Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All In A Days Work [M]

Started by visualspice, November 06, 2015, 01:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

The moment their eyes met, he froze. His heart, he could feel it, beating inside his throat. He didn't bother to swallow it away. Her eyes said so much.

So he crossed the gap between them and wrapped his arms around her, tight.
"Isn't it obvious?" his voice was shallow, a raspy thread above a whisper.
"I had to protect you. I needed to."

He hugged her tighter, burying his face into her neck as he sighed hotly, taking i her scent as he let all of his pent up feelings blow out.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Jynx's eyes blew wide and she went stiff in his arms, mouth open but no sound able to escape her throat.

And then she crumbled, reaching up to wrap her arms around him and digging her nails into his back as she all but crushed herself against him. Her eyes burned and she clenched them shut against what she knew were inevitable tears; she just clung to him, shaking, gasping shallow breaths as she felt him turn his face into the curve of her neck.

"You shouldn't have done that," she whispered, raw and broken. "I--I'm not worth this. I'm not worth you."

She would find a way to get him out of this. She had to. She had a year to do it--and Ilieth was likely more interested in tormenting her than actually killing Trest. Maybe that would give her some leverage.

"I'm sorry." Her voice was so soft it was nearly inaudible as she pressed her face against his shoulder. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I never--I didn't--"

Words failed her and she just held him, trembling.

visualspice

He let her cry, vent, and bury herself into him. He just held her, a fist brushing through her hair. After it seemed she calmed, a little, he kissed the top of her head and moved to touch just beneath her chin, prompting her to look up into his eyes.

"You know, for someone who didn't make these choices," he went on, with a grin. "You're sure making an awful fuss over mine. Come on now. I'm a big boy. I know what I'm doing."
The grin widened as he stole a kiss.
"Besides, we got a year, don't we?" He winked and pulled away, staring now over at the food she had been preparing admirably.
"Is any of that burning? I'm kinda hungry.."
And his stomach's noises could attest to that.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"...That plate's yours." She nudged the food toward him as he pulled away, and somehow managed to force something like her usual crooked smile. "I already ate."

She hadn't, not since that morning. But honestly she wasn't sure she'd be able to keep anything down if she tried. It had been all she could do earlier to choke down a few bites of stolen sweet buns.

She'd always been like this, even was she was a girl. Stress, fear, even intense anger--somehow, they made her sick.

Her eyes flickered to the thin, silvery scar on Trest's arm. She forced herself to look away, up into his face with another smile. "It's we now, huh?" she noted with a quirked eyebrow. "What, do I get my own room?"

visualspice

Trest picked up the plate, his expression brightening-
That was until she mentioned her own room. He paused just before he bit into some of the food and raised a brow sharply in her direction.

"Say what now? Your own room?"

DragonSong

Jynx froze, just for a moment. Then she arched an eyebrow of her own and cocked her head. "Well, for the next few days at least, I'm gonna have to teach you about demons, it seems," she noted blithely. "Be easier to do that if I had a place to stay here. But you could always trek out to the seedier inns where I've been staying," she added wryly.

visualspice

"Oh?" His smile grew easier, more playful. "And here I thought you wanted to move in." He popped some food into his mouth and chewed.  "You know..." he sucked the grease from his fingers, not once breaking her gaze. "Like permenantly."

DragonSong

Once again she froze, though it lasted longer this time. She opened her mouth, shut it, frowned, then opened it again.

"...And...if I did?" Oh dear gods what am I doing? This was such a bad idea. This was going to make everything worse, just make it hurt more when-- "I'm assuming you'd have some opinions on the idea?"

visualspice

His eyes seemed to chuckle as he shrugged.
"Just thinking I might need to get you your own bed if that's the case." He ate some more. Swallowed.
"Or a bigger.. stronger one."

DragonSong

Jynx continued to stare at him. Behind the slight smirk, her eyes seemed to have softened a bit. "Well I don't want to disparage the integrity of your bed, but...yeah. If I'd be staying her a little...less temporarily, maybe a sturdier piece of furniture would be warranted."

She picked absently at her own food, head tilted as she watched him. "You'd be...okay with that?"

visualspice

"What? Getting a new bed? Who doesn't like a new piece of furniture?"

DragonSong

"Uh-huh."

She liked to think that she knew better at this point than to try to pin him down. So she just smiled and shook her head—seemed she'd be staying here for the time being, and if he really wanted her to leave, she was sure he'd find a way to let her know.

She stood and began clearing the dishes, tossing over her shoulder, "What kinda library are you working with in this place?" in a seemingly rather abrupt change of topic.

visualspice

"Library?" Trest was going for seconds of whatever was left of breakfast. "All my books are in my study," he went on with a shrug and another stuff of food into his mouth.

DragonSong

"Mmm." Jynx looked around. Damn, she wished she was a little more literate--she couldn't tell at a glance if any of the volumes might actually be useful.

With a soft, huffing sigh, she braced her hip against the back of Trest's chair and raked a hand through her curls, tousling them absently. "Don't suppose you've got any reliable texts on demonology lying around?"

visualspice

He should have been clever enough to put two and two together. But as it stands, he had a rather long... day.. days? He should have known what she was getting on asking for books.

"Well," he went on, sighing as he put away his plate. "Can't say I just keep knowledge of demons around on me, if that's what you're asking."

He followed her gaze to his books, arms folded.

"No, my collection is a lot more boring than that."

He pursed his lips, eyes moving in thought.

"But I have a lot of connections with... someone who might have just the book we seek."

DragonSong

She quirked an eyebrow. "Connections, huh?"

Without really thinking about it, she allowed the hand that had been combing through her own hair to fall and rest on his shoulder, absently playing with the ends of his hair as she pursed her lips in thought.

Fifteen years--or nearly--and I've never figured out a way to break this deal...

It didn't matter. She had to do it now. Necessity was the mother of ingenuity...or something like that.

Huffing out a breath, Jynx shook her head and glanced down at him with a wry quirk to her lips. "Well, Ser Hawk. Seems we've got some homework to do. Once you've finished your breakfast."

She stepped away from him, fingertips lingering on his shoulders for just a moment as she did. She needed to fetch her grimoire from where she'd hidden it--gods, had that really only been five days ago? She supposed she could always send a demon to do it, maybe Kori...

visualspice

"So you think that's the solution? Or at least a good start to one," he went on, cleaning up after his breakfast while eyeing her from his shoulder now. "We find a good dark book on demons and set to studying?"
It didn't seem too far fetched-
Though he wouldn't have considered that first, find a book to fight demons.

DragonSong

Jynx smirked at him. "How do you think demonlords first learned their trade?"

Muttering the incantation under her breath, she bit her thumb and snapped her fingers to call forth one of her smaller companions, a few drops of blood dripping onto white and scarlet fur as Kori popped into being at her feet and looked up at her expectantly, head cocked.

"You remember where the grimoire is, yeah? Could you fetch it here for me?"

The demon yapped and vanished again in a flutter of wings.

Jynx looked back up at Trest. "So. That's one book we need accounted for, at least. What's this connection of yours?"

visualspice

"Well, I can't be too well organized with criminals if I keep my ears shut to secrets here and there- even if they don't pertain to my immediate interests. I know of a few underground trades on things like these. I'm well aware of how potent certain magics can be, and considering where we are..." he gave a shrug. "I'd be a big imbecile for not keeping tabs on things that seem a little... dark and dangerous, as it were. But, I suppose we ought to get ready for the day. Normally I send someone to deal with this person, but I don't think we have time to play the go around."

A year was a year...
But the sooner they could deal with this, the better. His life was on the line too- even if he was trying to keep any fear towards it subdued.

"I'm going to draw a bath, get on my fancy, crime lord clothes. You going to tag along with so I know which books might be of value? Apparently this guy has a library of his own. Two sets of eyes is better than one." Especially one that actually knows a thing or two about dark arts.

DragonSong

She snorted. "Course I'm coming along. You couldn't get rid of me now if you tried, Ser Hawk."

Possibly literally. They both owed a debt to the same demon after all. Debts with the same deadline.

But she kept her voice light, shrugging blithely. "Once Kori gets back with my grimoire, I'll be able to start looking for--"

As if on cue, the cat demon swooped into the room--somehow from the stairs to the bedroom, which Jynx honestly didn't know how he'd managed. He circled her once, then dropped a thick, old, slightly off-putting tome with leather buckles and two locks holding them in place into her waiting hands.

"Thanks, kitten." She flicked her fingers at the creature, murmuring a banishment, and Kori vanished with another rippling of white fur and feathers.