Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strange Happenings [Glob] [M]

Started by DragonSong, February 04, 2016, 08:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Both girls chuckled a bit at that. "I suppose we must have been," Starbright agreed with a small smile. She found herself blushing lightly at the compliment while Midnight grumbled about being called "nice".

Starbright laughed again at his suggestion of a hug. "Yes, maybe we would try it," she said.

I'm not a hugger.

Ignoring her sister, she tilted her head at the automaton. "Do you...speak from experience then? Are there more of you- siblings?"

DaGlobster

"Well, like I said, my creator built others. They looked like me, but they weren't... alive. They were still my siblings, however."

A few ticks.

"They're all gone, now. Rotted and rusted away, most definitely. I'm the only one left."

DragonSong

"Vel..."

She hesitated a moment, then crossed to him in a few soft steps and gently wrapped her arms around him. Midnight might not be much of a hugger, but Starbright certainly was. She couldn't help herself. "I'm sorry," she murmured, her healer's instinct wanting to soothe.

Hugging a machine was awkward, but she did her best, hoping the gesture wouldn't be poorly received. He did have a human soul, right? Hopefully that part of him would understand what she was trying to do.

DaGlobster

Vel, it seemed, understood the gesture very much, because he returned the hug without hesitation.

"Thank you, Starbright," Vel said, giving her hair a short stroke.

"I can feel it, you know. When you touch me."

DragonSong

She tilted her head back at that, startled. "You can?" Her eyes searched his large blue eye, perhaps looking for a glimpse of the face she'd seen before. Having mechanical arms around her was a little strange, but not exactly unpleasant- she wondered if that's how her hug felt to him.

DaGlobster

The face was there for her to see, and it gave her a sheepish smile back.

"I can," he confirmed.

"I can't smell or taste, though. I've always wondered what it felt like to have food..."

DragonSong

Starbright bit her lip. "Well, it's...not all it's cracked up to be," she said in a rather feeble attempt at a joke.

Midnight scoffed and muttered, Can we focus on the task at hand please?

Frowning slightly, Starbright stepped away from him and shook her head. "Midnight's getting impatient," she said apologetically by way of explanation.

DaGlobster

"Well, then let's not keep her waiting," Vel said, and stepped onto the disc.

"One more book, and I think we can get started."

DragonSong

"Right. Okay." She stepped onto the disc beside him and looked up at him curiously. "What's this one about?"

DaGlobster

"A necromancy tome," Vel said, and the disc started going down. He held up a finger.

"Now, before you judge, I'll have you know that necromancy tomes are the best resources for information on soul manipulation, which is precisely why I need one for this."

DragonSong

"I'm not judging," Starbright said quickly, though she had started a bit at the mention of necromancy. With a quick smile, she added, "You're the expert here."

Midnight snorted. I can't believe we're really doing this. It's not going to work, you know.

She shoved the other girl's negativity away with a small frown and a shake of her head. I don't know, and neither do you.

DaGlobster

"In all honesty, I just need the book for a single spell," Vel said, and the disc stopped again. There was indeed a whole section for books on necromancy and soul manipulation, but it was a sparser collection than the other categories.

""Cloth of Life: Weaving The Soul" is the book we're looking for," Vel said, and he turned away to search the shelves.

"So, do you and your sister share the same body, or does it shift when you switch? Of course, if you weren't twins, I wouldn't be asking you this. I'm just curious."

DragonSong

"It's...the same. We think," Starbright murmured as she began looking for the book. "I mean, if we're not careful- if we just keep switching back and forth so one of us can rest while the other controls our body- we can wear it out. So, I think it's the same." She shrugged, fingers pausing on a leather spine.

"This it?" She pulled the book out and turned to him, holding it out.

DaGlobster

Vel looked at the book, and picked it up from her hands.

"Mmm..."

He opened the book and flipped through it.

"Yes, this is the one. Shall we get started?" I just need to visit my storage to get some things. It's on the first floor."

DragonSong

A thrill of nervous energy ran through her and she nodded eagerly. "Yes, let's." Automatically she took his arm and moved toward the disc, then hesitated. "Ah- is this okay?" It was a rather familiar gesture for someone she'd really just met.

DaGlobster

"It's fine," Vel said, and he offered her his arm to take.

He walked back to the disc, and before long, they were on the first floor.

"Now, I need some time to prepare the reagents, and memorize the proper incantations, but you're welcome to stay while I get ready."

DragonSong

"Oh. Alright then." She bit her lip and shifted her weight awkwardly from foot to foot. "Is there...anything I can do to help?"

DaGlobster

"Well, you can help sift through these books," Vel said, and he sat down. The window flashed again to a view of several nebulas and galaxies.

DragonSong

"Whoa..." She'd never get used to that.

Tearing her gaze from the awe inspiring view, she settled herself beside him and picked a book at random. "What are we looking for?" she asked as she began to flip pages. "Something specific, or just anything that might be useful?"

DaGlobster

Vel handed Starbright the book on enchanted items.

"I need you to find two items. A clone mirror and an essence pearl."