Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Tourist Traps

Started by Magyar, December 30, 2016, 09:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magyar

"Yes..." Hvit murmured, "I did. I did what I had to, and much more."

He slithered between blackened tree stumps, the dark scar on the forest stretching maybe a mile before them, though it was only a hundred meters or so across. Some of the trunks fell to dust on his scales, marring them like a black paint. His feet soon became stained with the ash, but he still trudged on.

"I hope you will forgive me."

DragonSong

Another sigh and Melly clenched her eyes shut, hiding her face against his shoulder. "Of course I forgive you," she murmured. "This was my fault, not yours. And you saved me."

Magyar

"Then I thank you," He rumbled quietly, "Not many would do the same. I am afraid that this part of your forest may never be as lush as it once was, at least not in the near future..." Hvittraak let the silence hang and hardened his tone for his next words, though he didn't intend to do so, "I think that when you are healed sufficiently so that you can take proper care of yourself, I will leave. This place is not a welcome one with me here. And though I have done good, namely in saving you, I have done much more harm and not just to the environment."

His steps slowed, and he turned back to stare with one giant eye, saying, "I have hurt you, little bird, without trying to. I do not wish this to become a trend."

DragonSong

The dragoness tensed slightly, but even that small movement made her body ache. She forced herself to raise her head, blinking at him.

"...Okay." She didn't want him to go, her heart twisted at the thought of being alone again- but she didn't know what she could say to him that would convince him to stay.

With a soft breath, she gathered her strength and stretched her neck up to nuzzle his cheek. "It's okay, you know," she murmured quietly. "I know you didn't...you had good reasons."

She sighed and dropped her head back to his shoulders. "It's okay..."

Magyar

Hvit glanced away as she pressed her snout into his cheek. He unconsciously clenched his jaw and began to whip the tip of his tail back and forth.

You don't deserve this.

He sneered at his own thoughts, but on some deeper level, he agreed with them. They were his own sentiments after all... truthfully he didn't want to leave his newly found companion as much as she didn't want him to leave, but he saw no other way.

DragonSong

Not sure what else she could do, at least for now, Melisma started up a soft, rumbling purr, pressing herself a little closer to his body so the vibration traveled easily between them in an unconscious gesture meant to soothe or comfort.

Magyar

Forty more minutes of walking, trudging truly, across the juxtaposed lush jungles and ashen fields and finally, they came near to the ruins. There was a problem, however, and that was how to get in. The entrances were all aerial... except for her treasure hoard. They'd have to take their humanoid forms to access it from there, and even then flight would be necessary. It would be easier to carry her and fly in that shape, but Hvit was unsure if she could sustain a transformation.

"Little bird," He called back to her, "Do you think you could change your shape, or shall we sleep outside your home tonight?"

DragonSong

"Mm?" Melly had begun to doze, and as she lifted her head sleepily, blinking, it took her a few moments to puzzle through his words. "Oh. Oh!"

She nodded. "I can shift, just give me a moment." With a soft, pained grunt, she slid down his side to the ground. Her legs shook and she stumbled, but managed to stay mostly upright. At least, until she closed her eyes and willed her form to change, bracing herself for a sharp pain.

What she got was far more than she anticipated. Her dislocated wing popped and cracked and jerked and she cried out, evey sore and battered muscle in her body protesting the change of shape. She staggered forward and her knees trembled, then gave out, sending her to the ground. The cuts that covered her body burned, two reopening, and she panted as she braced her palms on the ground in front of her.

With a small whimper, she gasped, "I'm not- not changing back...any time soon."

Magyar

Hvit watched Melly's transformation with a wince, and then alarm. He changed shape beside her and quickly moved to put a hand on her shoulder.

"Come now, little bird," he said, "Can you stand? If you can do that, I can carry you the rest of the way."

DragonSong

"I- I think so." She took a breath and pushed herself up to her feet with a wince and and a quiet whimper that she quickly tried to swallow.

Without firnor feathers, the gashes that now decorated her body were much clearer, as were the dark bruises that edged the torn flesh. She glanced down at herself with another wince, arms wrapping loosely around her middle.

Magyar

He quite literally swept her off her feet, taking her knees out with one forearm and bracing her wings with the other. Hvit, much taller and stronger than his feminine companion, easily lifted the girl and began to flap, careful not to jostle his precious cargo.

The flight was short, but then it needn't have been long. After a quick vertical ascension, they were soon walking through Melisma's hoard again but this time under very different circumstances.

DragonSong

Melly squeaked, then reached up to wrap her arms around his shoulders. It wasn't really that she thought he'd drop her, it was more for her own comfort than anything else.

"Thank you," she murmured on a sigh, letting her head come to rest against his chest.

Magyar

"It is the least I could do. Where would you prefer me to put you down? Mind that you might not move from this spot for some time," Hvit told her, winding through the piles of treasure and literature towards her small resting room. Unless she preferred something else, he was already sure of her answer. Still, he didn't know her full preference, so he asked nonetheless.

Magyar

Hvit frowned, creasing his brow, and he asked, "What do you mean, little bird? The sooner I set you down the sooner you can begin to heal. Is that not your wish?"

He stopped walking, slowing to a halt amid the mounds of her possessions. Even with her weight, and light she was not, he could hold her there for much, much longer if need be.

DragonSong

"I know."

She was quiet for a long moment, then sighed and relaxed her arms from around him. "I'm sorry. I just..."

Liked being close to him. But she couldn't say that, so she kept her mouth shut, eyes downcast. "You- you can put me down," she murmured after a few moments.

Magyar

Hvit squinted skeptically at her for a second. After a quick look, he continued on his way.

"What is wrong, little bird?" he inquired, "Is there something bothering you?"

The journey to her loft was a fast one, and before long he had her lounging on some carefully arranged pillows, himself sat comfortably beside her. He'd also scrounged up some of the fruit from the day before and now had been peeling an orange for her.

"You know that you can tell me, right?"

DragonSong

"I- I know I can," Melly muttered, relaxing back onto her pillows with a relieved sigh. Her body ached and she closed her eyes, breathing in deeply and letting the citrusy smell of the orange wash over her.

"I'm just not sure if I should," she murmured after a moment.

Magyar

"Take a chance," He encouraged. Hvit tilted his head at her, and finished peeling the orange. Pulling a wedge from the rest, he popped it into his mouth, then took another for her and held it out.

DragonSong

Carefully, she took the wedge and placed in on her tongue, using the excuse of chewing to buy some time to think.

"I...like it," she sighed eventually. "Being close to you, how we were. I- I know what you said before, and I'm not trying to...to change your mind or anything. But I like being close to you..."

She shrugged, looking down.