Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Reforge a Kingdom From the Past, One Looks to the Future (Open)

Started by Marakai Trin, December 11, 2016, 08:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marakai Trin

Marakai shook his head at the man across the way. "I am no more a man than she is, to tell the truth. I warn you because some otherworldly entity stands directly beside you."

It was then that he noticed Axia's reaction to the memory transfer, and he looked at her with concern, the glow in his eyes dimming perceptively as he looked her over. "I'm very sorry, little one. I should have anticipated the consequences of such an action, but it's not something I have often done." He moved in front of her, placing his face directly before hers, gently taking her head in his hands. Were her eyes open, she would plainly see the concern on his face.

"What you're feeling will pass very soon, I promise. I'm very sorry, Axia..." he said softly. "As soon as you're okay to move, I'll take you down into the Aerie to rest."

Bunbun

Axia remained in her state of unresponsiveness until Marakai once again touched her head, to which she reacted by pulling back a little. It was more out of pure reflex than anything- she still hadn't reached the point where she was entirely sure what was going on- but not enough to entirely break his grip. Slowly, her breathing returned to a healthy rate as the other dragon attempted to calm her down, assuring her that the side effects of the transfer wouldn't last for long. She wasn't in any danger, everything was going to be okay. At this point, if Marakai was observant, he might notice a faint light dancing across the younger dragon's scales before fading as soon as they'd arisen.

"O-okay..."

The dragon muttered weakly, not at all certain about what she was agreeing to, and nowhere near strong enough to argue. Finally, her eyes began to flutter open, immediately squinting as they adjusted to their improved capabilities. She found herself staring straight into the eyes of Marakai, who was clearly worried about her. She also caught a glimpse of something shimmering in the distance, which was most likely the 'presence' that she'd been told about. Whatever it was.

Marakai Trin

He noticed the subtle light travelling over the surface of her scales, following it with his gaze for a moment before returning to her eyes. He then saw that her gaze had moved beyond him, to look back towards the man and the vague figure beside him.

"There.... you see it now, don't you?" he murmured, standing straight and turning around, stepping to stand beside her once again, looking in the distance. "It's a ghost, or some other kind of spirit...." he said, loudly enough only for her to hear. His eyes once again took on that brilliant glow, illuminating his face even through the light of the sun.

"....it appears to have once been female, but I can't make out any details past that. Shall we wait and see what happens, or shall I take you below?"

Ice

The ghostly woman was just watching the events transpire in front of her. It seemed that she was noticed when the strange man and the dragon came to apparently confront the other man. She was not certain what she she should do at this point. Istema might be evil and all that but she wasn't stupid. She would never take on such dangerous creatures. She had met a dragon once when she was living. She knew how powerful they could be.

As she stood there listening she decided that perhaps she should allow the other man who had not saw her to do so. It was only right after all. So slowly she revealed herself to the living world. She looked at the three creature and frowned very softly.

" I don't mean any harm. I am just a lost soul looking for the one who killed me. Im sorry if I upset any of you." She told them with a soft sigh. It was true that she wanted to find her killer. But she also hated the living. Though really who could blame her. It was their fault that she was trapped her.

Bunbun

"I'll be fine for a little while, I think. I... I don't want to leave yet."

Axia forced a smile onto her face, as well as giving a nod of assurance. Her condition was noticeably improving at a rapid pace, though her voice retained a certain quality of exhaustion. She was pushing herself to stay awake, both because she didn't want Marakai to worry and also because the new ghostly figure was fascinating to her. If she was going to have to deal with the unpleasant side effects of... whatever had just happened, then she might as well make use of its benefits.

Although, it appeared that the dragon wouldn't have to use her improved senses for long, as the previously hidden character decided to show herself of her own volition. The elder dragon had been correct in saying that the spirit was female, which was something that Axia would never had guessed on her own. Evidently, she would need more practice.

"Oh, you haven't done anything wrong. We're not upset."

Well, at least she wasn't upset. She hadn't considered the feelings of the others on this particular issue.

"My name's Axia. What's yours?"

Gawfy

Well if Alder wasnt confused before he sure was now. He looked over his shoulder again and again and saw nothing, Yet he they where supposedly talking to a woman near him. He Was pondering in thought when he stepped a step to the left. After talking said step he could make out what looked like a pale woman. He stepped back and he couldn't See her. He stepped left and made her out again.
Alder kept repeating this process

Marakai Trin

Marakai sent a small smile Axia's way, and nodded. "Very well, then." It was odd - after so long with little contact with other Dragons, he was beginning to feel a sense of kinship with this little one, a strange feeling of protectiveness like one might to a child. But he also knew that he mustn't overstep his bounds - Axia likely had a purpose in mind for her travels, and Marakai was loathed to stop her.

He then noticed that the spirit had finally made herself clearly visible, rendering his transferring of power a useless exercise. Well...it was what it was. No use being irritated about it.

"...do you perhaps know who it is you seek? I doubt you will find much here - naught much more than wild dragons around this area, after so long."

He then watched the man's antics, appearing as if he was still trying to see the spirit, despite her current visibility. He arched a brow, but said nothing.

Ice

Istema was watching the group now. She looked at the female dragon as she spoke to her. Well at least one of them was not upset with her. She looked at her with her glowing green eyes and softly smiled. " I am istema. " She said to her.
She then turned her attention to the man who was with the dragon. She sighed softly getting a bit of a said look on her face.

" I know it was a woman who killed me. I had heard that she had been traveling this direction. That is why I whent this way." She told him softly. She glanced at the other man. It seemed that some mortals had trouble seeing her no matter what. It was very odd to her. But she decided to keep quiet about this for now.

Bunbun

"Istema... you're not planning on doing anything drastic when you catch up to her, are you? I don't want to have a part in someone getting hurt."

The spirit hadn't gone into much detail regarding what exactly she planned to do once she found her killer. However, it didn't take much to speculate that Istema wasn't just going to be asking some questions. From stories that the dragon had been told quite a few times over, she knew that this kind of situation tended to end in bloodshed- possibly even death. She couldn't just let the possibility of another person being killed to slip past without raising any objections, though truthfully she couldn't do much to stop the ghost. Not only was Istema incorporeal, but the dragon was in no condition to be fighting.

Instead, she took to finding out whatever she could be listening and observing. Carefully, she began to walk in a wide arc around the woman, picking out any details she could find. As it turned out, there wasn't much to be found- any clues to what may have lead to her death were either hidden or non-existent. Spurred on by her own determination, Axia attempted to do as she had seen Marakai do and focus her senses to search for anything she might have missed. Of course, since this was something that she'd never done before, it resulted in nothing more than the resurgence of the symptoms she'd been feeling before. Gods, it was frustrating.

Marakai Trin

Marakai focused for a moment on Axia. Having already established the connection before, speaking to her mentally was easier, and far less intrusive. His voice came quietly, this time, almost a whisper so as not to startle her.

Worry not, little one. There's nothing you can't see that I can, unless she's trying to hide something else. You need not speak to reply - only focus on me, and voice your words in your own head. I'll hear you.

Perhaps he could teach this little one a few of the ancient tricks of Dragonkind, if she was willing.

Make your way back over here... you're....being a little weird. Heh.

He looked away from her, but kept the connection open to allow her reply. His gaze fell on the spirit before them. "Perhaps if you search for someone in particular, it would be more fruitful elsewhere. Unless you're wanting something else....?"

Bunbun

Axia's 'investigation' was put to an early (and probably well-justified) stop as Marakai's voice once again made its way into her head. He assured her that she wasn't overlooking anything, and instructed her on how to communicate using thoughts rather than speaking aloud. Eager to test it out, she locked her eyes onto the other dragon and followed the instructions as best she could. There was nothing at first, but eventually her voice would fade in until the point where it was clearly audible.

...c'mon...c'mon... Hello? Is it working? Hmm...

She cocked her head to the side, somewhat confused about the intricacies of using telepathy. This didn't last for long, though, as her curiosity was replaced by moodiness when she was told to return to her original position. The dragon did so reluctantly, moving sluggishly across the rocks until she was once again standing beside Marakai. She took to staring down at one of her claws, which dragged absently against the ground. Obviously she was sulking about something, though it wasn't always easy to tell with her.

Marakai Trin

Marakai gave a small chuckle as Axia came to stand beside him. He spoke aloud this time, giving a nod.

"Yes, I was able to hear you perfectly. Everything you voice mentally must be completely deliberate, however - try to keep your mind clear, and imagine your internal voice to be as loud as your verbal one."

He noted how she was moving rather slowly as she made her way back, and tilted his head to the side slightly, his look questioning. She seemed to be bothered by something, but he wasn't sure what.

What is wrong, little one? he asked mentally, his face still wearing a curious look, You seem... disappointed? Is something the matter?

Bunbun

The dragon brightened up a little when she heard that her attempt at communicating telepathically had been a successful one. Her expression quickly transitioned from one of disappointment to her usual one of curiosity, or perhaps confusion. She went silent in thoughtfulness- presumably trying to come up with an appropriate answer to Marakai's question- before her eyes suddenly began to shift nervously between Istema and Alder. Eventually, they would come to rest as they met with the other dragon's, and Axia spoke using her thoughts once more.

Marakai... do you think I'm, well, strange? Different from the other dragons, I mean.

She answered his question with her own, being pretty vague as she did so. It was entirely possible that this particular topic was not one that she felt comfortable discussing in detail in front of other people, even if they couldn't actually hear what was being said.

Marakai Trin

Marakai quirked a brow for a moment, and turned back from her to look at the two across the way.

Truthfully, all Dragons he'd come across since his reawakening had seemed strange, but that was because most of the species he'd come across hadn't even existed in his time.

I couldn't possibly say. To tell you the truth, I've only been awake for little more than half a year. After a great battle between myself and another, I fell into a hibernation of sorts.

Marakai looked to her from the corner of one eye, his face rather grim.
That was over ten thousand years ago, or so I'm told. I've met only one other from those days...all other Dragons are vastly changed from the way I remember them to be...so, in a way, I'd have to say yes, though that is because most all Dragons seem that way to me. So, I must ask you to clarify. Strange how, Axia?

Bunbun

...Um, well... you know. My scales? My size? The way I... act? I mean, I'm not really the same as the other dragons that I lived with. It would be incredibly easy to pick me out of a crowd, even one made up of members of my own species. But, I guess that's not really a fair question for me to ask if you don't have anything to compare me to. Sorry.

Axia's fascination was once again sparked when Marakai mentioned how long he had been away for. Dragons certainly had a tendency to live for a very long time, but to sleep for ten thousand years? It was a little hard to believe, but Axia had never really been one to doubt the words of others. She scanned over the other dragon's body, searching for any remnants that might have still persisted from the ancient past- she acted almost is if she was meeting Marakai for the first time. At one point, her eyes came to a rest as her gaze landed on the massive sword. Either she was imagining things, or that was one of the swords she'd seen in the vision that had supposedly taken place thousands of years ago. Yet, it looked sharp enough to have been forged a few days ago. It was a wonder that the blade still existed, but being reminded of the vision gave Axia a few other questions to think about.

That battle you were talking about... that's the one I saw in the memory you shared, right?

There was a pause as the dragon briefly averted her gaze. It seemed as if she was afraid to bring up such a touchy subject.

...You don't have to answer this one if you don't want to, but... who was the person that you were fighting against?

Marakai Trin

Marakai flinched at her words, and remained silent for a moment, still staring forward. His gaze hardened at the memory, and his eyes began to burn brightly again. When he projected to her again, the voice that would sound in her mind would be strained. Hard. Perhaps a little broken.

Yes....that battle was actually that which destroyed this place.

He was silent for a moment longer, hesitant at first to further his response. His head lowered a bit, black and red strands of hair falling forward to cover his eyes. This time, his words coming quietly, really no more than a whisper.

The one I fought in that memory....he was my elder brother. Kranath Trin. He's...well, he's not the only one in his own head. He's....the avatar of Tiamat.

One could hear the pain in his voice, even if Axia was the only one to hear it.Listen well, Axia. I killed him once, to stop the coming of the Dread Queen. But I've heard tell that he's returned. If you find one with eyes like mine, but isn't me...run, and don't look back.

Bunbun

...Just... run away? You want me to run away, no matter what? But... but what if he tries to do something terrible again? What if he decides to go around killing people? What if he wants to destroy an entire clan- or do something even worse- and there's nobody else there to stop him? I can't just sit there and let something like that happen!

Her voice flared up with emotion, and her scales reacted similarly by glittering with more intensity than they had before. She had very little idea of the forces she would be dealing with if she ever ended up confronting them, but that sure as hell wouldn't stop her from trying. Maybe she would have felt differently if she had actually been around to witness the destruction of the Aerie, but at the same time, perhaps not. The thing that would cause her to falter, however, was the pained look that Marakai now wore across his face. It was enough to make her revert to her previous state of gloominess, the shimmering of her scales coming to an abrupt halt.

...I'm sorry about all that, Marakai. Maybe... maybe I really do need to rest for a little while.

Marakai Trin

Marakai gave Axia a sad smile, and gently laid a hand on her neck. The glow in his eyes dimmed perceptively.

That way of thinking is what got me where I am today, little one. I dedicated most of my early life to hunting him down, no matter what. It cost me everything. It cost me my chance to live for anything other than the hunt. It cost me a second family. It cost me my mate, and it cost me ten thousand years....you remind me of myself, little one. Some would think this was admirable....but I don't think that's the path for you.

His smile faded, then, replaced with a more serious look.

Just... understand this. Kranath isn't someone that any one creature should ever take on alone....I don't want to take him alone, either. It very nearly cost me my life before...but I have an idea to prepare for him. It involves this place...and other Dragons, such as yourself.

He turned then to look at the ruined stones littered around them, remembering again their previous majesty.

But before that....I think that maybe I should take you inside, yes? Those two seem preoccupied with other things - let me show you what remains of this place, and find you a place to rest yourself.

Gawfy

Alder then stopped walking back and forth and attempted to put his hand on the Ghosts cheek. Huh a ghost, Well ill be dammed im seeing every thing today He said out loud to himself

Tags: