Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Seal the Deal [m]

Started by Rhindeer, July 31, 2015, 10:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

[ @DaGlobster !]

Ghali was nothing if not a collector.

Only in his case, he tended to collect people, in one way or another.

Some were slaves, like Kuvira. Some were staff, his guardsmen and cooks and such. And some were curiosities, like Juras. Ghali had always had a love of the Colosseum games and he had heard word of the Longknife and how he, a volunteer, was rising through the ranks and starting to make a name for himself. It was definitely worth looking into, and when his men had confirmed that the rumors were true, Ghali decided he needed to be first to leap on the opportunity and sponsor him before others could.

It would be beneficial to them both. Ghali could provide him expert training, medical care, equipment, and better meals, and use his clout and influence to enter him into high profile matches Juras might otherwise not have access to, and as a result make a killing off of the winnings. Really, it was every gladiator's dream, free or slave, to receive the backing of a merchant prince. That was what really opened the doors for career advancement.

To celebrate their new partnership and seal the deal, Ghali invited Juras to dinner that night as a show of good faith and celebration--and because he always did love a good excuse to drink and feast. His cooks were whipping up quite the magnificent meal, complete with dessert, and Ghali was still fussing and getting ready and having his tailor do some last minute alterations to his rick silk robes, hemming it here and there. It was a bit tighter on him these days.

"Kuvira," he called, and she rose from where she'd been sitting on the bed. She, too, was dressed for the occasion, decked out in the gold jewellery (bracelets, anklets, and a lavish decorative collar) provided her by Ghali, though her clothing was simple but elegant; just a white sheath dress that reached her knees and hugged her shape, leaving little to the imagination. "Our guest should be arriving shortly. Be a dear and see he's made comfortable."

"Yes, master," she said with a bow, and turned to leave--but not before he gave her bottom a firm grope, his hand slipping up inside her dress. She was glad her back was turned so he couldn't see her scowl. Instead, she blushed prettily and made the proper noises, giving a coy little gasp and a soft, "Oh, master!"

It was amazing how some people never figured out she was faking.

"You look beautiful," he said. "Ravishing. I've half a mind to bend you over and have myself a little appetizer."

The tailor, who was busily fixing Ghali's other sleeve, cleared her throat loudly. Ghali glanced at her with raised eyebrows as though surprised she was still there, then slid his hand away.

"Right. Run along, then."

Thank freakin' Hakeshna.

With another graceful, "Yes, master," Kuvira smoothed down her dress and slipped out the door.

Finally!

At least tonight would be interesting. She'd get to actually meet a gladiator for more than five minutes, so that was something to spice up her otherwise dull social life. He would no doubt be leagues more interesting to listen to than Ghali's blabbering about things no one cared about but had to politely act like they did, and hopefully Ghali actually let him talk about the arena! Kuvira had been to several of the games over her life, and she quite enjoyed the bloodless ones--and on that league of thought, she couldn't help but wonder if this gladiator had ever killed someone.

As horrible as it was, there was something intriguing about the element of danger such a thing brought to the table.

And better yet, a partnership with him might give her easy access to arena information. She had learned of a few curious happenings over the last few weeks involving certain disobedient slaves--and it would be a good opportunity to get a finger on the pulse of such matters, and learn fact from fiction.

And so she waited near the door to let him in when he arrived and provide him whatever hospitality she could. Hopefully her master took longer; he tended to be fashionably late. She wanted a chance to feel him out on her own.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

---5 hours prior to Juras' expected arrival---

The door to Juras' flat swung open, and the gladiator stepped inside. Panting and sweating from his morning exercises, he stepped inside, boot crumpling the message that had been slipped under his door.

He stumbled into the kitchen, where he leaned on the counter, taking a moment to steady his racing heart and splash some water onto his face. He stretched, took an apple from a basket he had in his kitchen, and was about to head back out to the bathhouse when a scent caught his nose.

Was that... perfume?

He looked around, until he pinpointed the source to be a folded letter, slightly crumpled with a bootprint emblazoned upon it. He knelt down and picked it up, unfolding it to read what was inside.

"What the fu--"

---Present---

Five hours wasn't too big of a head start, especially when one's presence is requested by a godsdamned Merchant Prince of Essyrn. Thankfully, he already had suitable clothing, all he needed was to get himself cleaned, and proper.

Not too much, though. He knew sponsors liked to see gladiators as fierce beasts, so he made sure to balance his cleanliness with his, well... manliness, he supposed.

His clothing was little more than a simple, yet distinguished red silk vest, kept open down the middle and sleeveless so that his would-be sponsor could see Juras' perfectly maintained physique and collection of impressive, tale-worthy scars. One thing he didn't hold back on was his hair, naturally smooth and long due to his elven blood, and he had it thoroughly washed and styled so that it ran free. His many silver ear-piercings were replaced by gold ones, and he made sure that the leather for his belt was fine. His pants were of a similar style to his vest, in that they matched the colors and overall aesthetic.

And of course, there was the weapons.

Juras collected his finest weapons to show Ghali. On his back was a flamberge he'd obtained in Adela, and on his hips was a fine, Serenian rapier, and a majestic Essyrni scimitar. The various daggers and throwing knives on his person were elegant as well, balanced in both form and function.

And so it was with this very same getup that Juras strode to the front door of Ghali's estate, once the guards at the gate had let him in. He steeled himself a bit, brushed some loose hairs behind his pointed ears, made sure his handsome, elvish face was free of dust or sand, and he rose his knuckles to the door.

He knocked three times, with both strength and authority. Truly, the knock of a distinguished guest.

Rhindeer

A knock sounded shortly after Kuvira arrived, and she took a deep breath to compose herself before she strode to answer it. Unlatching the lock, she pulled the door open.

And stared.

It was only a brief stare, a wide-eyed look as she hadn't been expecting anyone so refined, but she caught herself and dutifully dropped her eyes to the floor and stepped aside to let him in.

"My master welcomes you, sir," she greeted with a bow, her many tiny braids cascading over her shoulders. She straightened back up again, but still kept her eyes down and hands clasped in front of her. "He asks that you make yourself at home, and that he will be down shortly. Can I get you a drink, sir?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Juras stared too, for a moment. Kuvira's clothing was successful in catching his eye, but it was only for a moment, as Juras tried to remove the distraction from his mind. He strode inside with all the confidence and bravery of a proper gladiator, eyes scanning about.

Finally, they fell back onto Kuvira.

"The coldest water you have."

Rhindeer

Only water? Head bowed, Kuvira lifted an eyebrow at that but quickly smoothed out her features. Well, there would be plenty of wine with dinner; perhaps he didn't want to spoil it. Either way, it wasn't her place to question one's choices.

"As you wish, sir," she said with another bow before she turned. "Please, follow me."

There was a lush lounge outside the dining room used to entertain guests, and it was there that Kuvira lead him. There were several plush couches, capable of seating several people, arranged in the room with a table before them, and she bade Juras to sit where he please. "Be at home, sir," she said. "Make yourself comfortable. If you wish, you may hang your weapons so that you might rest easy." She motioned to a rack on the far wall used for that purpose, and then bowed again. "Please excuse me. I'll return with your drink shortly."

She slipped off past the large doors that lead into the dining room and kitchens, and returned several minutes later with a tray balancing a pitcher of ice water, a glass, and a bowl of sliced lemon. She knelt beside the table, set the tray down, and poured a glass of water from the pitcher. "Lemon, sir?" she asked.

DaGlobster

Juras sat himself down at the edge of one couch, deciding that it would be okay to slouch, since his sponsor had not yet arrived. Juras pondered the implications that the man was somehow late to an event held in his own house while he waited on the water, fingers tapping the armrest of the couch.

Juras' ears perked up a bit when Kuvira asked him if he wanted lemons, and a thoughtful look passed over him.

"Just the plain water, actually. I'll have a few lemons separately."

He crossed one leg over the other, and shook his head to set his hair back into place.

Rhindeer

"As you wish, sir," Kuvira said, and slid the water glass and the bowl of lemons over to him. She rose back to her feet. "Is there anything else I can provide you while you wait?"

And she watched him from beneath her eyelashes, trying to get a good look at him without looking at him directly--or at least not while he noticed. Really, she was dying to talk to him, but this sort of thing was a precarious balancing act. She could speak freely around others of her station, but with other folks it was safer to be invited to speak first. Unfortunately, few had reason--or desire--to speak to a slave.

DaGlobster

Juras almost thanked the girl, before he remembered that thanking a slave was a faux pas in Essyrn. He took a sip of his water, and sighed pleasantly, closing his eyes.

Nothing like ice water to beat the heat.

Kuvira might have been used to sneaking looks on mundane people, but Juras' elvish eyes were much sharper than the average man's. He noticed her trying to look at him, so, he decided he'd indulge the poor girl.

"Gladiators pique your interest much?" he asked, giving Kuvira a friendly smile to let her know it was okay to speak to him.

Rhindeer

It was an effort not to smile. Instead, Kuvira ducked her head in feigned shyness and humility, letting a light blush rise to her cheeks as though embarrassed to have been caught.

"Oh, yes, sir, very much so," she said, keeping her eyes lowered. "My master, ever gracious, has taken me to many of the games, and I have always enjoyed them. The killing I find difficult, however, I..." She trailed off, biting her lip as though uncertain. "I apologize, sir. I may have spoken too much."

DaGlobster

"Oh, don't worry about it. Speak freely. It's better than sitting here in silence, waiting for my gracious host to attend his own event."

Okay, that might've come out a bit too sassy, but in the end, his audience was the right one. He just hoped she wasn't one of those slaves who actually liked their masters. Those were weird.

Rhindeer

Kuvira's eyes widened in genuine surprise at that, and she covered her hand with her mouth to keep from laughing outright. She had...never really heard anyone insult her master like that. Had never really been in the presence of anyone who dared, even in private! He was a powerful man, after all. Of course she knew people disliked him, but they always kept it on the inside.

He had eyes and ears everywhere, so most were too nervous, just in case.

She cleared her throat and tried to subdue her expression. "I...yes, sir," she said, struggling to recover from her own amusement, and deciding that, yes, she liked this one. When she was composed again, she said, "How long have you been fighting?"

DaGlobster

In Juras' defense, it could've been an insult, or it could've been a completely objective statement of truth.

"Well, I've only been with the Colosseum for, say... a year and a half. But I've been fighting ever since my mother died."

He paused to take a sip.

Rhindeer

"A long time then, sir?" Kuvira ventured, still a little cautious. One never knew where one's boundaries were unless outright stated--and there were always boundaries that could be crossed, even when told "speak freely".

DaGlobster

Juras nodded.

"I'm fifty-three years old, and my mother died when I was eleven."

He was quiet for a couple of seconds, before he realized he might have to clarify something.

"Fifty-three's young for a half-elf."

Rhindeer

It was good he clarified, because Kuvira just about choked. He didn't look any older than her!

"That is quite a long time," she said instead, recovering from her surprise. "No wonder you have been so successful in the Colosseum, sir. You must have made quite a name for yourself, for my master to show such an interest in you." She offered up a smile. "He only enjoys the best."

DaGlobster

Juras smiled at that, and continued to sip his water. He took up a lemon, and squeezed some of it into his water, and the rest into his mouth.

"Well, I aim to please. I'm nothing if not a professional."

Rhindeer

"And to have survived so long!" Kuvira continued in a whispered rush. "I have heard most gladiators do not have so long a career. You must be very skilled."

DaGlobster

"Well, in truth, I've only been a gladiator for a year and a half. Ever since I turned sixteen, I've made my fortunes as a mercenary. With the two side by side, by career as a gladiator is little more than a hiccup."

He looked at Kuvira, reading her eyes with his incredibly sharp elven ones.

Rhindeer

"Two dangerous careers then, sir?" Kuvira said, eyes wide with surprise and admiration. "I should love to see you in action one day. It is my hope that Master will take me with him, when you next fight." She cocked her head curiously. "When will that be?"

DaGlobster

"Well, I have a fight coming up in a couple of days, but I presume your master has many more in store for me."

Another sip of his water, another lemon slice.

"Does your master frequently sponsor gladiators?"