Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

How Much is That Doggie in the Window? [M]

Started by Zero, November 13, 2015, 02:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"Nothing you need worry yourself over, lass." Tobias sighed quietly, but he forced a half-hearted smile for her. After all, it wasn't as if she could simply let him go home. Even if he went back to his quiet little village, it wasn't his home anymore. It hadn't been since the moment he turned into what he was now.

Tessa couldn't do anything about him missing a family he didn't have either.

Perhaps she could have tried to ease his loneliness, but the werewolf didn't want her to. As much as he longed for companionship, he knew it really wasn't right for him to seek it with her.

A slave, property, wasn't your friend. Even if you were nice to it.

If any of the servants would even come near him after today, maybe he could find a hollow solace with one of them. Even a friend that didn't understand you was better than no friend at all. The wolf in him knew what he really needed, but they both knew it wasn't something within their reach.

What Tobias really needed was another wolf.

"Anywhere specific we should be or will we just chat in the dining room after they're done?" He thought it might be best to hold the actual introduction to his wolf out in the garden. There was plenty of room and screams would echo inside the house and hurt his ears. Outside it would be a little better.

DragonSong

Tessa shrugged. "I don't think they'll mind either way. As far as I know Father's just doing bookkeeping today before his meeting with Sir Endarsen, so it's not as though he'll need to rush off to work." She wanted to take a seat but found she had a sudden bolt of nervous energy that kept her on her feet.

There was some tension in the air she couldn't identify, and it put her on edge.

Before she could say anything, Anna suddenly stuck her head into the kitchen, saying, "Della, did you make any extra sausage? Madam and Sir just sat down and you know how he is." She glanced over at Tobias and Tessa, nodding a greeting as Della set about loading a plate for her to take back out to the dining hall.

"Anna, I don't think you've been officially introduced," Tessa said, snapping into the role of hostess. What the hell, she may as well practice now. "This is Tobias. Tobias- Anna, Isaac's older sister." She gestured between the two of them with a smile.

Zero

The mention of Endarsen prompted a reflexive, low growl. Tobias blushed and cleared his throat. This was going to be a long day with his wolf riled up like it was. Especially since the beast's unhappiness with a potential suitor coming to call on Tessa made no sense at all.

The arrival of Anna was a welcome distraction as his mistress introduced them formally. It felt strange to be introduced all formal like she did it.

"Nice to meet you, lass. Meet your brother last night...was...interesting. To say the least." The werewolf blushed again as he thought about his fumbling meeting with the gardener. He still couldn't believe the man had seemed interested in flirting with him.

DragonSong

Anna rolled her eyes. "Yeah, sorry about him. He means well, but he's always been a flirt." Then her smiled turned teasing. "Though I have to say...I see the appeal." She threw him a wink and ducked back out.

Tessa hid her chuckle behind her hand. "Before you get all flustered, she's only teasing you. She's married."

Zero

Tobias immediately flushed scarlet and ducked his head down when Anna implied he might be appealing and winked at him. Being told she was married and only teasing him didn't help at all. The werewolf still felt that familiar panic and helplessness as he buried his face in his hands.

"Please tell me that's the last of it. I don't know how much teasing I can take." The shy wolf mumbled into his hands.

DragonSong

Still chuckling quietly, Tessa managed to say reassuringly, "Mia might be a bit of a pain, but I'll tell her to lay off." Without thinking, she laid her hand on his shoulder and squeezed lightly, as she would have with any other member of the household.

Then she froze, not sure if she'd made the right move. It had been a casual gesture to her, but she'd seen what the slave markets were like- he may not be all that comfortable with physical contact.

Zero

Tobias groaned softly at the mention of Mia. Yeah, he could see the chipper young lass truly tormenting him if she had a mind to. His face heated more and he started slightly when he felt the light squeeze on his shoulder. The touch was gentle and unexpected, not like the light touch to his arm that Della had given a few minutes prior - that he had at least seen coming.

"Thank you." The werewolf said quietly as he lifted his eyes to look up at Tessa gratefully, his blush fading slowly. "Although, I mean, I think Mia's a nice lass, but I didn't think she'd tease or flirt with me like Isaac."

DragonSong

"She probably wouldn't, honestly," Tessa mused, glad she didn't seem to have offended him. "But she'd sure as hell tease you about Isaac."

Della snorted and nodded in affirmation, muttering, "She gets it from her father, I swear."

Tessa laughed and moved toward the door. "Mother and Father are probably just about done," she said, tilting her head at Tobias questioningly. "If you're ready..."

Zero

A soft whine came from Tobias when she said that Mia would probably tease him about Isaac. His own reactions were probably the biggest lure for anyone teasing him. The werewolf knew that he was rather pitiful in his absolute crippling awkwardness, and his blushes would only encourage his teasers, but he truly couldn't help it.

"Yeah, let's get this over with as soon as possible..." Tobias rose from the table and followed Tessa out of the kitchen. Mentally he was steeling himself for having to deal with her parents. Hopefully there wouldn't be too much protesting to his request.

DragonSong

Erik and Nateri did seem to be done eating, or at least finishing. They both looked up when Tessa and Tobias entered, her mother smiling, her father at least giving them a nod.

Well, that was better than yesterday.

She crossed to the main table, smiling in return and giving a shallow curtsy as she murmured, "Good morning, Papa." Her mother caught the childish pet name and quirked an eyebrow. Tessa shrugged. Well, it was worth a shot anyway.

Erik's lips twitched but he didn't quite smile. Instead, he glanced over her shoulder and said evenly, "So I hear there's something you'd like to discuss, young man?"

Zero

Young man.

Tobias squirmed slightly, feeling decidedly uncomfortable under Erik Varrys' gaze. He was not that young, although for a werewolf he probably was considered little more than a child. The werewolf had thought this all out, but now that the moment had come to actually present what he wanted to do he almost clammed up.

"Ah, yes..." Brown-gold eyes looked at Tessa nervously, trying to reassure himself that he was doing the right thing. They all needed to know and see, right? "It's about the wolf. If I'm going to be here, going to be protecting your daughter, I think everyone in the house should know...what I am. I'd appreciate if you could ask everyone to gather in the garden, and I could show you all my other side - so that in case I do need to protect them from an intruder they know the wolf is there to defend them, not hurt them."

By the time he was finished speaking he'd lowered he gaze to the floor, and even his head. Tobias looked nervous and vulnerable.

DragonSong

Tessa blinked. More than surprised, she found she suddenly had a great amount of respect for his courage. From the little they'd talked about what he was, she got the feeling it was not something he was necessarily proud of. She'd assumed he'd want to hide it.

But here he was offering to reveal that secret- not to put himself at ease, but out of respect for the other members of the household. She took a small step closer to him, bumping his shoulder lightly with her own as she might have done with Mia or Isaac, a quiet sign of encouragement.

Erik's eyes widened slightly, but that was the only emotion he showed. He was quiet for several long moments, evidently thinking it over. Then, slowly, he nodded.

"That seems reasonable," he said carefully. "Very well. I encourage an honest discourse among my staff." Then he arched an eyebrow. "Though I hope you realize the repercussions of this will be yours alone to deal with."

No they won't. The thought took Tessa rather by surprise. Though she rather doubted that the staff would suddenly turn on him- sure they may be a little wary, but she had faith most of them would warm back up to him soon enough- a sudden surge of protectiveness hit her. It was a rather silly reflex, seeing as he was not only quite clearly capable of taking care of himself, but the whole reason he'd been brought to the manor was to protect her.

Zero

"I understand, sir, but this needs to be done. They deserve to know what is living in this house with them. I would rather be honest with them from the start, than they find out later and think I was being deceitful by hiding it." Even if it meant they all hated him. Tobias sighed heavily, obviously still very uneasy with the situation, even if he was volunteering it.

"Sir, if they...don't want me here. I understand." After all, if they all got in an uproar over having a wolf in the house his life would be more than merely uncomfortable. The werewolf hadn't wanted to be here to begin with, but now he didn't really want to leave.

Where would he go? Tobias had no home, and the wolf would not go back to a cage. Even if Erik sold him directly into another house, who was to say he wouldn't be treated just as he feared he would? The wolf would go mad if he were forced into submission by a cruel master. That fear crushed him. He didn't want to go mad, he didn't want to become feral again.

"We can do it whenever you're ready. Just let me know. I will need to change alone, and then come out for everyone to see. My, ah, clothes don't change with me." It was a short explanation, but certainly he hoped an sufficient one for why he needed to be alone.

DragonSong

"I see." Erik nodded once, then stood. "Andrew!"

The sharp call startled Tessa enough that she jumped slightly, then moved quickly out of the way as the butler came hurrying to her father's side. "Yes, sir?"

"Would you be so kind as to tell everyone to meet in the garden in ten minutes. Thank you."

Sullen as always, Andrew nodded silently and turned to go, casting a semi-curious, semi-annoyed look at Tobias as he went. "Grouch," Tessa muttered under her breath.

"We should lead by example," Nateri said, rising and taking her husband's arm. As they moved toward the doors she said, "Why don't you come with us, Tessa? Allow him to...prepare."

She flushed slightly, realizing she'd been sticking rather close to the werewolf. "Oh, right." She gave him a quick smile and mouthed, It'll be fine, before walking over to join her parents.

"And Tobias?"

Tessa looked to her father, rather startled that he'd used the man's name; usually he tried to keep people off balance by refusing to refer to them by their given names. "I by no means make guarantees, but I feel it is worth mentioning that my staff come from many different walks of life. They are more open minded than you may think." And with that he and Nateri whisked out of the room.

Tessa followed with one last glance back, offering the brightest smile she could, despite feeling a little thrown for a loop. Had he just tried to be...comforting? That was a little out of character, even in a more usual situation. She put the thought from her mind and made her way out to the garden.

Zero

Well, the lass had warned him that Andrew was a bit of a grump. The werewolf returned the annoyed look the man gave him with one of utter placidity. He didn't care if the man was put out by having to gather everyone up.

It was Tessa that made everything more bearable. The way she smiled at him gave him a temporary boost to his morale. If the little lady of the house was able to embrace him as he was, then surely at least some of the servants could as well. Though her father's little words of reassurance came as quite a surprise. Erik Varrys was the last person he thought would offer any comfort to him, considering everything.

Tobias made no comment, merely watched them leave with lowered eyes.

As soon as they were gone he made his way up to his room. Removing his clothes and folding them neatly on his bed, Tobias shifted into the wolf and began anxiously pacing from one wall to the other. Several minutes lapsed as he gave everyone time to reach the garden, he didn't need anyone seeing him prematurely.

Finally giving a huff when he thought the ten minute mark was approaching, he used a paw to awkwardly open the door. Before long he was padding through the halls quietly, becoming more nervous the closer he came to the door where he'd met Isaac the night before.

Tobias had no idea what the Varrys had told the servants, if they had told them anything at all. Taking a moment to steel his courage, he finally nudged the door open with a paw and stepped out into the gathering with his head held high and looking far more regal and confident than he felt. The wolf was to thank for that. The animal had no reason to feel shame or fear, and it carried the man through the bundle of anxiety that was purely human.

The wolf felt no nervousness, burnished gold eyes gleaming in the light, to him he was nothing short of magnificent. Young, large, healthy, with his brown and grey coat thick and smooth. He was in his prime and knew it.

Inwardly his human self shrank back and away, still fearful of how everyone would react as the wolf stared at them levelly.

DragonSong

Tessa wasn't sure what she'd been expecting exactly, but the sheer size of him caught her off guard. Her voice joined the collective gasp that ran through the gathering of people in the garden as the wolf entered, though she stifled the noise quickly. Gods above...

Erik had said little to his staff to prepare them, only that Tessa's new guard had something he wanted them to know about him. So it wasn't entirely surprising that most of them took a step back or simply stood frozen, eyes wide with shock.

Isaac swore softly under his breath, though his tone was more of amazement than fear (though there was some of that too). Della just stared, wide-eyed, a hand on each of the twins' shoulders. The others clustered together, looking back and forth between the massive wolf and their employer.

Someone needed to make a move. Say something, say anything. Hesitantly, Tessa took a step toward him. Part of her was afraid, she had to admit it; a very primal part that saw a predator and wanted to run. Another part saw Tobias, simply trying to be honest with people he knew he'd have to live with.

And...well, he was rather beautiful. Awe-inspiring, slightly terrifying, yes. But the wolf was a beautiful creature.

She took another step forward, smiling softly. "Hello, Tobias."

From behind her, she heard Jenny's childish voice ring out clearly: "Big doggie!"

She laughed.

Zero

The gasps were better than screams, even as the air was filled with the acidic scent of fear. It bothered his nose, but the smell of fear wasn't as strong as he was expecting. Golden eyes moved over each person gathered, before moving to Tessa as she stepped forward and lingering on the young woman that had brought him into this home despite knowing what he was.

He could sense and smell Tessa's fear. The werewolf wanted so badly for her not to be afraid of him at all. Everyone was always afraid of him. Knowing she felt afraid of him stung, but her fear was less than anyone else.

Except maybe Jenny, who childishly called him a "big doggie". The wolf let out a low whine, his tail wagging a few times.

When his mistress took another step forward, Tobias took a step towards her, then lowered his head, inviting her to reach out and touch him. Maybe if the others saw her fingers in his fur the others would feel less afraid of him.

DragonSong

Tessa reached out automatically, the way she would have with any dog who approached her in such a way. Then she hesitated, not wanting to offend him. But...his fur looked invitingly soft, and she had a strong urge to bury her fingers in it and see if it was a smooth as it looked.

She couldn't help herself. Taking a determined step forward she reached out and carefully stroked his head, saying quietly, "This is...really ok?" Despite his size, he was seeming more and more like...well, like a wolf. His fur had a smooth undercoat she was dying to dig her fingers into, but she resisted the impulse. She couldn't quite stop herself from scratching at his ears however, a smile spreading slowly across her face.

"Doggie?" Jenny has crept closer when she wasn't paying attention, and now she tugged on Tessa's skirt, looking up at her. "Tobias is the doggie?"

"That's right sweetheart." Tessa bent down and, grinning, scooped Jenny up so she was closer to his head and could reach out to touch him. She heard Della suck in a sharp breath, but no one protested. The little girl reached out to pat the wolf's nose, giggling happily.

Tessa chuckled too, gently stroking his head again. "Well, if you had any chance of losing the twins before, it's certainly gone now."

Zero

Was it okay?

The wolf didn't wag his tail usually, associating the gesture more with a dog, but as his head was lightly stroked and his ears were scratched he let it swish happily. Positive attention was rarely given to the wolf, and he rather relished Tessa's gentle hand moving over his fur.

His tail began moving faster as Jenny approached him, and he gave a soft whine as the child was picked up. Tobias nuzzled his nose into the child's hand, loving the sound of her giggles. The wolf couldn't resist snaking his tongue out and licking her fingers once much like a friendly dog might have.

Well, if nothing else, Tessa and Jenny were not put off by his animal half. That was something. He'd worried that once Erik saw him in this form he might change his mind again about letting him remain in the house. After all, it was one thing to know he was a werewolf and quite another to actually see him as a wolf. So far both Erik and Nateri had remained relatively silent on the matter and golden eyes moved over to them nervously even as he tilted his head into Tessa's hand, silently asking for more petting.

Once he was back in his human form he was probably going to be a little embarrassed about his canine behavior. After all, he protested frequently that he was not an animal.

DragonSong

The petting was becoming almost habitual, a steady rhythm she fell into easily. She let Jenny wriggle to the ground and run to her brothers, tugging on their hands to pull them closer to the wolf. Seth came easily enough, and after a moment of hesitation Michael followed, a bit more sedately.

The others seeemed to be getting over their initial shock and fear, coming warily closer. No one but the children was quite willing to try petting him, though she thought that was probably because they couldn't quite forget that the wolf was actually the young man they'd met before.

She didn't forget it either, but she couldn't seem to help the impulse to continue petting him, twisting slightly to face her parents and see their reactions.

Her mother was simply watching, not coming closer but not backing away either. But it was her father she was worried about. She met his gaze evenly, silently challenging. See? He's not dangerous. He's not what you thought.

Very, very slowly, Erik Varrys nodded.

Tessa beamed, inordinately pleased. Without thinking she wrapped her arms around the wolf's neck, saying quietly, "Told you it'd be fine."