Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strange Magic [Dragonsong]

Started by Zero, August 15, 2016, 04:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

A stray?!

Well, Joss had been called worse. His scowled deepened and he folded his arms across his chest, glaring slightly at the woman. "Name's Joss, and don't worry, I was just leaving."

DragonSong

"See, Maria? No harm done." Calen smiled his most charming smile and wrapped an arm around Joss's shoulders in a friendly manner. "We're just gonna get moving then, yeah? Can't keep my good friend here cooped up forever," he chuckled.

Maria snorted. "Bullshit," she noted wryly, shaking her head at him. "Be gone with you then- and next time I see you I expect paying customers, you mooncalf."

Calen put a hand to his heart. "That hurts, Maria. It really hurts." He turned the hand on his chest into a genuflect and nudged Joss gently back toward the hall, muttering, "Start moving."

Zero

Joss turned his glare to Calen when the mage wrapped and arm around him, but at least he left it at glaring. He kind of wanted to punch him in the face. Didn't he have such good self-control?

Instead of patting himself on the back, he wasted no time in turning and shuffling down the hall in the direction that Calen nudge him.

"Strays?" He muttered testily, obviously still quite cranky. "How many people you bring here? Wait, I don't wanna know and I don't want to know what for either."

DragonSong

Calen quirked an eyebrow. "I'm not sure I like what you're insinuating," he noted cheerfully, head tilted to one side. "Anyhow, you shouldn't pay it any mind. Maria likes to exaggerate."

Zero

"I ain't insinuating nothing." Joss grumbled, still scurrying away from Maria and towards freedom. Just a few more minutes and he could be alone again. No more annoying mages, just himself and his thoughts.

And booze.

He might as well make an early start of it.

DragonSong

Calen rolled his eyes and chuckled, giving a little "hmm" in the back of his throat as he ushered the younger man down the back hall to the door.

Zero

By now Joss already felt his throat was dry. He was super thirsty for something strong and bitter that burned like hellfire on the way down. As soon as he reached the back door he threw it open and stepped out, taking a deep breath with a sigh.

"Nice knowing you, but I think I'm gonna go get a drink and get on with ruining my life without the interference of annoying ice cube boys." Even as he said it, he reached into his coat and pulled out his tobacco tin, putting a cigarette to his lips and using a match to light it. He inhaled deeply, feeling a soothing burn in his lungs as he feed one addiction.

DragonSong

Raising his hands peaceably, Calen took a few steps out onto the street before turning to face Joss. "Hey, I'm not one to belittle another man's vices. Knock yourself out."

He quirked an eyebrow. "It's a little early for a drink though. Sure you don't want some company?" He couldn't help offering- the young man was obviously troubled, and it just wasn't in his nature to let that lie.

Zero

"Yeah, because having someone watching me and never shutting up while I get piss drunk before noon is how I always like to start my day." There was a lot of sarcasm, of course, but the second half wasn't a horrible description of how he spent half his days. Drunk was a frequent state. Joss preferred it that way. Alcohol was good at numbing both body and mind - both his usually hurt.

" I thought we were going away at dawn." He took another drag on his cigarette before turning and heading down the street, looking for someplace that was open at this hour. Most of the taverns weren't, but there were always a couple somewhere.

DragonSong

Calen shrugged as he fell into step beside him. "I mean, we probably should. Don't know about you, but I'd rather not into those louts from last night, if I can help it."

Zero

"If I see those assholes again I'm gonna incinerate them." Oh yeah, Joss definitely owed them for last night. His stomach, ribs, and face still hurt - probably bruised all to hell. Well, he never was going to win a beauty contest. Looking like he'd been in a scrap wasn't usually that attractive.

Being dirty usually wasn't either. His hands, face, and clothes were still splattered with blood. The smell of blood, alcohol, and tobacco currently clung to him.

"What's it going to take to get rid of you?" Joss asked between puffs on his cigarette.

DragonSong

Calen shrugged again, still smiling. "I'm not sure yet, guess we'll just have to see, huh?" He raised his arms up over his head in a stretch and crinkled his nose. "Oh, ech. I reek. Reckon one of the baths will be open this early?" he muttered, glancing around to get his bearings.

Zero

Yeah, like hell he was letting this moron follow him to the baths.

"Don't know, don't care. I'm getting a drink before I do anything else." A little buzz might take the edge off his headache, plus he wanted to do basically anything more than he wanted to try venturing to any bath while he still had Calen tailing him like flies on shit.

DragonSong

Yet another shrug. "Hey, to each his own." He didn't make a move to leave though, evidently content to trail behind Joss for the time being.

Zero

"You're more likely to find an open bath than I am an open tavern. Just go away, if you stink that bad maybe I don't wanna smell you while I'm trying to enjoy my drink." Not that he was holding his breath on it being so easy to shake his stalker.

Joss ducked into a place he knew would give him a few rounds, as long as he paid up front. He made a beeline for the bar and pulled a couple coins from his pocket, tapping them lightly. "Something good, I've had a hell of a night."

The bartender snickered at him, swiping the coins and pouring a mug of frothy beer. "You look like hell, and like you're getting a head start on having an even worse night."

DragonSong

"Man's got a point," Calen threw out carelessly as he strolled up behind Joss and leaned back against the bar. "You're just asking for a nice new hangover."

Zero

"Maybe that's my goal. Maybe I like hangovers." Nobody liked hangovers, but Joss had to be spiteful and moody somehow. Although it was starting to become exhausting and it clearly wasn't working. Pure unpleasant personality wasn't getting rid of his problem. Odd, since it usually did wonders for driving off pesky people.

He picked up the beer and drank deeply. It was terrible, and it would only lead to regret, but he couldn't help himself. Joss was in far too deep when it came to alcohol, but it was all he could do to keep from going completely bonkers and losing his shit entirely.

DragonSong

"Hey, two glasses and a pitcher of water," Calen called to the man behind the bar. He eyed Joss. Kid was going to drink himself stupid if he wasn't careful.

Zero

"Water's for fish." Drinking himself stupid was something Joss had become very good at and did frequently. He scoffed at the pitcher of water, not bothering to even acknowledge that it was brought over when the keeper set it in front of Calen.

DragonSong

Ignoring the comment, Calen poured two glasses and slid one toward the younger man, though he didn't say anything else about it.

"You're too young to be this drunk, this early," he commented blithely.