Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lessons From the Devil and the Plowman [M]

Started by DragonSong, August 04, 2016, 12:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Alright, alright, calm down." She stuck next to him as she tugged him down the alley.

Lion

He calmed down enough although he was sure he could feel eyes behind him.  He played it cool, bundling the jacket tighter around his arm.  He sighed and curled a free arm around her waist.

"So when do you get paid? And how do you know your employer didn't decide to sell you out?" he asked.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

"He's never sold me out before." She shrugged. "I'll get paid once he's sure the job's done- which probably means before sundown, I just have to make sure I'm in the right place."

Lion

"That's comforting to know," Vance sighed as they moved along.  The commotion behind them was gradually getting louder.  When they turned a corner and emerged on the other side of the street, Vance fixed the coat over his shoulders, pocketing the coins he'd earned while dancing ridiculously in the street.

Damn.

He flipped one of the gold ones and tossed it to her.  "Hard to believe I've been to Cerenis so many times and never walked along that posh street.  People sure know how to tip."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

Aria giggled as she caught the coin. "See? Not so bad being a bard really, is it?" she teased with a little bump of her shoulder against his.

Lion

"You're doing much to sway my opinion, but I can make an exception to the norm.  You're a bard that's largely tolerable," he said and poked her right back.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She gave a dramatic sigh and an eye roll. "I'll wear you down one day, just you watch," she grumbled playfully. Her eyes flickered around warily despite her air of levity, prepared to fight or flee at a moment's notice.

Lion

"Wear me down? Like an old wagon wheel, eh," he mumbled and could feel her tension.  He held firmly onto her.  "You feel a tail coming on us? We being followed?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Aria shook her head subtly. "Not that I can tell, but it pays to be cautious," she replied quietly.

Lion

They weren't immediately being followed, but it was a given that some eyes trailed them after they vanished from the street.  A small urchin, a child of no more than 9 or 10 years had eyed the couple and saw them go into the alley, and slowly loped along behind them.

Vance suspected nothing, but kept himself on alert as they walked back to Aria's contact.  "Is he expecting you alone?" he asked.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Probably." She shrugged, glanced over her shoulder, and frowned. "Shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm left to my own devices often enough."

Without warning, she whirled and grabbed the child's shoulder, pulling him out from an alcove. "Hello, lad. Need something?"

Lion

The child faltered when grabbed.  He yelped and struggled against her grip.  "Let go o' me, witch," until his shirt was sufficiently wrinkled from doing so.  He panted and kicked her shin.

Vance snatched his arm firmly.  "Got a death wish boy?  What's your name?" he hissed.

"Will! Now release, alley dogs!" And lunged another leg against Vance's gut.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Whoa, hey!" Aria grabbed the boy's shoulders and turned him to face her, bending to his level. "Look, lad, no one's gonna hurt ya. I just wanna know why you were following us, alright?"

Lion

"I wasn't following you, I was following your smell. I wanted something to eat...  Ya'll smell like fish and seaweed," he griped and continued to fight against Vance's hold on his arm.  He successfully did so but not without a swipe to the back of his head.

Vance wasn't having it and scowled at the boy.  "Cretin."

"Fuck you, swine herder!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Aria sighed, fished around in her pocket, and tossed a pair of copper coins at the boy. "There. Go buy yourself a meal, and forget you saw us, alright?"

Lion

Will snatched the coin with a scrawny grip and he just glared at the pair of them. He didn't say anything and just watched as Vance shoved him off.

"He saw something and he ain't telling.  We shiv him and nobody has to know," he said with an indignant sniff.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Vance!" Her eyes turned flinty. "We are not killing a child," she said firmly, ice and steel warring for dominance in her tone.

Lion

"He's a rat," Vance said unwaveringly. He shrugged, careless and washing his hands of the matter.  Maybe it would have been realistic to have more sympathy for the urchin. Since he was after all in the same situation at one point in his life.

But he was here now, and the job was done, so what more was there to go on.  "Where's the meeting place?" he said matter of factly.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Aria decided not to pursue the matter. "Edge of town. He should be there in an hour," she muttered as she kept walking.

Lion

They kept on in silence and Vance forced his irritation away.  Once they cleared the area and were now in the town's outskirts, they stopped beside a wayward inn, one a little worse for wear than the one they had met in.  But Vance felt his hackles raising.

"Fuck," he murmured and turned around, only to see a head peeking in a window suddenly drop down.  "It's the kid.  The kid you paid to go away. He's back."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn