Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fate's Weave

Started by Camrie, February 01, 2017, 04:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camrie

It had been so long. That's what she thought to herself as she flew with graceful wingbeats high above clouds, midday light filtering down upon her and warming the hard surfaces of her scales. The Dragoness hadn't been touched by fate's wishes in months. She had been enjoying a life of relaxation and seclusion, high in the mountains, in a cave filled with books and trinkets of knowledge. She lived apart from other souls, even the Colony. She simply existed. But she had caught wind of news from towns not far from here- not very important news to most, but to her, it was. Whispers of someone looking for the Talons of Fate. She had thought about ignoring it and remaining in her firelit cave with her tomes and her treasures, but just this morning a vision had jumped to her mind, turning her eyes white and making her entire body tense and twitch. The face of the one who sought her out. She knew it had been him, even though the glimpse was vague. It was a sign that she was to aid him. And who was a simple dragon to disobey the whims of destiny? So, no matter how much she wanted to be eating a nice elk or some other large, meaty creature, She went. Gods help her, she went.

Now she circled lower, until she was sweeping over the treetops, examining every inch of the outskirts of the town- for she had seen in the background of the scene a simple sign of a pub, seated in this village. Some villagers grew alarmed, but others recognized her as Lady Sarokain, the dragoness who sold them fine hides and traded for goods. The closeness of The Colony to this village put them at ease, clearly. Making a low rumble of greeting in her throat, she simply flew in high circles, waiting for the man whom she had come to see. She would know it was him when he came. She blew a small plume of fire to get his attention, if indeed he were close.

TheHopeseeker

One disappointment after another, it seemed, was to mark his trials. Aneurin was tired of failure, of the cold weight of hopelessness that washed over him with every foiled attempt to save himself. Every trail he chased, every scant hope he followed, they all seemed to end in the same manner. In dead ends.

Leaning against the bed in his small room at the tavern, head cradled in his hands as he sat on the hard wooden floor, he let out a heavy sigh, grimacing at the heavy weight settled over his chest. It came in fits, the symptoms, the dull ache that settled under his ribcage and wrapped around his spine. Coughing softly, he raised a hand to wipe his lips, staring dully at the red staining his hand in small droplets.

A heavy gust of wind swept over the tavern, rattling the window panes and shaking the bed behind him. Startled to his feet, he quickly moved over to the grimy window, thrusting it open to look out. A dragon, there was a dragon circling over the town. A small fire of hope lit in his chest, a tiny thing, but enough to have him throwing the door wide open and barrelling down the wooden steps to the outside in a matter of moments, emerging on the main road through the town with his coat half-on, half-off, auburn hair askew and eyes bright.

Camrie

Sarokain's pierced ear twitched at the sounds of creaky doors thrown wide, hasty footsteps in the dirt. She turned her gaze down to the street, catching sight of the figure bolting down the village's main road with something akin to anticipation. It almost made her smile, for he seemed like he needed her help. Who knew what he wished to know? But it felt good to know she could assist, even if she did have to fly out of her cave and be around people. Her circling ended, and she shifted gracefully into a controlled dive, slowing just before she hit the ground, alighting with a cloud of dust and the steady whomp, whomp of wingbeats before it went silent. The villagers stared, curious and some, awestruck and fearful. She glanced around to them, slit pupils thinning as she raised her serpentine head, teeth bared.
"Leave us to our business, if you would."
She said in her deep, rough voice, curt and commanding. They scrambled for a moment, but in the knick of time they returned to their normal daily tasks, only wondering what business a dragon could possibly have with a stranger from the pub. Her gaze returned to the man, and she folded her wings against her back, stepping forward a few yards. She regarded him, taking in his countenance, his appearance, the way he walked and stood, trying to assess what reasons he might have for seeking her out. She cocked her head, sunlight sparking off her iridescent scales of azures and teals and deep blue.

A low sound rumbled in her throat, almost like the considerate him of a human trying to make a decision. Her claws sank into the dirt, tail whipping around to curl at her flank as her huge, heavy body settled into a sit with a great shake.
"You have been looking for me," she said. It wasn't a question. "And here I am. My name is Sarokain, seer of Fate."
Her gaze was intent and sharp, and her stare unwavering. She bent a little, lowering her long neck until she was eye to eye with him. They were only a few yards apart, at this point. She inhaled his scent, testing it for suspicion, deception. It seemed clear. He simply needed her help. She would try to give it- it had been too long since her ability had done some real good. Her teeth were long, and some protruded from her lip even when her mouth was closed, but her orange reptilian eyes were not threatening.
"Approach, if you wish my help. What is it you ask of me?"
She had not seen his questions, only that he would be here, and that she was meant by Destiny to be of service. It was up to him to ask, and up to her to seek the answer and hopefully assist in whatever cause he was championing.

TheHopeseeker

Aneurin felt his mouth run dry as he took in the magnificent dragon before him, his eyes flickering over every part of her body before settling on her face. Her eyes, intelligent and kind, homed in on him, her voice sending the civilians back to their work with nary a protest, though any who kicked up a fuss for Sarokain, the Seer of Dragons, must be either a fool or an idiot.

Swallowing, he took a few halting steps forwards, leaning back instinctively when she snakes her head towards him, but regarding her calmly. There was wariness in his stance, his posture showing his nervousness, but there was no fear in his eyes, only calm cautiousness.

"Lady Sarokain," he paused, licking suddenly dry lips, smothering a grimace at the taste of copper in his mouth, "I...I did not believe the rumours were true." He whispered, taking another step forwards.

Camrie

The dragoness watched him step forward, her orange slitted eyes softening as she smelled the faint tang of blood on him- though he appeared not to be wounded in any external way, that she could see as of yet. A rumble radiated from her throat, almost like a growling purr. She was not a maneater, after all, and there was a certain appeal to helping someone who seemed so sincere. She slowly spread a wing in his direction, as if to draw him closer. Their conversation was, after all, meant only for their ears. He seemed wary, but unafraid. She respected that. It was tiring to speak with souls who feared you. But he showed no signs of wavering. Other than the surprise on his face. A corner of her scaly lips twitched into a grin, for she liked to shock people.
"It appears they are, Asker. Come closer- there is no need for alarm. I won't harm you. I've come to help."
She said with a duck if her massive head, crooking a talon to beckon him. Her long, earring-ed ears twitched, muscles roiling smoothly beneath her iridescent scales.

TheHopeseeker

Aneurin took another few steps forwards, standing nearly against the great dragon's chest. Blowing out a soft breath, he raised his head to meet her gaze, bright teal meeting orange steadily. "How..."he swallowed, "How did you know to find me?" He asked softly, smothering another cough that clawed to at his throat, desperate to escape.

Clearing his throat quietly served to abate the itch for now, letting him focus completely on the Seer, "Is it truth you can..predict people's futures?"

Camrie

He bravely stepped forward, and an approving look gleamed in her reptilian eyes as he stood close to her chest. Clearly no pushover. She saw him shove down a cough, smelled the tang of blood once again. Whatever aimed him, it continued even now. She smiled sadly, for she guessed that his search for her was centered around his health. But she withheld her words on the matter, for with patience all would be revealed.
"I saw you in a vision. Not in depth, but it allowed me to discern where and when we would encounter one another."
She explained with infinite patience- for did she not have all the time in the world? To his next question, she smiled toothily, nodding and shifting her taloned feet.
"Indeed, it's true. I can gaze into the weave of someone's life, and if Fate dictates that I share what I see, then I do. You have nothing to worry for, though. That flighty mistress of Fate would not have sent me if she did not mean for you to know."

TheHopeseeker

Aneurin nodded slowly at that, his expression only thoughtful as he gazed up at the mighty dragon. "So you can tell me, if Fate decides...will I beat this illness that plagues me?" The question was honest and earnest, his gaze similarly so. There was something to be admired in the calm way he posed the question, smoothly smothering the desperation that had surely led to such a plea, and such lengths taken to ask it