Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Slaves by Combat (DragonSong) One Year before current date

Started by Saber-Five, December 29, 2015, 05:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber-Five

"She will be. Meeta maybe young, but she has quite the strength to see things through to the end. It something I don't see too often among us slaves."

A bearded and elderly man named Dakur noted as he finished wrapping over Meeta's brusied areas. Meeta with her eyes still closed squirm slightly as the effects of the healing oil kicked in.

Dakur looked toward Lani with sympathetic eyes.

"I know you don't want any part of this life we all stuck with. Just don't blame yourself for this, Meeta won't hate you for what happen, she choose this path and accepted the risks. Trust me, she would do it again if meant another inch toward freedom for herself."

DragonSong

Her lip curled. "I don't blame myself," she muttered. It was mostly true. "I blame them."

She tried to sit up, waving healers away. "How long am I expected to endure your master's hospitality then?" she grumbled, wincing as her aching body's protested movement.

Saber-Five

Dakur refused to reply to Lani's statement regarding the nobles, though he secretly felt similar feelings toward the higher class. He had grandchildren, serving in this household to think about than indulge in open or even sutble defiance.

As for her new question and he answered with a sigh.

"Two days and three nights. Master Kaa will be busy celebrating with your owner over a new business deal, cornering a newly discovered trade route. He wants to be a good host for him. So you and Meera will have time to catch a breath. I suggest you don't waste this chance, it's a lot better than going straight back to the pits."

DragonSong

She nodded reluctantly. Brusquely, she asked, "That water for bathing? Gods know I could use it." And some clothes would be nice, but she didn't want to push her luck too far just yet.

Saber-Five

"It's for relaxation my child. We have oils and special tools that you and Meeta can use to clean yourselves. Once you're done with that you enjoy the pool. I'm afaird bath robes are the only clothes you will allowed in this stay."

He knew that Lani didn't asked for clothes but Dakur, who had lived long enough to tell what most people wanted, judging by their expression and body language. By this point, Meeta had stopped squirming and was peacefully asleep. So the healers tending to her and put the covers under Meeta.

"Perhaps it's for the best you get some rest tonight and let your wounds heal." Dakur added.

DragonSong

She still wanted that bath, but she was exhausted. She knew she'd regret it in the morning, waking up sore and covered in sweat, but she collapsed back against the bed with a nod.

"Right. Thanks." She was unsure how to react to this treatment. People hadn't been so nice to her since she'd first set foot in Essyrn.

Saber-Five

Dakur nodded in reply, he and the other healers then proceeded to leave. The old man knew the kindness and luxury Lani experiencing would be short-lived. He just hoped his fellow slaves did enjoy themselves while it lasted. The staff blew out the candles in the room and closed the door behind them once they left.

DragonSong

Lani didn't sleep, at least not at first. When she finally did drift off, she was restless and woke often. She didn't like sleeping in new places, it made her feel vulnerable.

About he third time she woke, she gave an irritated growl and got out of bed. She moved to the balcony, hoping the fresh air would calm her some.

Saber-Five

Slowly, Meeta stirred and opened her eyes by the time when Lani went to the balcony.

"Where am I?" She said to herself, loud enough for Lani to hear though.

DragonSong

She started, not expecting the other woman to wake up so soon. Crossing back into the room, she pulled the blanket off the bed and used it to cover herself.

"One of your master's guest rooms," she answered coolly. "A reward for a good fight." She glanced over at the other bed. "How you feeling then?"

Saber-Five

Needless to say, Meeta was surprised to see Lani here until the other woman explained. Meeta a gave of understanding, it made some sense. Somtimes he gave away rewards, still to have a whole room for even a short time was quite the bonus.

"I'm sore all over to be honest, but no worries I'll be okay. How about you?"

DragonSong

She gave a small smirk. "You're good, chiana, but not good enough to really hurt me. Not yet at any rate. Give it a few more fights."

She tilted her head and added, "You've got an impressive right hook. Keep working on that, could be your powerhouse move." Then she shrugged, Indicating the younger woman could take her advice or not, didn't matter to her.

Saber-Five

She looked down, embarrassed that she only succeeded in taking a beating. Still how many new fighters can say they lasted as long with someone like Lani in the pits? She laughed softy even though it hurt a little to do so.

"Right hook huh? I'll keep that in mind." She repiled looking back to her former competitor. Meeta intended to stronger and stronger, getting advice from an experienced champion like Lani was an honor indeed.

"What this word chiana you keep calling me? Every time you said it during the fight, I got angry and angrier."

From somewhere in the back of her mind, Meeta swore that heard that word somewhere else back a long time ago...but she couldn't remember exactly.

DragonSong

"Hm? Oh, it means little girl, pretty girl, something like that." She shrugged, scratching her neck a little sheepishly. "It's usually a- what do you call it, endearment? Something friends and family call their young women."

She shrugged again. "Guess it did the trick though, I was trying to get a rise out of you."

Saber-Five

"I see" Meeta stated in a tone that said she was disappointed that she still seen almost like a child. Then she remembered that Lani had actually came from the plains up north, one of the nomads. Just like her mother...

"Funny thing is Lani, my blood is not fully Essnryi. The other half belonged to my mother who came from the Serha Plains."

DragonSong

Lani quirked an eyebrow. "You know my name," she noted vaguely, then frowned. "A plains girl, huh? Like me then, at least half."

A small, begrudging sort of smile twitched at the edges of her mouth and she bowed shallowly at the waist, pressing a clenched fist to her heart. "Well met, sister."

Then she snorted, glancing around. "Not exactly "well", I suppose, but you get the idea."

Saber-Five

"I do. To be fair I never been outside of Essryn. Also mother died shortly after I was born, so I wasn't exactly taught anything about her people's ways or what tribe she belonged to." Meeta answered back.

Inwardly, she was curious about the plains people, she didn't ask much about them since she lived in an culture that praised itself above its neighbors. A part of her considered that perhaps her fighting spirit came from her mother's people.

She had so many questions, yet Meeta was afraid that Lani wouldn't want to answer since such questions would probbaly remind of her current situation.

DragonSong

Lani tilted her head. "Figured you were born a slave," she muttered. Then, realizing that might not have been the best thing to say, she added, "Not from the way you fought- if anything that would've made me think you were free once. It's the way you looked coming into the arena, something in your eyes..."

She trailed off and shrugged, not even entirely sure why she'd said that. "Not to brag, but you took quite a beating, chia- Meeta. You should probably rest."

Saber-Five

Somehow Meeta knew Lani didn't mean any malice behind her words, though some of them still did hurt. Deep down, she wanted somewhere to belong to. Meeta hoped that perhaps if she eventually earn her freedom through combat, she will be accepted into her father's society.

Where was he when mother died? Gotten himself exiled that what happen and I was stuck raised in a harlot house before being sold off to Kaa. The younger woman thought with pent-up resentment she kept buried for now. Being the offspring of two different worlds and with a questionable origins was bitter lot to bear in Essryn.

Instead of expressing these feelings, Meeta pretended smile and repiled.

"You're right I should. See you tomorrow."

Then Meeta went back to bed and quickly fell asleep again.

DragonSong

Something in the younger woman's tone rang false, but Lani figured it wasn't her place to question. Shrugging mentally, she turned to her own bed and laid down, sighing as her battered body finally relaxed.

For some reason, this time she had a much easier time of falling asleep.

Tags: