Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All In A Days Work [M]

Started by visualspice, November 06, 2015, 01:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Guess not all demons tend to be blood lusty and want our necks," he commented with a smirk. Admirably so, he added, "Bet you'll miss summons like that once we figure this all out." Demon summoning definitely had it's perks.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"Mm?" She cocked her head at him, brow slightly furrowed. "Why should I—oh!"

She blinked as she realized what he was getting at. For some reason, it hadn't occurred to her that she'd never told him...

"Trest, I don't get my abilities from Ilieth." She glanced away with a sour quirk to her lips. "Not all of them. I was...born like this. The little ones, anyway, I can do those summons all on my own."

But there was more to it. A lot more—and he was right. If she ever managed to get out of her contract, the largest portion of her power would just...cease to exist. It was strange to think about; stranger still to actually hope for.

visualspice

"Born like this?" Trest repeated. He was shocked, to say the least, but should he be? He never much pressed into her powers. Perhaps it was because he just accepted it for what it was.
He smirked as he listened.
"Then I guess you wouldn't lose your little 'pets'."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

She answered him with a half smirk of her own. "Most of them, yeah."

It was...nice, to talk like this. Like she actually had a chance at a future beyond this deal, beyond Ilieth.

"Alright." She shook herself briskly, double checking to make sure her grimoire was secured. "We're burning daylight, yeah? The sooner we can come up with some ideas, the sooner we can get out of this—"

She winced instinctively, expecting a burst of pain from Ilieth. The demon was always lurking in the back of her skull, she was honestly a little surprised he didn't seem to care what they were planning. But then...

Her eyes flicked to Trest again. Well. The reason Ilieth had seemed to hate him so much was because he couldn't reach her so easily around him, right? Unless that was another trick.

visualspice

Trest blinked and looked at Jynx then looked all around then looked at her again.

"You... okay?" He looked around, one eye cocked. He.. didn't hear anything.

Until he did.

He heard the distinctive clip clopping of approaching horses-
And a coach.

Trest instantly made his way to the window and looked out.

"Shit."
The little caravan outfront looked like anything but those he worked for.

What shitty timing.

He turned to Jynx.

"Uh... wait right here." And he rushed from the room.

DragonSong

"Hm? Oh, yeah. Yeah, I'm fine..." She stared at him for a moment, resisting the urge to worry her lower lip. She...really should tell him. It might be important. "Hey, Trest--"

Before she could get a full sentence out, he was at the window. She was a beat behind him, eyes widening slightly at the caravan on the street. "Shit?" she repeated, turning to look up at Trest.

Who was already starting to rush from the room.

"Wait right--what? Tr--Hawk!" Damnit! Jynx wanted to follow him, but wasn't sure how that might be recieved. Muttering to herself, she bit her nails into her palm and muttered an incantation, summoning Tiameth.

"Follow him, and keep hidden. Come get me if he needs help." The little demon chirped and fluttered away.

visualspice

Down below, a caravan of carriages was pulling up to his small, 3 story home.  They were pulled by stark white horses, freshly brushed and trained to stop neatly,  which is exactly what they did as Trest moved to wave the horses to stop. They weren't too far from his property,  and he seemed anything but happy to see whoever it was in tow.

DragonSong

Not sure what else she could--or should--do, Jynx pressed herself against the wall by the upper window and peered out into the street. Her eyebrows crept up nearly into her hairline as she watched the carriage approach, Trest seemingly irritated, but waiting to meet them.

Hidden in the shadows around at the corner of the house, Tiameth chittered softly to herself as she settled in to watch at her mistress's order, wings flared slightly--prepared to spring to the air and chirp a warning if it was needed.

visualspice

He was far enough away that their voices didn't carry, but on occasion, Trest's would. Most of his words were to the effect  he 'didn't care' would 'deal with this later' and had way more pressing matters to deal with than his family's estate

But whatever was said next caused a tense silence before Trest moved to storm back towards the house.

Then it was clear what the other man was shouting.
"This is a cowards way! To turn your back on your rightful family call!"

Which caused Trest to halt, turn and spit back at the men, many words with colorful flare (most of the angered variety) before he told them he has every 'Gods damned right to storm off enraged by his 'uninvited guests' whom, it seemed, when pomp and flare were tossed back at then, grew equally quiet and mad before barking off their promise of a return and a proper summons.

"And don't forget," the man added at Trest's retreating form. "Your time to decide is running out."
And the men on white horses began to retreat as Trest disappeared back into his house.

DragonSong

When the shouting started in earnest, Tiameth chittered again and swooped and skittered her way up and back through the window of Trest's office to perch on her mistress's shoulder and nuzzle into her neck.

Jynx nodded, scratching the little imp under the chin, and sent her back through the Veil with a casual flick of her wrist. Now that the "conversation" below had escalated, she could really hear everything she needed to without the demon's help.

She watched from her spot at the window, waiting until Trest was at the door before she actually moved, heading for the stairs.

Your time to decide is running out.

Her mouth twisted sourly. Seemed they were working with limited time on all fronts, whatever...that was.

She was waiting at the base of the stairs when Trest got back inside, arms folded and eyebrows raised, head cocked slightly to the side. "You...wanna tell me what that was about?"

The words were a little brisk, but her tone was surprisingly gentle. For once, she didn't actually want to push him for information. Not to mention the last time his family matters had come knocking, she'd had to deal with a drunk, handsy, rather obnoxious version of the Hawk. Maybe she could head off the drinking if she was quick enough...

visualspice

Trest didn't look at her, blue eyes fixated on the wall while his hands fidgets over whatever was nearest by- which just so happened to be a stack of accounting books strewn upon a side table along the front room's eastern wall. His lips were pursed, brow cut sharply before he just-

Sighed.

A hand moved to cover his brow as he leaned over, shaking his head.

"I'm just... tired."

Too many complications too soon. It seemed they'd be juggling one demon, then another. But part of him smirked- albeit sourly at the thought. At least his own demons were just an inconvenience of a soured past. Her's...
He tapped his fingers now and let the book's pages settle.

For a moment, he was quiet, body tense- the sensation almost itching before he turned to her but the moment he opened his mouth, the door...
Just opened.

"Oh, dear, it's unlocked but oh-OH! My lord-"

The words cut between Trest and Jynx like a whip and he was quick to whirl around to see the formal messenger-
INSIDE.
He was just inside.

No knocking. No introductions. No 'oh excuse me'...

He was just there.

For a moment, Trest was left gaping, like a fish. He caught none of the words the man prattled on about before he suddenly snapped back to his senses and shouted entirely too loudly...

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN HERE!?"

"Well the door was open and I-"

"DIDN'T YOU EVER HEAR OF KNOCKING!?" His voice was like a lion's- the other man, sensibly older, cowered back at the roar. And his eyes immediately moved to avoid Trest's gaze and...

Fell squarely upon Jynx. And then his eyes widened.

"Oh! I uh.. see you have company. Forgive me my lady for my rude intrusion," the man went on, bending over in the most rigid of bows.

DragonSong

Jynx frowned, and moved down another step, then another. "Trest..."

She started to reach out to him--then the door opened and her eyes widened. She moved to skitter back instinctively before remembering that would inherently make her more suspicious and forcing herself to hold her ground.

Then Trest roared and she flinched, memories long buried surging to the surface before she forced them back down and took the last few stairs at a brisk pace to grab his arm. "Trest. Calm down," she urged quietly, reaching up to turn his face toward her, hoping to distract him from the messenger somehow and hopefully at least begin to cool his temper.

But then the messenger saw her--saw her, standing there in his house, wearing a man's shirt that was far too big for her and very little else, touching Trest with far too easy familiarity--and then he bowed.

She gaped at him.

"Um...that's--it's--don't worry about it?" she managed to stammer out after a mute, shocked moment where all she did was stare. She looked back up to Trest, eyebrows raised in a silent, slightly frantic question. What the hells am I supposed to do?!

visualspice

Trest's eyes flared to Jynx, then went back to the man and if it was possible- his entire being tensed. It could be said, despite his complexion, he was beginning to turn red.

"Oh, but it is truly rude of me to intrude on the intimate statures of my Lord and his uh.. Lady-" where the man posed, raising a brow and looking at her, then slowly towards Trest as if to seek an answer.

"Jessica," came his bite of a reply. A feral growl, really. He was to upset to realize- that though he intended to use a false name-
He actually had.. in fact, given out her real name and though it , in the moment, did not occur to him- he continued-

"Lady Jessica Arristaire, who-" and it was only when his second bit of a the lay was spiting out in flames did he begin to realize his mistake..
Then the second..
Especially as the man's brows began to rise so far up upon his head that when he looked at 'Jessica' then back to Trest, he was positively gaping, and almost smiling like a dope.

"Arristaire? A cousin- perha-"

"Wife." Trest bit in, his voice sounding so salty it was hard to get down.

Dear God..
Where was he going with this!?
What in the heavens was he doing!?

And now it seemed..
Everyone was SPEECHLESS.

"W-w-.... your.... wife?"

And when it was repeated, it was only then Trest realized the pile of shit he just roped in.
Gods be damned- DID HE REALLY HAVE TO SHOW UP NOW!?
And why was his mind so BLINDED that he had to spit out TWO obvious  mistakes that he would not have to quickly counter or make up believable lies for!

And he had a feeling.. his new 'wife' would be in just as equally (if not a lot more so..) shock than himself...
And he had to wonder..

Just how pissed off she was going to be.

DragonSong

The use of her real name actually made her flinch, though she hid it quickly with little more than a sharp glare toward Trest.

Then he said “Jessica Arristaire”, and her eyes blew wide. There was a moment, just half a heartbeat, where she felt her hand moving up to cover her scar subconsciously before she realized what she was doing and forced it down again.

What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck what the—

“Wife.”

FUCK.

If they’d had the time, she would have gaped at him. Or hit him. Possibly both.

But it was too late, he’d said it, and she’d worked enough cons in her life to know the importance of commitment to an unexpected snag. So she wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned into his side with a slow, knowing smile toward the servant hovering in the doorway. “Yes,” she purred, “wife.”

She reached up to stroke Trest’s jaw lightly, giving him a sugary sweet smile and eyes that promised murder, before returning her attention to their guest. “And it is something of a...recent arrangement. I’m sure you understand newlyweds prefer a, ah...a bit of time to themselves?” She smirked, eyebrow arched meaningfully, then tipped her chin up as imperiously as she could manage—trying to channel a noblewoman despite her distinctly less than noble current situation—and made a little shooing motion toward the door. “Be a dear and come back later, would you?”

After I fucking STRANGLE your employer, preferably.

visualspice

As awkward as it was...

and near painful to bear...

There was a strange twist of a smile drawn across the man's face before he regained some sense of himself and closed his lips. He stood much more proper and bowed to them both this time.

"Well, my Lord.. and... Lady," he began, the smile clearly there on his face and voice. "I am so terribly sorry to have intruded. I will take this wonderous news back to me and return the next morning."

"Return the next-" Trest began to protest.

"There is much to be done with this unexpected news! To hear such a thing- that the Lord of the estate has indeed married.... We will have to conduct all of the paper work and proprieties to facilitate the known will and-"

Trest didn't know what else the man was saying.
Perhaps he was agreeing.
Perhaps he was just babbling incoherently.
But when the man left- and SMILING as he did so...

Trest felt so very, very rigid-
and felt such a suffocating sensation from his.. 'wife'...
That he couldn't even look her way- blue eyes glued to the now closed front door.

DragonSong

"Of course." Jynx dug her nails into Trest's arm where she gripped it when he started trying to cut across the messenger, but she needn't have bothered, apparently. The man seemed entirely unphased.

The he was gone, bowing himself out, and she and Trest were alone.

He wouldn't look at her.

She took a step back and folded her arms, one eyebrow arched dryly. "Well. Husband." Her voice had dropped to that purr she'd previously only used around him in very different—much more fun—circumstances. But her eyes were glimmering gold fire. "It seems you and I need to have a little chat, hm?"

visualspice

Trest still couldn't look at her. Even if she were in his field of view-
nothing was there. He stared past her and past the world.
He couldn't believe he choked.

He..
The Hawk.
He had CHOKED.

And terribly so.

A moment later, his mind reeled back in as he sucked in a sharp breath before finally looking at her- his expression near a cringe.

"Yes.. we've got quite a lot of planning to do, Lady Arristaire. Starting off with finding a way to forge your a noblewoman and... well, my wife."

If he laughed, it was dryer than the desert.
By the Gods...

What had he done.

And trying not to miss a beat, he simply walked past her and towards his office- his mind racing a million miles a minute yet he couldn't get it to think.
Maybe once he was in his office he could think more clearly...
And once at his desk, he opened a drawer and fetched out his strongest bottle of drink.

DragonSong

"Oh absolutely fucking not."

Jynx snatched the bottle right out of his hand and stepped back sharply, leveling a withering stare at him. "We are having this conversation now and we are having it sober, Hawk. What the fuck was that?!"

She waved a hand expressively toward the stairs. "I'm your wife?! No one is going to believe this for longer than ten minutes, I'm—fuck's sake, I'm a whore's daughter from Zantaric, Trest! Forge all the paperwork you like, no one is going to believe I'm a proper lady."

She groaned and dragged a hand down her face. "Look, just...why a wife? Lords have mistresses and whatnot all the time, don't they? Hells, some of them even live with the family! Couldn't I be...that?"

She hated even the idea of it, and he had already claimed they were married...but surely they could walk that back somehow, right? And mistress was more believable, wasn't it? Why would anyone pick her to marry into a noble family?

visualspice

Reality sunk in about as sourly as the action of her taking away his drink.
The smile he gave her was positively nasty.

"Now, now, now, it can't be that bad to be married to such a wealthy entrepreneur.." he went on, moving to the other side of the desk where he fetched another bottle...

DragonSong

"GodDAMNIT, Trest!"

She marched forward and attempted to grab the second bottle, seething. "Would you, for two goddamn minutes, just fucking talk to me?! In case you missed it, we're quite literally stuck in this together—whatever this marriage bullshit is and our stupid fucking demon deals!"

Forgetting about the bottle, she grabbed his shoulders, forcing him to still and look at her as she glared up into his face. "I want to help you, you obtuse fucking ass!" she snarled. Words poured out now without her being able to stop them, or think them through. "Stop pushing me away. Stop pretending you don't care about any of this. Stop pretending you're not scared. Stop pretending that a drink is going to make it go away! I can't help you with this if you don't man up and talk to me! I care about you, you jackass, just let me fucking help you!"

She finally stopped, panting and glaring at him. She was trembling, just slightly. Just enough that he'd be able to feel it through her grip on him.