Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

How Much is That Doggie in the Window? [M]

Started by Zero, November 13, 2015, 02:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

There was bread and dried meat in the pack, just something simple and edible enough to get them through a couple days of travel. Once they got to their new home Tobias would be able to hunt and cook fresh meat for them to use for supper, and he could trade extra meat for vegetables until they could work up a small productive garden.

"Well just keep in mind the old house is going to need some work. Nobody moved in after that night. I think there's a few abandoned homesteads. Or there were the last time I went through. Those things hit the village hard." Those things that he was one of now.

DragonSong

Tessa nodding along as he spoke, but something in his vice caught at her attention when he mentioned the attack on his village.

"Toby." She reached out to touch his arm, looking up into his face. "Are...you alright?"

Zero

Tobias looked down at his beautiful mate as he felt her hand on his arm. He didn't deserve her, but he wanted Tessa anyway. The werewolf forced himself to smile as he tried to chase the old memories away and focus on the present. It didn't matter what he had done in the past. She didn't blame him for the things he did when out of his mind.

"I'm fine. Let's just eat so we can get going. I can't wait to give you a proper home." Not that anything he could provide would be as grand as she was used to, but Tobias could give her something cozy and most importantly theirs.

DragonSong

"Mhm."Tessa smiled at him. She still worried-- she supposed she would always worry about him-- but he seemed content enough to move on with the conversation.

And the day itself, as he so aptly pointed out. She finished her piece of bread and took a quick sip from their water canteen. "I'm so excited, Toby," she murmured as she handed him the water. Her smile softened, a little bit of worry entering her eyes again, and she reached up to touch his face. "I love how much you want to take care of me," she murmured, leaning in to rest her brow against his. "I just hope you know how much I want to do that too. I want to give you...everything I can."

She simply leaned against him for a moment, meeting his eyes. Then her cheeks colored and she leaned away, clearing her throat. "Ahem. We, ah, we should get moving, yes?"

Zero

"I'm excited too." Their foreheads rested together and he looked down at her in complete adoration. It was a stark change in demeanor from when she had first brought him home. Tobias felt lighter and happier than he had in a long time. Yes, there were troubled and dark thoughts lurking at the corners of his mind, but the werewolf held a much more positive outlook on his life than he had in many years.

For the first time since that horrible night, he had hope that his life could still have all those things he had wanted before he had become a wolf.

"Tessa, you already give me plenty. Trust me." He chuckled as she pulled away blushing. "Yes, we should go."

Tobias gave her back the water skin and stood up, stretching for a moment before dropping back onto all fours, shaking out his thick coat as the wolf took over again.

DragonSong

Tessa giggled and stood back as he shook his fur out, then quickly darted in to wrap her arms around his neck and kiss his nose before she hiked her skirts up so she could climb up onto his back, their packs slung over her shoulders.

"Alright." She huffed out a breath. "Let's go home."

Zero

The wolf let out a happy huff of agreement as Tessa climbed up on his back. He couldn't wait to get them home. They would have to work hard, but he was going to have the life and family he had always wanted, and the beautiful woman on his back was the whole reason it was possible.

Once his passenger was secure Tobias started off the same way he had before, starting slow and working his way up to a steady gallop.

Things were peaceful, for a time, much like the day before. It couldn't have lasted an hour. Tobias skidded to a stop suddenly, hackles raised and a deep warning growl rumbling through him as his ears folded back and his eyes darted around. At first there didn't seem to be anything out there, but figures flitted through the trees ahead of them. The wolf took a couple steps back before whirling around and letting out a vicious snarl as something came at them from behind.

A silver netting flew out from the trees and wrapped around his muzzle. He shook his head furiously and frantically tried to claw it off with one paw as figures of men came out of the trees armed with weapons designed for hunting and capturing werewolves.

DragonSong

Tessa was almost lulled back into that trance-like peace for the first portion of the ride, the rhythm of Toby's gait beneath her a steady beat that pulsed through her whole body.

Then he stopped and she was jerked harshly back into reality. The first few shadows in the trees drew her attention, her shoulders tensing as her mind raced, trying to come up with-- with an idea. With something.

Then came the net, and the shadows solidified into solid, real threats and she scrambled down from the werewolf's back with a gasp, darting forward to try to pull the net from his muzzle. "No no no no no..." She didn't even realize she was speaking, looking around frantically as she tried to free Toby from the net.

"Stop! Just stay back!" Desperate, she twisted in a futile attempt to block the massive wolf with her body, eyes wide as she pressed back against him.

Zero

Tobias growled hellishly despite the muzzle, and when Tessa tried to shield him from those that were approaching he tried to put himself between her and them. It was an impossible task, as they were surrounded. The silver netting had muzzled him, which put him even more on edge. He could not bite to defend himself - or her.

"You will want to step away and come quietly, Miss Varrys. You are going back to your father, as promised, even if we have to hog-tie and carry you back. That thing," the man that came forward gestured to Tobias with a sneer, "is now the property of Lord Henry Striker and we have come to reclaim our Lord's property."

No werewolf would stand for that, especially not Tobias who had been forced into being someone else's property far more then he could tolerate. He lunged around Tessa at the man, still in possession of his claws. The wolf never reached him, silver-laced ropes lassoed around his neck from multiple directions, holding him in place as he struggled frantically. He actually felt fear and panic. No matter how strong a creature like him might be, he would be weakened by silver and possibly even killed - but he knew Striker wanted him alive.

"Don't get in our way, girl."

DragonSong

Striker?

No. No that couldn't be true. No matter how angry Erik was he wouldn't...he couldn't...

But he had.

"No!" Tessa ran forward, reaching for the lassos that held Toby in place, but before she could take more than a few steps strong arms came around her, rooting her in place. "No! What are you-- take your hands off me, you brute!"

She struggled, but the hunter was too strong for her, dragging her back even as she fought tooth and nail to free herself. She'd never felt so useless in her life, tears of fear and anger blurring her vision as she reached for her husband, her mate.

"Let him go, let him go! I-I'll go back you with, I won't fight, please just don't hurt him!"

Zero

When one of the men grabbed Tessa the sound that came from the werewolf was something unholy as he went wild, straining and pulling against the silver ropes tightening around his neck.

"Sorry girl, but the beastie doesn't get the option to come quietly. And I really don't care if you do either. I have no qualms turning you over bound and gagged." The apparent man in charge smirked at Tessa, eyeing her up and down. A thunderous growl dragged his eyes back to the thrashing wolf that was fighting capture. He gave an irritated sigh, as if this was more annoyance than challenge.

"Somebody shut that stupid mutt up. Lord Striker just said alive. Condition upon delivery is otherwise negotiable." He waved a hand and the man holding Tessa lifted her up and began carrying her back towards the road.

She would not witness what happened next, but the inhuman screaming was sure to be more than enough. There were waiting horses, and a large wagon that was basically a cage on wheels. Things went quiet after less than a minute as those sounds of anguish and pain were cut off suddenly. A few minutes later the men stalked out of the trees. Tobias was bound and being dragged by several men. The wolf limp and clearly unconscious, a trail of blood being left in his wake.

DragonSong

"No! Let go of me, let go-- Toby! Toby!"

Tessa was sobbing, twisting and writhing in her captor's grip as she was dragged away. Then came the screaming, and she felt her breath leave her body, her chest going tight.

No...Nononono!

"Stop! Stop it please, don't hurt him, don't hurt him, LET HIM GO!" Her voice rose to a keening shriek as she twisted and raked her nails down the man's face, openly weeping as she struggled. A brief moment of surprise won her the barest chance of escape, and she jerked away from his arms, turning to run back into the trees--

And froze. Her eyes lit on the unconscious wolf and she felt her vision pinpoint to him, and only him. Her knees shook, threatening to buckle as she swayed on her feet. "Toby..."

She stumbled forward, reaching through him, barely able to see through the fresh wave of tears. "Toby, Toby, Toby!"

Before she could take more than a few steps the leader of the hunters had his arms around her again, dragging her back, shoving a gag into her mouth to stifle her screams.

Zero

Tessa was gagged and a shackle was attached to one wrist, the other end fastening around a bar of the cage wagon that they loaded the massive limp wolf into with no small amount of effort. Not in the gentlest manner, either. Blood smeared and matted the brown-grey fur in places, with open gashes still oozing crimson slowly.

The silver netting was replaced with a proper muzzle before the cage was cleared of everyone else and locked. A whole tiny caravan was there on the road. Another wagon was being loaded with men and equipment.

"Listen up, girl. I am not a patient man, and if you cause me trouble on this trip the dog will pay for it, you get me? Annoy me and I'll take it out of his hide. As long as he's alive his condition really doesn't matter to Lord Striker, but your father wants you back in one piece and that was what was promised. Now if you cause me too much trouble...well these beasts are volatile. Say we go back to your father with a story about how we were too late, eh? Not like they would find the body." The leader gave Tessa another wicked smirk before moving off to bark orders at the others.

DragonSong

She struggled instinctively at first, jerking against the shackle on her wrist and screaming into the gag, screaming her husband's name, begging him to just wake up, to be okay, please, please...

But she wasn't stupid. She knew these men could-- and would-- make good on their threats. She quieted at the leader's order, though every fiber of her being urged her to fight back. But there was nothing she could do. Without Tobias, she was useless.

Her eyes were fixed on the wolf as the caravan started moving, her steps lurching and stilted. She still wept, wrapping the fingers of her shackled hand around a bar of the cage. I'm sorry, my love. She closed her eyes, head bowed. I'm sorry. This is all my fault. If it hadn't been me-- if we'd never met...I'm so sorry, Toby...

Zero

Toby didn't stir once, and they never stopped. When Tessa couldn't walk any longer they put her on a horse, but there was no camping that night or even the night after. Occasionally one of the men would wordlessly shove a bit of bread and a water skin at her. The wolf didn't wake and did not receive either food or water. It was a much slower trip this way than their swift jaunt on wolf feet. They kept pressing forward until they got to the gates of Ketra. Only then did the procession come to a rumbling halt.

The leader rode to Tessa and unshackled her, pulling her into his own saddle in front of him. "This is your stop, girl. Say good bye to the dog, because you won't be seeing it again. Lord Striker has great plans for this one."

DragonSong

Tessa struggled, just for a moment, before the earlier threats of the hunters echoed in her ears and she went very still. She was exhausted from the days of travel, of stumbling along behind the cage and begging silent for Tobias to wake up, to just be okay-- even if she had been able to fight back, she doubted it would have made much difference.

Say goodbye to the dog. Gag still shoved between her teeth, she glared at her captor and didn't move a muscle. This was not goodbye. She wouldn't let it be.

Her eyes flickered to her mate, her heart breaking for the thousandth time in the last two days. I'm going to fix this, Toby. I will. I promise.

Zero

The man just laughed, and not at all in a pleasant way. He took Tessa with him through the gates while the others started moving again, heading for their final destination. They rode through the city and stopped in front of the Varrys household. Tessa was pulled unceremoniously from the saddle and the gag was pulled from her mouth and dropped on the ground.

"Home sweet home, girl. You're very lucky, you know." He leered at her for a moment before pulling her to the door by her upper arm and knocking and calling loudly. "I got a wayward daughter to return here and I'm a busy man, move it."

DragonSong

"Oh my gods!"

Della was the first to run from the house, followed quickly-- but more sedately-- by the lady of the house. Nateri halted at the base of the steps, one hand going to cover her mouth as she took in the sight of her daughter, bound and battered and defiant.

"Oh, Miss..." The cook reached out as Tessa was shoved forward, the shackle dropped from her wrist unceremoniously. But Celestia Rose Varrys just walked passed her, head high and shoulders stiff.

She stood in front of her mother, glanced over her shoulder to the door, where her father was waiting with his arms crossed over his chest. "I hope it was worth it," she told them quietly. "Whatever Striker paid you-- I hope it was worth your daughter."

She turned and made for the servants' entrance, not caring to listen as her father thanked the men for bringing her back safely.

Della chased after her, asking what had happened, telling her that they had tried to talk her father down but that he just wouldn't see sense, did she know where Tobias was being taken, what was she going to do?

Tessa didn't say a word.

Zero

Pain, unlike anything he had known, and then absolute darkness.

The cries of his mate calling for him couldn't even penetrate the haze that settled over Tobias as an insidious poison worked its way through his system, slow and torturous. Being moved and jostled into and out of the cage couldn't rouse him.

Nothing could.

At least not until he felt another stabbing pain of what felt like pure fire. The werewolf howled in pain as he jerked shakily to his feet. Standing was difficult; his whole body trembled with the effort. He had never felt so weak and drained in his life. Where was he? Nothing was in focus, but blinking helped clear enough to notice that he was surrounded by silver bars – another cage.

Memory came to him with a sobering jolt. Where was Tessa? He whined and frantically began pacing in his cage, eyes darting around him. Where was she?

Where was she?

"She's not here. You'll never see her again. For the best, really, did you think a beast, a slave, like you could really be with a woman like her? Not even speaking of her mental stability. I mean, the girl is willing to sleep with an animal...well no matter now. You're in better hands. I mean to see you put to proper use." It was Striker.

Tobias pulled his lips back in a snarl, hackles raised as he growled. He was so thirsty and hungry, but all he cared about was getting back to his mate. She needed him to protect her. There were other people there, evil men; he could smell the stench of their wickedness as they laughed at him.

"You are going to learn to obey me, wolf. I am your master and you will do what I want." Striker seemed so confident, his arrogance was infuriating. It made Tobias growl louder. He would never obey this man. They were all wrong. He was not an animal. A werewolf, yes, but not some mindless beast and definitely no one's slave – he didn't care what they said.

As days turned into weeks and weeks into months, well Tobias came to realize that those were very boldly thought words. He learned quite a lot more about werewolf healing thresholds than he ever wanted to know. Who would have thought it was possible to have pieces of your back flayed and actually live to tell the tale? He couldn't see what it looked like once it healed, but at least that had been done with a steel blade, he thought it wouldn't scar.

Where silver had pierced him was another matter. There was puckered scar tissue in two places on his side where they had stabbed him with silver-tipped spears that day in the forest. That seemed a lifetime ago now. His back had been shredded with barbed silver whips – again and again. He had been denied food and water until he thought he would waste away to nothing, had bled until he thought he must surely be drained, and every single time, just as Tobias thought maybe he would fade into darkness and peace at last, they would nurse him back to be just healed and strong enough to be able to endure even more.

When he even thought about giving up, considered the idea to stop resisting, all he had to do was think of Tessa and he would harden his resolve. They couldn't keep him away from her forever. That didn't keep him from being too exhausted and pained to make a show of defiance.

They had moved him again. This time he was in his human form, naked and exposed in some secluded place. Honestly he could barely feel rain or wind as it battered him this time. Silver stakes had been driven through his wrists; heavy silver chains secured those to a steel slab. It was almost funny how much they restrained him. The werewolf was too weak to put up much of a physical fight. He just stayed on his knees were they put him, head hanging and conserving as much energy as he could between being 'disciplined' for his refusal to acknowledge his master.

Tobias knew that one was there before he spoke. The man's name was Arapahos, and he had been there, in the forest that day. He was the worst of them; a man that enjoyed hurting others far too much. If he was there that meant he was about to feel pain again.

Tobias had no idea.

"Well, well, well...looking so down, doggie? You've been a pain in the ass, you know that? It's why I like you so much. The fun never ends! I get to do it again and again and again...but not today, Striker says. Instead I only get to deliver a message. Boo, that's not fun at all. Ah, well I do what I am told, which is why I get to have so much fun. I get the pleasure of informing you that bitch of yours, and the whelp inside her, got themselves wacked. Isn't that crazy?" Arapahos cackled like a madman.

It really took several moments for the words to really sink in. That...bitch? Tobias's eyes widened as he realized the man meant Tessa. That...no. That wasn't possible. Not his Tessa. She couldn't be dead. Wait, whelp? Did he mean...

Tobias didn't even realize when he began to scream. The sound was horrific, and even Arapahos took several steps back as he watched the werewolf begin to claw frantically at his own face, as if trying to rip those words, those thoughts, that knowledge right back out of his head.  The sounds morphed, at first the agonized cries of a man, but they became more animal than man as his body started cracking. It was blinding pain as his bones broke and rearranged themselves. This was not the smooth transformation into the wolf, this was something else.

Something dangerous.

The beast roared and strained against the stakes and chains, blood dripped from the aggravated wounds but it was mindless. It wanted different blood as it attempted to reach the man standing just out of his reached.

Blood. Meat. Flesh. Rip. Maim. Kill.

Tobias had no idea, no control. He didn't know what he was doing. There was no consciousness, no humanity in those blood red eyes. He couldn't know that this had been a trap. There was no way he could know that Tessa was alive and well and on her way to get him.

Striker had decided that if he couldn't have the wolf. No one could.

DragonSong

Three and a half months.

Three and a half months since she had been dragged back to what was once her home, since she had packed what few things she needed and walked back out the front door, since Della had chased after her with soft words and offered salvation, since she had come to live with the cook who had helped raise her and her family, since she had begun what had started to feel like a never-ending quest to return her husband to where he belonged.

Three and a half months. She had changed, she knew she had. She was thinner in some places and thicker in others. She no longer wore the fine dresses and silken shoes of her girlhood but rather simply hand-me-downs she had helped Della or Mia tailor to fit her changing body. She was paler too, from overwork and frequent time indoors, but she hardly seemed to notice-- and a new scar peeked just above the neckline of her woolen dress, over her left collar, over her heart, though mostly it was hidden from view.

Tessa didn't seem to care as she marched down the street, men and women in armor to either side of her. She had the law on her side now, she knew, but if it came down to it she was more than ready for war.

--------

From the day she'd stepped foot back in Ketra she hadn't stopped working, racing from one end of the city to the other, often with Mia in tow, to visit one magistrate or another and plead her case.

Tobias was not a slave, there was no legal right for him to be sold as property. Yes, we were married-- that is the basis of my case. Slaves do not have marriage rights, and because I was the one who completed the transaction, but marrying him I tacitly made him a free man in the eyes of the law. Yes, I bought him.

A bad taste in her mouth.

My case has precedent, as you can see in the similar cases I have highlighted in these documents. No, I am not a lawyer, but I have spent a great deal of time dealing with legal matters in Erik Varrys's estate, training under the merchant class. I understand the case is unusual... Even if you do not accept my first premise, then simply by the fact that I was the one who purchased Tobias Slate's labor means that Erik Varrys had no right to enter a new transaction...

He's my husband. He's not a slave. He's not a monster-- yes, he is a werewolf-- no, he is not dangerous-- please, just listen!

The door would close behind her, the magistrate's words echoing in her head as he or she told her someone else she could visit, someone who might be more willing to take her case, or more familiar with that aspect of Adelan law. And she would go where they sent her, and it all would begin again.

Throughout the day she would receive calling cards, some from business associates of her father whom she had reached out to for legal advice, but most from the socialites of Ketra who had heard about her "family misfortune". She ignored them all, sympathizers and attackers alike.

Poor thing.

Such a shame.

Painted little whore.

Her poor parents.

The dog's bitch.

No time for that, no room in her mind to think on it. None of it mattered, all that mattered was getting Toby back. 

There were nearly two months of this before Della sat her down and told her she had some suspicions. Tessa hadn't been eating or sleeping well, she was starting to get ill so frequently, but it was more than that.

A mother four times over, the older woman took Tessa's hands in hers and looked into her eyes when she asked how long it had been since she'd bled. When it took a few moments for Tessa to think about it, trying to calculate past all the legal jargon and cases of precedent that seemed to have taken up all the space in her mind-- if she only thought about that she couldn't think about how much she missed him, how she worried, what they might be doing to him...-- Della sighed and took her to a local healer, who confirmed the cooks' worries.

Tessa was pregnant.

"Doesn't matter," the young woman said as she left the healer's house on Della's arm. "I mean-- it does, of course it does, but this just means I have to work faster. I can't let this...I can't let the baby get here without Toby. I can't. I won't."

Nothing Della told her about how she needed rest would sway her. She threw herself back into her work with renewed vehemence. Almost every day she visited a new magistrate, sometimes going back three or fours times to one who seemed even remotely sympathetic.

Slowly, her belly began to fill out, just a bit, just the tiniest bump that pressed against her bodice. But the skin around her ribs and collar bones grew thinner, drained of color, deep, dark circles now permanently etched beneath her eyes. She suffered fainting spells throughout the day, but did her best to keep them hidden from Della and her family.

------

But it was worth it. It was all worth it, because she was being escorted to Striker's estate just outside the city proper by a squadron of city guards, official orders for the release of one Tobias Slate, notarized and signed by no less than six different Ketra magistrates clutched in her hands.

Tessa's breath caught as she was escorted up to the door, feeling a little wobbly on her feet. But hope and righteous rage buoyed her up, gave her strength as one of the guards wrapped soundly on Striker's door and demanded, "Open in the name of the law!"

In the name of the law. Every legal twist and loophole she'd managed to tug or exploit come to call. Her hands tightened on the orders of release, eyes glinting silver, cold as ice and sharp as steel.