Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Song of the Sea [Juno]

Started by DragonSong, March 22, 2016, 04:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Ash found herself smiling at him. "Yeah. That's what I've always thought, but Da- and just about everyone else- says spirit like it's a bad thing."

She moved back onto the beach with a small sigh. "I'd love to take you up on that offer to teach, but I should probably get back." Two nights in a row of sneaking out- she'd be lucky if she wasn't caught.

Juno

Yan spun with her, shuffling back onto the dry sand and shivering slightly with a chill as he lifted his chin to stare up at the dark blotches of the town. "There is no rush, it is just a good thing to know," he observed, bringing his attention back to her with a small smile.

"Will you come back here? Eventually? Or is this a final goodbye?" he asked, uncertain what she'd meant about "getting back".

DragonSong

"Oh." She smiled at him softly. "I want to come back. I'll try to come back. Maybe tomorrow night?" She glanced up at the bluff and bit her lip. "But...it might be longer."

Looking back to the dragon-man, Ash asked hopefully, "If it takes a little longer- will you still be here?"

Juno

His smile broadened and his eyes twinkled with an eager glint, pleased that she wanted to visit again after all. "I can be if that would be better. Call for me when you are ready, I will listen for you," he promised, feeling his heightened senses were obvious enough to her as he gestured along the beach, "wherever that may be."

DragonSong

Ash beamed at him. "Thank you," she said quietly as she took another step back toward the bluff. "I'll- I'll see you soon, Yan." She nodded and smiled at him again, lifting her hand in a small wave.

Juno

He mimicked her gesture, lifting his hand to wave her off as he remained where he stood. Remembering that she'd managed to leave something the previous night he briefly looked around to be sure the beach was clear of the human's belongings. Once he could no longer see her, though, he was content to return to his true form and slip back into the calm waves lapping at the shore.

Still he could not discern any unusual singing that stood out to him the way it had seemed to for her. Perhaps, he decided, Aishling was simply unaccustomed to the sounds of the sea.

Yan was content to remain close to the area he had met the curious human, patrolling along the coast after he spent a restful night at sea.

DragonSong

It took three days before Ashling managed to sneak away again, and it was well past midnight by the time her feet touched sand again.

She took a moment to simply breathe in the sea air, a smile spreading across her face. She simply enjoyed the moment for a while, then tripped her way down to the shore, lifting the hem of her nightgown and tying it so it laid shorter on her legs.

"Yan?" The call was quiet, hesitant. She let her toes touch the surf and shivered at the chill and the soft sound of singing voices. "Yan?" she tried again, a little louder. "Are- are you there?"

Juno

He had not been bothered when she did not come immediately. She had said it might take longer, so the dragon was content to wait as he'd agreed to though he never wandered very far.

Still alert for her voice in particular his attention was drawn to her spot on the beach at her first call, the dark beast zipping through the water as he rose up from the depths and south along the coast to approach her. Her voice was amplified with her second call and even though it didn't sound like there was much urgency behind it he quickened his pace as he swam beneath the surface. 'I am here,' he answered happily, hoping his mind's-voice could still reach her, 'I'm glad you've returned.'

Yan slowed just enough so he wouldn't cause a huge crash of waves but breached the surface eagerly once he was near enough to her spot in the shallows. He hurried closer, confident from their first meeting that he had no need to be subtle about the massiveness of his form as he hauled himself up into the foam and waves that curled around her.

He gave a happy snort as he craned his neck to get a better look at her. 'Tonight was a good one for being sneaky?' he guessed playfully.

DragonSong

Ash gave a startled yelp- she'd forgotten how big he was- then relaxed, her expression smoothing into a bright smile.

"You could say that," she laughed quietly, taking a few steps further into the surf to come closer to him. She looked from him out to the dark waves and back. "It's...really good to be back," she murmured.

Juno

'So you like the sea. The...beach,' he decided, watching her as she looked out beyond him into the darkness where the waves were mostly only visible by what twinkling moonlight reflected off of them.

'This is a good place,' he added contently in agreement. 'I am not surprised you are fond of it. Though it is a little odd, even for a human.' He gave a low, rumbling chuckle at that, turning himself around to look out at the water with her as he settled himself into the shallows.

'And...you are not in trouble, yes? Being out here?'

DragonSong

She wrinkled her nose at him for the light ribbing and smiled. Then she outright laughed. "No, I'm not. Not it I don't get caught, anyway."

Ash glanced front the dragon to the water and found herself bouncing excitedly in her heels. "So...did you mean it when you said you would teach me to swim?" she asked suddenly.

Juno

His hide shook and rippled and his eyes blew wide as he turned to stare at her again, slightly startled by the sudden sound of laughter though he hadn't wanted to admit to it. It was a pleasant sound, he decided. She sounded happy and he settled again soon enough.

'Yes...' The word came slowly, as if he'd still been pondering that very question. She looked excited, though, and he relaxed as he realized her question was not a challenge but simply an eagerness to see him make good on his promise.

'If you would like to learn,' he added cheerily, trying his best to show the smile in his eyes that he couldn't exactly show with a mouth full of sharp teeth.

'Do not be discouraged if it takes more than a day to feel...comfortable, though. These things take time but you can learn,' Yan warned her gently, hoping she would not be disappointed if it took even a few more than that.

DragonSong

Ash tried to force herself to calm down a bit and nodded, though she was still smiling rather widely. "That's okay. Nothing is easy at first, takes practice, right?"

She edged a little closer to the water until the surf was lapping at her toes. A little shiver ran through her- the water was quite cold. "Okay. Um...I suppose I have to actually get in, huh?"

Juno

Her enthusiasm was quite infectious and Yan found himself rumbling happily at the innocence of her question. 'When you're ready,' he told her calmly, turning himself to place his tail before her to try to lure her into deeper water. 'You can hold onto me, but use your legs to move. Like walking but...sideways.'

Yan suddenly felt a little bashful, realizing he wasn't quite explaining things how she might need him to. 'If you're about to go under at any point just hold your breath. Let yourself float up and don't panic. I'd get you before you drown,' he tried to assure her.

DragonSong

She snorted. "Oh, well that's comforting," she grumbled as she edged cautiously yet her out into the water.

But...it sort of was. At any rate, her chances of drowning had to be less with a dragon around, right? He could pluck her out of the water easy as winking.

She hoped.

Shaking her thoughts away, Ash carefully waded out until the water was at her chest. She clutched at Yan's tail for support and threw his a slightly sheepish look as she did. "Um. Okay. I- I think I get the theory, but I'm a having a little trouble putting it into practice, she mumbled after a moment."

It didn't strike her as odd that though she could feel the chill of the water it didn't bother her unduly.

Juno

Yan watched her closely, breathing a heavy sigh of relief that she didn't immediately panic or go under. 'It takes practice,' he assured her calmly. 'Just spend some time with me. Get comfortable in the water, then we'll worry about the hows.'

Gently pushing off from the sand the dragon paddled his way out into slightly deep waters, careful to take things slow in case she needed him to turn back. 'Let the water carry you,' he instructed gently, tail kept high along the surface as he bowed his head to keep an eye on her. He was thankful for the mostly gentle rocking of the waves around them but hoped she wasn't bothered by them too much.

DragonSong

Warily, Ash allowed her body to go almost completely vertical in the water and took a few cautious strokes away from the dragon. She was clumsy, but at least she kept herself afloat.

"Okay..." She smiled slowly and sort of dog-paddled back to him. "Okay, I think I'm getting the hang of this-"

Suddenly something clicked. Her eyes widened slightly at the strange feeling of everything just...falling into place. She took a breath and let her head slip under the water, easily stroking around to the dragon's front to pop back up again.

A bright, clear laugh bubbled out of her. "Oh my gods!" She flipped back into the water, splashing delightedly. "How have I never done this before?"

Juno

His eyes widened considerably as he watched her paddle around without his support but he tensed in concern as she went under without any warning.

'Aishling?' he asked with concern, dipping his tail beneath the water as a means to throw her something to hold onto if she needed it. As soon as he had, though, she surfaced looking cheerful as ever. He relaxed, surprised she'd managed it on her own but glad it had not ended in disaster.

'Does that mean you like it?' he teased gently, relieved by her obvious joy. Then, skeptical about her seemingly natural ability asked, 'Are you sure you've never done this before? Humans are usually a little more...fearful of new things.'

DragonSong

Still beaming, she shook her head. "Nope," she chirped happily. "First time. I dunno, it just feels- right. Easy."

Ash tilted her head back to better see his face and drifted a little closer, reaching out to pat a scaly shoulder. "Thank you," she said, eyes softening a bit. "I don't think I would have done this on my own."

Juno

The young dragon rumbled happily, pleased that he'd made her happy anyway. It was good to see her smile. 'Maybe eventually. I never would have guessed you for a fish,' he teased, lowering his head to bump his nose against her cheek affectionately.

He tilted his head up, though, casting a look towards the way he understood her town to be. 'Seems natural, though. I would guess your people are a little more...water-inclined than most humans. Living so close and all, ' he pointed out, having no idea how true that might be.

'You're not cold, are you?' he wondered, studying her curiously with a bit of concern as his eyes lingered on her long hair trailing in the water.