Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Common Misconceptions (M)

Started by RedOptics, February 03, 2017, 06:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedOptics

"It's not the image part I'm worried about. If you;ve got a scarier image, I won't be afraid because I'll know it's you... And I know you wouldn't hurt me," I hope. "I only fear these happenings because I don't know who's behind it and why they want to torment me." She touched the tri-band that protected her nose bridge and temples, feeling a spark, "Besides. I'm a full grown woman now, and the Shamans are trying to help me contain it as well."

The waters below let off a few bubbles, catching her attention, "Whenever I'm feeling too hot, I usually come here to cool it off. This vent had kept me alive this whole time, preventing my banishment if I did something on accident. When my biological mother died, I fell into a deep sleep. The others told me that I was very much awake, and that I had set one of the huts on fire and sat in the middle of it. I don't remember what happened at all, but I can that I didn't mean it." She pulled herself further before hanging over to the water, "I've always been troubled, I feel as though it's my father's fault because he was never here. I mean, no one really knows their real father, because we're all family and all responsible for taking care of our children."

"You know... the only reason I didn't run from you in the first place was because I wanted to ask you something. I wanted to know if you knew anyone with a child in Yoreiqi, but they weren't there themselves. The Elders said my father was a white man, one pure white hair and a handsome complexion. He was a mage, and my mother was a healer. Only the Gods know how I got a destructive power." She got up on her knees, looking up at the sky, silently asking why, "I guess I just live on the fact that fire kills."

Wrathwyrm

There was an immeasurable trust coming from this girl, enough that it honestly surprised him and he looked up as she was talking, paying more attention now as she began to speak on a more serious side of things.  True, Keona was getting help with herself, but he wondered if it was enough.  Maybe.  He didn't know the shamans or what they could do.  Maybe they were as good as the next mage.  As she spoke of the episode she had and of her unknown father, it became clear that her problems were far deeper than just day-to-day.  Her whole life was a mystery to her.  Travis got to his feet now, and leaned himself on the ledge nearby her.

"If you're father's specialty among others was fire magic, and your mother was a gifted healer, their powers could have merged, much like how you're Yoreiqi, but different.  People inherit things from their parents.  It's the way of the world.  Judging from your description of him..."

He thought about it...and did not like the answers.

"The people of Serendipity can look all kinds of ways, and alot of them have magic.  But..."

And this was an exceptional but.

"...if that was how he always looked...people of Connlaoth more commonly look that way.  Light skin, light hair...  It's possible, but...I dunno.  Some instinct tells me that it's deeper than that, that there's more to it than a random magus."

He'd been looking down, but now he met her eyes if she'd been looking in his direction.

"Be honest, Keona.  More than anything, you wanna go out there and find this man, don't you?"

RedOptics

Her amber gaze bore into his as he searched for that small truth, and it broke her, "Yes." The expression she held was like she couldn't run anymore, "More than anything I've ever wanted, even being normal." Keona kept her voice low, before she broke her sight away from his. "I want to be able to feel the burning pain. Every wound I gain is cauterized, then sealed shut, but leaves a scar."

As proof, she lifted herself up a little and pointed to a long scar near the back of her thigh and curving up over her back, "Once fully healed, the scar turns a disgusting shade of black and glows like the aftermath of a forest fire, even if these tattoos try their best to hide it. They never told me more about him, but he had the same scars over his shoulders and face... that's why he wore a mask over his eyes."

"He knows something, Travis, something about me right at this moment. I'm sure he knows why I see shadow creatures, and why things are dying. I've speculated that he wants to scare me off this island in order to find him..." There was a hint of a smile on her face, like she was thinking that was silly.

Wrathwyrm

Her wounds sealed on her own, and her father was the same way?  That took him by surprise.

"That definitely sounds like more than simple fire magic."

Hell, if he was poking at her from a distance, that could mean that he's got some crazy reach...and that he wanted something.  It might be better if they found out what, and then probably denied it to him since whatever it was all about didn't seem healthy.

"And he doesn't sound very pleasant, if that's what he's all about."

Now, he hoisted himself up to the ledge and into a crouch, facing her.

"I think when you go and find him, you have someone clever and talented who knows a bit more about the world, like the kind of guy that'd help you with your magic who...coincidentally happens to dress in black and have his own set of wings."

This line of dialogue was working him up to a funny grin.

"Am I being specific enough here?"

RedOptics

Keona gathered her hair and brought it over her shoulder, running her fingers through it as he spoke. When he dropped the hint, she looked up him, rather taken aback by it. But she raised her brow instead and attempted a smirk, "Now would this particular man happen to be missing an eye and is a demon?"

Playing along was something she hadn't done in a long time. Throwing her hair back, she glanced around before pushing Travis into the water playfully. Keo' laughed, leaning over to look down at him. She didn't think it would be too hot for him, as she didn't fully understand if pain was something he felt or empowered him. But right now there was a feeling within herself that she struggled for most. Happiness.

"I'll go with you," Keona slithered off the rock and removed the silk around her chest. It would melt in the spring, and she was careful to keep her last remaining garments as they always burned in some way. She jumped in after removing the delicate part of her loincloth as well, still covered but just barely. There was a loud fizzing noise as the water around her boiled and bubbled away before settling down. The woman set herself just under the rock on a ledge, relaxing in the warmth. However, nothing could beat the heat of the volcano itself.

Wrathwyrm

"Could be."

It was then that Travis shouted something unintelligeable - largely due to his surprise - as Keona shoved him off of the ledge and into the drink.  He tried to flap himself to safety, but it was all too fast and-

Sploosh!

No, it wasn't too hot for him.  It was just a hot spring, right?  And he had a decent resistance to things, as is?  Once he surfaced, he shook his head off and heard Keona talking above him.  Looks like she was in for a little travel.

"Good to know."

While she was removing her garments, Travis remembered he was wearing leather.  It didn't exactly do well in situations like this, so cue the removal of outer layer and leaving only a simple shirt and trousers behind.

"I really hope I'm not in for some shrinkage there."

He sat down nearby, relaxing as she was now.

"I have only the little boat.  I know the sea is going to be a problem, so you might consider waiting for a bigger one so you can keep away from it."

RedOptics

"Oh right... the sea." Bringing up a knuckle to press her chin, she pondered for a moment, "That sounds great. In the meanwhile you can have that fun in the sun you were waiting for," Keona stated, grinning widely. Leaning back, she shifted her shoulders against the warm stone. In the days that she would come here, they were always short lived by some hunting or gathering party.

There was a quiet moment before she turned her line of sight back to him, "Travis..." Her voice trailed off as if the subject was embarrassing, "What are the men like?" Here she was taught that all men were fair and treated women as equals, though she figured it was only for Yoreiqi. She awkwardly scratched the back of her head, looking back down at the blue below. Fiddling with the necklace she wore, her cheeks burned a higher temperature than normal, visibly as well. The few feathers at the bending point of her wings flickered like candles, burning with a soft glow.

Wrathwyrm

"Oh, I'm already having it."

This place was great.  He couldn't imagine another one in the world like it.  I mean, there probably was somewhere, but he hadn't seen or heard of it yet.  Travis was doing himself a nice stretch when he heard Keona again...only this time it sounded a bit different, coy-like or something like that.  The look on her face suggested it wasn't ordinary curiosity.

"Well, it depends on where you go.  You get all kinds.  Kings and common workers, gentlemen and gnarled rogues - all kinds.  The laws of the country determine how they live and the sense in their heads determines how they behave."

He gave her a look with the one eye and a smirk.

"Not everyone's a nice guy, and not everyone gets treated fairly.  I promise nothing'll happen to you, though.  I won't let it."

Honestly, if anything ever happened to that beautiful face, those sunset eyes, and that long dark hair, he'd have to kick his own ass.  That'd be worse than anything he ever did as a demon, for sure.

RedOptics

Letting off a soft 'tsk', the grin returned to stretch her face yet again, "Well, I think I'll stick to this one then." She playfully shoved his shoulder and looked out into the forest again, rather content with herself. He was different from the others here, and that was what she had yearned for. Leaning her head back, she closed her eyes and listened contently to the steam of the pool, and taking in the scent of sulfur as a remedy.

Worried she may fall asleep like this, she opened her eyes every so often just so that the brightness would alert her senses. Even if water didn't snuff her, she still needed air, because what's a flame without oxygen? At some point her head lolled to the side, and it was a while until she once again became knowing of the time. The sun was high in the sky already, and she could feel her stomach asking for food beneath the surface.

"Perhaps we should go find something to eat?" Keo' turned her head in Travis's direction, but not meeting his eye. She simply stared out into space, waiting for a response.

Wrathwyrm

Which is...honestly the kind of response he'd been hoping for.  Not everyone in the world was a pain in the ass.  In fact, Travis felt she'd enjoy Serendipity the most.  It's just that he couldn't help but think that Keona was something special, unique in the world, and that he should watch out for her if she was going to be out there.  Now uhh...this place was relaxing, but there was one thing that threw him off a bit.

The sulfur.

It wasn't anything he couldn't handle, but ummm...how do we put this.  In the world of demons, all of the senses are assaulted, and one thing you notice is the smell.  Well, among all the cocktails of odor in hell or whatever you call it, sulfar was there, but at least it wasn't as bad here.  Well, whatever.  Travis was perfectly fine having a rest here, but after a while...the question of getting food arose.  He opened his eye and sat up.

"Sure, just one question...  Everyone here flies.  Do you hunt like people or swoop down like birds?  I had to wonder about that, last night."

RedOptics

She had to think for a moment on that question, for she hadn't been a part of many parties over the years and had seen various collecting ways, "Well, not all of us have wings," Keona waded past him and pulled herself out of the water, brushing off droplets that didn't evaporate off her chest. Grabbing her silks, she repositioned them on her body and shook out her wings and aired out her hair, "But the ones that can prefer branch hopping for fruit gathering and hunting. The jungle is too thick for larger wingspans like mine, and usually it's those with the shorter wings that are more skillful at flying through obstacles that dive. My spirit name is actually Leaping Leopard, because I prefer using my body rather than my wings."

Turning around and putting her hands on her hips, she nodded behind her, "Come on, maybe I can actually catch something in this area." Twisting on her heel, she headed for the jungle wood, looking up at a tree before clambering up its side to reach the branches that hung above. This area didn't generally grow much fruit because of the fumes, good fruit that is, it would always fall and rot faster than a dead animal. Her memory took a glance at the scene yesterday, and she shivered, shaking her head and bounding to another branch, shaking the leaves as she suddenly got sloppy and slipped. Keona pulled herself back up and cleared her throat, not wanting to talk about it.

Wrathwyrm

Actually, this was all news to him.  Not only were there people without wings on this island, but different kinds of wingies?  He could see the point of her problem, though.  If the trees were too dense, how could you swoop?  Maybe there were some places, but yeah...that was a problem.

"Well, they're be more open places on the mainland, at least."

As it stood, though, she was getting out and was adamant to see if today was her lucky day.  Well, maybe, but of course The Travis has to slosh his way out of the water first and grab his things.  He umm...didn't actually see Keona have a Whoops moment because that boy was re-introducing himself to his pants.  However, he was soon getting some wing-assisted leaps down to follow her, still pulling his coat along for the ride.

RedOptics

Pushing herself further, she stopped on a thick branch and stood, her hair catching in several pink and blue flowers. Down below, in a small clearing, there was a herd of wild boar grazing on the sweet grass. Keona waited for him and crouched down slowly, making no sound whatsoever.

"Shh," She hissed with a soft tone, keeping her eyes on the prey. They ranged in several sizes, all minding their own business and grunting loudly. "Hey, you have a weapon on you, right?" She whispered to him, "Because I seem to have forgotten mine." She flexed and tensed her muscles, clearly eager to see a successful killing without her screwing it up somehow.

They were clueless, and completely vulnerable to their will.

Wrathwyrm

Following as best he could, Travis came to rest near where Keona was, and kept his yap shut as he was bidden.  Down there, a small herd of wild boars...if herd was the right word.  He never really asked.  Didn't matter.  They were there, and they were ripe for the stabbing.  Well...except that Keona had left her spear and any other sort of weapon she might have behind.  Hmmm, a problem.  fortunately, this was one guy with a solution.  Holding his finger up in a 'Just a second' gesture, he held his hands aloft and...produced a throwing spear with a barbed head.  It was, of course, made of shadowsteel, and would therefore be cold.  But hey, what's the old saying?  And port in a storm?  Travis created one for himself as soon as she took up hers.  Why not?  He could toss.

RedOptics

Flinching at the cold material, she tried her best to heat it but to no avail. Instead she tried to focus on aiming it, finding it heavier (obviously) to hold up. Closing an eye, she positioned herself with strength. Pressing in her stomach, puffing out her chest and raising her chin, she lined up the shot.

"Line of sight, calm breaths, don't over think it..." Keona murmured the rules of hunting to herself, then gathered her energy to push the spear through the air. It sliced through the slight breeze, then plunged its way through the hide and skeleton of one of the boars. It was small, but it was still a kill. At this point the other boar were going crazy, panicking as one of their own had just been killed, and the blood was splattered to prove it. Keona was... giddy, no, more than giddy.

"I... made a kill..." She whispered shakily, "I made a kill... I MADE A KILL!!" Keona eventually screamed to the heavens, followed by laughter. Travis wouldn't be able to understand it, but one's first kill meant you were capable of more. And making your first kill when you were already a woman was not heard of.

Wrathwyrm

While Keona had been steadying herself for the throw, Travis had just been doing the same, but he was just a bit delayed when he had to angle his head and used the left eye while being right-handed.  He had a good sense for these things, though, but with the delay...Keona's spear struck true and Travis'...

"Whoops."

He got one in the ass.

Naturally, there was a piggy panic as the group ran hog-wild and...  These are bad puns, aren't they?  Let's just stop right there, then.  Keona was ecstatic, so much so that Travis stared for a moment in surprise.  Was her problem hunting really that bad?  Must be, since the heavens needed to know.  Well, at least he got one t-  Wait, where'd it go?

"What the...?  Dammit, mine's leaving!  Come back!"

The boar with the wounded posterior loudly declined as it hopped awkwardly away.

"I can still catch him.  He's as good as dead, right?"

But still, Keona had definitely made victory on this day.  He was happy for her.  Also, it meant there'd be meat on the menu today.

RedOptics

Trying to calm down, she giggled to herself and tried to hold her body together, "Sorry, hehe, go find your pig, hah, it can't run far like that." She leaped off the branch and glided down to her kill, quickly making sure it was dead by shoving the spear further until it managed to pierce the other side. It'll be easier for her to carry it like this, without burning it.

One of the pigs was angry, and charged at her before she hissed and grabbed its tusks before tossing it with ease into the forest and quickly grabbing both visible ends of the spear and taking off to a branch, waiting for Travis. The villagers will be happy she managed to catch it, and honor her first kill as her true entry to adult hood. Being able to make a kill was also most desirable here, and she wondered if something will happen, although she isn't quite sure what. The blood that smeared onto her hands was prized, but it didn't last long until it boiled off to leave the clear and smooth skin she was born with.

Wrathwyrm

Aaand swoop!  Yes, he wasn't wasn't getting far like that, but he was getting around a tree with a spear poking him in the butt, which Travis had to grab and remove - A bit of loud struggling follows here. - and then plunge back down...which then ended the sizable noise.  This was followed by...

"Okay, I got it!"

Travis returned with the spear on his shoulder and the boar gutted in the neck, dribbling blood from uhh...two places.  It was just a tad bit messy.  He returned to Keona now and looked around.

"Right umm...which way was it again?"

Hey, if it was the beach, he'd know the way, but it wasn't.  Let's have ourselves a triumphant return.

RedOptics

Humming softly to herself, she looked in the direction they came from and headed that way, "If we can make it to the spring then we can find our way back. The island isn't very wide, but its length is another story."

Hoisting her catch over her shoulder, she walked with a swish and a gallop in her step, knowing people will be thankful.

"Have you ever hunted before?" Keona asked, leaning her head back to look at him, bright eyes glinting in the dim atmosphere. Her gloominess had begun to fade, thanks to his presence. Maybe it was the fact that he cared and felt her pain, or perhaps it was what she felt.

What do I feel? She asked herself, very unsure of her own mind at this moment. Perhaps the feeling will pass.

Wrathwyrm

Well, the spring, he had a better idea vis-a-vis the direction thereof, so they were probably fine for that.  The two of them started walking along, pigs in tow, when the question of his hunting prowess came up.

"Me?  No, I've never hunted.  I've fought, and I've definitely killed, but that had nothing to do with hunting.  That was more about all the demon things I did for the creature that made me what I am."

He shrugged, then.

"I got over it."

He really only managed there because he was good with weapons, a skill hammered into his demon-y self over the years until he got it right.

Tags: