Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Light before the Storm

Started by Parkway, November 02, 2015, 06:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parkway

@Jelenis Tythe

Opaas guided the horse towards the Yoreiqi Isles, they were headed for the largest Yoreigi.  He knew it was not too far from the ports from the letter she had sent all those years ago.  The weather was on their side.  It only grew nicer closer to the island. 

He knew Engof would need to rest soon but he urged him on.  He could see it.

The day was waning as they closed in on it.  But even he could tell from the air nobody was there.  He guided Engof to land.  He was greatly disappointed.  There was only one location left and if they were not there he wouldn't know where to go. 

Engof easily came in and landed as though he had been born with the wings.  Opaas quickly dismounted.  He patted the horse's neck and whispered to him.  "Wait here old friend let me check to be sure it is safe."

"I just want to check and see if any other unsavory bodies are here.  Give me a moment."  Opaas couldn't hide his disappointment.  Every hour the boy stayed with the demons the graver the situation would become. 

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin landed on a more loftier perch and surveyed the place, he liked being up higher, more like the eyrie at home.  It was clear that there was no-one here but it was time to rest and not far from Opaas and Engof he saw the black mist settle and vanish, Bel and Tray were still hidden.

He shook his head.

Demons...and their politics....House fighting House....the Fifth and the Tenth had been at it for as long as he could recall.  There had been some terrible and bloody battles and Sabre's father had sent his most merciless into battle...Viola and Abigor, he prayed they were still engaged somewhere because if they were there with Sabre they stood no chance at all.  It had been gratuitous news the day that Sabre had been kidnapped by the King of the Fifth...Jelenis father Kelendir had been sly and clever....it gave him an advantage. It looked though that Kelendir had passed and Sabre was free, now King of the Tenth due to his own father's passing.  Jelenis was heir to Kelendir's kingdom but Sabre would never allow that. He would destroy the Angelic power in the boy, corrupt him and force him into his service.

He wrapped his wings about himself and watch Opaas on the ground.

Jelenis Tythe

Bel and Trayder sat in an unseen huddle discussing what was happening, why it had happened and how they could sort out Sabre when they found him.

"The King of the Fifth is dead." Tray said softly.

"Jelenis is his natural heir and Sabre knows this...but he knows that he cannot let him take the throne.  He will not allow it, he will seek to corrupt Jelen and have him declared unfit for rule and he would annexe the Fifth to the Tenth."

Bel sat quietly listening to all Trayder said and he did agree.

"Jelenis is a half demon, he will corrupt him most foully with the help of his minions....if Abigor and Viola have been called we stand no chance Tray!" The old general said softly.

"I no longer have the strength or the power to fight Abigor and he knows this.  It was rumoured that he also lusted after Sabre...which gives him further incentive to protect him."

Trayder growled.

"So Jelen is lost to us!"

Bel lowered his head and nodded.

"We will not reach them before the act is done...."

Parkway

Opaas did a full sweep.  Only then was he comfortable enough to rest.  He went to look for Alorin.  "I know, I know...don't mock me.  I just needed to check it for myself.  Made me feel better."  He smiled at the Angelic.

"So one more place to try and if they are not at the Fortress I just wouldn't know where to look."  He stopped for a moment, he had another question but hesitated to ask more from fear then anything.  He looked to see if the other two demons where near them.  Not that he cared but he wondered.  With a deep breath he just let out his question.  "Alorin, could they be in..."  He felt foolish even saying it for he knew not how all this worked.  "In this ring?  I mean would my sister be dead then?  Are demons dead?"  He had no idea and felt a bit foolish asking but he would rather know the answer.

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin thought about the answer to that question, demons were alive, but their longevity of life far outstretched anything in the mortal realm.  It was unlikely they had gone back to the Ring yet but it could be entirely possible they were gearing up to.  It was be easier for Belisarius to track them in the Ring, but he knew the old General would be wary about entering another family's domain outside his own.  Such incursions were acts of war.

"They are alive....but have impossibly long life spans....they are tricky to kill except with certain weapons, they can be repelled by holy icons." He said finally.

"And no...they are not back in the Ring, Bel and Trayder would not be here if they were."

Parkway

Opaas was pleased to know they were still here and obtainable.  He thought over what Alorin had told him.  It was difficult but they could be killed. 

"Thank you my friend.  It seems there is much I do not know about demons.  To think they walk amongst us.  For me this is disturbing for I truly just never took truth to stories of possession.  I sometimes thought it was a person's way of gaining attention.  I see I was mistaken."

He began to tend to Engof as a way to relieve his worry and stress.  The lighthouse was falling apart but there was an outdoor pump and with a few hardy pumps it yielded.  First brown but soon enough clear cool water.  With a dusty cracked pale the only thing in site he rinsed it out and filled it for Engof, more than once.

Jelenis Tythe

Bel sensed it, a stirring in the Ring Plane, their home.  Demons from this plane were moving in numbers back to that place.

"Do you feel it?" He said softly to Tray.

The younger closed his eyes and reached out to attune himself to their plane of existence and Bel was right. Armies were withdrawing from the ravaged Fifth Ring and returning to the Tenth.

"They are withdrawing, others are going from here to there....that must mean...."

Bel nodded.

"He is going home....he is claiming his kingdom!  Where we need to go...they cannot." He gestured to the Elf and the Angelic.

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin sensed it, the shift in the two demons mood and their secretiveness.

They knew something.....and they were not sharing as promised.

He called to Opaas to come and join him.

He gestured to a seemingly empty spot along the coast from them.

"They are plotting and planning....they have a sense for something....perhaps they have scented Sabre." He said softly.

"But they do not plan to share!"

Jelenis Tythe

Bel was getting ready to go, he rose and nudged Tray with his foot.

"We need to go home!" He said softly.

"If we are in the Ring Plane we will know if they return home....this journey of the elf and Angelic will prove fruitless, Sabre has been very careful to cover his tracks and I am sure wherever they are on this wretched plane they will erase any sign of ever having been here."

Trayder glanced up the beach to where the Angelic sat with the elf.

"Can we make it out before he realises...the last thing I want is a vengeful Angelic hot on our heels!  The elf we can deal with....his winged companion with the Iperion blade is an entirely different matter!"

Bel snorted.

"Two of us...one of him....I am not so old that I cannot slay an Angelic....I have taken down many."

Bel had already started the spell to portal them home.

"We have been out of the Plane a long time Trayder....time to go!"

Parkway

Opaas struggled still internally.  He was sitting there as the night fell.  He wasn't hungry.  He wasn't tired.  yet he was exhausted.

"I hope we find them at the next location.  The boy, your nephew, will you take him back with you?" 

He couldn't help but wonder about his sister.   

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin nodded.

"I hope to take him somewhere but it depends very much on whether the demons have corrupted him." He said softly.

"If that has begun there may be nothing I can do and he will remain with them."

Something was not sitting right at the moment, Bel and Trayder were too far away from where they sat.  He felt it, a rumble, a tingling through the air, the slippery bastards were opening a portal...they were leaving this plain.

"Damn it!" He hissed grabbing his sword.

"They are leaving!"

Parkway

Opaas grabbed his sword and followed the Angelic.  "Leaving?"

Fear like none he has ever felt before coursed though him.  As he followed the other being he didn't hesitate.  Opaas was a fighter.  He was a good leader and commanded others to glory.  This would be like nothing he had ever dealt with before.  Were they following the demon?  Into their realm?  When he said they were leaving he remembered something from earlier.  The two demons where here because this Sabre was if they were leaving that means this Sabre was taking his sister, the Angelic's nephew back from which he came.  Hell.  No other word came to his mind as he blindly follow Alorin.

Jelenis Tythe

Just as they sprinted across the beach towards an empty space there was an enormous thunderclap which would knock Opaas from his feet and Alorin dropped to one knee and bent his head against the shock wave. The demons had gone, the Angelic could see that, the barest shred of the portal shimmered.

He rose quickly and drew his sword jamming it into a seemingly empty space but the shining blade just hung there, but only a few inches of the blade and the hilt could be seen. He took a deep breath and touched the sword closing his eyes, he could feel where they went....back to the Fifth Ring it seemed....Sabre would not be there....why did they go home?

He turned and helped Opaas to his feet.

"I have prevented the portal from fully closing...they have not gone to Sabre....they have gone home...not sure why." He said softly.

Parkway

Opaas looked at him.  Then realization dawned.   "You want me to enter?"  It wasn't a question he really expect the Angelic to answer without another word he looked back at Engof sent a pray that he'd be cared for and slipped into the portal.

Tags: