Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

How Much is That Doggie in the Window? [M]

Started by Zero, November 13, 2015, 02:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Things would get better soon. That was a very hopeful thought to cling to, but things were already so much better. The moment Tessa's voice had pierced the darkness things had become so much brighter and clearer.

Still, things were just going to keep looking up and up. It had been far too long since he had been cleaned properly. The water became murky almost immediately as the blood mingled with the water.

Tobias leaned into Tessa's touch. He didn't care when the cloth passed over a sore or tender spot, he just wanted the contact. The idea of having someone else helping bathe him would have been embarrassing before, and maybe it made the idea of being helpless cross his mind, but he decided he didn't really care. It felt nice.

"Tessa..." He sighed softly and reached for her hand, pulling it close so he could press his lips to the pulse at her wrist. Like he had the first time he'd kissed her. "I love you."

DragonSong

His wife smiled, tears filling her eyes once again, though this time they were from a powerful mix of joy and relief, rather than rage and sorrow. "I love you, too."

Carefully, oh so carefully, she lifted one newly re-bandaged wrist to her lips and kissed his pulse in turn, a feather-light touch that barely brushed the linen wrappings. "I love you so much," she whispered, closing her eyes as the tears spilled down her cheeks.

Her fingers laced with his, she finished bathing him as gently as she could. Then she had to help him up, helping him wrap a towel around himself and offering support for him to stand as she called for Della and Jon again.

The cook and her husband came quickly enough, and once satisfied that Tobias seemed properly cleaned and ready to rest, guided the two into the single spare room in the house, where Tessa had been staying the bast few months.

"I'm just finishing up with a nice, easy stew," Della told them as she helped Tessa move Toby to the bed. "I'll bring it in once it's done. Try not to fall asleep before then, alright? You look like you've not had a proper meal in months, lad, and I know for a fact Little Terror hasn't eaten since this morning."

Tessa shot her a quick glare. The last thing she needed was for Tobias to worry over her more, not when he needed to focus on rest and healing.

Zero

More words really weren't necessary as she held his hand and quietly finished bathing him as best as could be managed. Tobias found himself subconsciously leaning towards her the whole time; every fiber of his being just wanted to be as near to her as he could. She was his mate, his wife, his heart and reason to keep living during those months of pain and terror.

Getting out of the tub was an ordeal that produced more than one groan and a few whimpers as well, but it couldn't be helped. It was a relief when Della and Jon appeared to help him get all the way to the bedroom. As close as Tobias wanted to be to Tessa, he was reluctant to lean his weight on her; she was pregnant and should not be straining herself so much. He wished that she was in better condition, but he did not fault Della or her family for it. The wolf knew his mate was very stubborn and that the motherly Della had certainly done her best.

"I haven't had a proper meal in months, stew sounds wonderful." Tobias was practically drooling already as he settled into the bed, on his side because lying on his back would cause too much pressure on his marred flesh. "I make no promises about not passing out, though. I haven't slept properly since I was taken."

His face dipped into a faint scowl at the mention that Tessa had not eaten since breakfast. It wasn't a surprise, just displeasing. "Is that so? Don't you worry about that, Della. I'll make sure she starts eating properly for two."

DragonSong

The cook snorted and gave him a fond, gentle pat on the cheek. "More luck to you, I've certainly had none with her," she muttered as she bustled off.

Tessa scowled after her and shook her head, but she couldn't really be angry, not with everything Della had done for her. Once Jonathan saw that Tobias was properly settled he nodded to them both and slipped out.

A soft sigh and Tess settled herself carefully on the edge of the bed, reaching up to stroke her husband's cheek lightly. "I know it's hard, but try to stay awake?" she asked quietly. "You really should eat something..." She should too, she knew that, but it had been so hard to prioritize it in the last few weeks.

Another sigh. She let herself lay back on the bed, turned on her side so she could face Toby. She let her palms rest gently against his chest, head tilted forward until her brow touched his. "I missed you," she breathed, the words barely even a whisper. "I missed you so much, Toby. I'm so sorry."

Zero

Tobias snorted at the soft pat on the cheek, eyes sparkling at Della slyly as he responded to her wishes for luck. "I plan to cheat."

Tessa would eat; he would make sure of it. Getting her to do so wouldn't be all that hard. At least not for him, not when he had plenty of leverage to motivate her. If she protested he already knew how he would respond.

Of course, that was if he was still conscious. Now that he was settled as comfortably as possible into bed and all but Tessa had gone he found it hard to keep his eyes open. He was so tired, but his mate was right as she gently touched his cheek again he forced his eyes back open. "I am ravenous, but you need to eat too. You've grown skinny and your eyes are weary, Tessa. It worries and pains me to see you like this."

Warmth swelled in his chest as she laid down facing him, the touch of her hands against his chest causing his heart to thrum wildly. He closed his eyes as their foreheads touched and her voice washed over him. How he'd yearned for this.

"Wanting to get back to you was the only thing that kept me alive. I would have given up; there were times I wanted to give up to make the pain stop." It was hard to admit that, and he hated to possibly worry her more, but his mate deserved honesty, and to know how much she was loved. He ignored any of his body's protests as he moved an arm around his wife and pulled her close to his chest, tucking her head under his chin. "None of this was your fault, Tessa. Striker did this."

And Erik Varrys, but Tobias didn't have the strength to malign his mate's father just then.

DragonSong

Her eyes burned with another fresh wave of tears and she nuzzled her face into the hollow of his throat, peppering light kisses across his skin. "I'm so sorry, my love," she repeated, forcing the threat of sobs back. Enough crying. Not now. She had him back, that was all that mattered. "It took me too long-- but I am so, so thankful you held on as long as you did. I..." She took a shaky breath. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

A moment of silence, then her lips curved in the barest echo of a smile and she tilted her head back to meet his eyes, carefully moving his hand down over her waist to press against the tiny swell of her belly. "What we'd do without you."

She kissed him again, softly. "You're going to be a father, Toby," she whispered, a soft shiver running through her as she'd said the words. Not exactly the circumstances she could have hoped for, and of course he already knew; but somehow there was still a little thrill to say it out loud, to tell him.

Her lashes fluttered, a yawn overtaking her as her body threatened unconsciousness. It had been a long day, of course, but she hadn't realized just how tired she was. Maybe Della would just leave the stew and they could eat when they woke up...

Zero

His arms tightened around her. Tobias didn't care if his wrists hurt, or if his arms felt weak so he couldn't squash her against him as thoroughly as he wanted. It hurt to hear how close to breaking down again his mate was. All he wanted was to comfort her and chase all the tears away.

Tessa was the one who ended up comforting him. A smile pulled at his lips as she guided his hand to rest against the small swell of her stomach. It was much too early to feel movement, but still he knew that his baby, their baby, was growing inside his mate, just beneath his hand. Tobias hadn't known a greater happiness in his life. This was everything he had ever wanted.

Sure, he didn't want any of the torture or being away from Tessa, but none of that mattered – he had his family that he had always desperately wanted but hadn't though he could have. Tears slid out of his closed eyes, tears of happiness.

"It makes me ridiculously happy to hear you say that." Of course he already knew, but to hear her say it meant more to him than anything. "But don't worry, my love, I will never leave you again."

Was she falling asleep? As much as Tobias wanted to nod off himself, he knew that Tessa needed to eat; she had two mouths to feed and had been neglecting herself. He could wait for his next meal, but she couldn't. It was unacceptable to him. His hand moved to gently run his fingers through her hair, he loved the feeling, and he pressed a loving kiss to her brow. "Wake up, Tessa. No sleeping until you've gotten a full tummy."

DragonSong

With a tired groan she crinkled her nose and shook her head, turning her face into the pillow. "I've already got a full tummy," she complained, a wry joke.

But she knew he was right. She huffed and sat up slightly, covering another yawn with her hand. "You too." She frowned and poked his nose gently, though the touch quickly turned into a soft stroke over his cheek. "You must be starving."

"And those are the magic words." Della appeared in the doorway carrying two gently steaming bowls. She smiled at the couple in bed and crossed to hand the bowls over to Tessa and Tobias, helping the werewolf sit up slightly when she did. "You two eat up now, and then straight to bed for you. You've got healing to do--" she pointed a finger at Tobias-- "and you've got the little one to think of." A finger at Tessa.

Sighing, the younger woman agreed tiredly, "Fine, fine," as she accepted her food, blowing on it before raising the spoon to her mouth. It was simple enough, not too heavy, and the warmth of it spread right through her body to the very tips of her fingers and toes. She closed her eyes and sighed quietly, feeling her shoulders relax; she hadn't even realized she was tense.

"I'll leave you two be. Just bring the bowls out to the kitchen when you wake up, Miss Tess," Della murmured.

"I will," Tessa assured with a smile. Arching one eyebrow, she added, "Really, Della, stop with the miss. I'm not a Varrys anymore, remember?"

Zero

Tobias managed the faintest of chuckles at the remark about already having a full tummy, and a little spike of pride rose in his chest at being the one that had filled her belly. His baby, he had made that with her, and it kind of felt like magic. It was the best feeling, enough to dull the pain for now.

"Famished," the wolf agreed even as Della appeared with the steaming bowls. That set his mouth to watering again. It smelled delicious. He almost teasingly asked Della where the rest of the pot was, but settled for sitting up with some help and taking the bowl gratefully. When was the last real meal he'd had? Nothing so good and homemade as...the last of Della's cooking. He smiled weakly when they were scolded about eating and then going straight to bed. Tobias didn't need to be told twice. "Yes ma'am!"

It didn't matter how starved the wolf was, his golden gaze fixated on his mate stubbornly and watched to make sure she started eating. Once Tessa had taken a bite, and didn't seem intent on disobeying the order to eat, Tobias let himself eat too. He didn't even bother with the spoon; he just raised the bowl to his lips and started sipping the broth, making a sound of pleasure.

The stew was delicious, but he had expected it would be.

What he really wanted was a small mountain of raw meat, but nobody wanted to watch him scarf that down, and where would they even get it? This type of food would do for now and when he was strong enough he could hunt and bring home meat for all of them. Everyone else would want it cooked, but that was fine too.

He caught the women's conversation and managed to stop slurping stew long enough to butt in, "Definitely not a Varrys, Tessa Slate sounds much better anyway, don't you think?"

DragonSong

Tessa positively beamed at him, reaching up to brush her fingers through his still slightly damp hair. Della watched them with a small smile of her own.

"I suppose it does," she allowed with a little chuckle. "I'll just leave you two to your meal. Mis-- Tessa, don't forget about those herbal supplements from the healer."

"I won't."

"I mean it, Celestia." Della narrowed her eyes at her. "That's for you and the baby. Need to keep your strength up."

Tessa rolled her eyes, but she was smiling, happy and warm for the first time in months. "I know, Della, I remember. Thank you."

"Alright then." The cook nodded and turned to leave. "Jon and I are just down the hall if you need any--"

A sharp knock at the door cut her off. Tessa was on her feet in an instant, her bowl put to the side as Della tensed and looked to the front door. "Who on earth is that at this hour?" the older woman muttered with a frown.

Tessa's teeth were bared, eyes narrowed with distrust. "If Striker sent men after us I swear I'll--"

"You'll do nothing," Della cut her off firmly. "Sit here, I'll go see what it is. Stay with Toby."

Zero

Tobias leaned into Tessa's hand, humming happily at the feel of her fingers in his hair. He had missed it so much. There was so much he had missed very dearly about being with his mate. The way she made his heart beat faster every time she smiled, her fingers sliding through his hair, her lovely scent, the feel and taste of her lips against his...

"I'll make sure she takes them, Della. Thanks again for everything." It didn't matter how tired his voice was, there was clearly notes of happiness.

The wolf bristled, gold eyes shining brightly at the sound of the knock and his wife bouncing out of bed. Why did she keep putting herself between him and potential danger? He would much rather something happen to him than to her! She had the baby to think about, and she clearly wasn't thinking about their child at all.

Tobias growled lowly. "Della's right, come back to bed."

DragonSong

"But--" Tessa glanced back at him, met his eyes, and sighed. It clearly pained her to do so, but she slowly sank back to sit on the edge of the bed. One hand reached out to clasp her husband's. Her back was still ramrod straight, eyes snapping fire, but she stayed. "Okay. But if that's someone come to try to take Toby away again, I--! I'll..."

She took a breath and closed her eyes, shaking slightly. Her grip on Tobias's hand tightened.

"I know, Miss, I know," Della soothed. "I'll just go see who it is. It's probably nothing. You two rest."

Tessa nodded slowly as she watched the older woman go, closing the door behind her. She felt herself grow tenser with every step she heard the cook take, and when she heard the front door opening she actually started to get out of the bed again, still clutching Toby's hand.

Then she caught herself, forced her breathing to calm, and sat. She glanced back at her husband with some combination of guilt and fierce, righteous anger. She opened her mouth, but no words came. With a heavy exhale, she laid down beside him, wrapping her arms carefully around his neck and pressing herself as close to him as she could manage without risk of hurting him. She didn't speak, just held him tight, trembling.

The voices at the front door rose, an argument. Tessa felt so tense she was sure she was about to break apart at the seams. Then there was a pause, lowered voices, footsteps moving back toward their room-- A knock at the door.

"Tessa," Della's voice came through softly, almost hesitantly. "It's... It's Master Varrys and Madam. They'd like to see you."

Zero

"Nobody is taking me away again." The words were a low growl, and a promise. Tobias wasn't being taken again. The wolf would fight to the death if it had to, but it would not be caged again. He squeezed her hand gently and held firm when she started moving again.

"Come here." He asked, quietly and with a soft quiver to his voice. Who was at the door wasn't all that important until they proved to be an actual problem. His mate being tense and upset was a lot more pressing of an issue to the wolf. She was pregnant, so much stress was bad for her and the pup. He wanted to comfort her, but it soothed and comforted him just as much to have her pressing close.

When the voices grew louder, arguing, it was the wolf's turn to grow tense. A low, angry growl vibrated in his chest.

"It's your parents." A moment later Della knocked on the door to say the same, and that they wanted to see Tessa. His grip tightened on her, he couldn't push down the upset rumble in his chest. Erik Varrys had sold him out to Striker. All his pain could be traced back to him. It hurt all the more because the man was his mate's father. "If you get out of this bed I am going too."

DragonSong

Tessa had gone very still and quiet in Toby's arms. Her mind was racing, her heart suddenly hammering nervously against her ribs. Make them go away. It was her first impulse, to simply beg Della to send her parents away.

But she knew that wouldn't work. Erik Varrys did not take kindly to being refused, as he had made very clear those first few weeks after she left her parents home, when he'd been hammering down Della's door twice a day. Tessa had resolutely refused to see him, which had led to the merchant attempting to corner her on her journeys through the city. Only the threat of making a scene in the middle of the legal district had finally gotten him to stop hounding her.

But it seemed now he was back, with her mother in tow. While a large part of Tessa would have been very happy never seeing Erik Varrys again-- another part of her, small as it might be, missed her mother.

She whimpered quietly and cuddled closer into Tobias's warmth. She didn't want him up and moving around, but she knew he meant what he said. And she knew if they didn't address this it was just going to make matters worse.

As if cued by her thoughts, her father's voice suddenly rang out. "Damnit, Della, we know she's here! We have a right to see our daughter!"

Tessa choked back a sudden sob, turning her face into her husband's chest. "I have to make him leave," she whispered. "Della doesn't deserve this, she's done so much..." She took a breath, then sat up slowly. "Give me a moment, tell them I'll be out."

"Yes, Miss-- Yes, Tessa."

Turning back to Tobias, Tessa narrowed her eyes at him. "Toby, you are hurt. Please just let me handle this?" The instant the words were out of her mouth she knew they'd do no good. With a soft sigh, she raised a hand to quiet his argument she knew would be coming. "Okay. Okay, come with me. But be careful, please?"

She stood from the bed, squeezing his hand gently. Her eyes flickered over him, battered and scarred and naked. She bit her lip and leaned around him to grab for the blanket, wrapping it around him as best she could. "I'm sorry," she murmured as she did. "I'm so sorry this is happening, Toby. I'll make them leave, and then you can get some sleep."

Zero

"Careful." The word probably came out a little drier than intended, but Tobias grunted softly and pulled himself out of bed with no small amount of effort. He probably shouldn't be up walking around yet, but neither should Tessa and he wasn't going to let her face her parents alone.

Some part of him also wanted to make sure they saw him just as he was now. Too bad they hadn't seen him while he was still a bloody mess, but battered, bruised, and scarred would do.

"It's not your fault, Tessa. Your father on the other hand..." A growl escaped him, eyes burning brightly as the wolf's anger simmered inside him. One day Erik Varrys would be made to pay for his part in all of this, but not tonight. Tobias was wounded and weak. He also didn't want to kill his mate's father in front of her.

Wrapped in the blanket, for modesty's sake, he nodded to the door and used the wall as a crutch. He could walk if he leaned against the wall for support. It was unpleasant, but it was doable.

DragonSong

Her heart broke a little bit with every step he took, aching for him, wishing she could take the pain away. But the best she could do was slip under his arm, offering support as they painstakingly made their way out into Della's main room.

Erik and Nateri had been shepherded into a corner of the room near the front door, Jonathan leaning up against the kitchen counter with his arms folded over his chest. He didn't say anything, just offered a nod for Tessa and Tobias when they made their way into the room.

Her mother took a step toward her, reaching out, and she flinched back instinctively. Della scowled, opening her mouth, but her husband laid a hand on her shoulder, murmuring something softly about, "Not our place."

"Rosie..." Nateri placed her hand to her lips, her eyes welling up as she looked over the two of them: Tobias broken, battered, scarred and her daughter far too thin and pale. Tessa looked away, steeling herself with a breath.

"Celestia, please." Erik stepped forward. His eyes skated over Tobias, and for the barest moment there seemed to be a flicker of something like guilt or regret in his eyes. Then he set his jaw and looked to his daughter, trying to hold her gaze. "Tessa, I am sorry. I never dreamed that Striker would--"

"Don't lie to me," Tessa hissed, cutting him off. She took a step in front of her husband, feeling her breathing pick up as rage heated her body. "Don't you dare. You knew exactly what that monster was capable of, you just didn't care. You just wanted Toby gone, you thought if he was out of my life I'd just forget and I could marry Jarret like a good little girl and everything would be exactly as you planned!"

She was panting lightly, the room starting to spin around her, but she didn't care. "You didn't care! You didn't care that I love him, that he loves me, that Striker would torture him, that I was already carrying his child!"

Her mother gasped, both hands flying up to clasp over her lips, and Erik blanched. Tessa had no doubt that they had heard the rumors-- because of course there had been rumors-- but they might not have believed them until she said it outright like that. She didn't care. She was too angry, shaking as rage coursed through her. Or maybe that was the exhaustion-- she really didn't care anymore.

Zero

Tobias was there for support, and to protect, so he was content to allow his mate handle the talking. He did reach a hand forward to lightly touch her side when she moved in front of him. It helped keep him calmer, though he was growling softly most of the time, and his eyes held a dangerous glow.

Everything about him softened immediately when Tessa started becoming far too worked up as she berated her father for what the man had put them through. She wasn't well enough to handle this confrontation. It was just another reason for him to loathe Erik Varrys, who only thought of what he wanted and what he thought was best. Clearly the man had no care for Tessa's well-being or happiness if he was willing to condemn the man she professed to love – the man that was the father of her unborn child.

His hand slid from her side to press protectively against the soft swell of her pregnant stomach, pulling her back against him. Even though he could barely stand, the wolf found the strength to stand now, fixing Erik with a piercing stare.

"I think you've caused quite enough pain and distress to my family for a lifetime, Erik. The only reason your head is still attached to your body right now is because you fathered my mate and I think she has been under enough strain without seeing her husband kill her father. Let me be absolutely clear that just because I am not going to kill you today does not mean I want you anywhere near me, my wife, or my children." The threat was more of a coldly delivered promise of violence if the man came near his family uninvited again.

It was only flawed in that Tobias ended up leaning against the nearby wall, shivering. His energy reserves were completely depleted. He was exhausted.

DragonSong

Erik opened his mouth, his eyes going dark-- and then he stopped.

Tessa was practically vibrating with tension. She glared at her father, daring him to argue. Tobias's threat sent a chill down her spine, but she pushed it away.

If she was being honest, a part of her would have been viciously, vindictively pleased to watch her husband tear into him. This man wasn't her father anymore, wasn't her family.

Then, for perhaps the first time in her life, she saw him back down. Erik Varrys lowered his head and murmured, "Understood. We...will leave." He turned toward the door, then paused, looking at Della. "I don't suppose I could convince you to return to the estate?" It was clear he knew his answer before he received it.

"No." The cook stared him down, her voice cool and even. "My resignation is final, Master Varrys. As is my daughter's. We've done just fine getting new work."

Erik sighed and nodded. He held a hand to his wife, pulling her after him. "Come, Nateri. It is clear we are unwanted here."

The older woman wouldn't stop staring at Tessa, first her face, then her barely swelling stomach, then her collar, where the briefest hint of that scar was visible over the neckline of her dress. Tessa could see in her eyes that she had heard the rumors about that too. Her mother's eyes overflowed, one hand reaching for her.

"Rosie..."

Her heart clenched, and she looked away, stepping back more firmly into her husband's arms. "No, Mama," she whispered. "No."

Her eyes were lowered, so she could only hear the door open and shut, hear her parents' footsteps as they left the house. The moment the sound faded, she sagged, twisting to press her face into the curve of Tobias's shoulder and laying her hands gently on his hips.

"Oh, Miss." Della came up behind her, rubbing her shoulders lightly. She looked up at Tobias's face and mouthed, You both should be in bed.

Zero

It was a good thing that Erik Varrys decided to back down, because Tobias didn't have the energy to put him in his place. At least not right now. He refused to seem any weaker than he already did. So he settled for glaring until the intruders finally left.

Tobias wrapped both arms around Tessa's waist when she turned to press against him. His shoulder rested against the wall now to keep him up so that he could hug her tight. It made him furious that they had come here and upset his mate in her delicate condition. He nodded at Della over his wife's head.

The werewolf gave a soft whine as he buried his face in Tessa's hair, breathing in her comforting scent. It was past time they both got back into bed. Both of them needed to recover from their separation.

"Let's go back to bed, darlin'. You still need to eat some more. A couple bites isn't enough." His voice was gentle and coaxing as he kissed the top of her head lovingly. Tobias was determined to see his mate fed and sleeping comfortably as soon as possible. They just had to hobble back down to their room and then they could both focus on making each other better.

DragonSong

With a small, rather pathetic sniffle, Tessa nodded and pulled away from him, though she clasped his hands in hers. "Right." She took a breath, trying to steady herself.

When her breathing had evened out a bit, she glanced back over her shoulder at Della with a thin, wan smile and murmured, "Thank you, Dell." She looked up into Tobias's face and leaned up on her toes to kiss him softly, then twined her fingers through his as she pulled him back into their room.

Once the door was closed behind them, she helped Toby get to the bed and laid the blanket over him gently, even tucking it in at the edges before she crawled in beside him and tucked herself into the curve of his body. She knew she should finish off her bowl of stew, but she was just so tired.