Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Isabeau and the Stowaway (Dragonsong)

Started by Whim, January 31, 2016, 12:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

The sun had been up a few hours by now. In a day or two they' reach Faran' s Rock. It was a small port used by smugglers and freebooters. It was smaller than Ainu, but had a rougher crowd. It would be a good place to procure replacements for the fallen crew and supplies to repair the damage. It would be business as usual afterwards.

"I don't know. Uh, since dawn?" the boy looked up from his book, but didn't close it.

"Don't suppose your old cabin boy left any clothes behind? Some Yoreiqi boys took my clothes," Ewan wrinkled his nose and looked down at the colorful loincloth left behind. "I look like some savage little dockrat."
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

DragonSong

"Dawn?" Isabeau groaned, swinging her legs over the side of the bed and standing up. "Fuck. I've got to..." She moved toward the door, then paused at his question.

"Maybe. C'mon, I'll see if I can find something after my rounds."

Whim

Ewan offered a small smile. "I didn't rise at down to one-up you. I had to piss. That and you were talking in your sleep." He thought it was best not to mention the muffled cries and thrashing; probably just nightmares.

The boy toddled after Isabeau as she made her rounds. No one told him to do anything so he didn't. They passed sailors adjusting the riggings, though Ewan hadn't the faintest clue of what they were doing. Briefly they passed Neil, with his still-discolored abdomen, who gave the little sorcerer a dark look.

"You recovered fast," Ewan muttered in a small voice, trying to sound cheery.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

DragonSong

Rolling her eyes, Isabeau clamped a hand on the boy's shoulder and gave Neil a quick nod. "Check those knots, lad, doesn't look like they'll hold."

Steering Ewan away as she continued on her rounds, she thumped the back of his head lightly before she dropped her hand. "Eejit," she muttered. "Word of advice? Don't engage pirates unless they talk to you first. Especially not the ones you've royally pissed off."

Whim

"Ow!" Ewan yelped and muttered ruefully when they were out of earshot "What? I'm to be seen and not heard? "

And he still should be grateful.

"Captain," Crag's voice boomed. The man stood at the bow of the ship, shoulder cauterized with gunpowder. He beckoned Isabeau over with some urgency. "Need a word. Private."

The boy trotted behind her without thinking.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Isabeau paused when she was within reach of Crag, glancing down at her little tail, then back up at the pirate. "Private as in just me? Or do ya think the lad could stand to hear it?"

She honestly didn't want to leave him on his own just yet, a little worried that he might get himself into some more trouble.

Whim

"Shouldn't he be workin?" Crag snorted and offered a queer half-smile. "Not that a dock rat... or whatever he is... would know much bout this business."

The sailor beckoned the two close. Ewan sidled between Crag and Isabeau; he only came up to the waist of the former. The boy felt an odd swell of pride to be wrapped up in the intrigues of the ship.

"Caught a glimpse of lights on the horizen last eve, captain," the pirate dropped his voice. "Flickering ones, if you catch my drift. Lookout didn't catch 'em. Or didn't think anything of it..."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Isabeau rubbed at the bridge of her nose, sighing. "Wonderful." She could already feel a headache coming on.

Shaking her head, she ordered briskly, "Tell whoever's up in the nest to keep an eye out for anything unusual. Don't be specific if you don't want to. You see something else, you report to me immediately, understood?"

Whim

"...so another ship is signalling someone on this ship?" Ewan whispered, pointing to the deck for emphasis.

The boy scanned the deck. He knew little of the crew, and only a handful by name, but there was a tension in the air. He swivelled back to Isabeau and Crag. "Well... I have a good alibi at least."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

The captain put her hand on top of the boy's head, urging him to hush. "No one's blaming you just yet, lad," she muttered, brow furrowed in thought.

She shook her head. "We can't do anything about it right now. Like I said, keep an eye out. You see anything odd, report it to me, but be discrete. If we have a sellout, the last thing we need is to tip him off."

Whim

"Aye, captain." Crag gave a curt nod and lumbered off down the deck. "I'll keep sharp."

Ewan gave Isabeau the think-eye as she hushed him, patiently waiting for Crag to stride off. "So who do you think it is? The ones who just joined don't look very bright..."

The boy doubted Finn or Neils really knew anything about signals. Both seemed to be dumb muscle who menaced merchants for drinking money. But they could tie knots and rig sails, too, so maybe there was more to them than met the eye.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

"Don't judge by looks, lad," Isabeau muttered. She shook her head. "I don't know who it could be, so keep your guard up with everyone."

Whim

"This sort of thing happen often?" the boy perched on a nearby crate, swinging his legs. He supposed it must. Unscrupulous types were surely unscrupulous among each other, after all!

Ewan regretted asking. Her authority was probably questioned enough without talk of betrayal. He offered a sympathetic smile. "Sorry. Maybe its nothing."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Isabeau could have read his mind just then, and she arched an eyebrow at him. "Do you mean, have a been betrayed by my crew before? Yes. This sort of thing happens. A lot."

She shrugged, leaning against the rail of the deck and looking out at the sea. "Normally it's the sort of thing that gets nipped in the bud though. Haven't had a whistle blower on the Storm since I shot the last one."

Whim

"Hauling cargo seems safer."

Ewan lay back and watched the ocean in silence. He'd be on this boat for quite a while before he reached Le'raana and there was a lot he didn't understand. The boy was roused, however, by an angry bark.

"Oy! Cabin boy! Got to clear up the galley after meals; left a right mess down there last eve."

"But I-" Ewan chewed his lip and looked to Isabeau. Do I have to do this?

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

The captain chuckled, nodding. "You heard him, cabin boy, hop to." She smirked. "Report back here when you're done."

Whim

"You'd be fawning over me if I didn't say what I was..." the boy grumbled to Isabeau as the cook, Tully, lead him off. Tully was had a way about him that seemed almost too gentle for a pirate, but a prickly sort of pride when it came to the galley.

Scrubbing plates was certainly easier than an entire deck. Although the remnants of last night's dinner was arguably less pleasant. Ewan worked wordlessly and Tully seemed to prefer it that way. He also didn't work very hard. He left the plates reasonably clean, but not spotless. There were better things to do.

The boy ducked away quietly. He meant to return to Isabeau, but it was then he remembered he left his satchel, with all his books and wands and ointments, in the galley someplace. But where was it? He began searching high and low...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

More worried by the idea of a whistle blower in their midst than she wanted to let on, Isabeau spent a majority of the morning making her rounds in contemplative silence, barking the occasional order but otherwise making not a sound as she ghosted her way over the ship.

Whim

Crag seemed to be doing the same job as Isabeau. Florent was watching the sea, the weathered pirate more somber than usual. Neils and Finn were loafing on the deck by mid-morning; the two youths were still green and impressionable for all their bravado - probably rattled from the fight. Tiny worked dilligently and spoke little as always.

Ewan slipped away from the galley to continue his search. Did he leave it in the stores? That's where he first slept but it wasn't behind the barrel!  Frustration and panic were beginning to build as he scurried around the ship.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Catching sight of Ewan bolting along the deck, Isabeau sighed and rubbed her temple. "Gods preserve me," she muttered, then called after him, "Oi, cabin boy! What the hell's got your knickers in a twist?"