Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Feather of Fate [M] [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, January 27, 2016, 08:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Penny smiled apologetically, nodding in acknowledgement. That had been a silly question. "Fair enough. Have a nice day," she bid him, lifting a hand to wave briefly before snatching up her book again. With a quick, thoughtful glance she added a playful, "Don't work too hard."

DragonSong

Mal rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I'm the one who works to hard." He slipped back out of the room and poked his head into the kitchen, glancing around the small cottage.

"Kura? You around?"

Juno

The mage poked her head into the hall wearily at the sound of her name, staring at the phoenix for a moment just judging whether or not she should actually entertain his presence. After a moment she stepped out of her quarters and puttered down toward the kitchen to join him, cup of tea already in hand as she gave him an assessing look. She noted he seemed far too alert for the morning compared to previous ones.

"Of course I am. It is my house," Kura teased, snorting and casting a disapproving look toward the door to the study. She really wished Penny would get her nose of the books and start practicing, but she supposed it would take more time for her student to gain the confidence to try.

Turning back to the phoenix she raised a brow questioningly. "Something you need from me?"

DragonSong

"Actually, I was sort of hoping it might be the other way around." He gave her an almost sheepish smile. "I've really got nothing to do while Penny's being all obsessed, was hoping you might give me a project or something."

Juno

Kura studied him carefully with one arched brow, absently crossing her arms and trying to determine his seriousness and sincerity. He hadn't disappointed with his previous work, but she certainly didn't want him feeling obligated to work for her as a guest by extension of her student.

"I'm surprised she's kicked you out already," she assumed with a snort, glancing towards the door to the study before offering him an apologetic smile. Decision made, Kura relaxed her posture a bit and lifted her cup to her lips as she turned thoughtfully this way and that.

"Are you any good with patching a roof?" she wondered, eyes settling on him again with a curious glint. "We've had some leaks for a while now and it would be nice to have them fixed up while it's sunny before we're caught in a storm again. Only if you want to. And it's not too high for you. Or too far." She added the last as an afterthought, uncertain if he'd be able to complete everything with Penny tucked away like she was as an anchor for their bond.

DragonSong

Mal gave her a lopsided grin. "Well, we won't know until I try, huh? You got tools or something you want me to use?"

He was a little worried about the bond, if he was honest, but he didn't see the point in not trying.

Juno

"Of course, give me a moment." Kura smiled warmly, truthfully very pleased with him despite her own feelings on the matter.

After finishing her tea and setting the cup aside she stepped out into the main room, crouching to rummage through cupboards for a few moments before she brightened and pulled out a small pail with a few different hammers. Setting that aside she retrieved a small wooden box with nails, though a cursory inspection revealed that there were several of the larger ones for the roof boards inside.

"These should be fine," she murmured distractedly. Placing the box in the pail she lifted the whole thing to set on top of the cupboard before flitting away to dig through a closet in the hall. Pulling out a few spare whole boards she frowned at them, looking them up and down before deciding they were the best she had and setting them aside for Mal. "These are too big, but- There should be a saw outside somewhere, probably around back."

Kura winced in memory before offering him an apologetic smile. "Penny got it stuck in a log last winter. I'm sure it's all rusted now, but I could pretty it up for you if you'll bring it in to me," she offered.

DragonSong

"Nah, I am manage with this." Mal smiled and took the supplies with a jaunty wink. "Fire mage remember? I can weaken the wood to break it apart. And I promise I won't burn the house down," he added with a laugh as he moved toward the door. Seemed he was going to test their bond through trial and error.

Juno

Kura winced at his assurance but felt she needed to give him the benefit of the doubt on this. Even if he did start some horrible fire she was certain she'd be able to put it out before it did any real damage. "As long as you don't," she chuckled, though her features softened considerably as she studied him as he left her.

"Thank you, Mal. I suppose you really do have a good head on your shoulders," she praised lightly, offering him a genuine smile before turning to head back to her own quarters. She was content to see how the day played out, whether either he and Penny might make any progress with their predicament or if all that would come of it would be a patched roof.

"Let me know if you need any other supplies," she called as an afterthought, not looking back to him but waving her hand towards the ceiling in gesture.

DragonSong

"Well, I ought to," Mal laughed. "Da just about beat the darn thing into shape with all the books he threw at me growing up." He tossed Kura another light smile and a wink as he slipped outside, waving over his shoulder to let her know he'd heard her offer.

Getting onto the roof wasn't all that difficult. To his pleasant surprise, though there was a faint tugging in his chest it wasn't exactly painful and he thought he could work through it. He set about patching the weak spots he could see, using a bit of magic here and there to augment his strength or the speed of his work.

Fire wasn't his only capability, it was just his strongest suit.

Juno

There was a distinct discomfort that settled into Penny that she just couldn't shake for a good part of the day. It was similar to what she'd felt whenever separated from Mal but somewhat amplified. She fidgeted in her seat, becoming unfocused and constantly losing her place in her reading for it coupled with the odd sounds coming from the roof. It was downright distracting, but she managed to jot down a couple of notes and ideas so the day wasn't entirely useless.

By mid afternoon she had become entirely restless, realizing she'd been alone and neither Kura nor Mal had been in to check on her. That was ridiculous, though, what kind of grown woman needed that sort of attention?

Shaking her head and setting her books aside she closed the small notebook and took it with her as she finally emerged from the study. Looking around, though, she frowned and realized that neither of them were out in the main part of the house. Wandering down the hall a bit she called quietly for her teacher but the older mage didn't answer. Probably napping, Penny assumed with a sigh, feeling guilty about wanting to share her ideas with her, maybe even get them "approved" before pitching them to Mal. It seemed wrong to just experiment and try things that very well might end up with either or both of them being badly hurt.

Holding the book stiffly against her hip she moved back out towards the main room, shuffling around under the sounds above. Somehow that soothed her a bit, so she assumed Mal was up there. Perhaps they were both outside, but it seemed an odd thing for Mal to do without her being any closer. With a mixture of relief and sadness she wondered if perhaps their bond was becoming weaker.

Making up her mind, she stepped outside and peered up at the roof, tilting her head questioningly at the odd sounds. "Mal? Is that you up there?"

DragonSong

"Whoa!"

He'd been so absorbed in his work he hadn't even noticed her approach. Mal started, almost pitching backward off the roof, then managed to steady himself.

"Gods above!" he peered down at Penny and laughed. "I'm gonna have to get you a bell, girl. What's up?"

Juno

Penny just stared wide-eyed as he caught himself, the action seeming in slow-motion as her heart leapt wildly in her chest.

"Maybe so," she whispered, feeling guilty for startling him. "I thought you might have sensed my presence. Or something." It sounded silly to her once the words were out of her mouth but she shook her head, trying to refocus herself on why she'd gone to check on him.

"I think I might have found...something. I don't know if it will work, but there's a few passages about weather...management. And something about stilling winds. Perhaps using it on ourselves might help? It's part air, after all. Thought it might be worth a try."

DragonSong

"Alright." He rubbed the back of his neck and glanced back at his work. "Mind if I finish up here? Won't take more than fifteen minutes."

He tossed another smile in her direction; now that she was within his sight again, he suddenly felt more relaxed, though he hadn't even realized he was tense before.

Juno

"Of course, take your time," she insisted, waving in dismissal before fussing her hands uncomfortably in her skirts. She didn't exactly want to leave his presence but didn't want to disturb him from his work either.

"I'll wait out here, get some fresh air," she called up to him with her excuse, moving a little ways from the house so she wouldn't be hovering in his workspace but could still keep an eye on him. "She's not working you too hard, is she?"

DragonSong

Mal scoffed. "Of course not, I can handle this." He flexed dramatically and threw her a wink as he continued working.

"How 'bout you, little thing? Still pushing yourself too hard?"

Juno

"Well I had to ask." She just shook her head at his theatrics, though she couldn't quite hide a smile for his silliness.

It was hard to keep smiling through his jab, though, and a determined frown set upon her face instead. "I'm not pushing myself too hard, I'm trying to learn how to fix this. Don't you want to be free again? Not going to happen if I don't take this seriously."

DragonSong

"Penny." He sat back and frowned down at her. "Taking something seriously and working yourself to death are two different things. You're treading dangerously close to the line."

Juno

She felt a bit hesitant about the whole thing. If he was so concerned she probably should have been as well, right?

"As I've said, no one's ever died from too much reading, Mal. I'll be fine," she insisted gently. "I know when to stop. And it's not like you and Kura would let me starve or anything. It's just important. Probably the "greatest" thing I'll ever accomplish with my magic and I want to do it right."

DragonSong

He rolled his eyes, exasperated. "Is it so important that you do something great with your magic?"

Sure, he'd like to get this link between them sorted out, but he had a feeling it was about more than that for Penny.