Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Isabeau and the Stowaway (Dragonsong)

Started by Whim, January 31, 2016, 12:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

"Your mother who they want? Was she a pirate t-" Ewan bit his lip and let it drop.

Ewan flushed with embarrassment and stuck his tongue out. "As far as I'm concerned girls are boring and germ-covered. Most grownups, uh, adults wouldn't want this sort of eternal youth.

"Unless they're hoping to spend it wrestling in the mud, playing tag, and swabbing decks."
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

DragonSong

Brushing off the instinctive tensing when he'd started to ask about her mother, Isabeau found herself laughing at him. "So it's more than just your body that reverted in age?" she asked, glancing over. "You've got the mentality of a child too?"

Whim

"Well that makes me feel stupid," he sighed, kicking his legs back and forth. "I can still read and write; even do sorcery. But its hard to sit still; fighting scares me more than it ought to, way more than it used to. Maybe its part of being small?

"When I was big I might've had a better plan to get home. Could've worked up a better a deal? Used a charm?" he kicked himself inwardly for not trying either.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

DragonSong

An arch of her eyebrow. "Intriguing," she murmured. Shooting him a smirk, she added, "Oh, lad, doesn't matter how big you are, you stow away on my ship and you're gonna pay for it." She shrug. "In fact, if you'd been a grown man I may have just thrown you overboard."

Whim

"Well if I was grown I'd not have stowed away! I'm a powerful sorcerer, you know."

Ewan gave a small smile and peered down at himself; it was hard to imagine being anything but small and scrawny "I guess being cute has some advantages. Suppose your being a willowy young girl's disarmed people too?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

She snorted. "Who're you calling willowy?" she demanded with mock outrage, twisting and folding her arms to emphasize her bust. Another huff of repressed laughter and she turned back to the wheel.

"It's not being a young girl that I've found most useful in pulling the wool over people's eyes," she said blithely. "Show enough cleavage and suddenly nobody's paying attention to your hand going for their coin purse."

Whim

Ewan averted his eyes. "Like I said... immunity to those charms is another little perk. Or a curse."

It was so easy to forget these pirates might've tried to rob him in another life, charming as they were. There was the matter of forced servitude but he couldn't blame them for that either.

The boy leaned back and peered up at the stars. "So where are we headed next? Never heard of Hoarheim."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

A frown stole over her face. "Well, we're sure as hell not going wherever that is," she muttered. "I've never heard of it either, but from now on I plan to avoid it like the plague."

She glanced at him. "Said you needed to get back to your home, right? We can dock in Cerenis, resupply, get you a step closer to where you need to be."

Whim

"Y-you'll take me back? Awfully kind of you!" Ewan perked up, and a smile crossed his face. Then the reality settled in a bit, as he realized the true distance. But beggars can't be choosers "...its two months just to La'marri isn't it? Let alone rounding the tip of Kishahn to get to Ceranis. That's a year at least."

"I guess I'll have this job a while," he smile bemusedly. He couldn't hide the fact he was a bit glum over the circumstance. "How do I get your crew to not hate me for that whole, um, salamander thing...?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Isabeau- trying to think of a way to be comforting and failing miserably- laughed at that. "Pray that it goes away," she chuckled. Tilting her head, she mused aloud, "Or, you know...magic up some ale or something, that'd probably do it."

Whim

"One trick I don't know. I dont hold liquor very well anymore," he cracked a smile and peered down toward the deck. There was a loud crash and rauckus cheer below. Ewan winced.

"...so why'd the last cabin boy jump ship?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

She shrugged carelessly. "Hell if I know. Probably got sick of hanging around pirates. Most cabin boys only stick with us as long as it takes to get where they want to be, then skip out." Her tone was simply blunt, not accusatory at all.

"It's just how it is out here. We don't really hold grudges for things like that."

Whim

"And I was feeing all guilty you'd get attached...

"When I was an actual child I used to hear pirates would throw boys overboard to placate sea gods," Ewan narrowed his eyes in mock suspicion. "I'll remind you I'm much too useful for that."

The murmur below began to die down. It was late now. And he was afraid to ask, "So, um, what sorts of accommodations do I get?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Chuckling, she looked him over quickly. "Well..." Isabeau mused after a few moments. "I suppose you could sleep in my cabin. On the floor." Her lips twitched. "Might keep the crew from tossing your little ass in the water to "appease the gods"."

Honestly, she was a little worried how well he'd fare if left to the crew- he had given one of them salamander skin, and pirates weren't exactly known for being a forgiving lot. They held grudges.

Whim

"Y-you would? I don't know what to say! And I guess I'd be sleeping on the floor of the cabin anway. No snoring drunks, though."

"Have you got a blanket for me?" he gave her a shy look as they went below deck. He wasn't sure if he was being earnest or putting on a show. Being cute and pathetic was as good as a woman showing skin, sometimes. Though it wasn't time to gloat. Superstitious pirates probably would toss his little ass overboard.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

"Take one off the bunk," Isabeau told him, moving about the cabin and unbuckling the belt that held her sheath and holster to her hips, then kicking off her boots with a relieved sort of sigh.

Whim

"So this is what being a pirate gets you, huh?" Ewan peered around the cabin. It was more plush than the rest of the ship. The boy recognized Essryni rugs, fine Serenian furniture, and oddly-shaped Thanati swords decorating the wall. Not to mention books.

He snatched a fur blanket and wrapped himself in it, settling into the far corner of the room. It seemed unobstrusive enough. The boy had meant to take one of Isabeau's books... but he was tired and ached all over. Without another word he curled into a fetal position, teetering between sleep and the waking world. "G'nigh..."

Despite the warm an odd chill came over Isabeau. The exhaustive cold of midwinter, where all there is to do is huddle beneath blankets and furs and dream...

(Hope I didn't take too many liberties with the cabin description!)

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

[It's all good!]

Smirking a bit and muttering, "Kids," Isabeau gave him a quick nod and lazily replied, "Night."

She waited until we seemed to be asleep before stripping down and getting into a nightshirt. Child he may currently be, but she still wasn't interested in changing in front of him.

Finally allowing herself to relax, she climbed into bed with a heavy sigh. It was already after midnight, and she'd have to be up at dawn with the rest of the crew.

Whim

Isabeau finds herself in a row boat. The water is calm, but a shroud of cold mist obscures her surroundings. She presses forward because its the only thing to do. But if she squints hard enough she can make out figures in the haze; they're male and female, frail and emaciated, old and young. They eye her with timid hunger, like an urchin boy uncertain if he's getting a handout or a beating.

A cold hand strokes her back. Another combs through her hair. A third grips her arm, this time it won't let go. Teeth rake over exposed shoulder. Another bites her forearm. It draws blood this time...

Ewan awoke at dawn in a tangle of blanket. He slept pretty well, all thing sconsidered. Across the cabin Isabeau was tossing and turning. The boy was tempted to wake the young captain. It seemed the right thing to do as the crew was stirring outside. But he wanted to sleep in, especially with the realization it was probably his job to clear the table last evening.

So instead he plucked a book on Yoreiqi gods from one of Isabeau's shelves. Ewan didn't know what sort of fur the blanket was made from. It was wonderfully soft.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Waking with a sharp gasp, Isabeau shot up, jerking the dagger from under her pillow and looking around wildly.

Nothing. No danger. "What the hell?" she groaned, letting the blade fall to the mattress and rubbing her temples. Must have been one hell of a dream.

It was only then she remembered that she had a guest and she glanced around again, finding Ewan curled up with a book. "Oi. Cabin boy. How long you been up?"