Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Empty Vessel (Closed)

Started by CyclicalCycal, December 12, 2016, 04:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CyclicalCycal

"I understand." Enthis replied, going to unsheathe his spear. He pointed it forwards, using it to guide the way. Mainly because it was the only thing that Kranath would be able to see from his position. "Go...in that direction, for now..." He said, peering over the side of the dragon, looking for the landmarks to guide his way.

Marakai Trin

Kranath noticed the spear, and turned to travel in that direction, body tilting slightly to compensate. With a great flap of his wings, he picked up speed.

How far do we need to fly? And is there anything im looking for? I don't want to fly aimlessly in the desert for days, searching for something you can't find.

(Woo, SotE is alive again!!!)

CyclicalCycal

"Well, I would have expected to walk for days. I expect to fly for hours. Expect being a key word. I am looking for a few...landmarks...to guide our way. An oasis with three trees, a large rock that vaguely resembles a mace, if you look at it in a specific way, and an abandoned village." Enthis explained. "It should be simple enough, aye?"

Wrathwyrm

As the journey got underway, there appeared to be some question of their host's ability to find the place they were looking for.  Specifically, he was dependent on some vague understanding of landmarks...in a desert, a gigantic pile of shifting sand.  It was to laugh, and so he did.  Garlock would be heard to chuckle at Enthis and his 'directions'.

"Come now, spear man...  Don't you ever use one of those things for measuring distances?  They're...shit, I forgot the name...but it's used for mapping out places in relation to the sun and points in the sky.  They use 'em on ships!"

You mean a...sextant?

CyclicalCycal

"I am literally broke. I have nothing but this spear, this armour, and some scrolls of the faithful and the heretics. I cannot afford a map, sextant, or other navigational tool." Enthis explained, with a ragged sigh. "Besides, my life's work revolves around this vessel and damned if navigation is going to screw me up."

"...additionally, I've walked the path to those we are hunting multiple times. You'd find it surprising what sticks out after a few dozen trips."

Marakai Trin

Kranath would have quirked a brow if he currently had one, but as he was now he'd have to settle with an incredulous statement.

Wait...you've been this way time and time again, but this still isn't done? You've been to this place several times before - why do you need us now?

Below, the dunes flowed past and begin them in their flight, their aerial travel cutting down copius amounts of time.

In the distance, the sharp eyes of Kranath were able to pick out the glinting of sunlight upon a mirrored surface. He could barely pick out the outline of three tall, thin palm trees placed around it.

...your oasis is coming up soon. Do I continue in this direction?

CyclicalCycal

"I cannot kill ten, twenty people, on my own." Enthis replied, bluntly. "Some of us are not dragons, or a demiurge, or a master of magic. All I am is good with a spear." He explained. In his opinion, it was a rather reasonable explanation. The others may not see it that way.

"Turn...ninety degrees to the left." He mumbled.

"And, time runs short." He continued. "I would much rather have more time to plan, but the stars are aligning. The conjunction grows nearer, and it frightens me. So, I need you."

Gawfy

So awfully nice of you to invite us to save the world and potentially get rich at the same time old man. Alder said. He wasnt quite sure what he was getting out of this, He did not seem the chivalrous type that would save the world because he was the only one who could. Alder started to hold some suspicions

Wrathwyrm

The spearman essentially explained that he had nothing and no power to accomplish his task, only some bare understandings and an idea on how to proceed.  Garlock idly wondered if Enthis knew how he was going to pay everyone here.  He assumed there would be loot waiting, either accrued from intruders and from the Faithful's personal belongings or...some kind of ancient stash.  He could have been wrong, though.  Not that this was an issue with Garlock, himself.  The magus tended to think that this would be fun and that he would gain or learn something of use that money could not buy.  At the very least, the world would be safe for him to go around, killing things, again.  Then, a funny thought occurred...

"One thing, Pointy Stick.  These men are called the Faithful, and it seems like we may paint the walls with their blood.  Tell me something...  Is an angry god likely to descend for descecrating his holy site with our Death Parade?"

CyclicalCycal

"Aha! A common misconception. The faithful are faithful about their vessel. Faith is not inherent to gods. The vessel in and of itself is nothing but a husk. It's effectively worthless. They want it to fill with...

...something. I don't know."

Enthis nodded, thinking this an apt description of Garlock's concerns. He then paused, adding something.

"Oh, and, as I said...all treasures are promised to you all. I want none of it."

Marakai Trin

Kranath banked the turn as instructed. So then, I assume your group is meant only to oppose them. If this is accomplished, what will it mean for you, if this had been all you've worked towards?

CyclicalCycal

"Guard the damn thing so that nobody gets it in their head to-to fill it." He mumbled, in response. "I like this world. I don't want it to end. I assume that a vast, staggering majority would agree with me."

Marakai Trin

Could you not simply destroy it? Surely that would be easier than standing guard over it until the end of time. Though I suppose you'd have reasons against that, as well....

The landscape below continued to speed by, and Kranath was able to see in the distance a large black stone, standing alone amongst the dunes.

Is that your 'mace'?

Wrathwyrm

Well, it was good to know that some vengeful deity wasn't going to bring plagues upon the world for causing death and mayhem within the walls of his holy place.  Or demonic place.  Or whatever.  You never could tell with gods.  They weren't all good.  Even the most devout paladin knows that.  Of course, there was another issue or two here...

"Well, I have little use for actual money.  Should there be something with a little power in it, I would find that interesting, of course.  However...I'm inclined to agree with our dragon friend here.  Why not blow it up?  It should be possible for us.  Look."

He pointed his hand towards the ground and fired out a beam of ice towards the passing sand dunes, creating frigid ice upon them in a long line as they went along.

"It has never snowed here, but I could cover the landscape in ice.  Our ride personally can breathe death.  We have power on our side.  Why not end this quest of yours permanently?  I'm sure you can find something else to do with your life."

CyclicalCycal

"Well...we have not really had a proper chance. If you are able to annihilate the vessel, I'd be eternally grateful. No more...no more worries." Enthis mumbled, nodding. He peered out over the side, watching the ice blast strike the sand, turning it into ice. "I...right." He replied, awed. Enthis truly hadn't comprehended the power his allies wielded.

This demonstration had forced him to.

He thenlaced at the dragon, as he spoke. "Ah, yes...please turn about...fourth degrees to the right."

Marakai Trin

Kranath again turned as instructed. Left, and then right? He wondered why he wasn't simply instructed to move left at a smaller angle at first...it would have again cut down on time, but he didn't voice his concern.

He had more pressing matters to attend to - namely, the mage casting beams of magical ice from a Dragons back.

Watch it, mage, he said, and audibly he hissed with irritation. This dragon was not to be taken lightly, and he meant to show it.

A stunt like that could send us all to the ground, especially if you clip my wing. I would survive, but would you? And if you survived that crash, you wouldn't survive me.

Wrathwyrm

Well, it was good to know that Enthis saw the point when he witnessed the magic that Garlock so casually tossed about.  Of course, the dragon did not appreciate it, even though the magus had been aiming with careful precision to avoid hitting any dragon-y bits.  Suffice to say, he laughed off Kranath's threat.

"I have complete confidence in my abilities, certainly my aim.  But let's not be making any promises you can't keep, for I am not so easily removed from this earth."

The spearman likely didn't have to worry so much about the Faithful, but these two were not so keen on each other, and were getting a little hot under the collar about it.  Garlock had no fear of falling, and he knew some things the dragon did not about himself, things that might surprise it, despite its power.  The question was...would these two lose their temper before reaching the site?

Gawfy

Alder chuckled in the back as every one was snapping at eachother, but he was enjoying the ride none the less. So what time are we prompted to arrive? he asked  Enthis

CyclicalCycal

"At this rate? Soon. Now, please, can I implore both of you to stop your fighting. I do not want any of us to die and you two seem very...capable...of making that happen." He said, nervousness creeping into his voice. "And I doubt we want a fight, especially not up here."

Tags: