Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Why is the Rum Always Gone? [M]

Started by DragonSong, May 06, 2016, 10:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Isabeau suddenly jerked awake, Gar's voice reminding her of where she was. "Shit." She looked around, eyes wide and hair a tangled mess beneath her bandanna. "Did anyone see—?"

She tried to scramble out of the hammock and wound up falling back into the dip of it, the curve of the man's body.

DaGlobster

"Hell if I know," he murmured. When she fell back into his lap, he was momentarily tempted to grasp her hips from behind and give the back of her neck a kiss. Instead of that, he decided to help her, which basically meant lifting her up and off of him and helping her steady when she was on her feet.

"I've been a rock for the past couple hours."

He then dismounted the hammock and stretched out a bit.

DragonSong

She flushed a bit at needing the help, straightening her tunic and brushing her hair back out of her face.

"Yeah, um, sorry. I only meant to check on you when I was comin' down last night, but I was real tired and it was just comfortable and--" She cut herself off, clearing her throat, and glanced away. "Won't make a habit of it," she assured with a slightly forced little chuckle.

DaGlobster

Part of him was dissappointed to hear those words but he knew what she meant. That had been a risk indeed.

But still, he smirked at her, and after affirming to himself that they were in fact alone, he gave her a spank.

"Go on, then. You've been missin' for a bit."

DragonSong

Isabeau yelped quietly and swatted at his hand with a mock scowl. She was prepared to snip something back at him— but something in his eyes, or behind them, held her attention.

"Hey, Gar?" She hesitated, then reached up to grab his shoulder and leaned in, planting a quick, slightly awkward kiss on his cheek. "We should make port before the day's out. Why don't we...take a few days' shore leave?"

DaGlobster

His eyes narrowed knowingly for a moment, before he grinned and gave her a nod.

"As if I'd say no to an offer like that," he said. He started walking back up to the decks, motioning for her to follow.

"What port are we set to hit? It's been a solid bit since we've made port in these waters."

DragonSong

She blinked, then smiled as she followed after him, having to take two paces for every one of his.

Right, she hadn't told him. In all the bustle of the last few weeks, she'd entirely forgotten that she was actually trying to keep it a surprise.

"Well, I think you'll recognize it soon enough," she said blithely as they stepped out on deck.

The sun had just barely risen above the water line at the horizon, turning the sea gold and pink in certain places, and she sighed quietly as she braced her hands against the deck rail and leaned out over the edge, into the salty spray and wind.

The Storm was approaching land fast-- a tiny spit of an island about half a day's sail from the main Yoreiqi chain, barely big enough for one tiny village.

The village where the previous captain of the ship she now commanded had retired.

Isabea glanced up at her first mate with a slightly crooked smile. "Been a while since we've seen my old da, hasn't it?"

DaGlobster

The surprised dawned on him even as she spoke, eyes widening as he took sight of the island. He leaned on the railing as well, the wood creaking under his weight as he took his eyes off to gaze down into the water. Surprise was an uncommon look for him, as he was rarely ever phased.

Then, he laughed.

"By the Mountain Mother, I don't know if I can look'im in the eye," he said. There was something else in his expression, however. He remembered the last time he saw this view. Izzy was a child and he had less gray his beard. It was the day her father had retired.

"I jus' hope I have my scalp after this."

DragonSong

The captain winced dramatically and rubbed at the back of her neck with a little chuckle. “Yeeeeeeaahhh...perhaps we’d best keep some of the more, ah, personal recent developments to ourselves for a while?”

Her smile was a bit sheepish, which was about as odd a look on her as surprise was on him.

She didn’t have time to linger on it though, because then Crav was calling, “Land ho!”— as if they all couldn’t already see it— and the Storm was suddenly approaching port almost more quickly than she could keep up with.

The crew had to be taken stock of, and informed that they’d have five days’ shore leave on the island. A few of them grumped about there being nothing to do on the tiny speck of sand, but most just seemed relieved that they’d gotten through the voyage without any casualties.

That done, she had to take stock of her ship, take note of what had been damaged and what they could afford to fix.

A man, lanky and graying, turned up at the docks as the conspicuously flagless ship pulled into port, and just hung back watching the bustle with a wistful sort of smile. A stranger to most of the crew, the younger set, but a welcome and familiar face to the rare few who’d served under him.

“Cap’n.” Crab nodded to him as he came down the gangplank, a pack over his shoulder.

Abraham chucked. “Not anymore.” Grey eyes lit on a familiar face and he raised a hand in greeting. “Hoy there, sailor! Thought ogres were mountain folk— what’s a big brute like you doing on the deck of a ship?” he called, lips curved up in a lopsided grin.

DaGlobster

Gar smirked a bit at her sheepishness. There was a moment of quiet, then, as the boat gently rocked towards port. When the cry of "Land-Ho!" was sounded off, Gar knew he had plenty of hoisting to do. He gave Isabeau a knowing look, and straightened up off of the rail.

"It'll be good to see the old man again." he said, and stomped off to perform his duties.

Coming into port was easy enough. The dock was small, simple, and there were no port authorities. Gar was tying down a guide rope to the rigging when Abraham's voice rang out down from the dock. He laughed, and tied down the rope.

"You'd be right about that, Abe!" Gar started, and he began to step down the gangplank.

"It took some schmarmy words from a slick lowlander with a boat to coax me down from the peaks. Then after all that work, he went and took off."

He sighed, and held his hand out to greet him.

"How's the land life been treatin' ya, old friend?"

DragonSong

Abe gripped the much taller man's forearm, smiling a little wistfully. "Aye, y'know. It's...nice. Peaceful-like." His smile turned playful as he released Gar. "And you? Takin' care of my girl, are ya?"

"Is that me, or The Storm?" Isabeau asked with a grin as she slipped easily down the gangplank.

Her father beamed and wrapped her up in a tight hug the moment she was within arm's reach, spinning her around and making her squeak. "Izzie! Gods, lass, you're thin as a rail! Have you been eating?"

The captain rolled her eyes as he set her down, brushing down her shirt. "I'm fine, Da."

DaGlobster

Gar watched with a genuine smile as Abe and Izzie reunited.

"Don'tcha worry there, Abe. Both o' yer girls're safe, as always."

He put a hand on Isabeau's shoulder and gave her a pat, before he turned about.

"I'll get our packs, Izzie. You two just sit tight a moment."

And with that, Gar turned to go retrieve his and Isabeau's personal things. He knew they'd be spending the night at Abe's, and not on The Storm.

DragonSong

"Thanks, big guy." Izzie grinned at him as her father chuckled.

"Awfully presumptuous of you, Gar. Who says I'm gonna let ya stay with me?" Abe called after the ogre. His daughter rolled her eyes and elbowed him gently.  The ex-captain chuckled and ruffled her hair, making her pout.

"Gods. You look more like your mother every time I see you," he said suddenly, eyes softening. Izzie blinked, a little taken aback.

"Oh, um...really?" She coughed, glancing away. "Honestly, I-- I have trouble remembering what she looked like nowadays..."

DaGlobster

Gar laughed as he stepped back up onto the ship.

"Who's gonna stop me? I haven't slept on a real bed in months!" he called back.

He returned a few minutes later, missing the conversation between Isabeau and her father as he lugged Izzy's belongings and his own up to the pair of them.

"Alright, this is all of it. Lead the way, Cap'n." Gar said, speaking to neither of them in particular.

DragonSong

Abraham's expression was unreadable as the ogre approached, though for a moment Izzie could have sworn she saw a flash of deep grief behind his eyes.

Heart clenching guiltily, she put on a quick smile and nodded to Gar. "Thanks, mate. I can take some of that." She reaches for a pack as her father chuckled and turned to head inland, waving for them to follow.

DaGlobster

Gar, oblivous to Abraham's inner struggle, followed along at Izzy's side, glancing around as they made their way inland.

"Gods, what's it been... a couple a' years since we last stopped here?" Gar said, looking at Abe's way.

"It's nice to be back..."

DragonSong

"Aye, it's been a while." Abraham clapped a hand on his old first mate's shoulder, having to reach up quite a bit to do so. "And howve ya been, lad? Izzie's has command for just over a year now, how're things settling?"

Isabeau rolled her eyes and resisted the urge to point out peevishly that he could have simply asked her, since she was standing right there.

DaGlobster

"Well," Gar started, glancing down to Izzy with a smirk.

"She's got the ship nice and buttoned down. The Crew runs smooth and we've been hitting those fat merchant ships almost twice a month now."

He chuckled.

"Reminds me of our old heydays."

DragonSong

"Are ya now?" Abe grinned and ruffled his daughter hair, which she responded to with a pout as she tried to smooth the curly mess back under her bandana. Her father suddenly seemed thoughtful, going quiet.

"Mayhaps ive got sommat for ya back at the house," he said cryptically. Isabeau perked up a bit, glancing sidelining at Gar.

DaGlobster

When he caught her glance, he just offered a mild shrug. He didn't have the faintest idea of what Abe was talking about, but the last time he gave her a gift was a ship and himself. The possibilities genuinely intrigued him.

Instead, Gar grinned and put a hand on Abe's shoulder, giving him a stiff pat.

"I hope it's a good drink," he said.