Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Family Ties (Dauphin DaGlobster)

Started by DragonSong, November 03, 2016, 01:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

[works for me!]

Bree gave her a smile and a nod, then packed up her supplies and moved on to her next patient.

By the time she returned to the tent she and Ka had been given it was nearing dusk, and she was exhausted. She was so tired she didn't even bother announcing her presence before she ducked into the tent, stretching a long kink out of her back and wincing as she did.

"Gods, I'm starving."

DaGlobster

Dehak was on his way to Bree's tent. It had been a long day of war planning, debate over which tribe of plainsmen as the most dangerous that week, and just a little bit of excitement over some scouts reporting that there was a heavily guarded caravan moving through the surrounding territories.

He didn't care about any of that. He was starving, thirsty, and bored. He saw Bree enter her tent from up ahead, and he took his time to walk over, stopping outside the tent.

"Brianna!" he called out.

"You in there?"

DragonSong

Oh gods above, what does he want now?! Had she somehow screwed up her healing throughout the day badly enough to call Dehak's attention to her.

Glancing at Ka, who was lounging innocently on a bedroll near the back of the tent and shrugging at her, Bree gritted her teeth and called out, "Yes...come in?"

DaGlobster

Dehak poked his head into her tent. He greeted her with a slight smile, and acknowledge Ka with a nod of his head.

"I was coming out of the council tent and an apprentice shaman told me Gallia was very pleased with your healing work," Dehak said, letting himself smile more even though he had his arms crossed. His resting expression was always dour, so he made sure to let Bree know that he wasn't, well... dour.

"She also told me Gallia's going to assign you to my Hoof?"

DragonSong

"Um...yes." Bree glanced to her brother, then back to the stallion, arms wrapped loosely around her middle. "Yes, she said she would. Is that...alright?"

DaGlobster

He rest his hands on his "hips", trying to look friendly.

"If you're as good as she says you are then I'd be honored to have you," he said. He stepped a bit closer and ran a hand through his hair, sighing.

"I'm starved. Are you hungry?"

DragonSong

"I'm, uh, I'm fine, actually--"

Her stomach cut her off with a loud gurgle and she blushed. Ka laughed, though when she shot him a glare he tried to cover it with a cough.

"I am a little hungry, I guess," Bree admitted with a sigh.

DaGlobster

That cracked Dehak a bit and he had a bit of a chuckle along with Ka, and motioned to himself as he started to backpedal.

"The stew is fresh and the drinks are cool. No reason to not want them," he said in a lighter tone.

"And even if you're not a warrior, you need to keep your strength up."

DragonSong

"Right. Thanks."

Bree huffed out a breath and gave her brother a nod. "C'mon then, let's go."

Ka immediately popped to his feet, then hesitated, looking to Dehak a little nervously.

DaGlobster

He was right to be nervous, Dehak hadn't quite accepted him yet, even if he was playing nice for Bree's sake.

"Yeah, you too," he said, and he smirked a bit.

"Not going to starve you, if that's what you're worried about."

He turned about, heading back out into the evening air as he waited for her.

DragonSong

"Uh...alright then." Exchange a quick glance with his sister, Ka nodded and followed the two centaurs out of the tent. He and Bree walked side by side, his arm resting companionably on her whithers.

Neither of them needed to mention it, but it was also an optimal position should he need to jump onto her back for a quick getaway.

DaGlobster

"I'm glad you spent your day well. One of my own was in the tents that day and Gallia said you helped many," Dehak said.

As they approached the common tent closest to Bree's tent (the same one as last time), the smell of food and sounds of revelry started to come into the forefront.

"Me, personally... I could use a drink and something hot in my stomach," he said.

DragonSong

"I'm starving," Ka agreed with enthusiasm, though Bree kept silent. She shot her brother a quick look, who returned it with innocently upturned eyebrows and a little shrug.

DaGlobster

"Speaking of you, Ka," Dehak said as he looked back.

"I know today was uneventful for you, but the elders are eager to see your talent. Tomorrow, you'll go to the river with some scouts," he said as they approached the tent. He stopped outside of the entrance to keep speaking.

"It runs very thin now, it's frozen further up north as winter's going to be setting in soon. If anybody can get some good water from it, it's you."

DragonSong

"Oh." Ka blinked, and his hand resting on Bree's whithers curled into a tight fist. She leaned against his side slightly, a quiet reassurance, and he nodded. "Right. Yeah, no problem."

He hoped. The only time he'd really used his magic had been...explosive, to say the least. Not to mention fueled by a grief and rage so powerful and terrifying that he fervently hoped he'd never experience it again.

DaGlobster

Dehak saw the tightening of his hand and filed that away.

"But that's tomorrow's work. Tonight, we drink!" he said, letting himself lighten up as he lifted the tent's large flap and went inside, turning about to hold it open for them.

Once again, the common tent was busy with centaurs. Not as much as last time, but there was still a decent number. They were serving cuts of meat wrapped in cooked field grasses, alongside wide wooden cups filled with a dark, foamy liquid. Dehak was too hungry to even wait politely for Bree or Ka so he just went straight for it.

DragonSong

With no other real option, Bree and Ka followed after him. When he brother tried to swipe one of the frothy mugs Bree smacked his hand away, but aside from that they managed to get their food and shuffle away from the main throng of serving with little incident.

DaGlobster

If they passed up on the drink, they'd find that it was quite literally the only one available. Dehak didn't have the same trepidation as he got himself a full meal. He found a nice, unoccupied spot and posted up there, setting his drink and meat down on one of the small, high tables scattered about the tent.

It was obvious he'd been looking forwards to dinner.

DragonSong

Still not entirely sure what else they could do, Bree led Ka after him and placed her own food down on the edge of the table, her eyes darting around the crowded space warily every few moments.

Ka seemed more relaxed, clambering up onto her back as she turned and twisted slightly so he could use her as a seat to reach the table while they both ate.

DaGlobster

"You should have a drink, it'll soothe those nerves," Dehak said, ever blunt and curt with his words. However, he seemed to consider them even as he'd said it. His face softened, and he searched for Bree's eyes to hold her attention. He had a persistently analytical look to his eyes, hinting to a sharpness buried beneath all the muscle and bravado.

He followed her gaze to where she was looking, and then looked back to her. All around them were centaurs relaxing after a day. There was a centaur fresh from the surgeon's drinking off the pain next to a group of eager young colts making merry together. Warriors and mothers with their children. Everybody ate in the common tents it seemed.

"If it's too crowded, we can eat outside." he said, smiling just the slightest.

"Besides, I wanted to ask you more about the desert, and it's loud in here."