Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lessons From the Devil and the Plowman [M]

Started by DragonSong, August 04, 2016, 12:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Lion (You should check out the song I named the thread after, thought it was amusing :3)

It wasn't really that she couldn't afford the drink, she just didn't see the point in spending good coin when she could sing for her supper, as it were.

Which was how Aria found herself strumming her lute and singing at the top of her voice, standing on one of the tables in the center of the inn's tap room as people gathered around to clap and laugh, a few even dancing- or, well, she supposed that could be called dancing.

She smiled as she sang, spinning in a circle that made her skirts flare and earned a few appreciative whistles from the crowd. True, music was how she made her living, but she'd be lying if she said she didn't enjoy the hell out of performing.

With a flourish she hit the last note and swung her lute over her back, secured by the strap over her shoulder, and dipped into a theatrical curtsy. "Alright, alright, that's all for now," she laughed, waving off a small spattering of applause as she hopped down from the table.

Gods she needed a drink. She wove her way through the people milling about toward the bar and bounced onto a stool. "Water, and a glass of wine if you have it," she called to the girl who seemed to b serving.

The young woman raised an eyebrow. "You got the coin for it?" Aria rolled her eyes and flashed a bit of copper between her fingers and the girl nodded, bustling off to get her drink.

With a long exhale, Aria turned around in her seat to lean back against the bar and observe her surroundings with a sharp eye, still a little flushed from the exertion of her performance.

Lion

After her performance, it would seem most, if not all, eyes were on her.  It would seem that way.  Not all of them were, and in fact some of them were a little drunk already.  Some of them were passed out.  And others were just focused on other tasks, like trying to drive that racket out of their heads.

One such of the latter was Vance.  And he nursed his whiskey in one hand and rolled his eyes when the bard found her seat beside the bar.  Gods, it had to be where he was sitting right?

He sighed loudly.  "Thank gods you stopped that racket.  Now i can finally get some peace in this joint," he said none too quietly either.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

Her eyes snapped to the man and she arched an eyebrow. "You know, if you didn't like it you could have left," she said easily as she turned around in her seat again, apparently unbothered by his surliness. "There's plenty of taverns where you can drink yourself into a stupor."

Her drink arrived and she tossed the coin across the bar before she took a swig of water. Gods she was parched.

"The room you asked for should be ready," the serving girl told quickly before she moved away. Aria nodded. She'd made enough coin from her performance to afford a place for the night by now.

Lion

He laughed.  "I would, but I was here first n all," he said.  "Never the less, I like this place.  I didn't know a bard was coming or I would have made other arrangements.  But seeing as you're already here, and your song is over, I could extend a small token of forgiveness."

He sniffed and slid a small silver coin across the counter toward her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

"Ah... Thanks?" Well, she hadn't exactly been expecting that.

Aria tilted her head at him and sipped her drink thoughtfully. "Y'know, I've got you pegged as the sort that likes his peace and quiet. Why spend your time in a place like this?"

Lion

"It was quiet.  And who's to say I don't enjoy being here either," he said.

He shrugged.  And actually looked at her this time.  "How much money could you seriously make with that singing stuff anyway?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"That depends." She smirked and took another sip of her drink. "You planning on robbing me, or just curious?"

Lion

His brow quirked, one raised, one lowered, and he gave her a brooding look.  "Would I seriously ask you, and then let you know I was robbing you, and then actually carry out the deed?  Do you honestly believe that?"  He chuckled.  "Gods you need a drink."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Hey, you can't be too careful," Aria replied with a drug, completely unabashed. She took another sip of her drink and added, "And to answer your question, between fifteen and forty-ish sovereigns a night, depending."

Lion

"That's not too bad," he said.  "And you're a regular here I take it?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"On occasion. I'm not much of a regular anywhere, to be honest," she replied with a shrug.

Lion

"I suppose even the lack of steady work makes you give it your all every night, doesn't it?" he asked with a quirk of his brow.  "What's your name by the way?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Aria." She offered a small smile. At least the guy was being friendlier now. "Aria Rose, actually. And you?"

The serving girl paused, glancing over at them with a raised eyebrow, and she added, "Another for him, on me."

Lion

"Vance," he said and raised his glass to her.  He wasn't going to argue with a free drink.  So he grinned at her and leaned casually against the counter, extending his hand to her.  "Pleasure to meet you," he said.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Aria took his hand with a smile. To someone who knew what they were looking for, the callouses on her palms and fingertips may be surprising- some were clearly from her instruments, but others were...not. The distinct marks of one who fought with small blades.

Often.

"Likewise." She toasted him. "So, Vance, are you a regular here then? I've been in town a few days and haven't seen ya before."

Lion

"Not a regular here.  But a regular in town, sure," he said with a nod.  "Cerenis is a pretty nice seaside settlement.  I never thought I'd appreciate water so much, but the docks are pretty nice at night."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"I like it here," she agreed. "I was actually born not too far outside of town."

She took another swig of her drink, then caught an expectant look from the innkeeper. She gave Vance a winning smile. "Well, sorry if you don't like it, but I am singing for my supper here. A bard draws a crowd, good for business."

Of course, it was getting later, so she could probably get away with more a story-telling song, something softer.

Lion

"I'm a little drunker, but I can't promise I won't still be ornery," he said and saluted her with his glass.  He wondered how much more free stuff he could get out of her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Aria rolled her eyes and slipped off the stool, moving to perch on the edge of the hearth toward the center of the room.

She pulled out a simple flute, well worn with use, and trilled a scale to warm up. Then she set about playing in earnest, a soft melody occasionally interjected with her own voice as she wove an old tale through the air, one version of the history of Serendipity and Connlaoth, full of heartache and nostalgia.

Lion

This time Vance took the time to actually watch her perform.  To be completely honest, bards were not his favorite people in the world but he could make an exception when the moment set in him.  Vance leaned back against the bar, drink in hand as he watched her sing, and tilted his head.  He wasn't sure if it was the drink or if he was actually impressed, but some small part of him knew he enjoyed himself.

And when it was over he actually clapped.  He hoped he might get another drink out of that.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: