Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Catching a Break? [Lion]

Started by Zero, March 31, 2017, 06:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

@Lion
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Selevea was such an interesting and colorful city. Truly one of the jewels of trade in the riverlands. There were always people coming and going from all reaches of Serendipity - and beyond. Even better was that it wasn't an arduous journey from his home in Arca. Just far enough away to make him feel as if he'd stepped into a whole new world.

Although he did occasionally bump into one of his clients here.

This wasn't Arca or Cerenis, though, and they didn't disturb him. Most of them wouldn't have acknowledged his existence outside of one of his private rooms anyway. Discretion was key in his business, after all. Couldn't have spouses finding out about scandalous affairs with courtesans. It really amused him sometimes.

All the tangled little webs of secrets. He wondered if his clients ever became exhausted.

Personally, he was enjoying a quiet moment, watching the ships sailing in from all over, and taking off to who knew where. Roman liked watching the people more than the giant wooden monstrosities carrying them, though. People were the most interesting part of life, an endless source of both amusement and frustration.

Lion

A new town, a new environment, a whole new field of troubles to explore. And Danya wasn't sure he wanted to be a part of any of it. What little choice did he have now, though? He couldn't go home, and coming north just seemed like the logical thing to do. He was if anything, a reasonable man.

That's what he told himself.  He would be fine. Everything would be fine. And the troubles of his past would remain where they were. The heat of the desert, while stifling and unbearable, was the only home he'd known his whole life. And now that it was gone, there was a void inside his chest.  A place that ached as if his very heart had been ripped out.

Danya silently cursed at himself as he wandered through the streets.  His stomach growled something awful. No good in three days, and even sips of water from the river did nothing to sate his thirst. Here in the market all was quiet, save for the people coming out with their carts of various good and produce.

Danya's eyes settled on a particularly steaming fresh pie that a man set out in front of his bakery.  And he didn't think twice. He bolted forward and stole the pie almost as soon as it was set down and tried to stride as casually and as quickly as he could down the street. There was a turn close by and just when he thought he was going to get away, the baker called after him.

"HEY!"

And Danya bolted like lightning holding the pie firmly in hand and colliding straight into the person coming directly around the other way.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

Normally Roman wouldn't have considered a slow perusal of the open markets along busy streets in Selevea to be a particularly hazardous affair. Even for a well-dressed gentleman of obvious means, most urchins and thieves weren't bold enough to target someone in broad daylight in a well-patrolled area of town.

Clearly he needed to rethink that assumption.

It happened so quickly, he hadn't had time to so much as blink between hearing an angry shout and feeling himself colliding with something large and hard. Danya was much larger than Roman, and with the proper momentum, well, they really never stood much of a chance of staying upright, did they?

Roman slid on the cobblestones, and took Danya with him as he hit the ground hard. The pie, so sweet smelling and delicious looking, was crushed and splatted between them. It would definitely be staining the rich fabrics of his suit. A pity, he'd really liked this one!

"Well hello, darling." He smirked, looking up at the man that had tumbled him. My, but wasn't he a handsome one? "There are much easier ways to get me on my back, you know."

Roman seemed either completely oblivious to the fact that he'd just been run over by a thief, or willfully ignoring that information pointing to it.

Lion

Danya was absolutely mortified! The pie! It was destroyed and completely caked on this stranger's fine clothing. So he sat up, kneeling on hand hand and leg and stared with wide eyes at what he'd done. "Hakeshna's balls," he whispered and immediately reached up to snag a piece of the pie that was smeared across Roman's shirt and he stuffed it into his mouth.

Gods it was heavenly!  But he wasn't about to make a pig of himself. He still had the baker right on him! The stout man was surprisingly fast and Danya only had a few seconds to react.

The stranger! "Just play along!" Danya hissed and rolled off of Roman, maneuvering behind him and crouched, putting his arms up as if to deflect the other man's anger.  "Master, master, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to run into you!" he sobbed.  "I tried to bring you the pie you asked for. Please don't beat me!"

The baker halted in his tracks and watched the display, the grown man shielding an even growner man that was sobbing like a child.  He was still red-faced, fuming. "This one your slave!?" he said, pointing to Danya. "He stole my damn pie!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

Roman watched the man stuff a piece of pie into his mouth with a wry grin. It wasn't the first time someone had consumed sweets off his person, although perhaps the first time while still clothed and without being compensated in some fashion. Well, they said there was always a first time for everything.

He sat up and surveyed the mess that had been made, paying very little heed to the man at all as Danya scrambled behind him and began his little ruse. Master indeed! As if he would own another person, or beat one.

Crimson eyes glanced up at the baker, and Roman heaved out a mighty sigh as he slowly rose to his feet. "It appears that he did steal your pie, how very naughty of him. Forgive me for the trouble, good sir." A small purse was pulled from his sleeve, more than enough compensation for one pie, no matter how good. "Please, take this with the assurance that this naughty, naughty boy will be shown the error of his ways."

Lion

He was fairly sure this opportunity to sell him out would have him sold in a matter of seconds. Danya had chosen a complete stranger - and one he'd ran full force into at that - and had placed his hopes and his neck in his hands. The man had no reason not to throw him under those wagon wheels. And yet....there he was actually...paying for the pie?

Danya wouldn't have given the baker that much. And consider what he did to his clothes, such a disaster could have easily cost twice as much as that.  The baker, however, hefted the pouch in hand and opened it up.  Then his anger ceased, eyes like saucers staring at the contents, and he cleared his throat abruptly. "Well, good. Punish him right good!  Teach the little thief he was lucky this time. Next time might not be so," he grumbled, turning on his heels and going on his way.

Danya slowly stood once he was gone and he gauged this stranger with suspicion. "Thanks," he managed. "I'm...I'm sorry. Truly. I don't have anything honorable to say in my defense. Save that I was hungry.  And I haven't had a meal in days."

He frowned and reached up to flick a piece of splattered crust off his own chest. His own robes were already dirty, ripped, and worn. There was nothing left to save. "Why didn't you sell me out?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"Oh yes, he shall be thoroughly corrected for his misbehavior, you have my word." Roman smirked as he waved to the now retreating baker.

It would have been easy to sell the man out, and maybe Roman should have, but what fun or benefit would it have been? Absolutely none at all. The handsome, if dirty and underfed, man would have likely been hauled off by guards to pay for his petty theft in a way that didn't really do anyone any good.

No, he liked this way better. The baker got his money's worth from the pie - and then some - and Roman had just put the troublesome man in his debt. Even if only a little bit.

"Sell you out? Now why would I do a thing like that, darling?" His voice was almost a low purr as he swept his eyes up and down Danya approvingly. Yes, the man could do well for himself, with the right connections, of course.

His nose crinkled a bit. And with some proper grooming.

"We're both a bit of a mess, aren't we? Well there's baths to be had at my lodgings in the city. I'm afraid you're a bit taller, so I doubt my clothes would suit you well, but I'm sure we can come up with something. If you're hungry enough to steal food, I suppose I'll have to feed you as well." Roman seemed to remember himself for a moment and chuckled softly. "Forgive me, here I am going on and on. I am Roman Moretti, it is a pleasure to meet you, darling. Will you join me for a while? I promise to make it worth your time."

Lion

Danya didn't really know how to feel about it. This stranger wasn't ugly nor was he repulsive. Quite the opposite in fact. Danya could appreciate beauty in anyone, and underneath the crumbs and cherry-stains, he was handsome in his own right.

Danya kept himself reserved however. The baker was still nearby, as well as a passel of guards were turning the corner from where they were waiting. They bowed their heads at the pair and kept going, steady and onward like any good soldier. Danya scowled a little, frowning at them before looking back to Roman.

Or so he said introducing himself.

"Danya," he said simply and extended his hand to shake this Roman's firmly. He perked up at the thought of having a bath though. "I haven't been clean for weeks! I'd be most grateful sir!" He grinned and looked at him from the side. He supposed he should be suspicious about this man's sudden generosity. Danya wasn't going to question his fortune just yet. He knew that if something was too good to be true, it probably was. For now, however, he would cross that bridge when he got to it.

His stomach made point enough to growl loudly then and there.  "Oh. Sorry!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"Well rejoice, darling, for today you get nice and clean." Roman easily let his hand slide into the other man's as they shook hands. He even tried to be subtle about wiping said hand on his coat afterwards. Danya might have been pretty, but Gods was he grimy. Despite having quite a messy job, the incubus was truly particular about dirt and cleanliness.

He laughed softly at the loud growling of the other's stomach. "No reason to be sorry. Hungry people often cannot help that they are hungry. At least from my experience."

With a curling of his fingers Roman beckoned Danya to follow him as he turned from the markets and headed towards a more residential area of the trade city. He was staying in a lovely townhouse that was owned by an appreciative customer. She just so happened to be a merchant, and widowed. Of course she was looking for a new husband, but in the meantime Roman was all too happy to accommodate her need for companionship from time to time.

"So darling, tell me where you're from and what brings you to this fine city?" It was an effort to make small talk, on the surface, but Roman also wanted to learn a bit about him. Not solely for the sake of curiosity.

Lion

No, hungry people could not help they were hungry, indeed. And Danya could hear his stomach growling loudly again as if in agreement.

His arms wound over his belly as if that would somehow keep it quiet.  Inwardly hissing, he was thankful to be on the move again. Even if his tired feet already had aching blisters on them. What was another few more steps as long it would lead to a nice hot meal and a bath.

While this Roman's questions did seem rather digging, Danya supposed it wouldn't hurt exactly to tell him where he was from. He did just get him out of a squeeze. And he didn't have to do that either.  At the very least he owed the man some answers. "Essyrn," Danya murmured. "That's my home. I know, I'm a long way from it.  And I think I have half the sand of the Moraki in my behind."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

A laugh barked out of him at the comment about the sand. How unfortunately placed! Well, they would take care of all that in no time at all. He dropped the mirth from his voice.

"Essyrn you say? My, that is a long way from home, darling. No wonder you are so hungry and weary, the trip must have been taxing." Roman's voice dripped with something akin to sympathy, or perhaps pity. It was a very long journey, he was led to understand, although he personally had never traveled beyond the borders of Serendipity. He didn't have much reason to venture beyond his lucrative home.

He pushed open the front door without so much as a knock, sauntering in like he owned the place. The normal occupant wouldn't mind, she was not in the city currently, so the house was left all to him, and he enjoyed it thoroughly.

All the benefit with none of the work.

"Now then, would you prefer food or cleansing first?" Roman questioned merrily as he strolled through the halls and into the dining room.

Lion

Taxing was only the beginning of it. Venturing out into a whole new area was daunting and Danya knew he could not trust just anyone. He did what he had to to get this far north, away from those that might hunt and track him. So he would take his fortunes where he might find them.

"Wow," was all that he managed to say then as he took in the well-laden home before him. It wasn't quite as large as his master's home had been. But it was pretty damn close. Whoever lived here - for it did not seem to be Roman - did well for themselves. It had his admiration for Danya could not deny his appreciation for beautiful things.

"I...I would love an opportunity to clean up if that would possible," he said, nearly breathless, and only then he was in the company of another. He glanced back to Roman. "Would that be all right? I wouldn't want to impose on whoever owns this home."

As if he wasn't already imposing enough on this Samaritan in front of him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

A soft chuckle escaped Roman at that reaction. He supposed 'wow' did seem appropriate. The woman had far more money than she seemed to know what to do with. It wasn't that Roman didn't appreciate her extravagant tastes; he was simply a little envious of them. Yes, he made a lot of money doing what he did, in addition to his inheritance, but even he did not live in quite this lap of luxury.

"It is no imposition at all. If it was I wouldn't have offered." Roman gestured for him to follow him further, slipping out into the back garden through a side door. This was the true jewel of the merchant's estate and Roman would have killed to have such a remarkable feature in his own home. Alas, he had the feeling such magic would have cost more than even he made. Not only to acquire, but to maintain would likely be a fortune.

Outside was a high-walled garden, with a small reservoir. It looked like a natural pond, with stone edging, strategic landscaping, and even a soothing little waterfall. Small tendrils of steam lifted from the water's surface, belying its appearance.

"Have you ever bathed in a hot spring?" Roman asked casually as he began shedding his clothing without as much as a backwards glance. "Our hostess paid an extraordinary amount for this little feature."

Lion

The garden was distraction enough and reminded him of the oases he used to visit back in the desert. Truly this was a lovely home. And it pleased Danya incredibly that this was no different. So even as they headed toward the hot spring, his attention immediately went toward the water. And the temptation to dive in without worry or regard to his tattered clothing was fleeting from mind.

Roman didn't seem to care, so why should he?

"All water is a hot spring in the Moraki," Danya joked and was pleased to see that his new companion wasn't shy. Too many people this far north seemed to be a little bit prudish if you asked him. Danya was accustomed to being barely clothed. It barely stayed on anyway. So he dropped his own clothing and scraped at his itchy skin.

He dusted off his arm and glanced at Roman then the water and approached it with little hesitation now. No imposition after all. "Is it magic?" he asked. "And who is this hostess? She...has remarkable kindness it would seem. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful. This is the first good luck I've had since I've come to Serendipity."

He sat at the rocks' edge and set a foot inside, the heat not at all perturbing. He felt it's warmth and sighed, breath hitching when he slid within, dunking his head beneath the surface for a long moment.  Breaking the surface, Danya threw his hair back, sighing and spewing water from his nostrils. "It's wonderful. Don't just stand there!" he laughed. "Join me!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"Is that so? Well I suppose the desert would keep the water fairly heated." Maybe one day he would have to take a true vacation and visit the Jewel of the Desert. Just once so that he could say that he had, and to experience the place for himself. While his customers were mostly Serenian, he did on occasion entertain visiting merchants from Adela and Essyrn, they usually brought with them rather interesting stories and tidbits of information about their homelands.

Beyond the most common of knowledge, of course.

"It is quite a remarkable piece of enchantment." Roman affirmed with a smile, watching Danya with unabashed interest as his companion stepped towards the water. "You are enjoying the hospitality of the Madam Lynette Larousse. She is a very good client of mine and was generous enough to allow my use of her residence during my stay in the city. Unfortunately the kindly Madam is off on business. I am sure she would have found you very...interesting."

That would be putting it mildly. Danya was very attractive. Perhaps it was for the best she wasn't there after all. Roman rather wanted to keep him for himself - no doubt Lynette would have seduced him with offers of keeping him as a personal pet. She'd made such offers to him before, but naturally he could never stay with a single lady - no matter how lovely.

"Don't fault me for admiring the view, darling. Appreciating beauty mustn't be rushed, you know." Focusing on the present and away from his ideas, Roman stepped into the tub, easing himself into the water and wading over to an innocuous looking rock. It was just a bit larger than most of the others, and when his hands slid over the smooth surface a soft click sounded and the front opened to reveal it was an ingeniously designed little cabinet with a few small bottles of sweetly scented soaps and oils.

Lion

The architecture of the pool itself was ingenious. Danya could appreciate the mastery of everything entailed, even the false door that Roman had clicked open and revealed the contents inside. Real bath oil. And even though a few of the containers looked empty, the odors were pungent enough and he could smell them from where they were.

Apparently Madam Lynette Larouse had some very good taste. And some favorite oils among others. Danya found himself grinning, almost too lost in the generosity displayed before him. If the bathing alone was this nice, he could only imagine what the food was like.

Eyes flitted to Roman, looking him over. He was a little older, although not unpleasant to look at, and he took a moment to soak him in. Fit, nice skin, handsome. Danya smirked a little and waded over toward the soap cabinet, grabbing a bar and griping it gingerly in hand. It smelled of spiced honey. Home. Essyrn.  And Danya pressed the bar between threaded fingers and let bubbles appear in his hands.

"I appreciate your appreciation," he said with a grin and let himself relax in the heated water. "Well, it seems our hostess keeps good company. And you're of some relation to her? Clearly, you've wiggled your way into her good graces to let you have a run of the house while she's away on business. As you say."  He smiled and brush the soap against his chest.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Roman always enjoyed his visits to this house; he could live in this bathing spring with the heated water and sun shining down on them over the privacy walls. The incubus plucked a bottle with jasmine oil from the cabinet and got out of Danya's way. After all, he bathed multiple times a day usually, aside from the pie that had been smeared on him, he was really clean. His companion on the other hand clearly needed this service.

"Oh good, it might have been awkward otherwise." Some people didn't appreciate that kind of attention. Knowing Danya did made things that much easier and appealing.

The pool wasn't all one depth, and Roman situated himself on a carved bench beneath the surface that left the water up to his chest. He dabbed a few drops of the oil on his skin, rubbing it in languidly and enjoying the way the steam diffused the scent and had it wafting around him.

"I wiggle lots of things in lots of places, darling. My clientele is exclusively wealthy and they tend to spoil me liberally with luxurious gifts. Very generous of them given how well they pay me to begin with." The cap went back on the bottle and it was set aside and Roman relaxed back against the stone side of the tub, still watching his new exotic friend. "My relationship to Madam Larousse is quite simple. I am her favorite whore."

Roman never was one to balk at embracing his position in the world.

Tags: