Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Song of the Sea [Juno]

Started by DragonSong, March 22, 2016, 04:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Oh!" Ash winced guiltily even as she climbed onto his back. "I'm sorry, I just- this is so-" She just felt like they needed to move. They were getting closer, she just knew it. If they could really find her mother...

"I'll make sure we take a proper rest soon, I promise," she murmured, leaning low over the dragon's neck and patting him gently.

Nearly a week passed, swimming from one island to another, sleeping on cold rock, surrounded by the sea and the wind.

And strangely, Aishling loved every moment of it. Yes, it was cold, and she was tired, and dressed in nothing but a very ratty, very damp nightgown, but being out on the sea, traveling with the selkies, with Yan...it was wonderful.

Braiga, the selkie girl who'd first spoken to them, had stopped them at a crescent shape stone far out to sea, further north than Ash thought most human settlements stretched. She shrugged out of her coat and waved airily in a westward direction.

"The islands are there," she told girl and dragon. "Just out there, see? The chain looks like a spiral, the largest island in the center. If you are lucky, your mother will be there. Or someone who knows her."

Juno

Every day of their journey Yan wished they'd had time to better prepare before they'd left Ash's human home behind. There was never enough shelter through their island-hopping, but he did his best to shield her from the elements. Blessedly it didn't take them nearly as long as he'd thought it would before their selkie guide was stopping to show them their destination.

Yan perked up, lifting his head high to peer out at the humps of land in the distance against the horizon. He tilted his head to eye his passenger, uncertain if she was ready for the final stretch. 'Would you like me to fly us there? We could be there by nightfall,' he offered.

DragonSong

Ash, worrying at her lower lip, started slightly and glanced up at him with big eyes. "Um...yes?" She cleared her throat and rubbed at her arms absently. "I mean- if you're up for it. Are you? I don't wanna push you..."

Juno

Fortunately his natural dragon form made it easy to hide the grimace that surely would have been there had he been showing his human avatar. Ash was painfully perceptive and he didn't want her to worry over him. It wouldn't have been pushing himself exactly, but he was very tired and would be due for a very long nap once he could afford to take it. Until then getting her to her destination and seeing to her needs was his priority. She was more vulnerable to the elements after all.

'I want to help you find what you're looking for,' he told her honestly, trying not to let his fatigue worm its way into his tone. He climbed up to the stone to spread his wings, gently shaking off what water still clung to his scales. He lifted himself up into the air with a few strong flaps of his wings to hover just barely above the surface, hoping that would be enough to keep her from changing her mind.

The young dragon lowered his head to gently butt his muzzle against Braiga's shoulder in thanks and farewell, eyeing her with gratitude he wasn't sure he could express properly. 'Thank you for helping her. If there is anything you need my help with in return I am never far from these waters.'

DragonSong

Braiga nodded as she slipped into the water with a happy, chirping bark.

Ash smiled and waved at the selkie, calling another, "Thank you!" as she disappeared into a dark black shape beneath the swell. Her attention quickly turned back to Yan, the concerned frown back on her brow.

"Are you absolutely sure about this?" she pressed as she shuffled forward to climb onto his back. Every instinct wanted her to get to that island as soon as possible, but she didn't want to push her friend too far.

Juno

'We've come this far, haven't we? We should go and see what we can find. I can rest later if you're that worried about me,' he reminded her playfully. With a few more flaps of his wings Yan lifted them higher until he reached a current to glide upon, his head lowered to peer down at the fast-approaching land of the outer islands. They seemed uninhabited at first look, but he wasn't concerned about that as he turned his eyes on the larger main island ahead.

His wings strained on a sharp updraft, flapping furiously to keep pushing onward. He worried for Ash in the cold so far north, though, and was soon bringing them into a slow descent towards the bank of the center island.

The rocks were cold even for him once he touched back down to earth again, and he was silently cursing the lack of trees for cover from the wind. As a whole it seemed habitable, though, with sturdy grasses stretching out against the rocky ground all around them and several caves carved out against the weathered hillside. The visible seabirds scattered around gave him hope that fishing would be good enough nearby to sustain them while they were there.

He tilted his head to the side to look back at his passenger, eyes filled with concern over how she'd fared. 'Still in one piece?'

DragonSong

Ash was shivering violently as they touched down, but she hardly seemed to notice. A chill had set into her bones but she didn't care, sliding down off Yan's back and stumbling a bit as her feet touched rock.

"I'm f-f-fine." She leaned against his side, then cursed and ducked in between his front legs in an attempt to shield herself from the wind. She looked around curiously. "S-see anything?"

Juno

The young dragon watched with wide eyes as she tried to stand out on her own, concerned it was far too cold for her. Her shivering made that apparent and he stretched his tired wings forward to shield her from the wind as she tucked herself against him.

He snorted his displeasure, craning his neck to lift her by the collar of her nightgown and place her back over his shoulders again. 'There are caves ahead. You need shelter. Stay low, please?' Yan hardly waited for a response, though, stepping out towards the hill to carry her to safety and once again cursing their lack of proper planning for her escape to the sea. She was still partially human and seemed just as susceptible to the harsh winds as the rest of her kin despite her comfort at sea.

Once he'd chosen a cave and decided it looked empty of any animal inhabitants he turned to put his side to the entrance to shield her from what wind might sweep inside. 'The back will probably be warmest. I'll find some driftwood for you and get a fire going.'

Yan studied her thin garment, glaring at it for all the trouble it had caused for its very existence. 'I should return to human lands, find you warmer clothes,' he commented, lowering his muzzle to nudge at her arm in concern.

DragonSong

The half-selkie squeaked in a less than dignified manner as she was lifted like a kitten and deposited on her friend's back, but she hunkered down and wrapped her arms around his neck easily enough. "You d-d-don't need to b-b-b-baby me," she protested weakly as he ushered her to the cave.

When he suggested returning to the mainland her eyes widened and she suddenly whirled and threw her arms around his muzzle in the best approximation of a hug she could manage in their current forms. "D-don't leave me." Eyes wide, she pressed her brow to his, her shaking beginning to die down as she was out of the wind. "I c-can't do th-this alone..."

Juno

Her sudden clinginess startled him but he watched her with warm eyes, feeling a little bad that he had worried her so. Gently, Yan pressed his head against her, returning the affection as much as possible without human arms.

'I wouldn't ask you to do this alone, but I'm worried for your health,' he admitted, huffing softly and nuzzling against her. 'You would be sad if I left you here? And you stayed right here in this cave? It might only take a day or so now that I know where this place is.'

DragonSong

"Are- are you sure?" She clenched her jaw to prevent her teeth from chattering. She tightened her arms around him for a moment, then backed away with a sigh.

"Alright." She forced a smile. "Hurry back, okay?"

She really didn't want to be left alone, but honestly...she needed some real clothes, and maybe some food that wasn't fish- and she didn't actually see any other way to manage that.

Juno

Yan puffed a warm breath at her, his eyes twinkling with relief at her semi-blessing as he stepped closer to fill the space she'd created and bump his nose at her shoulder. 'I'll get you settled here first and leave tonight once you're asleep, unless you're desperate to chase me off already,' he teased her, voice vibrating with a barely-controlled laughter at the idea.

Taking a step back again, he gestured with his head over his shoulder and announced in a more serious tone, 'I'll get wood for the fire first, stay here please... Don't wander.'

DragonSong

Ash rolled her eyes, but she smiled at him, stroking his muzzle when he bumped her shoulder. "Yeah, y-yeah. I'll stay right here." Her shivering was dying down at least, which was a relief.

She backed up a little further into the cave, still rubbing at her arms and legs as she crouched down, trying to keep herself warm. Out of the wind was certainly an improvement, but it was still pretty damn cold.

Juno

Yan left the cave, heading back towards the shoreline with determination. He scavenged up plenty of driftwood to keep a fire going at least through the night and morning, bringing it back to deposit at the mouth of the cave. He returned to the shallows, snatching some extra pieces that were trapped against the slope of the island's shelf. They would need to dry, but he was certain the wind was capable of doing the job for Ash. It gave him peace of mind, at least, to know she would have extra without venturing out into the cold on her own.

He left the soaked pieces just outside the cave and shook off the water clinging to his hide before he entered again, pushing the dry wood along with him as he approached Ash. Taking half of it he carefully stacked it for her in a pile that ended up being quite clumsy and uneven, letting loose a small stream of fire to bathe it in.

It was a relief to hear the distinctive sizzle and pop as the fire took, his eyes sparkling with pride as he lifted his head to her. 'I probably got too much...but hopefully it will keep you warm. Are you hungry?'

DragonSong

Ash smiled as he lit the haphazard stack of driftwood and edged forward to bask in the warmth. "No, I'm alright," she said quickly-- she didn't want him to have to do anything else for her, and a few more hours without food certainly wouldn't kill her.

"Just...be careful out there. And hurry back, okay?" she smiled up at him again.

Juno

The dragon nodded, watching her quietly for a moment to observe her by the fire. He hoped it really was enough, he worried it wouldn't be once the cold of night settled in around her shelter.

He padded closer, leaning down to press his head against her chest in farewell. 'Hopefully by morning, but don't worry about me. Stay warm, feed the fire before it dies,' he warned her gently, lifting his head to nose at her cheek before he turned to leave.

It would be better to just go and get what she needed, flying would be faster now that he knew where she was and didn't need the guidance of the selkies. Once outside again he launched himself into the air, quickly gaining altitude and speed as he rushed off back towards the mainland where he could skim the shoreline for a human town or village.

DragonSong

Aishling nodded, smiling softly again and turning her head to press a quick, grateful kiss to his scaly snout.

She watched him fly off and her smile dropped slightly, eyes drifting down to focus on the flames in front of her. She sighed quietly and pulled her knees up to her chest, letting her chin rest on them as she watched the fire pop and leap.

Juno

Well into the dark of night Yan finally spotted the disruptive shapes along the horizon he knew to be human houses with the occasional, blurry hearth fire peeking through a window. He'd landed a fair distance off near the shore and their anchored boats, assuming his human form to approach in case he was spotted lurking around in the night.

The town seemed asleep save for a few cats wandering the outskirts, but they paid him no mind. Yan hunted for the houses with laundry out to dry from the night winds, plucking a few articles of women's clothing from each as well as a few vegetables from the gardens he could find. He felt terrible for stealing, but he didn't think he could afford to wait until morning to barter with only fish and pretty shells to a town of fishermen.

Once he'd made it back a safe distance he bundled everything together in a stolen blanket so he could easily carry it. Shifting back to his natural form he plucked it from the sands and hurried back towards the island he'd left Ash at.

With his task done and behind him his thoughts increasingly centered on her, hoping she was safe and hadn't wandered off. A tugging ache was building in his chest, becoming more intense even as he caught sight of the island at first light. 'Aishling?' he reached out to her, uncertain if she might have been awake or if he was near enough for her to hear.

He beat his wings harder, pushing himself faster through the sky and into a dive where he managed to land near the mouth of the cave in a stumbling, three-legged mess to keep his precious bundle for her safe and unmarred.

DragonSong

Shivering, even with the warmth of the dying flames, Ash snapped her head up as she felt Yan approaching. His voice in her mind was like a comforting arm wrapped around her shoulders and she scrambled to her feet.

"Yan!"

She didn't even really know why she was so happy to see him, she just was. Beaming and shivering, she raced to the mouth of the cave and threw herself forward to wrap her arms as far around his scaly neck as she could manage, nuzzling her face against him.

Juno

He breathed a heavy sigh of relief to see she was still alive and well, though the shaking of her body concerned him. Yan bowed his head, tucking it over her shoulder to hug her as best as he could in his natural form.

'I'm sorry that took all night,' he apologized gently, doing his best to gently nudge and corral her deeper into the cave back towards her fire. The realization of what he'd been feeling struck his chest like lightning, though, and he paused to just squeeze her close all over again, 'I missed you...a lot.'

Tags: