Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Please, Tell Another Tale...

Started by DragonSong, March 23, 2018, 07:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

As they neared the entrance to the tunnel, Krysta reached back to take Maldwyn's hand and pulled him with her out into the dusky light, glancing around the gardens quickly before she started darting back toward the castle.

"This way, we can slip in through the lower kitchens," she murmured.

quaggan

Maldwyn nodded, quietly impressed with the level of forethought that went into planning this trip. He had questions, but rather than ask immediately, without any forethought, he listened. His only answer was the whisper of the wind. There was no one around to overhear them, it should be safe to speak.

"How should we handle the servants there?
Won't our appearance be a surprise?
Or shall we move quietly as spies?
To sneak through kitchens I am prepared"

DragonSong

"Oh, no need." The princess shot him a quick smile as she fluttered down the winding garden paths. "The kitchen staff know me well enough by now, they're used to it."

quaggan

The minstrel nodded, acknowledging her words. It surely sounded useful, not having to sneak around and hide from people in at least one part of the castle. He wondered if the servants there knew that the princess was disobeying their parents and still took the risk to help her, or if she gave them a different reason. If it was the former, it meant she inspired impressive loyalty, at least greater than the royal couple did. If it was the latter, then she was quite clever.

He followed her into the kitchen, content to let her show him the way.

DragonSong

As they slipped back into the palace, Krysta took a quick look around before snatching something that looked like a pastry off a kitchen counter.

No sooner had she touched it when a voice snapped out, "And just what do you think you're doin?"

quaggan

Maldwyn entered the kitchen, relaxing slightly at the concept of not having to sneak around. He was a minstrel, not a thief - his role was to make sound, not serve silence. The sight and smell of food did make him a bit hungry - they were in the royal kitchens after all - but he would not steal from his Queen.

It was different for the Princess, of course, and so he was quite surprised to hear someone scold her for taking what was rightfully hers. He turned towards the source of the voice, frowning.

" Now, still your voice and open your eyes
Do you not know to whom you speak?
Your hasty wording is unwise
Against the Princess falls your critique
You would deny her morsel she prefers
When all Dreamhaven is rightfully hers?"

DragonSong

"Oh." Krysta went very red and laid a dainty hand on Maldwyn's shoulder as the rather plump little cook who'd caught her act of theft fluttered into the room. "No no, it's alright. This is--"

"Names Holly." The elderly pixie narrowed her eyes at the minstrel. "And just who might you be, serah, to be actin' so high and mighty on behalf of the little thief?"

quaggan

She was right, he should introduce himself. He was just made the court minstrel, he couldn't expect everyone to know who he was - especially kitchen staff. He performed an etiquette-appropriate bow - while he couldn't expect the cook to be familiar with all details of decorum, it was good to make it an habit.

"Please forgive me my earlier outburst
For I have acted ill in comport
I should have given you my name first
I'm Maldwyn Starsong, bard of the court"

DragonSong

"Oh, you're alright, lad." Holly chuckled, immediately transforming into a kindly grandmother rather than the elderly avenging angel she had been moments before. "You're the new one, right? Welcome to palace life." She spread her arms grandly-- then slapped Krysta's hand as the princess tried to surreptitiously sneak another treat. "Oi! None of that, miss!"

"Hol-ly." Krysta pouted at her.

"Oh, don't you try those baby bunny eyes on me," the cook sniffed. "Off with you now, before you spoil your supper. You, new lad." She huffed. "Keep an eye on the wee devil."

quaggan

Maldwyn nodded - looked like they were close to the supper time. He couldn't see any windows to look out of, and certainly the kitchen wouldn't be equipped with any timekeeping charms. But the staff here was well-familiarised with the routine life in the castle, they would know how long they had. He glanced around to find a door - the place was quite busy, and with everyone flitting about, it was easy to get confused. He was about to give up and ask the Princess when he saw it.

Holly noticed his search and pointed helpfully, before placing one broad hand at each of their backs, right between the wings, and pushing softly. "Now shoo! If you want some food, missy, why not wait a few minutes for the dinner? Your stomach won't collapse in this time!"

DragonSong

Krysta made a face at the cook, but she was smiling as she grabbed Maldwyn's hand and towed him back through the kitchens. "Come on, let's hurry and get ready."

quaggan

The minstrel followed her, glad to be back within the castle walls. Now he didn't have to sneak around - footsteps shouldn't arouse suspicion, as there were a lot of servants scurrying around. They would still have to take care not to be seen, of course, but at least he didn't have to worry about the sound. That was a relief.

He heard someone coming - a faint sound that only reached his ears through the sharpened senses the stars granted him this night. He brought up a finger to his lips in a sign of silence, motioning to the direction the footsteps were coming from. They had to hide, quick.

DragonSong

The princess froze, eyes going wide, and spun to face Maldwyn. He was right, they needed to make themselves scarce.

Grabbing his hand again, she mouthed, This way, and snapped her wings open to hover into the air, heading for an alcove with a thin, slatted window where hopefully they could tuck themselves into the curve and hide in the shadows.

quaggan

They waited, with bated breath, as the guard passed. Maldwyn's wings began to get really uncomfortable, pressed tightly together to fit in the alcove. They would be really sore tomorrow from all the exertion, but he would live.

Immediately after the guard rounded the corner, he left the alcove, fluttering above the floor on his wings so that he wouldn't make a sound. It would be less tiring to just wait and walk, but they didn't have time for that. He could feel the slow labour of celestial bodies across the sky, he didn't even need to look outside the window.

Fortunately, they were getting close. Today was the first time he visited the castle, but he remembered this hallway. They would soon reach their destination.

DragonSong

Krysta waited until she was sure the coast was clear, then let out a breathless little chuckle and shot Maldwyn a quick grin. "close call," she murmured, fluttering off down the hallway again.

"C'mon. If we hurry, we can beat mother and father to the dining hall."

quaggan

Maldwyn quietly landed on the floor, his mind already considering her choice of words. 'We'? The steward didn't say that he'd need to play for the royal couple during dinner - but no, he was probably overthinking it. It was the proper wording to use - after all, the two of them were still working together. This sudden attention for detail meant that the Star of the Ram must have risen high in the sky, its glow penetrating the walls of the castle and enhancing his perception. Good - they would need it to avoid more attention. As they made their way through the hallways, he focused on memorizing the surroundings.

DragonSong

The princess kept up her stealth as they picked the way down the hall, but once they'd reached a more open area-- a pavilion that poked through the branches of the great willow-- she relaxed, glancing back at her companion with a bright grin.

"Alright, I think we're clear. The dining hall is just down that hall, and the kitchens are that way." She pointed, hesitated, then said with a sigh, "You'll probably be more comfortable eating in the kitchens, I suppose. The dining hall is...stuffy."

quaggan

Maldwyn didn't know the interior of the castle well enough to tell the difference, but he noticed the change in the Princess' posture - she relaxed and appeared to be more at ease. That meant they must have gotten close to their target - close enough that even if someone saw her, she could just claim to be on her way to the dining hall.

He nodded in affirmation. She was right - the steward didn't say anything about introducing him to the royal couple this day, just the princess. It was better not to interfere with the plans of the court.

"Aye, you are right, there I shall go
Is it then time for us to part?
You were a true honour to know
I shall retain it in my heart."

DragonSong

"Oh, well, um..." Krysta flushed a bit and tugged at a lock of her hair. "It was good to meet you too, Maldwyn. I...hope I'll see you often around the palace."

She smiled, then fluttered a few inches into the air and turned to make her way toward the dining hall, twisting in the air to wave at him as she went.