Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Catch a Unicorn [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, June 03, 2016, 08:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

"Yes like the- Bella!" He hissed a little too loudly, catching Nel's attention. The woman's eyes went wide as she watched the small creature run. Automatically she reached out towards her, thinking she was actually fleeing, but Bella was out of her reach far too quick for her own reflexes.

Raidin tensed and shot Kynton a glare over his shoulder and it only took a few moments for the others to join in on the intense staring as they looked to the pair and the curiously excited unicorn.

Kynton waved his hand dismissively at them, side-stepping to walk a little closer to her as if to demonstrate that he could keep things under control. The deep maroon of his eyes flashed nervously under his facade, though, quite unable to appreciate her innocent excitement under such scrutiny.

"Yes," he whispered once the others had looked away again. "I'm sure you'll have plenty of chances to see it. It's just water, nothing special," he promised with a snort.

DragonSong

"Oh." It seemed she'd done something wrong. The others were staring now and Kynton was tense. Bella lowered her head slightly, ears drooping, and her tail stilled. "Um, right. Sorry, I- I got excited..."

She huffed a small breath and pawed at the ground bashfully.

Juno

Though he knew he hadn't done anything to really warrant it he suddenly felt terribly guilty, like he'd scolded her for something she hadn't deserved.

"You're allowed to be excited," he reminded her, feeling bad for what he saw as nervous antics.

Reaching out cautiously he set a gentle hand to her mane behind her ears, petting in what he hoped was a reassuring manner.

"They're just...not used to something like you," he offered. Granted he wasn't either, but she was growing on him and he wasn't nearly as bothered as he'd been the day before by her natural cheerfulness.

DragonSong

Bella's ears perked up and she flickered them at him with a small, happy whicker. She didn't mind te others staring so much if her new friend was alright with it.

"Do you think they'll get used to me?" she mused aloud after a few moments. It would certainly make traveling together easier if they could all be friendly.

And she was getting more and more nervous that she was going to slip up and talk in front of them.

Juno

He flinched at that, uncertain of how to skirt the truth. He wasn't sure they would really be around her long enough to even worry about that. The job seemed to be the priority of the rest even though she'd managed to more or less befriend him.

"Couldn't say," he mumbled, scratching gently between her ears for a moment before letting his hand fall away. It seemed inappropriate to pet something that could talk, especially when he wouldn't have appreciated it himself.

"I wouldn't worry yourself with them. They don't seem the...social sort. Well- I'm not really either, but-" Kynton shrugged, not really wanting to say that it was easier to talk to an animal than a person.

"Everything will be fine."

DragonSong

He seemed to be quite concerned with her understanding that. Everything would be fine.

For perhaps the first time, Bella felt a twinge of suspicion. She shoved it aside quickly though, not even entirely familiar with the feeling. A toss of her head and a murmured, "As you say," we're her only response.

Juno

He actually felt more uneasy with her lack of speech and lack of questions. Without anything else to distract him Kynton lagged further and further behind the rest, his limbs moving sluggishly.

He was envious of the others, of what his former self would have been capable of. It left him feeling like a washed-up old man. Walking shouldn't take such a toll on a person, even for such long distances.

He grit his teeth and continued on, stubborn and not wanting to beg for mercy or a rest. Slower. He would just catch up later. Just like yesterday. And the night before. And before. At least they didn't seem surprised by it now.

"You can go on with them if you want to," he offered, looking down at Bella.

DragonSong

The unicorn had been unconsciously slowing her pace to match his. At his suggestion, she shook her head. "No. I like walking with you."

At least she knew she could talk to him.

Giving him a concerned look, Bella murmured, "If you'd let me, I might be able to help. Like how I helped you stay warm before? I could do that again."

Juno

He grunted in acknowledgement, feeling too weak to argue it if she said she was all right with him. Her suggestion was surprising, not something he'd considered could become a "regular" thing while they were together.

"Well, if it isn't inconvenient for you," he agreed, not wanting to directly ask for her help with it. "Or take too much from you."

Kynton slowed a bit more, his feet barely shuffling along the path until he stopped altogether. Eyeing her anxiously he swallowed hard and stared down at her curiously, uncertain if things would need to happen the same as they had before with her horn against his chest. He wasn't exactly thrilled about that, but if it was necessary he couldn't really complain.

DragonSong

"It's not inconvenient." A silvery toss of her mane and she turned to stand in front of him. "This is what we do. It's what we're made for, to keep balance, heal, protect."

Sensing his tension, she took a cautious step forward and craned her neck up. Instead of pressing her horn over his heart, she tapped his lips lightly. Without much experience to go on, she was really just experimenting with which methods seemed to help him the most.

Juno

He frowned at that, actually feeling a little sorry for her. It sounded like a bunch of idealistic bullshit to him, but he didn't feel like making things awkward if voicing that would hurt her feelings.

Kynton couldn't deny that her magic was real, though, no matter the purpose. He was more than a little surprised by the touch, flinching instinctively for any part of her to be so close to his fangs. Almost immediately a warm wave of calm enveloped him, though, and he stilled like a man entranced.

He didn't even bother to check if the others had gone on without them or not, didn't care. Her magical warmth felt distinctly deeper, like the ice in his veins might have truly been thawed. It was the most wholly human he'd felt in...well, years.

Better yet, he didn't feel like he was swinging from one extreme to the other. There was no burning, no uncomfortable feverishness for the bundle of coats he'd wrapped himself up in. Just...comfort, pure and simple. For the second time since they'd met he felt like every breeze didn't just blow right through him to chill to the bone.

In a haze of bewilderment he finally focused his dark eyes upon her, pupils dilating to what could almost be considered a normal roundness. Suddenly he wasn't so sure turning her over would be the right thing to do, at least not for himself. He would be an absolute fool to throw away such an opportunity to have relief from his affliction so readily available. Briefly he wondered how easy it might be to hide a unicorn. Further, though, he wondered how he might even be able to convince her or another of her species to help him long-term when he had nothing to offer them in return.

"Thank you, Bella. That's...amazing," he murmured distractedly, still staring but his eyes holding a far-off look as his thoughts drifted further and further from the present.

DragonSong

Bella pranced back a few steps from him, eyeing him with her head cocked to one side. She could almost feel his relief as a palpable shiver in the air.

If she could have smiled, she would have. "You're welcome." She tossed her head and moved toward him, pushing her nose into his hip in an affectionate nuzzle.

Juno

Kynton reached to scratch lightly at her cheek, though it certainly was no payment or affection worthy of what she'd done for him. Even a brief reprieve was better than he would ever get on his own.

By the time he realized they should keep moving the others were far ahead along the path, shrouded by shadows and the the growing darkness of night. But he knew the way, could sense it and his companions.

"We should keep moving. Don't want to worry them," he prompted, eyeing her curiously but moving forward with a spring to his step, no longer weighed down by an invisible burden. All of his senses seemed clearer but somehow he doubted that contributed to the almost glowing quality of the unicorn.

He stumbled occasionally as he walked along, but not out of weakness. His eyes kept being drawn to her, completed distracted and not paying attention to where he was going. Every time he mumbled some apology but it didn't stop him from doing it again.

DragonSong

The unicorn gave a tinkling nicker and tilted her head slightly into his touch, then nodded when he urged them to keep moving. She kept quiet for a while, simply walking sedately along beside him.

His little stumbles caught her attention though, and eventually she paused to ask softly, "Are you alright?" Had she done something wrong? Perhaps in her attempt to ease his discomfort she'd somehow messed up his equilibrium or something.

Juno

He blanched at that, fumbling for words and snapping his eyes forward again. "Y-Yeah. I'm fine. Sorry. Just...." Again his eyes went to her and again he forced himself to look away.

"Just...feels like a cruel twist of fate," he pointed out vaguely with a nervous chuckle. "I've never been able to find anything like that." He pointed at her horn, careful not to touch. "I just can't believe you can do that. I know it isn't a cure but... It's the most normal I've felt in a long time, these past two nights."

DragonSong

"Oh." Her glow flickered a bit, and for a moment seemed a little more gold than silver. A unicorn's blush. "Well, it's nothing special, really. Any of my kind could do it."

Her eyes glinted at him kindly and her head tilted to the side. "But why is that cruel? It's...a good thing, isn't it??"

Juno

He huffed at that, eyes dilating in mild panic as he tried to sort out how to talk his way out enough to satisfy her curiosity. "Well yeah, just- That I'm not here for you. Well, I am, but... Getting you for someone else. He'll probably need you for...a long time." Forever, he guessed. He wasn't sure what plans there were for her ahead but he couldn't imagine someone paying the coin they were to receive for Bella would intend anything but to make her a prisoner.

DragonSong

"I...see." Again, that instinctive wariness crept up her spine, but she was too naive to name it for what it was and just tossed her head. "Well...perhaps you could come and visit while I heal your friend? Or I could come to you!"

Pleased with herself, the silver glow around her brightened and she nodded firmly, as though that solved the whole issue.

Juno

He clucked his tongue, pretending to give it serious thought. In reality he had no idea whether any sort of arrangement might work or not, what her "owner" would allow.

"I don't know. I mean, I move around a lot," he pointed out, hoping that might be enough to deter her from pursuing it further. "For a good climate and all. It's hard for me to stay in one place for long."

DragonSong

"Oh." Her ears and tail suddenly drooped like a dejected puppy. "Of course, I understand." She shook herself a bit and glanced up at him again, trying to be chipper. "Well...if you ever can, I'd very much like to see you again."