Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Family Ties (Dauphin DaGlobster)

Started by DragonSong, November 03, 2016, 01:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"I don't drink," Bree responded to him bluntly, though her voice was still soft. When Dehak suggested that they leave the tent however, she couldn't help herself from heaving a quick, sharp sigh before she nodded.

"Not sure there's much to tell about the desert," Ka noted with a lopsided grin. "Mostly it's just sand and sun."

DaGlobster

"Well, it's something I've never seen," Dehak continued, picking up his food and his drink and turning about. He motioned ahead of himself, indicating for Bree to go on ahead of him.

"I'm sure it's all good and mundane for you, but I've only ever seen plains grasses and the occasional tree."

DragonSong

A little warily, the mare paced ahead of him. She wasn't entirely sure she liked having him at her back. But Ka was relaxed, twisting to address the other centaur.

"I mean, the oasis is nice enough, but the desert is pretty much...this. Just with sand instead of grass. And even less water."

DaGlobster

"I see," Dehak said. He was trying to actually have a conversation, but he found himself a little deflated. The desert sounded miserable.

"What kind of beasts does it hold?" he asked, catching up to walk next to Bree once they were outside.

DragonSong

"I mean I guess the Glass Desert is supposed to be pretty, in a cut-you-to-ribbons-if-you-fuck-up kind of way-- oh! Beasts." Ka titled his head, cut off in his ramblings by Dehak's question.

"Sand worms," Bree said bluntly, a small shudder running through her body. "Lots of nomadic tribes, though it's rare to run into them."

"Oh, and lions," Ka added, almost beaming. "Man, when we escaped the estate we got halfway through the oasis that first night, and this whole pride was just hanging out at the watering hole when we woke up--"

"Tani." Bree twisted her neck to give him a stern look. "I'm sure he doesn't care about the lions."

DaGlobster

Dehak knew a story when he heard one, so he pressed the issue, despite Bree's objection. Oh, he was definitely going to ask what a sand worm was as well, but before that...

"And how did you escape the lions?" Dehak asked, taking another swig from his drink.

DragonSong

Ka stifled a chuckle and Bree flushed, her freckles standing out sharply against blotchy red cheeks. "We hauled ass is how," the young human replied. "Gods I've never seen Bree run so fast, she was terrified-- and the lions didn't even care! They were just sunning themselves, watched us go like it was the last thing on their minds."

DaGlobster

"I reckoned you could go pretty fast on those light legs of yours," Dehak said, almost like an observation, then he looked to Bree's face, smirking a little when he saw how flushed she was.

"What is a lion, anyways?"

DragonSong

Light legs? Was— was that an insult or a compliment? Neither?

Bree knew absolutely nothing of centaur culture, and she had no idea how to contextualize Dehak's words. All she managed to do was mumble, "I—I'm pretty fast..."

Ka was more concerned with his question. "You don't know what a look is?" The teenager blinked, looking gobsmacked. "They uh...well, they're these bigs cats, sort of...like what wolves are to a hunting dog?"

DaGlobster

It had been a compliment, in this case. Dehak always did prefer mares with lighter frames.

"We don't get any cats out here, big or small. Just tribesmen, wolves, and dragons," Dehak said, alternating between looking at Bree and Ka.

Then, he stepped a little closer, curiosity bringing forth another question.

"In Essyrn, were you the only centaur?"

DragonSong

"Oh, um, yes." Bree rubbed at her arms and glanced down toward the ground as she shifted her hooves. "At least, I never saw any others. And our— our master... I was exotic enough to give him prestige. Bragging rights for his centaur slave."

Though her voice was even, almost mechanical, Ka's face suddenly clouded and he looked down, clenching his hands into fists at his sides.

DaGlobster

It wasn't hard to miss the tension that went through them, and Dehak frowned a bit.

"He learned that centaurs are, and always will be a free people. We cannot be held or contained," he said, nodding a little.

"And you are here now, with your people," he offered, trying his best at a warm smile.

DragonSong

"Ah...yes." Bree cleared her throat as she looked around, for some reason finding herself unable to meet his eyes. "Yes, I-- I suppose I am..."

Ka was quiet, but his hand came to settle on her whithers, just where her human waist blended into her horse half, in an automatic gesture of comfort.

DaGlobster

Dehak nodded, noting how Ka comforted her.

"If you feel otherwise, there is nothing keeping you here," Dehak said, again trying to find her eyes.

"You talked to the healers and you're joining my hoof, but I don't want you to feel like you're being forced to be here, to do things you don't want to," he continued.

DragonSong

"I--" She paused, glancing from the stallion to her brother, then dipped her head slowly in acknowledgement. "I appreciate that. Really."

But where else could they go? True, this place wasn't exactly comfortable, but it was the best chance of safety they'd had in a long time.

DaGlobster

"I know it's not what you chose, but I've got hope that you'll learn to call this place your home. And its people your friends," he said.

He finished off his food and stretched his arms.

"I think you'll find we're very relaxed and liberated here. Nobody hides much from anyone else," he continued.

DragonSong

Bree just nodded, not really sure what she could say. She wouldn't pretend to be comfortable here, but she didn't want to make trouble either.

And maybe he was right. Maybe she would...get used to it.

"What, no one has secrets?" Ka cut in, arching an eyebrow. "That seems a little hard to believe, I'm gonna be honest."

DaGlobster

"I'm not saying nobody's got any secrets or privacy, we're just very open around here," Dehak said to Ka, even as a group of centaurs passed them. One of the mares in the group was just straight up topless as she walked, and nobody paid her any extra mind as if it was completely normal.

DragonSong

Coming from Essyrn, neither Ka nor Bree seemed all that perturbed by the topless mare, and Ka just quirked an eyebrow at Dehak.

"If you say so," he replied with a shrug. "Long as there's no secret society we're accidentally joining or something.

"Tani," Bree warned, shooting a quick glare at him over her shoulder.

DaGlobster

Dehak's only experience with human culture was with Serenians and Adelans, and thus that was his frame of reference.

"Easy, Bree. He's just joking, I hope," Dehak said, and he looked at Ka, then back to her.

"So, I think I'll turn in for the night, but I'll see you both in the morning. You both remember what you're doing?"