Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wherever there's an evil-doer evil doing, I'll be there! [Draco!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 29, 2015, 02:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"I'm not always alone," Owl said with a dismissive wave of her gloved hand. "Just a lot of the time. But sometimes I have a friend with me! And sometimes," she added with a cheeky grin at Raizel, "I make a new kickass buddy! You know, I've actually found that, surprisingly, this business is a pretty great way of making friends. I would have never thought it in a million years, but you know what they say. Birds of a feather flock together!"

Badum tish! She'd be there all night.

But she really wasn't all that interested in being told how dangerous this was! That was a really downer topic, and she knew. Gods, did she ever know! And perhaps she was being really stupid and unsafe in her new quest to conquer her fears and stop hiding. Perhaps there was a balance to be found between bravery and cowardice. She just needed to find it.

For now, she was more interested in this Adela talk. She'd studied the nation a little, been tutored in its history and significance to Serendipity, but this woman was teaching her things she hadn't learned about. Her tutors had skipped over a lot of the military aspect.

Owl had learned some of it on her own, reading documents in the library.

She leaned her arms on the table. "I heard Adela even freely lets women in their ranks," she said. "I even read that for a while, their military commander was a woman."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Draconian

A kickass buddy.

Raizel smiled, then laughed softly at the pun, moving a hand to pluck at one of the black feathers on her cloak. The one she'd have to avoid wearing in Serendipity until further notice. Perhaps it was a good thing the Owl was there tonight, or those men wouldn't be taken in by simple authorities. Owl didn't have to know that though, so Raizel kept the information to herself.

Curiously she also leaned in, her arms on the table. "They do," Raizel found herself suddenly surprised with how much she knew about the military. What an odd thing to know. Though the past tense of the commander caught her interest, she hadn't known that. "Was she? Does she inspire you? I imagine that's quite the position." Raizel smiled, "Do you want to be a Commander in the Serendipity?" She brought a hand up to tap at her lips, "I imagine you would do well once you learned how to issue orders."

Rhindeer

Owl's eyes widened behind the mask.

"Kia's tits, that's an option?" she got out in a breathy rush, sitting up straighter in her excitement. "Holyshit. I didn't know...I hadn't ever thought...um, GODS yeah I'd wanna be a Commander! The Commander! That'd be like a dream! I guess I was kinda just...aiming low with the knight business, but if I could move up the ladder and be the bloody Commander...!"

She let out a happy laugh. "I mean, if she could do it, who's to say someone else couldn't? Damn right she's an inspiration! Like, how do you even--"

And then she stopped, realizing with a jolt of horror that she might have come dangerously close to outing herself as a woman.

She cleared her throat. "I mean, like, if a woman can rise to Commander, who's to say some lowly peasant guy can't?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Draconian

Raizel shook her head gently, tucked her white streaked hair behind her slightly pointed ear and just... Smiled. "Owl." Her voice was soft and she gently reached out and caught the vigilante's hand. "I know. It's okay. I imagine you spend a lot of time around men who, I assure you, aren't nearly as observant and they pretend to be." She let go and leaned back and tapped at the side of her head, indicating her eyes.

Raizel gave the disguise a look, but there were things that were so feminine about Owl, the way they stood, the subtle gestures. She recognized them in the way she herself stood and moved. "Watching how someone moves tells you a lot, I wouldn't worry though, about your disguise." A small smile and she nodded to the mask, the delightfully adorable mask.

A masked crime fighter. Raizel still found it endearing in many ways.

"I don't tell you this to alarm you, Little Owl." The raven made a noise and Raizel looked over her shoulder after a moment, frowning at it. Hopefully she wouldn't get kicked out for bringing a bird inside. "That said, of course you could be commander." She crossed her arms over her chest, "That woman in Adela did it, didn't she?" Whoever the heck that lady was, "I'm sure she just knows how to glare at people extra well."

Rhindeer

Owl's blood went cold, and for a second she froze as her heart must have stopped. Her stomach did queasy flip-flops as Raizel uttered the dreaded, I know. Eyes going wide, she stared up at the woman, then flicked a look nervously toward the whores--but they were too distracted to be listening in, and the place was loud and rowdy, besides. Still, she couldn't help that moment of terror when she thought, oh gods, she was about to be outed and maybe she didn't do such a good job pretending as she thought she did and what if Raizel figured out she was nobility and and and--!

And then Raizel reassured her, and she let her breath out in a soft whoosh and pressed a hand to her chest.

"Dear Kia, you nearly gave me a heart attack," she whispered, and let out a weak, uneasy laugh. "Jeez! Whew. Alright. Um, so...it's really not that obvious, right? It's just a 'woman's intuition' thing here, right? Woman to woman? 'Cause, er..."

She lowered her voice and leaned in closer. "People really can't know...you know?"

Draconian

There was a gentle shake of her head.

"No. It's not obvious." Raizel frowned at Owl, looking at her with a steady eye. It hadn't been a limb, she'd be fairly sure. The subtle things. All the little subtle things that tipped the scale. Things she hadn't even realized she'd been looking for. Perhaps it was her gut. Something deep down made Raizel want to protect this... Girl. No. This person.

"It's not even a woman's intuition." A small tilt of her head, "It's just ... Me. I find myself looking for subtle hints. Little things that no one else usually looks for." A small smile and Raizel pushed her hair behind her ear, the small point. One of those small movements that spoke more than words.

"You seem concerned with me telling people," A small smile and Raizel leaned back in her chair carefully, not wanting to irritate her back, "Have you ever seen me before tonight? Heard about me?" A small shake of her head, "I'm just ... Passing through. Sort of like a bird that's migrating. Going to greener pastures, hmm? So, how about that drink, fair Crime Fighter? You can get your manly drink, I'll get the tasty one and we can share." There was a pause and Raizel pursed her lips before it turned into a teasing smile "Toast your good fortune in meeting Raizel the Raven."

Rhindeer

That was true...being worried about her telling on her was kind of paranoid and silly! But Owl had reason to be paranoid these days! Though perhaps she'd grown overly paranoid?

She smiled sheepishly at the woman's words, though it soon gave way to a grin when she mentioned drinks and...and her name. Raizel the Raven?

Owl leaned forward on the table, elbows resting on the wood in a way that would have made her mother fuss and gripe because it was rude and improper! But common folk didn't seem to care as much about things like that. "Raizel the Raven?" she repeated, and laughed. "Was that...was that always your alias? Did we really just run into each other by chance and both have bird names?"

But it seemed fitting! Too fitting to be something the woman just made up on the spot for fun! After all, with her mostly black hair and the feathery bits she wore, and, you know, the part where she had an actual raven friend...

Owl passed a hand through her hair--or tried to, because she wound up just bumping her mask instead. She let her hand drop fast, hopefully before Raizel noticed her flub. "That can't just be coincidence. This is the sort of thing that happens in the stories, where two heroes meet supposedly by chance, but it turns out there was something bigger at work, driving them to meet to fulfill some greater purpose! Ebony!"

Owl twisted in her seat to wave at the woman when she saw that she was free. "Two drinks, please! One of those sweet ones that taste like berries, and that one that outs hair on your chest!"

Draconian

"Raizel is my alias, technically," A tilt of her head to the side and she smiled. "Unfortunately, I'd never thought of the bird part until I met you. Maybe I'll keep it while I'm in cities. Adds an air of mystery, don't you think?" The symbolism of the Raven suited her well enough. Though, she leaned forward and tilted her head, politely she waited until Einin ordered their drinks and she pursed her lips.

"Do you think there's something bigger at work? I've heard stories of Arca - though I don't recall from where - and it's little gang problem." A polite smile was given to the Ebony woman when she brought the drinks over, putting them both in the middle of the table simply because she wasn't sure what was for who. There was a lingering look to Owl from the woman and a bold wink before she went on her way.

Rhindeer

...Awkward.

These days, Owl couldn't help but just feel awkward when Arca's "gang problem" was brought up. Mainly because at one time, she'd been so keen on stomping them out (foolish thought though it had been, but she'd been more foolish back then!), and now...erhm...

Now she sympathized with its leader.

Of course that, too, was a bit complicated, a bit of a sore spot that still ached.

"Yeah, it's a problem, all right." Owl took up the drink (the "manly" one) and took a swig of it that just about slayed her. She coughed and choked as it burned all the way down, half convinced it was going to melt her insides. She pounded on her chest and wheezed. "Erk!" Cough. "Sorry! Wow. That burns. Uh. Excuse me." Another awkward clearing of her throat and she wiped away some tears when her eyes began to water.

"Anyway. Shit. Yeah, uh, you mean the Soot Wolves? Or..." She wiped at the corners of her mouth. "The goblins?"

Draconian

Raizel took a sip of her own drink before she slyly swapped the cups. There was an added wrinkle of her nose for show her distaste before she took the drink that made Owl choke and cough. Definitely a kid. Or at least a young adult. Raizel took a swig, made a face, but didn't sputter and cough. Again with the distasteful wrinkle of her nose and she tilted her head.

"Both I guess," There was a shrug, "Is there a difference?" Raizel gave a tilt to her head, "Don't they do the same thing?"

Rhindeer

Oblivious to Raizel's little switch-a-roo, Owl shook her head emphatically.

"No no no, not the same thing at all!" she said quickly. "The Soot Wolves are...they..." She frowned. "They're a problem. But they're people, too, and they don't just go around killing people or anything. They're misguided. But the goblins are...they're...they're sick."

Draconian

Raizel took another gulp from the manly drink and placed it back on the table. "Honestly I haven't heard of the Goblins." The reaction from Owl had Raizel lean slightly, a tilt of her head, "have you had a run in with them, then?" A small wrinkle of her nose and she tucked some of her hair behind her pointed ear.

"At least they're small?" Get some greaves on and punt the little bastards.

Rhindeer

Owl shifted uncomfortably, eyes shifting away. Yeah. This was not a fun topic. At all.

"They're small...but there's a lot of them," she said with a shudder. "Too many to fight off. I, uh...yeah. You could say I've, uh...I'm familiar with them."

Draconian

While she didn't recognize it, Raizel knew that look.

"Do you know where they are?" It was a cold voice. It matched the ice of her eyes and Raizel was surprised at herself. Protective. Angry. Someone so young shouldn't look so uncomfortable. And then there was a dark cold smile, "that's why you use a bladed pole arm. Wide arcs," a solemn nod, "cut the little bastards in half. Or thirds if they're short enough."

Rhindeer

"They're underground. Underground Arca, somewhere," Owl said with a frown, rubbing at her arms. "Um. I mean. If you wanna find them, it wouldn't be that hard, I imagine. Ah...I...don't imagine the leader was too happy about what happened. That I got out."

Another shudder, goosebumps on her arms, and she rubbed them away. She felt ill at the thought, at the memories, at the reminder that she had made...a lot of powerful enemies lately.

"Do you, um, know how to use a polearm?"

Draconian

Underground.

A suiting place for... Goblins. Gremlins. Whatever it was Owl said they were.  It made Raizel's chest ache to see the bravado clad Owl ... So small. Again the anger welled and she finished the Not So Good drink and placed it on the table. "Of course I do. What soldier worth their salt can't use a polearm?" The words were out before she thought of them and she gave a gentle frown.

"I'm much better with swords, but I can use just about anything." A tilt of her head, "do you just know swords?"

Rhindeer

"I just know swords," Owl confirmed with a nod. "Swords, and I can use a knife, too. And I can fight hand to hand and sneak and pick locks! I've got some tricks up my sleeve. But I don't know other weapons, no." She paused thoughtfully. "I could probably get a hold of a polearm..."

She'd just have to sneak into the armory, was all! Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

She leaned her arms on the table, and picked up the Good Drink that she thought was the Not So Good drink. "Think you could show me how to--wait, you're a soldier?"

Draconian

Sneaky.

Owl was a sneaky vigilante.

It made Raizel smile slightly and she moved a hand to her face to brush her gloved hand over her lip. The alcohol had her skin buzzing and she gently chewed on her lip and her eyes flashed to Owl when the word soldier popped up.

"Probably. I know how to fight too well to be a farmer," A flash of a smile and a tilt of her head, "muscle memory leads me to believe I was some sort of... " A shrug. Raizel didn't want to say bandit. Bandit didn't taste right in her mouth. The soft wurr of Aki in her hood had Raizel look over her shoulder and smile softly.

"I finished the gross drink for you, I didn't want you puking on the table."

Rhindeer

Owl blinked down at her drink at that, surprised because she hadn't seen Raizel switch them, then she gave a soft, amused snort and took a sip.

Muuuuch better. Seriously, why did men drink this stuff? Was their masculinity that fragile that they had to drink gross stuff? Or maybe the gross stuff made them drink less. Owl could see how it'd be tempting to drink a lot of the good, fruity stuff...

Peering at Raizel from over her glass, she tilted her head curiously. "So you really don't remember anything?"

Draconian

Raizel smiled at the curiosity.

"I wouldn't be running around in a feather cloak if I did, I imagine." She plucked at the cloak and then rested her head on her hand, peering at the owl across the table.

"You don't recognize me, do you?" A hopeful note to her voice because - maybe? - but there was no expectations.