Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Isabeau and the Stowaway (Dragonsong)

Started by Whim, January 31, 2016, 12:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

Ewan gently pealed the crude bandages away, already crusted to Neil's skin, and loose from the notions of his body. The boy grimaces at the odor of the wound. Fresh blood still oozed from it. Hopefully nothing vital was hit. The boy's transformation weakened his magic; there was no denying it. But life magic was predicated on the manipulation and movement of animus. That meant blood, and there was lots of it here. The boy chewed his lip and set to work.

It was a messy business. Normally Ewan would have used a brush, but all he had was his fingers.  The blood was smeared into a series of knotted glyphs over the body.

"O-okay. This ought to work..." he began to mutter a rhyming nonsense verse.

Floren grunted dubiously as he watched; Neil murmured in confused protest. "W-ai..."
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

DragonSong

Crag nodded and set off to do as he was told. Left at the helm, Isabeau simply stated out at the ocean.

Her mother. She hasn't given much thought to the woman in years- it was too painful. But a traitor? To people like that? She shook her head with a small sound of confusion and frustration. Her mother had been a dressmaker, not a warrior.

Whim

Ewan ignored the cries and reached for a jar of paste he kept in his pack. The boy smeared a stinking paste around the wound. Neil's stomach convulsed and bloated. His skin turned green and mottled; like a salamander's or a troll's. The man groaned. And then, as if it were clay, the gaping wound began to fuse...

Ewan cracked a smile at his handywork. Unpashed by the strange transformation. "There!"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

DragonSong

"What the bloomin' hell?!" Floren grabbed the boy's shoulder and jerked him back, staring at his friend with wide eyes before switching to glare at Ewan. "What'd you do to him?"

"Everything alright down here?" Crag's gruff voice suddenly sounded out as he descended below decks, eyes sharp as he took in the scene.

Back at the helm, Isabeau passed the wheel off to another member of the crew and began making her rounds, checking out the damage that had been done to her ship.

Whim

"Wait!" Ewan tried to jerk away from the pirate's firm grip, pointing emphatically to "He's healed now, see? But I've got to stop it or he'll be changed!"

The green flesh began to creep outward from Neil's wound. The youth skittered back across the table and Ewan twisted in Floren's grip.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

"Let 'im go," Crag said quickly when Floren opened his mouth. "He can hardly make things worse."

With a grunt, the pirate released Ewan and muttered, "You'd better fix this, cabin boy, or its your own skin."

Whim

Isabeau found the Poison Storm largely intact. The grappling hooks had splintered some wood and the pitch-dipped arrows marred the upper deck, plus the lower deck was a bloody mess. Fortunately, nothing vital was lost. Several of the crew were gathered around the fallen shirldbearer.

He was a giant of a man, skin pale and hoary, an anamoly amongst sailors. Running from his chest down his right arm was a tattoo of a two-headed serpent; both sets of jaws locked around a star. Most unusual were his weapons and armor... for they had begun to melt in the sun.

Ewan stepped forward and muttered a gutteral phrase, wiping the last of the paste from Neil's abdomen. The amphibian flesh ceased spreading. "Well he is fixed! Wound gone, see?" The boy huffed, sounding more indignant than intended. "It will wear off... um... soon."

Ewan gulped. Well, he's sort of fixed. The boy used Neil's dissipating life force to fuel his magic. Now there wasn't any fuel.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Floren didn't seem entirely convinced, but Crag gavve him a sharp nod. "That'll do, lad. Get topside an' see if Captain needs sommat else from you, aye?"

Isabeau was staring at the raider, eyes cold and face expressionless. Several of her crew had restrained the man, bound his wrists behind his back. "Who are you people?" she demanded. "why'd you attack my ship? Real answers now, none of this bullshit about my mother."

Whim

Neil sneered in disgust at the salamander flesh which grown over his sculpted abdomen, prodding it. "He made me a freak!" the young pirate sputtered.

Ewan chewed his lip to stop from laughing. He decided to backpedal out of the galley before things get worse. Help the captain, the boy grumbled inwardly, I just healed her crewman and that oaf wants me scrubbing decks!

"I fixed him! Um- Captain!" Ewan cheerfully announced as he reached the upper deck, like a child showing off a drawing. He fell abruptly silent when he saw what they were all crowded around.

The mistraider coughed up blood as the crew sat him up. A spear point was lodged in his chest. "You need not the binds. My time is short.

"Thane Gulbrannd spoke true. We are of the Misty isle Hoarheim," his lips curled into a smile. He coughed agained. "A harsh land for harsh men. It is the will of the Mist you be returned."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Snapping her fingers at Ewan to call him to her side, Isabeau arched an eyebrow. "How the bloody hell do you expect me to return to a place I've never even heard of, much less seen?" she demanded, kneeling in front of the man.

Vindictively, she reached out and twisted the shaft the spear, lips pulled back in a snarl. "And do you really expect me to forgive your Thane for this? I lost good men today. Now talk! Why this ship? Why me?"

Whim

Ewan gave Isabeau an uncertain look, sidling closer. He didn't ask why. He rather hoped the fallen warrior was a distraction...

The mistraider let out a low chuckle. "The Mists demand blood. Your's. Your mother's before you. Your grandfather's. That is why we bring you home..." he gave a tired grunt, shutting his eyes. "Favors for favors and blood for blood. The answers are yours, woman. Now do you give me what I seek?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Her heart sank and a strange tingle ran up her spine- like fear, but somehow more familiar than that. "Where is your island?" she hissed, tightening her hold on the spear and jerking sideways.

Whim

Ewan cringed as Isabeau twisted the spear, prancing backwards a step at the scream.

The Mistraider howled in pain. "Going to be that way then, eh?" he gritted his teeth, making a noise between a sickened cough and a laugh. With a groan he slumped down and the light left his eyes.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

With a noise somewhere between a growl of frustration and an exasperated sigh, Isabeau stood abruptly. "Get rid of the body," she snapped at her surrounding crew.

Turning to Ewan, she grabbed his shoulder and walked him a few paces away. "How's Neil?"

Whim

There was a loud sploosh as the mist raider's corpse met the ocean. It bobbed up and down in the waves, slowly drifting away.

"He's fine." Ewan shrugged with a smile. "My spell fixed him up perfectly. Not even a scar."

But the boy's eyes widened when he saw Neil's stomping up the stairs, looking rather cross. "Captain," he scowled and pointed at the mutation, "He... he did some kinda black magic! Look!"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Isabeau's eyes widened fractionally and she shot the cabin boy a look. "C'mere, Neil," she ordered, beckoning him closer with one hand and clamping the other down on Ewan's shoulder so he couldn't escape.

Arching one eyebrow, she said mildly, "Are you sure it was black magic, not just a mistake? He is only a lad, seems to me he probably just fu- screwed up his spell." She tilted her head at her crew member. "Does it hurt?"

Whim

"Don't know shit bout magic, Captain," he pointed an accusatory finger at Ewan. "Said he'd change me back when its done! All I know is I'm a damn lizard."

"And it don't hurt. But its slimy and weird as hells."

"It was the only way to make your skin grow back!" Ewan retorted angrily, instinctively trying to wriggle from Isabeau's grip. "You were squirming and I couldn't counter it soon enough! It... it should wear off..."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

The captain gave him an arch look. "Should?" she repeated, tightening her grip a bit. "And how long until it should?"

Whim

"A day? A week? A month?" Ewan looked down guility. "I put a lot of effort into making it work properly. My magic hasn't been so good lately... I used to be a lot stronger."

"He's not bleeding anymore, you know."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Well. He had a point. "As long as you're alive, Neil, I wouldn't be complaining," Isabeau said briskly.

Pulling Ewan with her, she moved a little way away from the rest of the crew and bent to be at eye level with him. "What do you mean, used to be?" she demanded.

Tags: