Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Homage to Bar Beginnings [Open]

Started by EraMemory, January 08, 2016, 01:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EraMemory

"And, and, and I said to him, ya need a handle wi'that, bruh?" The knight slurred as he took another enthusiastic swill, waving his mug of grog around in animated gestures that left half of it spilling into the ground. "An' he told me, not with a quill, I won't!"

And that sent the dozen or so crowded around him in another uproar, laughing generously as they traded bumps with mugs before chugging their booze whole. There were many a pat on the back or two for the storyteller, and a general call for another round of ale all around.

And soon the young, drunken man lasped into his next story, gesticulating wildly, speaking with great brass and boasts in between alternate chugs, now spinning some tale of dragons, two elven druids and an impotent old man. It was only too obvious that his talk was all boast and tall tales, but he was damn good about it, and as long as it entertained the crowd no one called him out about it. Every climax he built up to was met with a roaring cheer, every twist and turns met with gasps and naggings for more, and he always paused just the right amount of time to whet his audience's stomachs, anticipating for more, before dropping the final, clinching line. After which would often by succeeded by swooping yells of victory, a roar of approval and yet another barrel of ale emptied.

"...And he was this, big, bouldering lizard, huh?" He gestured, miming the flap of great, enormous wings, which drew a shuddering gasp or two from his avid listeners. "Great nasty eyes, yellow like sick blight, like, and his claws each larger than a scimitar, see? Red flames and black smoke curling from his snout, huh, like there's this hellfire churning in the furnace of his scaly gut, huh!" He spoke in a cur, coarse accent of rural Connoloathian, and judging from his slangs and jargons it was evident he had been a military man. His hair however, long, uncombed, was starkly different from the conscripted, neat military do, nor was his bearing, wearing an ensemble of shabbly-clod together pieces of armor in various states of oxidization in no formal manner whatsoever. He had a thin scar across one eye, and multiple piercings on one ear.

Raising his mug and taking a long draw from the brew again, he let out a satisfied sigh and wiped the foam off his sleeve. "And then-" Cue the dramatic pause. "I let me sword down n' cleaved the mean beastie like a shallie!!!"

The crowd burst into a frenzied round of cheers and chortles again, mugs raised and toasting in the air in the jubilant delivery of the punchline.

Taking a pause, Aran broke away from the gathering, pausing to accept a few manly grips and approving remarks on his way out. Red in the face and light on his feet, it was a miracle alone who he'd managed ten steps with his feets crossed like that, but he did manage to reach the other end of the bar. Tripping slightly, he stumbled and reached for the nearest support of a table, accidentally knocking over a jug in the process. "Oops." He mumbled drearily. "Sahrry."

SilmeriaElemred

((OoC: I will enter with my character Silmeria on this one if you do not mind.))

''It's alright.'' Silmeria spoke quickly moving away from the table to prevent her drink to end up on her clothes. In overal her clothing was simple travelers clothes with shades of green, gold embroiding and beige. Her cloak however was black with her hood up concealing her long white hair.

''Though be carefull. Not a lot of persons are kind enough to let you slip by just like that. You had some good stories. Not sure if you are to drunk or to sober but have you ever met a phoenix before? If so I will share my table with you to hear that tale. Wether it is true or not.''

One of the serving wenches cleaned up the table and some people had grown quiet when hearing the mention of a phoenix. For many heard the tale or at the least rumors that one had been destroying the camps mages had been held. Despite no casualties, with the civil war running in Connlaoth and mages being treated as criminals in overal, many saw the bird of flame as a disgrace tobe put down.

EraMemory

"Aye?" The drunk soldier pushed himself up with the table's support, followed by a breif struggle to sidle into the aisle of the bench. "Wells then, Missy, you'd better buy me and yerself one, cos' we got summat to talk about, eh? Keeps!" He waved over to the burly, permanently sullen tender of the pub. "Bring me o'ver some of that you keep o'er at the back, huh? And none of the cheap, watered down marlock smosh- we be wanting the good stuff!"

The tender gave a nod, and disappeared into the back- a minute later, he emerged with a heavy gourd in hand, and laid two mugs out between the broad and the tale-weaver. The liquid he poured out was heavy but smooth, a dark, potent brew that replaced the regular nutty or fruity layers of ale with a strong rumlike quality. The rough man gave his mug a swirl, waited for the froth to settle, before taking a tentative gulp, followed by a large draw.

"Ahhh... tis' the poison." He sighed, coming away like a drug addict who's just had his fix. "Thicker than pig's blood, and goes down easier than donkey's piss." It was an acquired taste, no doubt.

Waving slavishly at the silver-haired young lady, he tapped the side of his brew with a knowing grin. "So... Phoenix, huh?" He slurred, his words strung together, enunciations flowing into one another, made even worse by his colloquial dialect. "Aye, ain't laid eyes on a rare bird lik' dat before, but I've heard my shares, huh.

"Feathers like a brilliant plumage stolen from the sun, eyes of molten gold. Soar thru morns when's a king's born, and dances the skies when the kings die. Born of ashes, to ashes they return. Have yourself a good roast stick of its flesh, and you'll live a thousand years. Pish posh, and all that."
He settled back, lifting his legs onto the table unceremoniously. "Really, that there's a load of tosh fer about a wee fiery chicken, tha's all. What's yer interest innit, huh?"

SilmeriaElemred

((I apolagise for the delay))

'Wee fiery chicken.... oh be glad we did not meet a millenia ago' Silmeria thought to herself and took a good sip of her own drink.

''My interest huh?'' Silmeria asked casually, twirling the drink in her glass. ''A phoenix has been spotted in a variety of places. Mainly in Serendipity but Connlaoth too.''

''Miss...'' Another visitor aproached the table they were on. ''Are you by any chance thinking of... slaying or capturing it?''

''Slaying, no. What would you do if indeed consuming it's flesh allows you to live a thousand years?  I am just curious.'' Silmeria replied. ''It would be a shame to destroy a creature whose tears can heal any poison, any wound, infection, even broken bones. I like to know what others know and see the truth with my own two blue eyes when I meet one.'' Silmeria finished her drink and ordered another including another for Aran.

''But I do wonder what will happen if someone would present the creature to the grand duke. Would the phoenix be tamed to do the Grand Duke's bidding? Would he kill it? To make it pay for the mage camps it had destroyed? Unlike dragons a phoenix tends to be spotted a lot... less... often. So I look for people who have the same... experienced eyes as I have and see what they know. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to find one.''

Her gaze, slightly seductive went to Aran. Briefly she considered giving him a drink laced with her healing tears to remove the alcohol out of his system but she was not sure if that was a right thing to do. At the least not in a crowded bar.