Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sheep in Wolf's Clothing

Started by DragonSong, May 02, 2016, 10:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

With an irritated huff and a flick of her tail to act almost as a rudder, Ally craned her neck back to give him a brief, narrow eyed look and banked west.

"Actually, that's part of the problem," she muttered, almost more to herself than him. "Just- hold on and try not to wiggle too much. I'm not gonna drop you, but if you fall I can't guarantee I'll catch you."

Hm. Maaaaybe she should've mentioned that before they got in the air. Ah well.

Fukurou

"Wait, WHAT?!" Zaryn's eyes widened and a look of panic colored his face. Ally's warning to keep still practically did the opposite as Zaryn squirmed to look down at the ground below him. He had never been afraid of heights, but he was suddenly feeling quite queasy at the moment. "What the hell do you mean?! Do you know what your doing?!"

DragonSong

"H-hey- keep still!" Ally flapped frantically to right herself as his squirming threw her off balance. "Of course I know what I'm doing, just- just hang on, alright?" she snapped. She was rather hoping a "fake it 'til you make it" mentality might pay off.

Luckily, the ruins weren't far at all by air. It was only a matter of minutes until she was looking for a place to land.

Unluckily, her landings were even shakier than her takeoffs. And it wasn't easy to find a clear space among the dense foliage of the jungle. "Um...hold onto something, okay?" She took a breath and banked into a dive.

Fukurou

"Hang on to what?!"

The two of the plummeted to the ground, crashing into branches and twigs on the way. As Ally jerked to a stop, Zaryn was sent flying backwards and into a bush, landing with a dull -thud.-

"Uuug.." Zaryn heaved himself out of the bush, rubbing his sore, bruised back. "Ally..." He eyed the dragon. "Can you explain this whole situation to me just a little bit better? Pretty please?"

DragonSong

Ally winced as she stumbled into her landing, flapping her wings wildly to try to keep her footing. She twisted around to look at him and blinked, then coughed awkwardly.

"What, uh- what do you mean?" she asked far too innocently. "Oh, um, here." Her head snaked forward and she nudged her nose up under his arm to help him to his feet.

Fukurou

Zaryn leaned on Ally's nose as he heaved himself up.

Ugh, what a rough landing.

His back popped as he stretched his torso around. Lucky for him they weren't too far from the ground when he fell and at the most he'll have a bruised back for a couple of days.

"You said..." He sighed, a look of irritation and defeat coloring his face. "Never mind. Shall we get going?"

DragonSong

The dragoness heaved a quiet sigh of relief that he wasn't going to pursue it and nodded. "Right. It's just this way." She twisted around and started shouldering her way through the trees.

The ruins were so overgrown they almost seemed to just suddenly appear around them. One moment there was nothing but jungle, the next Ally's claws were clicking against stone and she drew up short, looking around.

"Here." She jerked her head toward a smallish stone pyramid that rose from the foliage, it's crumbling peak brushing the canopy. "It's inside that temple." The entrance had fallen into enough disrepair that it was more a gaping hole in the side of the pyramid than anything else, large enough even for a dragon to fit through.

Fukurou

"Alright," Zaryn clapped his hands and sauntered towards the ruins. "Let's get this show on the road, shall we."

He walked up to the entrance and peered into the dark cavern, examining the contents. "Oh, can you describe what I'm looking for? 'Cause I have no idea myself."

DragonSong

"It's down this hall." Ally squeezed herself through the entrance and nodded down a rather dilapidated passage. "I could only fit about halfway, but there should be a set of stairs at the end. Follow those down, and you'll come into a circular chamber. You're looking for symbols- one massive one carved into the floor and six others circling the walls."

She twisted her head and lifted a paw to root through her bag, then came up with her own journal and passed it over carefully. "I need you to copy them down as precisely as you can onto the first few blank pages in here. Please?"

Fukurou

Zaryn grabbed the notebook from the dragoness' claws and gave her a salute. "I'll do my best!" He looked around the room, grabbed a torch from the wall and lit it with the flint and steel he had in his traveler's pack. Zaryn ducked into the decrepit hallway and slowly made his way down, scanning the walls, ceiling, and floor for any signs of trap. As he made his way, it felt as though the hall was getting smaller and smaller; the walls were crumbled, the floor was uneven, and and the ceiling had caved in at parts. Finally, Zaryn came across the stairs. He peered down into the depths of the chamber below. With his torch, he could only see a few feet in front of him before the darkness swallowed everything. He sighed and gingerly made his way down the crumbling staircase. The bottom of the stairs opened up into a large, circular chamber which contained seven symbols: one on the floor and six on the wall, just as Ally had described.

"Well, time to get to drawing," Zaryn said to himself as he set the torch on the ground by the large symbol and flipped open the notebook. He did the best he could to replicate all of the details in each symbol, but whether or not it was sufficient enough, he couldn't tell. Upon completing the last sketch he examined his work once more, retrieved the torch and made for the stairs, crossing over the large carving in the ground.

-Thunk! Hisss!- Zaryn spun around. A hulking corpse with glowing blue eyes stumbled out of a trap door on the far end of the cavern. -Thunk! Hisss!- -Thunk! Hisss!- A second appeared to his left followed by a third to his right. They were all brandishing rusty weapons and were clad in aged armor. In one swift motion, Zaryn place the torch and notebook by his feet and drew his two scimitars. He dove behind the first corpse as it swung its rusty sword at Zaryn. One well-aimed slash across its spinal column sent it crumbling to the ground. Zaryn spun around and grabbed the second corpse, using it a shield to block the swinging ax of the third's. The second corpse fell heavily to ground as the ax made contact with its skull. It only took a second for the third to swing its ax at Zaryn, making contact with his arm as he attempted to dodge it. Zaryn clutched his wound as blood trickled down his arm. He lunged forward, slicing the neck of the third corpse.

Zaryn cursed under his breath as he scooped up his belongings and made his way back to the dragoness.

"I got your sketched right here, sweetheart," he said, as he exited the hall. He gave her a cheeky smile a small wink as he handed over the book. It had a few drops of blood on it, but was otherwise clean.

DragonSong

If she'd had room to pace she would have, but as it was Ally was stuck with twitching her tail back and forth and tossing worried glances down the hall every so often as she waited.

Suddenly she heard strange noise echoing out of the dark. Her lip curled back in an instinctive snarl and she felt heat building in her chest as her boy prepared to flame, wings shuffling. It seemed her dragon's fight or flight reflex was quite literal.

Thankfully, Zaryn emerged soon after and she huffed a small sigh of relief.

"You didn't run into any trouble, did you? I thought I heard something-" Ally froze with her claws pinching delicately around the journal. Her nostrils flared. "You're bleeding." She ducked her head and sniffed at him, then gave a small growl of frustration. "C'mon, let's get out int he open so I can take a look at you. What happened?"

Fukurou

"Oh this?" Zaryn examined his booody arm. "I was a bit sloppy with with my footwork and got a little nicked. No big deal."

As the two of them walked outside, Zaryn summarized the events that took place in the chamber.

"Took me by suprise," he said as held out his arm. The cut wasn't too deep, but it had started to swell and look raw. "Damn, already?"

DragonSong

Ally tutted as she vent her head to examine the wound. "Here, hold on a moment."

She twisted around to root through her pack, emerging after a few moments with a small vial filled with a greenish sort of paste clamped delicately between her teeth. She held it out to him, speaking around it with some effort.

"Thi' should stah infe'tion. Rub ih on da wound." She furrowed her brow at how ridiculous she coiled and snorted a small jet of smoke.

Fukurou

"Thanks." Zaryn took the vial and poured a bit of paste ok his fingers. "Damn rusty iron weapons..." He winced and cursed under his breath as he rubbed the paste into his wound. "So, what now?"

DragonSong

The dragon laid er normal on the ground and carefully flipped to the pages bed drawn on. "Now," she murmured, "I need to figure out how these work..."

She hunched over the little book, the tip of her tail twitching back and forth as he eyes scanned the pages.

Fukurou

"Great." Zaryn sat with his back to the tree and stretched his arms. "Let me know if you need any more help." He yawned and closed his eyes.

DragonSong

Ally sort of grunted in acknowledgement, but she was worlds away, combining the symbols in her head in a variety of ways, trying to figure out what might actually work.

Fukurou

Zaryn peeked one eye open and watched as Ally studied away in her notebook.

What an odd dragon... he thought to himself. What does she want with those symboles anyway?

He watched her for a little while longer before nodding to sleep, snoring quite loudly.

DragonSong

As he slept, Ally seemed to come to a sudden realization. She gave a small noise of satisfaction and suddenly burst into movement, clearing a large swatch of land with her tail before starting to draw symbols with her claws. She worked with a fevered quickness, eyes alight with some combination of excitement, curiosity, and something like hope.

She almost seemed to forget Zaryn was there as she stood in the center of the circle she'd created, the symbol from the floor of the chamber under her front paws and the other six linked together around it.

"Okay," she breathed, closing her eyes and focusing. A pinkish-lavender light started up around her paws, then spread over her whole body. Her scales started to itch and tingle and her breath hitched. Was it actually working this time-?

CRACK!

The energy gathered in the air around her snapped and Ally gave a sharp, high cry as she collapsed to her side.

A very human cry. Unconscious but returned to her original body, Alleaya lay collapsed inside her alchemic circle, panting, skin flushed and hair tossed about her from the small explosion.

Fukurou

With the loud crack, Zaryn was startled awake. He looked around the clearing in search of the source of the noise.

Where the hell is that dragon?

Zaryn looked towards the ground. Where the dragon once was there was now a human girl.

"Oh shit!" Zaryn heaved himself up and scrambled to the woman. "Hey lady, you alright?" He shook her gently. She was still breathing but appeared to be out cold. Zaryn scrambled back to his pack and retrieved his water flask. He scooped her into his arms and started splashing cold water onto her face. "Hey sweetheart. You hear me? Wake up!"