Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Family Ties (Dauphin DaGlobster)

Started by DragonSong, November 03, 2016, 01:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Ka just did as he was told, curling his fingers around the shoulders of her armor and hanging on with his legs as they sped up.

"I, um... No, I haven't" Bree replied as she set off after Dehak, maintaining just a slight, careful distance.

Javelins?

DaGlobster

"Gotta say, never thought I'd be getting used to having a human around," The other female scout said, and Messia spared her a glance.

"Well, the elders think he can help us get water, Yani. You know how much we need that."

"Well, there's fruits in the bowl and water in the pitcher," he said as he stepped over to where he kept his gear and fished out his javelin bag. Within the room there was a rack that held his weapons and armor (and all five of his javelins), a small table that held a clay bowl and jug, and his bed. There was also a collection of three elegant looking swords, all laid out and set onto crude stands. Conspicuously enough, one of the stands was empty.

DragonSong

"I, um...should be able to do that," Ka mumbled, keeping his head lowered. All of the bluster he held around his foster sisters seemed to fade away in her absence.

"Ah...thank you." Bree picked her way forward cautiously and plucked up an apple, munching on it quietly. She racked her brain desperately for something to say as she looked around and finally managed, "That's a, um, lot of weapons."

She winced. Really? That's what she came up with?

DaGlobster

"That's reassuring," said Yord, who looked over to Ka.

"And how did you learn to do this? Can you teach it?" He ventured, curious.

Dehak smiled a little at that, and approached the fruit bowl to take a pear out for himself.

"Win many battles, take many prizes," he said, reciting an old saying.

"I like having different ones to practice with. Never hurts to expand ones ability."

DragonSong

"No." Ka shut that question down. Hard. Normally he was a cheerful and friendly enough person, but it seemed that talking about his magic forced him to clam up quickly.

With a sharp exhale, he added, a little softer, "I never actually...learned anything. I can just sort of do it, if I have to."

"Er...right. Of course." Bree took another bite of her apple so she had an excuse not to talk. Goddess, she had no idea what to say to him. It seemed that every time he opened his mouth he just highlighted further how different they were, how the lives they'd lived had apparently given them very fractured views of the world, at least in comparison to one another.

DaGlobster

"Okay, okay!" Yord said, throwing his hands up defensively.

"Don't mind him, he's always been a nosy cack," Messia said, looking back at Ka when she could hear the tension in his voice.

"I was just curious, is all," continued the young stallion. "I know the shaman does magic but I haven't seen it personally," Yord said.

Dehak caught that flash of awkwardness that went through her. He held a javelin in both hands, turning it over in his hands.

"How long have you and your brother been free for?"

DragonSong

"It's... It can be dangerous," Ka muttered in response to that. He felt awkward. Trapped. And considering he was currently riding one of his companions, he didn't exactly have any escape options present. "My magic, anyway. I dunno, maybe human magic is different from the centaur kind."

"Oh." Bree blinked at him, then answered quietly, "Um...a few months. Maybe three? It was sort of hard to keep track of the time while we were in the desert..."

DaGlobster

"Our shaman mostly heals people," Messia started, and tapped her chin. Halla, the other female scout, still wearing her hood and cloth mask over her mouth, caught up to speak easier.

"I saw the human shaman once. Back before I wasn't in a hoof so they only let me have a bow. I've never seen our shaman shoot spikes of ice like he did," she said, and Yord shook his head.

"Is there a difference, though?" he said, and all the centaurs were quiet.

Was there?...

Dehak tried his best to be casual around her, but she seemed unnerved by nearly everything. Anyways, he motioned for her to come along and stepped outside. The chill of the approaching winter was already here and Dehak motioned to his saddlebags.

"I got extra furs, if you're cold. I don't know if it ever snowed in the desert," he said, a little honestly but but mostly as a joke. It really could've snowed there, for all he knew.

The rest of the Bloody Brays camp around them was clearly feeling the winter. It was clear that supplies were harsh and the climate even more so, and despite that it had been nearly a month since the last meaningful raids. The last of their captives had been set free and run off by now, so it was a quiet atmosphere where everyone worked towards what they had to do.

Young to old, everyone contributed to keeping the tribe fed and defended, and it gave the entire a place a desperate atmosphere, like the injured throes of a people burning as brightly as the can to try and avoid their looming decline.

"Come on, the targets are set up a little ways from camp, about a minute's run," he said, and got moving at a trot.

"I'm confident your brother can help us with the river. Getting that water flowing is going to do a lot of good round here," he said, and there was some genuine hope in his voice.

DragonSong

"I mean...there are human mages that heal too," Ka mumbled, "but I'm not really--I don't really know. I was never exactly trained to use mine, it just sort of...happens."

He shifted awkwardly on Messia's back. Maybe he shouldn't have said that? The only reason these people seemed to be tolerating him was because they thought his magic could be of use to them, he was pretty sure.

Bree shivered slightly as a sharp wind cut across the plains, blowing her hair into her face while she followed a few paces behind and just beside Dehak. "He'll certainly do his best," she replied quickly to his comment about Ka helping with the river.

She and her brother both new that his magic was volatile. But nothing too bad had happened in the months they'd been trekking through the desert. He'd even managed to find water to keep them alive on more than one occasion with his magic.

So everything would be fine. Right?

Another breeze swirled around her and Bree wrapped her arms tight around herself, shivering again. Though her build suggested that she was perhaps more suited to this sort of climate than that of Essyrn, it didn't change the fact that she'd grown up in the heat, and the plains' dip toward winter was clearly a foreign sensation to her.

DaGlobster

"Hmm," Messia said, thoughtful.

"Well, the water's all there, just frozen. I don't think you'll have too hard of a time," she finally said, glancing back at him with an optimistic look on her face.

Because Stallion Father above, they needed that water. They weren't a terribly advanced people but everything from healing to blacksmithing to just pure survival depended on it.

Dehak would glance backwards every once in a while to check on Bree, and while he knew for a fact she could handle this kind of cold (what kind of centaur couldn't?) he couldn't quite stand seeing her shiver like that forever. He paused and took the heavy furs off of himself, leaving him bare-chested.

He held the furs back to her wordlessly, but he offered it up with an understanding smile.

"Not quite what you're used to, hm?"

DragonSong

"Er...Frozen. Right. I'm sure I can...work with that."

Goddess above, ice? Katahn had literally never seen ice in his life. He dearly hoped the centaur was right.

Though there was a part of him that was honestly just curious, too.

"Oh." Bree blinked at the offered furs, then took them slowly. "Um...thank you. No, I'm really not very used to this," she admitted with a tiny attempt at a chuckle. She wrapped herself tightly, settling a bit when the shivers stopped wracking her frame.

Then she frowned. "Won't, um...won't you be cold though?"

DaGlobster

"Well, the water's under there somewhere," Yord offered, and Cassia nodded.

Dahli, the other scout cut in with a scoff.

"If only we could spare the horsepower. Can barely get out of the camp these days, with all the raids..."

"Cold never bothered me much," Dehak said, although he was still wearing a fur vest beneath the cloak that he'd given her.

They came up on an area near the forest's edge where the sides of trees had been stripped and made into makeshift targets. There was even targets at varying distances.

He took a javelin from his bag and made sure it was straight.

"You know, the herd seems pretty welcoming of you. You've got a kickass vouch from me, of course. We've never met a centaur from another tribe before, so human or not, folks are curious."

DragonSong

Ka swallowed nervously at that. Raids. Right.

A reminder to stay on everyone's good side, he supposed.

"Like I said, I'll do what I can," he repeated, a little louder, hoping he sounded confident. "I sort of...accidentally...flooded our old master's estate. So. I know I can do things, it's just...controlling it."

Bree snorted, then immediately flushed and flicked her eyes away. She drew her bow as he started examining his javelin, mock-drawing a few times to make sure the cold wouldn't tighten the string.

"I'm used to folks being curious," she murmured. "Folks being curious is why I was in Essyrn to being with, I think." In a single, smooth motion she straightened up, nocked, drew, and fired.

Her arrow hit dead center.

She smiled.

DaGlobster

At the mention of flooding, the scouts looked about at each other. Yord even managed an impressed rise of his eyebrow. He trotted up to Cassia and gave Ka a pat on the shoulder.

"There's no love for masters here. You did well, Ka," Yord said, and Cassia just nodded, shifting her weight around on her hooves to settle Ka's weight a little more comfortably.

Then, Yord stood so his shoulder was in line with Ka's and pointed towards the river.

"Don't worry about control. We just need a crack, or a hole. Just enough to get to the water."

"Perhaps," Dehak answered, pausing in his assessment of his javelin to watch her take her shot. Barely even a blink later and she hit the target at the center of the stripped tree. Dehak didn't quite show it, but he was impressed. And yet, her words visibly softened him somewhat.

"I can't pretend to understand... I've never left the herd. I thought the Brays were the beginning and the end, but...."

He raised his javelin, lined up the shot with his arms, and took aim at a cut log with a beat-up breastplate strapped to it. With a snap of his arm, the javelin sailed true and punched straight through the breastplate and into the log behind it.

Dehak smirked, and gave his shoulder a roll.

"Thunderhooves, Plains Runners, Stonemane, it doesn't matter what herd your ancestors may have came from, or what happened to you in the past..." he said. He slid another javelin out of the bag on his side and turned his gaze to meet Bree's. He matched her smile.

"There's just open plains in front of you now, nothing but your own trail behind you."

DragonSong

Ka swallowed thickly, still clearly nervous, but he nodded. "Right. Okay. Right..."

Closing his eyes, he reached in, reached deep, hoping to call up just a spark of power. Just a crack, just a little break. That was all. That was all...

Before them, the water seemed to churn, then went unnaturally still.

Then Ka gasped, eyes flying open, glowing, and the river exploded.

"Mmm..." She didn't disagree. She didn't say much of anything, really, just watched him. "As far as I'm concerned, the trail can stay behind me," she murmured eventually, drawing back another arrow.

Thwip. Thud.

"I'm just trying to get my brother somewhere safe." Notch. Draw. Loose. "To be safe."

Her last arrow slanted a little, caught on a sudden burst of wind. She frowned and lifted her head toward the change in the air, instinctively trying to track it.