Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Catch a Unicorn [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, June 03, 2016, 08:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Kynton hissed softly at her complaint, not liking that they shared the same feeling but not knowing what he could do about it right now. He was exhausted and the more he thought about it the more he was certain it had all been done on purpose.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, squeezing her hand some, pained to admit to her, "I don't know how to fix this." He eyed the servant warily, not really comfortable discussing it in front of her no matter how much a failure he felt.

When she stopped at an unassuming door and unlocked it for them he jumped slightly to see that a fire had already been stoked inside. Inside a locked room. What kind of house was this?! He looked around warily before stepping inside. "Let's just see how this goes," he tried to encourage her softly, hoping she wouldn't panic on him.

DragonSong

The unicorn skittered back, spooked more by his jump than the fire itself, but she followed him into the room with a softly murmured, "Alright..."

She didn't want to stay here any longer than she had to, but she would trust his judgement.

Juno

As soon as Bella was past the threshold the door was shut upon them and Kynton winced at the familiar sound of a lock being put back into place. Just lovely. He shuddered involuntarily at the cold already beginning to set in and shuffled closer to the fire.

"Maybe... Maybe if you can get him to let you do some of your...unicorn magic things that'll be all he wants to see," he offered, attempting to be optimistic for once. It was along the lines of the lie he'd fed her to even convince her to come along with him in the first place after all. "Hopefully they'll come back for us tomorrow."

DragonSong

Bella gave a soft whimper, wrapping her arms around her middle as she looked back at the door, then to Kynton.

"He- he's not sick," she whispered. "I don't know why he- I don't think I can help him..."

Juno

Kynton paced in front of the fire anxiously, probably too close to the licking flames but unable to resist the delicious heat it gave off in waves. He didn't want to be caught out in the lie, it seemed she'd already figured it out partially what with her whole unicorn's intuition.

"Well... Maybe there's something. There must be something you can do for him." He hoped so, at least. He didn't want them being trapped there forever for his stupid mistake. He never should have taken her in, not a creature so pure and innocent as Bella. But beyond her blind trust in him how was he to know?

He fidgeted nervously, combing his fingers through his hair as he brooded in silence.

DragonSong

"Kynton?" His pacing was making her nervous- well, more nervous than she already was. She shifted her weight anxiously, her eyes flicking to the fire and away again, to him, then to the flames once more.

"I don't...okay," she whispered, not sure what else she could do.

Juno

"I'm sorry," he sighed, finally turning to her again with an uncertain look in his eyes. "I wasn't expecting today to go like this." At least that was partially truth.

She looked nervous, though, and he probably wasn't helping. At all. "Are you alright? You look a little...off."

DragonSong

She nodded jerkily. "I- I'm okay...I..." She took a breath, then moved to the bed to perch on the edge. "I'm tired," she whispered, closing her eyes and dropping her head into her hands. "And I'm scared, Kynton."

Juno

Well, shit.

Kynton swallowed hard, uncomfortable with her being fearful of this place. Sure, it hadn't been his plan to be stuck even for one night but he was hopeful it could just be one and then they could be on their way.

"What are you scared of?" he asked quietly, shuffling closer to stand before her but not quite ready to take a seat beside her.

DragonSong

Bella curled in on herself as a shiver ran through her. "It's...cold. There's something wrong here. Something unnatural," she whispered.

Juno

He frowned slightly at her explanation. He felt it too, something off about this place, but he was hoping it was just because it was new and dark. Maybe come morning things would look better.

"Yeah it's a bit weird," he sighed, finally moving closer to sit beside her. "I didn't see anything exactly unnatural, though. Maybe... Maybe your mind's playing tricks on you if you're so tired, Bella." Kynton really didn't want to think about how real her natural intuition might be. "It's dark and late... Maybe let's get some rest and see how you feel in the morning?"

DragonSong

She didn't really believe that was true, but... "Yeah. Maybe." She sighed and ran a hand through her hair and glanced back at the bed. "We should...get some sleep."

Juno

With a grunt of affirmation he discarded his things at the side of the bed, too wary of this place to put anything too far away from himself in the one place he would be vulnerable. But then he paused, eyeing her with concern for a moment before looking between her and the fire. Perhaps he was making himself too comfortable.

"You don't mind if I'm here, do you?" he asked cautiously, patting the bed in a slow motion. "I can sleep by the fire instead if you want some space. Just need to keep warm."

DragonSong

Bella shook her head. "No. No, this is...fine." She sighed and settled herself onto the bed, closing her eyes. She was still tense, curled in on herself protectively, but she was determined to at least try to rest.

Juno

Kynton hummed in affirmation, watching her with sadness for a moment before he laid down beside her. Despite their closeness throughout the day he left a respectful distance between them now. There was no need to get comfortable with her anyway, he assumed she would come to hate him in short order once she figured out what had led them to their predicament.

"Good night, then. Sleep well," he bid her, closing his eyes and just listening to the quiet crackle of the fire and the muffled noises of the house around them. Now that he could pay more attention, it seemed rather alive below them on the main level despite the late hour. Odd.

Despite his exhaustion he slept very little, waking every hour or so with a start as he instinctively sensed something was amiss, that they might not be safe. It was hard to stamp the feeling out but he managed to only for it to resurface again each time.

Once the light of the morning sun was peeking through the curtains at the window he was startled awake again, but this time for a sharp rapping at their door. He grumbled and hissed, curling in on himself a little more and defiantly staying where he was: They'd locked them in here, they could damn well open the door for themselves!

DragonSong

Bella had no more luck sleeping than her companion, but rather than tossing and startling, she kept eerily still throughout the night. Her body curled into a fetal position, hair wrapped around her like a blanket, she alternated between staring at the wall and the ceiling for most of the night.

The creeping, cold feeling of an unnatural life tingled up and down her spine, she couldn't shake it.

When the knock finally came, she started violently and nearly jumped from the bed, eyes wide as he chest heaved with pants.

Juno

The sound of her breathing told him she was awake. And...she didn't seem entirely herself still.

He turned slowly to look at her -well, her back really- before reaching out to place a hand on her shoulder, uncertain if she was awake as he couldn't see her face. "Are you okay?" he whispered to her, not wanting to startle her if she happened to just be having a nightmare.

Again the knocking sounded, a bit louder this time. Kynton mumbled a curse under his breath, lifting his head slightly to glare at it from his place on the bed. If they cared to bother them so much and interrupt their rest why did they care to have them come to the door personally?

DragonSong

She jumped again when he touched her, flinching away from his hand. "I'm f-fine..."

She huddled into the bed when the knock came again and eyed the door warily. "Should we...get that?"

Juno

He felt bad for the way that she jumped, quickly moving his hand away as he rolled to sit up. "Yeah... I'll get it, I'm sorry. You stay here." At least with the fire and the warmth of the bed he wasn't as stiff as he normally was first waking up.

Shuffling his way to the door he made to open it with a scowl, surprised when it moved freely. He hadn't heard it being unlocked. A different woman from before awaited him on the other side, an expectant but somehow distant look upon her face that he found quite odd. "My master had a breakfast prepared for you," she said without even greeting him. "I can take you downstairs if you'd like."

"Oh, um..." Could Bella even eat human food? Maybe she'd prefer grazing outside... If they could even go outside. He looked over his shoulder at her, beckoning for her. "Want to go downstairs? They have food for us."

DragonSong

The unicorn sat up slowly, eyes flicking from Kynton to the strange woman as she listened. She nodded warily and stood, still sort of clutching at the blanket.

"I...don't mind. If you're hungry," she murmured.