Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Common Misconceptions (M)

Started by RedOptics, February 03, 2017, 06:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedOptics

Though not entirely shocking, it surely was an interesting fact. She wondered if she would have to kill and fight on the mainlands as well, probably not like him, but definitely brutally. I'm fine with that.

Listening closed to the sounds of the village, it was distant but easy to follow, that and the scents of woodsmoke and bonfires attracted her as well, "I'm glad you're here, Travis. I know it sounds weird, but I never knew a stranger could make me feel happy..." Keona turned her face away and blushed, fixing the position of the metal rod.

The journey back wouldn't take long until Keo finally saw flickers of torchlight between the trees and laughter and singing. It was unsure if they'd welcome a stranger who had killed a meal to be honored, partly because she had never seen it.

Maybe they were kind enough to accept it as a peace offering? Mh, that sounded silly, but she decided to give it a shot.

Wrathwyrm

"Anything's possible."

He chuckled a bit as they headed for the village, already the sounds of its activity being heard.  There'd be no problem, right?  They saw him here yesterday.  Even though they'd been doing their own thing, he was plainly visible and nobody batted an eyelash.  Unless there was some kind of rule about strangers hunting, they should be cool here.  Well, we'll be putting that to the test, right...about...now.

RedOptics

Stepping into the village, Keona confidently headed for the bonfire where food was being prepared to be cooked. She dropped the boar at the feet of one of the council members before saying something in their language. Pulling the spear out of the pig, she handed it to Travis, and exchanged a few more foreign words with the man before her. He smiled and placed his hands on her shoulders, looking like a proud father as he touched his nose to her forehead.

Turning back to look at Travis, she waved him over and said something that included his name, and the council elder patted his shoulder, before returning to attend to the feast. It wasn't long before he shouted an announcement to the entire population, then three the prepared meat onto wooden racks to make room for their catch.

"He's proud of us. Even a stranger like you have made an impressive skill, or so head said. We're going to have a feast in honour of those becoming women and men today, and our first kill on this island will be an honour to eat during the ceremony," Keona faced him and smiled, "You may attend if you wish. I'll be up in my hut."

Wrathwyrm

Judging by the look of things, one would have to conclude that things were alright.  Honestly, he'd wondered if there was gonna be some friction, but Travis had underestimated these people.  Well, when you come from the mainland, you expect people to behave a bit more like that.  It's not the same as a tightly-knit island village, though.  The big chief muckamucks appeared to be pleased with Keona's catch.  Hell, they were fine with him too, as he handed it over.  Upon returning to Keona's side, though, Travis' attention swerved to an announcement that...he could not understand.  Fortunately, Keona had explained it to him.

"I'll stick around for the food and stuff, be along later.  Any special customs I should know about?  Want me to bring you some of the feast?"

He was unsure, at first, why she wasn't going to be around for her own ceremony, but he realized that she felt she might ruin it with her fire power, somehow.  She was in a good mood, and it seemed to come out even then.  Perhaps she just didn't want to spoil it for everyone.  Even still, she should definitely partake in some of her kill.  Hunters whom he had met always say things like 'Nothing is more satisfying than food that you've caught and killed and cooked with your own hands.'.  And thinking back to Keona's triumphant cry, they might've had a point.

RedOptics

"Mh... well.. I do need to be the first to eat some of my kill. I mean, I guess I could stay for a little while. Ceremonies require a certain kind of dress anyways," So either way she'd be forced into her shelter for the time being, "I'll need some help. Come with me."

Like before, she grabbed his wrist and tugged him gently with her, walking with quick feet as if wanting to get out before anyone saw her.

Swiftly climbing her tree, she entered to find Ira chasing a squirrel and knocking a few things over. He finally caught it and muched triumphantly on the little meat it offered, making Keona sigh before putting a few things back, "My first ceremony was the young Shaman's ceremony, where I had officially become a seer. Unfortunately my abilities clouded my mind after time, and all I could see was fire. I still have the pieces of silk and jewelry they had given me, but it took a team to assemble it. Hm," She chickled softly to herself, coy all of a sudden, "Sometimes I pretend it's that day all over again, so I dressed up in it for fun, as well as going to the volcano." Keona pulled out a box made of sticks, over flowing with the traditional wear.

Wrathwyrm

So, it looked like she was going to attend, after all, but there was some preparation she needed to do...  Why did she need his help?  Well, he was about to find out.  Back to the tree, this time he knew where he was going and basically started to wall-hike to get up quicker, where...the mighty hunter was chasing down a squirrel.  Travis smirked at this, then listened to Keona's tale.  He didn't know she had vision quests.  Maybe that's why her father could reach all the way here.  She had mind talents that could be focused on.  Who knows?

"So, this is your catch-all big ceremony clothing or do you have different ones for each occasion?"

RedOptics

"I haven't had any other ceremonies other than that one and me becoming a woman by recieving these markings... But for that one I wasn't allowed to wear much of anything at all. Which is understandable." She blew some hair from her face, why did she really bring him up here? Did she really need help with this stuff? Maybe it was just to get him away from the curiosity of others... or maybe- Shaking her head, she assembled the main components quickly, taking a circular headpiece and inspecting it. It all did seem a little overboard, maybe this was enough? "It's all smaller than it once was..." She murmured to herself as she looked at the parts that hung from her arms. Shrugging, she took up a long, viel type of material, handing it to Travis, "Do you mind attaching these to bits to my wings please?"

Kicking the box away, she brushed her bare stomach and upper chest off from the dust that had collected within the box. Ira sat at her feet, and she crouched down to pet him as he rubbed against her leg. He was always so loveable, and the reason why she managed to keep her sanity this whole time.

"Sorry I'm putting you through this..." Keona said to Travis, keeping her face down at the cat. There was a soft smile on her lips, both for the cat and him, "Hopefully you won't have to stay long, because it does get quite boring after a while."

Wrathwyrm

"That...makes sense.  I guess."

Just how far did those tattoos go?  Well, if her statement was any indicator, they went umm...all over.  Dang.  So, as she asked him to help her put the veil-things on her wings, he looked at them, saying...

"Well, I could try."

He...assumed they were suppose to drape over or something...right?  Keona had leaned down to pet the lovable tiger while he did that now.

"That depends on who comes to port in a bigger boat.  I'm sure I can convince 'em to take us along.  'till then, I've got time to spare."

RedOptics

"Leave out the parts that I'm a flamecaster. Maybe it'll heighten your chances," Keona said with a hint of bitterness, "No matter. Thanks for the help. With wings these size it's well, difficult on your own. Now, to explain some of the traditions. When the elders are speaking, you must stay quiet. When the men and women receive their markings, don't laugh, don't whisper, and don't disrespect them, because it isn't the most graceful of things to watch." Boy did she remember how embarrassing hers was. The magic that gives you the markings tickled and irritated the skin in the most awkward of places, but you're not allowed to move until the process is finished. After that then most of the new adults just jump around trying to get at it.

"Don't take more than you'll eat when the chiefs give permission to feast, and finally," Keona made a face, a face as though this happened way too often and she was just sick of it, "Don't make small talk with anyone, please." Well, mainly it was simply a rule she made up. Sad to say, but she was jealous of the fact everyone else could speak Common, and so well they'd drag certain attention away. Negative emotions. Stupid stupid, stupid Keona, can't be having those. There was a native call from down below, and the woman sighed to herself softly, "We'll be forced to sit up front, so we need to be a bit early."

Wrathwyrm

He could understand her feelings on the boat bartering business.  Really, you never tell anyone you have fire power if you're talking to someone with possessions made of wood, not unless you wanted to make them nervous.  Travis didn't have anything to say to that.  It's best let go, then and there.  He listened to the rules of the ceremony tradition and...while the first part made sense...the latter part about the tattooing produced a funny glare on his face.

"I'll...keep that in mind."

The part about eating was alright, of course.  He knew his limits.  And the small talk?  Was there...something more about that?  Hmmm.  He wondereed there...  Nah, it was just his imagination, maybe.  Well, he'd just try to enjoy himself...and then he heard they'd be up front like...well...like guests of honor.

"Okay then, lead the way.  I'll be good."

He said this with a snicker.

RedOptics

Rolling her eyes, she patted Ira on the head before gliding away to the deck, opening her wings to float gently to the ground. She didn't gather much attention before joining the front row of older and young adults. The ones that had no markings on them stood near the bonfire, facing one of the elder tribe members who was decorated with blue silks varying in shades. Keona was sitting prim on her knees as per instruction of an old shaman, who smiled at her kindly.

Soon the crowd would fall silent as the elder began to speak, shouting his words so that the whole tribe could hear. He gestured to the three that stood, one woman and two men, all looking nervous as hell behind their staged, stoic faces.

Keona rubbed her nose to hide a quick smile, just to get it out of her system until the man gestured the three to closed their eyes. The old woman who had smiled at her earlier stood up, her hunched back making it look like she'll topple over easily. Chanting something and rattling her cane, she closed her eyes and one by one marked the new adults. The markings swirled from their feet up to their heads in blues, golds, greens and violets. These colours reflect their personalities, and the few to receive the out of the ordinary colours and shades like red, gold, white or black were often rare. Soon after the last swirl appeared on the last body, she turned to the crowd and cheered something, the gathering, including Keona, repeated the phrase.

Before they were dismissed, the woman would speak again while the three behind her left to tend to themselves. She gestured to the food, then placed her hands on both Keo and Travis's heads, thanking them for their first sacrifice of food.

Wrathwyrm

Travis, being Travis, just stepped right off and only used his wings at the last second to control his drop.  He thudded to the ground, feet first, but he was alright.  So, he came to the ceremony as he was suppose to and...did not understand a word of what was going said.  In his mind, he was seeing if he could fill in the blanks with what he thought he was saying, but for all he knew, he was talking about the weather when he might be addressing the volcano goddess.  The only thing he could be sure of was that Keona had passed a rite of passage and that she was honored.

And then, an old woman was doing something with a rattle and colored things, which he had no way in hell of figuring out.  There was chanting and repeated refrains, and it basically seemed like religion going on, but he didn't know the deeper meanings of the motions.  Finally, after a while, they got to something he understood: They were pointing out his and Keona's contribution to the night's meal.  Travis just kept his yap shut and let it all happen.  At some point, the ceremony would be over and they could go about their business.

RedOptics

The sun had reached the three quarter point of the day, indicating that this was their supper. Normally feasts started early as they lasted for several hours in case you wish to have food in your belly before you sleep.

"You must be the first to eat your kill, same goes for me," Keona stated softly, "As long as you eat the hear as well, you'll gain the boar's strength." It was tradition, that eating the heart of your first kill granted you the strength of whatever you ate. Normally the first kill is indeed boar.

She herself stood up, striding over to a makeshift table she cut off a piece of the once-pumping muscle but hesitated, before stuffing it into her mouth and chewing. It was tough, but she eventually got it down and grabbed just a small portion of food after that.

Wrathwyrm

So, what she was saying now is that you have to eat your heart out, or rather your kill's heart.  Hey, no worries.  Demon, remember?  Plenty of viceral things have happened on his watch, so eating a cooked heart wasn't so bad.  Along with Keona, then, he stood up and came to find his boar's heart on the table.  He used one of their knives, this time, which meant that it wasn't quite as sharp and it needed a little more work, but he definitely cut the heart, which allowed more steam to arise from it.  Then, he just shoved it in and started to munch on it.  No big deal.  From there, he got a decent amount of meat and went back to eat as planned.

RedOptics

Keona was already climbing her tree with the small amount of food in hand, carefully coordinating herself to not drop it. Once inside, she gave a small chunk to Ira before sitting on some pillows in front of the dead coals. She frowned before pointing at them, making a small motion before a spurt of flame came from the tip and into the cold fire place. It ignited and almost instantly there was a rather decent fire going. The woman stared blankly into the fire, watching the flames flicker and dance before her.

Ira came up and rubbed his head under her arm before laying in the warm spot, closing his eyes and taking a nap. It was loud and crowded back there, and she was glad she had kept the windows closed.

Clouds began to roll in from the north, blinking with lightning and black with water. No one would notice in such a thick area, not under the first drop that is. The rumbling was drowned out by the cheerful voices and ringing music, not even Keona noticed it. It wasn't a bad thing either, the tribe had been waiting for rain for weeks now, and she was rather happy without it.

Wrathwyrm

Travis had...to think about getting his food up in the tree, munching on some of it.  He'd also heard the rumbling, and he knew bad weather when he heard it.  With at least one hand - nah, better make it two - he would have to...yeah, let's do that.  With a quick running start, he jumped at a tree, kicked off, and started to wingbeat his way up to work on spiralling his way up the tree, until he could get up there and land, then step inside himself...where Keona was already comfortable.

"Man, if that storm had hit while I was in the dinghy, it might've sunk."

Aaand sit, and commence the eating!

RedOptics

Keona shot Travis a look, "Storm?" Welp, time to batten down the hatches. Normally when storms roll through here there's always debris and fallen trees afterwards. Not to mention everything would be wet. The thought made her shiver, those days she would always spend inside, huddling close to the fire.

"Great..." She mumbled, taking a bite out of a chunk of meat.

The wind began to blow against the tree tops, and the hut would physically move, but not a lot. These places were built like stone, sturdy and trustworthy. Nothing's gonna knock her home down, not until she's gone.

Wrathwyrm

Sturm und Drang?  Jah.

"'Fraid so.  Heard it in the background."

Naturally, this was not too pleasing a thing for Keona to hear.  Rain, rivers, lakes, and the ocean were all her enemy, save for when they were heated to the point of tolerance.  Like the narration said, batten down the hatches.  It's a'gonna be a biggun!  Still, with them secure, it should be fine here.  Even as they were eating and the tree they were situated on began to sway, not Keona nor the tiger looked concerned, so they must've been completely use to this.  It was a good thing too, because if she'd been living with this her entire life, then she wouldn't get seasick.  Travis smirked at this, raising a piece of his meal.

"Well, here's to boar's strength."

RedOptics

With a chunk of meat in her cheek, she raised her meal in the air, dropping some on accident. It was gone within seconds as Ira gobbled them up and Keona groaned softly. Not like she felt extreme hunger anyways. She finished the few scraps the were left and and set the wooden plank down beside her, staring down into the blaze.

"I wonder if he's alive..." She said out of the blue, and immediately you'd think of her father. Keona felt every passing day grow with eagerness as she prayed for a boat to arrive. There should be one soon, hopefully that is, some do arrive after storms.

"Did... did you know your parents?" Trying to catch his eye by looking at him, Keona held a look of concer, highly doubting it. Even if he did it would have been a long time ago, and the memory faded.

Well, one thing was for sure, is that she definitely knew how that felt.

Wrathwyrm

As they continued Travis snickered a bit at the might hunter, pouncing on the dropped piece of meat.  Otherwise, they ate contentedly,.  Then, after it was over, Keona mused upon the fate of her father, the scarred and pale man who - in all likelyhood - knew something more arcane and dreaded than mere fire magic.  At a guess, Travis would conclude that yes, he was alive.  Men like that might go to any length to remain in this world.  Plus, if it wasn't he who sent whatever was killing animals on this island, then who?  Then, the other question...

"Hmm?"

He blinked, actually surprised at the question.  Then, he looked down at the floor.

"I knew my parents.  I don't know my parents."

His eye met hers now as he elaborated on the situation he was in.

"I remember that my name is Travis McNaire, that I was just a boy when some men in hoods appeared and took me to their place of power, the altar in which they conducted their black rituals.  Those things are quite clear.  The punishing years after that made my childhood a distant and blurry memory.  It's just a faded image in my head, and as of now, I've yet to find the McNaire family.  They could have been victims, they could've died out naturally, or I could've just missed them.  It's been around twenty years, I think, so the trail is cold."

Even the hooded men were hard to find. Travis now looked to the ceiling.

"Sometimes, I like to think that if they're anything like me, they'll find some way to push past the heartbreak and the lonelyness, and move on.  But I'm just projecting the me that woke up in a demon's body and powered through to where I am now.  I don't know.  I'll miss 'em, but I can't do anything about 'em."