Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Catch a Unicorn [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, June 03, 2016, 08:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

"Well... Can you eat like this?" he asked curiously, furrowing his brow thoughtfully as he gestured at her person. "Or is it greens only? You know, grazing?"

Not really understanding what Bella was exactly despite her horn the servant chimed in with a quiet, "If the lady prefers there's plenty of vegetables."

DragonSong

"I can eat," Bella confirmed quietly. "Whatever I'd normally eat, I can eat in this form. Just...no meat." She shuddered delicately, arms wrapped loosely around her middle.

Juno

Kynton nodded in agreement, a small smile of endearment reaching his lips at her honesty. "I think they can accommodate that," he assured her gently. He lifted his hand to beckon her but hesitated, holding his arm out and mistaking her shuddering for cold.

"Would you like some time to wake up before we go?" he offered politely, eyeing the servant briefly to let it be known she'd interrupted their morning. But the woman seemed unfazed, smiling politely but waiting for their answer one way or the other.

DragonSong

She gave her head a quick little shake and automatically reached out to take his arm. "I'm alright," she murmured quickly. "Really. Let's just...get moving."

Juno

"Uh, sure," he mumbled, swallowing hard against the guilt lumping in his throat. Pulling his arm closer he stood stiffly for a moment before reaching out to pat lightly at her hand, as if that small gesture could soothe her fears.

Moving towards the servant he startled slightly at how quickly she turned to lead them away, navigating the dark hall with the confidence of familiarity he didn't have. They were taken to a large room with several long tables within, each row of chairs tucked neatly and evenly against the wood.

"Please sit," the woman prompted, turning to slip through a side door and leave them alone in the cavernous room. It was still far too dark for his liking even with all the lamps and candles. It didn't feel like a warm space at all, like the dining hall of a home filled with life and laughter. It seemed dull, like it rarely got any formal use and was mostly for display.

"Where should we sit?" Kynton muttered wryly, already moving towards the nearest table and half-expecting the chairs to be dusty. But they weren't. He didn't want to think about how much effort must have gone into keeping them clean.

DragonSong

Bella followed delicately after Kynton, keeping her hand in his where allowed, taking comfort in the contact. She tried not to flinch away from the voice of the serving woman, but everything about this place had her on edge- each new sound and scent nearly made her jump out of her skin.

She shook her head helplessly in answer to Kynton's question, eyes wide as she stared up at him. "I- I don't know," she whispered. "I'll follow you."

Juno

Kynton offered her a sympathetic smile, leading her to the nearest corner of the table and taking a seat for himself while patting the chair beside him. As soon as he'd chosen his seat a couple more servants shuffled into the room to give them all the proper pieces to their place settings, a fact that confused him greatly given their brief encounter with the owner of the house. He'd assumed such niceties wouldn't be wasted on them. Perhaps, he thought, it meant it was more the servants' doing.

He nodded dumbly in thanks, unused to being waited upon. He watched as goblets were filled with clean water for them and finally three platters were brought and laid along the table, one each of meats, steamed vegetables, and an assortment of bread and cheese. Kynton's eyes narrowed at the feast, baffled as to why so much food would be brought for two people. It could have easily fed ten times that and he dearly hoped it would not all go to waste.

Speaking his thanks was forgotten as he sat in dumbstruck silence for a few long moments after they were left alone without any explanation. Either the staff of the house thought them starving or, he hoped more reasonably, the house breakfast was being laid out early with all the preparations that had clearly gone into it. He tilted his head to Bella, smiling nervously as he plucked his choice of meat, bread, and cheese to his plate.

"Eat your fill," he offered, nodding towards the vegetables and hoping they would be to her liking. "I'll have some after."

DragonSong

Bella stared at him with those wide, doe-like eyes for a moment before she nodded and began picking at the vegetables. The meat honestly made her stomach turn, but she couldn't begrudge a predator for living according to its nature. She she just tried to steer clear.

"What do you, um..." She glanced up at Kynton worriedly. "Our...host. What do you think he'll...say? Is he eating with us?"

Juno

Kynton nervously picked at the food upon his plate, eating little as he pondered her questions. He wasn't sure what their host even was, but he suspected he wasn't human or at least not entirely. Had he not been under such stress he would have thoroughly enjoyed the treat of such a savory meal and being waited upon, but it left everything feeling just a little bit empty of flavor as his thoughts weighed heavily on their fate.

"I'm not sure," he finally answered her with a tired sigh, shuddering at the thought of disappointing her or giving her cause for fear. Neither was his intention and he hoped she didn't wonder about the worried crease of his brow.

There were only a few minutes more of silence in the dining hall, though, the quiet shut of a different door nearer to where they'd entered from making Kynton's head snap to the side as tension coiled in his body. The sight of Akakios walking towards them didn't soothe him at all but he gulped down hard, trying to remember that he needed to be strong for Bella and keep his wits about him.

The vampire eyed him curiously for a brief moment but settled his gaze upon the unicorn more fondly and even smiled as he approached and took a seat at the head of the table nearest to them. "Good morning, I trust you slept well? And breakfast is to your liking?" he greeted her as he settled comfortably and confidently in his chair, though he did glance to Kynton to include him for which he only received a nod.

DragonSong

Belladonna found herself scooting subtly closer to Kynton as the minutes ticked by in tense quiet, unconsciously seeking the comfort of familiarity. She didn't respond when he answered her questions, but nodded as though that was what she'd expected- honestly she wasn't sure what she'd expected- and continued picking at her food.

When the door opened and their host entered she jumped slightly and suddenly found herself pressing into Kynton's side, peering around at Akakios warily as he took a seat.

"I...slept fine," she said softly, lowering her eyes to stare at her plate. The aura this man gave off set every nerve in her body zinging with the prelude to a fight-or-flight response. She did try for a smile though, giving a noncommittal noise about breakfast in the hopes of not offending him while still being able to hide the fact she hadn't touched the meat.

Juno

The vampire chuckled, murmuring a gentle, "Good," even as his eyes wandered to her plate. It seemed she had taken at least a little, and he was happy enough with that. There was no point or sense in seeing her go hungry if his intentions with her could be realized.

Kynton's frown did not go unnoticed, nor did his protective posture as he settled a hand to the unicorn's shoulder when she pressed closer to him. Akakios was already concerned over what trouble he might cause for him. He'd never before kept a creature for his collection with its mate and he wasn't entirely sure he wanted to start with the pair.

"Was the room to your liking? I was under the assumption your kind preferred the outdoors, but- If it is because of your human I understand, though I would enjoy seeing your true self at some point," the vampire chuckled.

DragonSong

The unicorn started slightly and looked from their host to Kynton. "My...human?" Brushing the odd label aside, she cleared her throat and tried for another polite smile and a nod. "No, the room was...fine."

Honestly she would have preferred to be outside, but she hadn't really thought that was an option. His comment about her "true self" had her hesitating again though, and once more she found herself looking at Kynton for reassurance.

"If- if you'd prefer, sir, I can...change my form?" Was that what he wanted from her?

Juno

Kynton found it hard not to glare at the man across the table, his arm kept protectively around the unicorn and pulling her closer as she tried to guess at his meaning. He didn't trust this man and he didn't like the sound of her taking her smaller form that would make her more vulnerable. "There's no need for that," he grumbled, squeezing gently at her shoulder.

Akakios only smirked, greatly amused by Kynton's displeasure. "Not necessary, perhaps, but I'm quite curious. There's no harm in showing me, right Belladonna?"

DragonSong

"I-" She looked from Kynton to Akakios and back. "I can...I don't mind," she murmured, trying to offer a small smile for her companion.

With a shaky breath, she stood from her chair and looked around again, then dropped her clothes quickly and inhaled deeply. Silvery light haloed her form as she bent forward, hands reforming into hooves just before they touched the ground.

She flicked her tail and shifted her weight on her back hooves as she took her natural form. Her head bowed and she peered around Kynton's chair at their host.

Juno

Kynton looked on with a scowl fixed upon his face, worried for her safety and convinced something bad would happen if she appeased the vampire. He remained tense as he watched her, though heat rose to his cheeks slightly for the ease with which she shed her borrowed clothing. It passed quickly, though, as he observed her taking her natural form again. Admittedly, it was rather beautiful to see, but it was soured by the hungry look in the vampire's eyes when he glanced up to him again.

Akakios had leaned forward like an eager child to get a look at her, tilting his head to look around the grumpy man that was blocking his view. Finally, though, he stood and stepped around the table to crouch down before her, palm outstretched as though he expected her to be a skittish animal. "My, aren't you special," he murmured softly, wheels already turning in his head about where he might keep his new "pet."

Kynton turned his head with a scowl, lowering his arm to rest a protective hand at her withers. While the vampire didn't seem outwardly threatening to him at the moment he still didn't like what he knew about what would be expected for Bella and wanted to be cautious.

DragonSong

The unicorn froze, eyeing their host's outstretched hand warily. Slowly, she stretched her neck forward to press her nose briefly against his palm, then quickly pulled her head back again.

She glanced up at Kynton a little nervously and leaned against his side, grateful for his hind on her withers, though she couldn't exactly place why.

"Thank you," she murmured after several long moments, staring up at Akakios with wide eyes.

Juno

Akakios's eyes widened in surprise, not expecting her to still be able to speak in her natural form but quite delighted to hear it. He chuckled incredulously, shaking his head with a smile as he reached out to run a hand along the soft hair of her neck. "Are you all like this, then? Or do you have gifts your sisters do not?" he asked with a sincere tone of wonder.

Kynton glowered at him, not liking that the man was taking liberties to even touch her the way he was. He didn't like it, didn't want him to get comfortable with her at all. Speaking out against him probably wouldn't be good for Bella, though, or whatever favor he might be able to garner with him for that matter.

DragonSong

Bella tensed under his touch, not sure how to react. She didn't think she liked it, but she was honestly too afraid to pull away. She flicked a glance up toward Kynton, eyes wide-- and for once reflecting what she saw, rather than the forests of her home as they usually did.

Being in the mortal world had begun to take its toll.

"Um...many of my kind can," she murmured in reply to Akakios's question. "My herd all could, mostly. I'm...not sure about others."

Juno

"I see..." The vampire was pleased to hear she was not entirely alone despite her rarity, a thought he filed away to the back of his mind to discuss with Lucas at a later time. Perhaps she might do better with a friend or two eventually. A rumbling snigger of delight bubbled up his throat as he lifted his hand to catch her by her muzzle, tilting her head this way and that to study her rather clinically. There was something a little...off about her that he just couldn't pinpoint, but he chalked it up to not being very familiar with seeing her.

Kynton, however, had noticed the change to her eyes. He was tense as he watched them, wondering if the vampire had done something to her with his presence, though he did not want to bark his judgments and displeasure at the man while he quite literally held her life in his hands. Instead, a soft hiss of concern from him caught the vampire's attention.

Akakios looked between Bella and Kynton with amusement, chuckling under his breath as he caught the other man's eye. "You think I will harm her," he pointed out, a bold guess but one he was quite certain of. He tightened his grip on the unicorn just slightly to test that.

Kynton narrowed his eyes sharply, his hiss growing as he moved to pull Bella away and place himself between her and the vampire. "Don't handle her like that...please," he growled, softening his features and voice as he tried to remember that he likely didn't have much say in the whole matter. Still, it seemed important that he stood up for her.

Akakios relented at least, dropping his hand away to rest upon his thigh and only further amused by Kynton's desire to throw his weight around. "I will give you both some time to settle in, but you will need to learn that there are certain things expected of you here," he reminded him firmly, unable to keep a spark of hunger from his eyes as he leaned to peer around him and look at Bella again.

DragonSong

Suddenly terrified and entirely unsure why, Bella jerked away from Akakios's grip the moment she was able and skittered back behind Kynton, silently grateful that he'd moved to shield her.

Entirely without thinking, she allowed her form to shift, shivering and shimmering into the young woman she had been the night before, silvered hair curtaining her body as she pressed against her friend's back and clutched at the hem of his shirt, hiding her face in his shoulder.

She suddenly froze as she realized what she'd done. She'd just...panicked. She'd wanted to be closer to him, to feel that comfort of touch, and in her equine form it would have been rather more difficult.

"...Oops..."

Tags: