Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It is Tradition[m]

Started by Draconian, April 03, 2017, 08:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

[ @DragonSong ]

Deep breaths.

All he could hear was the ocean.

They were no where near the ocean and he'd never actually heard it, but his father had been there once and told him the sound of the wind in the trees kind of sounded like that. So, Red ducked his head down, had his eyes closed and waited to leave. It was Tradition. Carrying on the clan was a great honor and Red knew that he was only here because he had to be. All potential mates to the current female were put on display for choosing.

She would choose a few, use them for the next few weeks and then carry on. Sometimes there would be a child but... More often than not, there would be nothing, and things would carry on as normal until it happened again. Red was never chosen - he never wanted to be. This time though, he glanced to the hut. The designated hut for... Couples. Red took a deep breath, hating how his chest lurched and bile rose up his throat.

Of course he'd seen her. Minala. The Opal. The chosen to guide the words of Fire.

Red had guarded her door on more than one occasion.

It pained him because he knew that he would not be chosen. Still, when she exited the hut - he knew she had been making in comfortable, it was going to be her home for the next few weeks. There were very few of these huts, meant to promote fertility and strong children, promote... Red looked up and away, dwarfed by the other males. Most of them common colours. Reds, blues. There was a purple who looked buff and kind of scary. He'd be picked.

The Opal was desirable and he knew these males had spoken to her before.

Where as he had simply made  eye contact before quickly looking away. Even if he was chosen... Red stained the flesh by his scales, he wasn't even sure what to do anyway. So, he closed his eyes, listened to the ocean of trees and tried not to think about it. The sounds were drowned out until everything was over, things were chosen and he'd have to guard the hut and listen to... Eugh.

DragonSong

I'm going to be sick

It was ridiculous. She'd spent the last several hour straightening up the little hut and making it liveable for the next few weeks and, while she'd felt a little nervous, it was nothing like this. She'd even been a little excited.

Yes, this was what was expected of her. It was her duty. But it was also a chance, an opportunity she'd never had before to just...connect.

Okay, so she didn't really know how this whole thing was supposed to work. But she was confident she'd figure out. She'd choose her mate, and they'd spend these two weeks together, and maybe she'd have a youngling- and wouldn't that be new and interesting! But even if she didn't, she would at least have someone new to talk to, someone who wouldn't just drop his eyes and murmur her title respectfully at the end of every question or brief conversation.

So she'd been smiling a bit to herself when she stepped out of the hut, imagining what today could turn into. Then she'd seen all the prospective males lined up and suddenly she wanted to run and hide.

What was wrong with her? She was the Opal, damnit, she was used to pressure, duty, responsibility. Her eyes flickered over the males and she took a breath, trying to fortify herself, then stepped closer.

Her gaze was immediately drawn to the large purple, Amethyst. They'd spoken a few times and she gave him a small, friendly smile. He'd be a good choice. She knew everyone was expecting him to be her first pick. Her eyes flicked up and down the line again. Red, red, blue, red, blue, blue...

She didn't...feel anything. Perhaps it was naive, but she'd hoped there'd be...something. A scent, a tickle in her chest, just something to help her make her choice. She had to bite back a sigh as she padded cautiously down the line, ears flickering a bit nervously as her eyes flirted from one male to the next.

She reached the end of the line and turned to make her way back. Her heart was pounding nervously. She had to make a choice, she was taking too long- red blue red blue purple blue, just pick one!

Blue. Not a Sapphire, just...blue. She froze. Slowly, Minala stepped toward the little Ruby with sky blue eyes. She recognized him, knew he was a guard, but she didn't think they'd ever spoken before.

Something clicked into place and she smiled, flashing sharp teeth for a moment, and held out her hand to him. "Red, right? Come with me."

Draconian

Wait what.

Red's eyes flicked to Minala.

His eyes were wide for a moment and he cast a glance over his shoulder to make sure that was indeed him. It felt like his heart was going to stock and he felt the looks he was getting, someone nudged his back to push him forward slightly and he took Minala's hand, palm to palm. What. What was going on.

"Um," Red blinked at her, mouth falling open after a moment before he just shook his head, mouth having gone dry. Was this happened? This was happening. Everything felt cold and he squeezed his eyes shut for a moment. It was fine. Everything would be fine, right? right. "Yes, of course, It's an honor."

An honor he wasn't really sure how to deal with.

They would... Connect... And then in a few days she'd choose a second. A few days after that, a third. The more variables the more likely she'd... Red was sick at the thought. He looked down at her hand in his, the rainbow scales on her arm such a contrast to his dark red and... He looked into her maroon eyes and could barely breath. A deep breath and he leaned in close to her before he remembered and pulled away.

Inappropriate to do that out here.

"I am... At your disposal," He said softly, nervous. No doubt he was trembling. He brought Minala's hand to his lips to press a kiss to the back of her hand before he let go and started towards the hut. Moving to stand at the door, waiting for His to proceed. No. Not His. Couldn't be His. Wasn't allowed to be His. Red ducked his head down, hands behind his back, waiting for guidance. This would be fine. Everything would be fine.

DragonSong

Oh no.

He seemed...surprised, certainly, and she couldn't say she hadn't expected that, but also nervous. Much more nervous than she would have expected. Minala just stared at him when he leaned toward her, not sure how to react. Was he going to-?

Then he stopped himself, kissed her hand instead, and she offered a smile. She let him pull away to move toward the hut and glanced back over her shoulder at the others.

She felt almost guilty, for some reason, and gave them all a smile and a nod before following her mate. Well, her first mate.

Oh by the Fire, this was really happening.

When she reached the door, she let her hand flick out to brush her fingers against the ruby's wrist. "It's okay," she murmured, low enough that only he would hear. "I'm...nervous too."

Was that why she'd chosen him? Because she was nervous? She honestly wasn't entirely sure herself, but she shook the thought from her head as she stepped into the hut, then turned to wait for Red expectantly.

Draconian

A little twitch of his ears and his eyes found hers.

Red let himself smile a little, head tilted slightly. A deep breath and ...  Stepped into the hut. It was out in a woosh and he rolled his shoulders once the entrance was closed. Fire, his hear was pouding. He could feel it in his throat, his wrists. His head felt light and his chest felt heavy. Another deep breath and he looked to Minala.

"I..." He looked at the ceiling for a moment and then down at the ... Nest. Pillows and blankets and comfort for the ... Couple. "I've never been chosen before," He admitted softly, looking away, hand holding his wrist, "Um... Did you... Are you..." Red moved and carefully sat down beside the fabric of the wall, though not against it. "Did you want to talk?" It was easier than... That.

DragonSong

She sighed quietly and found a seat for herself in the nest she'd helped make, legs curled to one side and tail to the other. Her ears flickered and she offered Red a small smile. "We can talk," she said softly, head tilted to one side.

She took a breath. "I...was not expecting this, honestly." She'd chosen him on impulse, but she couldn't say she regretted the decision. A little awkwardly, she bit at her lip, notnreally sure what to say.

"Do you want to, um..." She gestured to the pillows and blankets around her. "It's more comfortable over here," she offered with another small smile.

Draconian

Wasn't expecting... him?

Red got up quickly, moving towards Minala before he sat down beside her. At least he was still bigger than her. A breath was let out and he closed his eyes for a moment.

Minala chose him. That meant he... A quick glance to her bodu and he closed his eyes, taking in her scent. Even though he knew they wede just going to sit together awkwardly fkr the next few days at least he'd remember.   

"You're goijg to have lovely children," he said softly, tail curlinf around dor comfort, pressed tight againat hers  Red looked down and away for a moment before he started to lean in.

"Minala?" He looked to the entance of the hut and back to her, "did you pick me becauae you didn't want yoiung?" He supposed it would make sense. He'd be too embarrased to say they hadn't even tried.

DragonSong

A small smile curved her lips when he mentioned children and she found herself leaning into his shoulder slightly. Maybe this wouldn't be so nerve-wracking after all.

Then her eyes widened and she twisted her head to blink at him. Her tail twitched, then twined around his almost unconsciously. "Why would you think that?" she asked, startled and genuinely confused. "Of course I want children."

Well. She knew she had to have children, she'd never really thought about if she wanted them or not...but it would be nice, she thought, to have someone with her all the time, someone she could love and care for.

She shook her head, still staring at him with wide eyes. "Red..." Carefully, she raised her hand to lay her palm against his cheek. "Are you- did you think...?" She bit her lip and glanced down. "I know we've never really...talked much. But I- I just thought..."

Draconian

The tail coiling felt nice. Red's eyes closed briefly and he soaked it in. For just a few moments he could bask in the fact that Minala chose him. Deep breaths. His blue eyes snapped to hers and he chewed on his lower lip.

A slight flinch at the touch and he looked away. "You chose me so you wouldn't..." he looked at the pile of blankets they were sitting on. A flush rose up his neck and he looked to the entrance of the hut again, "you wouldn't have to y'know. It's okay. I understand." He gave her a little hesitant smile and ducked his head down.

"At the very least we can talk right? I've always wanted to talk to you." But he was small and just a guard. When would she have ever had the time to talk to him?

DragonSong

Minala's eyes went even wider as she realized what he was getting at. Did he really think she'd done that?

Well, she supposed she couldn't expect him to know her better than that- Fire, none of them really did- but it still stung. Did he really think she'd shirk her duty like that?

But then her indignation faded as she looked at his face, the hesitant little smile before his eyes dropped. He really didn't think she could want him, didn't he.

"Red." She laid her hand against his cheek again, cradling his face in her palms to lift his head so she could meet his eyes. Beautiful blue eyes. She couldn't help imagining what a little one would look like with those eyes as her thumbs rubbed gently over the scales on his cheeks.

Her tail curved a little tighter around his, the tip stroking his gently, and she smiled. "We can talk if you want," she murmured. "I- I'm glad you want to." And she really was. It was rare that she got a chance to just carry on a normal conversation with someone. "But that's not why I chose you. Not the only reason."

She let one hand drop to his leg, fingers splayed over his thigh. Her heartbeat picked up and she tried to ignore the heat rising in her face as her eyes dropped slightly. "If you- if you...don't want to, we can just...tell the others we tried." The thought stung. She'd never imagined the male she'd pick wouldn't want her. Well, honestly she couldn't imagine any male not wanting her, with the way they always treated her.

But she didn't want to make him uncomfortable. She bit her lip, glancing up at him through pale lashes.

Draconian

It was rude to ask why.

Still. Red kept his head tucked down, eyes staring at the ground. His title. His name was spoken and he looked into her eyes, face smooshed slightly by her hands and... She was so lovely. The words almost fell on deaf ears before they perked up and forward, a visible change of his attention.

Then, a warm hand was on his thigh and he swallowed carefully because he knew if too much blood rushed away from his face he'd feel dizzy. "We... What?"

Right.

The reason they were in here.

"I don't think i'm... Very worthy of you," he admitted, looking at her hand on his leg while he slowly moved his hand to keep his groin covered. "I dont think they expect you to... y'know the first time you..." he motioned to her abdomen, flushing again and looking away. Everything would be fine. He sighed after a moment and looked to Minala.

"I dont even have a real name," his voice was soft, but he pressed his face into the palm that remained at his cheek, "Is it my eyes? I know I'm not as... Intimidating." Meaning, he was small and not nearly as genetically attractive.

DragonSong

Nala's eyes flicked down to watch the movement of his hand curiously before moving back to his face. "I think you're worthy of me," she said quietly, scooting just a bit closer. Her smile widened when he leaned into her hand. A small victory, but she would take it.

"You don't need a name," she added, a little softer. "I mean... I don't think having a name should mean you're any more or less worthy." She ducked her head to try to catch his gaze, smile still in place. "And yes, I like your eyes. I think they're lovely. But that's not the only reason I picked you."

Deciding to go out on a limb a bit, she pressed closer so she could rest her cheek on his shoulder, nuzzling gently into his neck. "I didn't- I didn't want someone more...intimidating." She frowned. Logically, she knew the bigger, stronger males were supposed to have a better chance of actually giving her children, and they'd be protective fathers.

But she wanted him. The little ruby with the sky blue eyes whose blushes made her smile. She slid her tail along his, curling and uncurling as she leaned into his side.

Draconian

There 'ceremony' had started when dusk had started and aside from the candles in their little love den the area was dark and the night was quiet. Red sucked in a breath when she pressed close to him, closing his eyes for a moment before he slowly curled an arm over her shoulders.

"Are you tired?" He asked, breath short. His heart was hammering in his chest and no doubt she'd feel his pulse. "We could... sleep. It's... um... late."

DragonSong

She bit back a sigh. Yeah, she'd definitely made him uncomfortable. Pulling back, she gave him a smile and a small nod. "If you like."

It was rather late... And this was her first ceremony, perhaps no one expected her to...get right down to it the first night.

Her tail was still coiled around his and she extracted it carefully, curving it around her hip as she turned onto her side and snuggled into the nest of pillows and blankets. Her hand on his leg slid up to  circle her fingers around his wrist, pulling his arm over her waist as she urged him down with her.

They could at least sleep together, right? Her cheeks colored slightly around her scales and she gave him an almost questioning look as she snuggled closer.

Draconian

By the time his turn ended he knew his lips would be chewed up. Gnawing upon them as he was. Red took a deep breath, following her lead. He watched her fingers move from his leg to his wrist and.. Deep breaths. All would be fine. A tremble ran through him and he swallowed audibly.

Silently instructed, Red slowly moved to tuck himself in behind Nala.

His hand moved to press against her flesh to hold her close. Thats what she wanted, right? His tail curled around to drape over their legs beside hers. Just a smidge up and he'd be able to touch her... Heat washed over his face again and he curled an elbow under his head and closed his eyes.

The candle would burn out on its own and...

"I'm sorry," he spoke into her hair, "I'm... Really nervous." His words were a soft admission and he couldnt slow his heartbeat against her back, "um.. Have nice dreams?" His voice was soft and he closed his eyes, sleep didnt visit him. Though he didnt move, because Nala wanted him there and who was he to deny her

DragonSong

The Opal smiled as she felt him settle in beside her. He still seemed tense, but it was a start. She could feel his breath tickle the back of her neck when he spoke and it sent a shiver up her spine, making her tail curl, then flick back to brush against his again.

She smiled, cuddling back against him. "It's okay, Red. We can just sleep tonight." She paused, then twisted her head to glance over her shoulder at him. "Do you, um..."

She wasn't sure how to ask the question that pressed against her lips and furrowed her brow. She'd been given her name when she was very young, she wasn't sure how... "Do you have...something else you like to be called?" She knew some of the guards had nicknames for each other, but they never used them around her.

Draconian

It was a relief that she wasn't expecting him to... Perform.

Deep breaths.

Red closed his eyes, calmed his breathing and gave a little twitch when she snuggled in against him. His lower lip was between his teeth again. This was... Awkward. And nerve wracking and... Not terrible but not what he expected to do tonight. Still, Nala was curled up in his arms and he gently reached a hand up before... No. He tucked it against her stomach again.

"I... No." He said simply, "I'm just Red," his voice was soft, having never really considered a real name, having never done anything to deserve one. His eyes closed and he pressed his face to the back of Minala's neck, mouth against the top of her spine. "You smell nice," He said softly, taking deep breaths, "Different. In a good way."

DragonSong

"Red, then." She stiffened slightly when he pressed closer, then relaxed. Her eyes flickered down to the movement of his hand when it twitches up, then tucked against her stomach, but she didn't comment. Carefully, she reached up to pull her hair over her shoulder so it wasn't ticking his face as he nuzzled into her.

"I- thank you?" She chuckled quietly and impulsively took his hand on her belly and brought it up, nuzzling into his wrist to feel his pulse. "You do too," she murmured sleepily. Different, but nice. She'd never really been so close to someone before, not all cuddled up like this, and the way his scent wrapped around her was at once both exhilarating and soothing, in a strange way.

Draconian

The moment her hand touched his, he squeezed his eyes shut and his breath picked up. Red's breath shuddered against Minala's neck and he swallowed carefully before... Was she nuzzling him? The heartbeat picked up and he swallowed carefully, eyes slowly opening up. Right. This was fine.

They were expected to do worse things.

Better things?

Red closed his eyes again and cleared his throat, trying to find a way to keep his wrist near her face 'cause she liked it there without smoothing his arm between her breasts. It was, of course, a lost cause, and he just lived with it. They were squishy and he wasn't really sure if he was being rude or not. Still... Nervous and hesitant, "Have good dreams, Minala," he whispered against her back, snuggling down to sleep. At least this felt nice, no matter how nerve wracking it was.

DragonSong

Minala smiled and let her eyes drift closed. "You too," she murmured, allowing herself to start to drift off. She kept herself as close to him as she could manage, pleased that he'd left his arm tucked around her body.

It didn't take long for her to fall asleep, despite the nervous little flutters her heart gave every so often when she felt his breath tickle against her neck. It was a nice enough feeling, but still it put her on edge a bit. Soon enough though, sleep claimed her.

By the time she woke, Minal found she'd twisted in Red's arms so her head was tucked up under his chin, her one arm draped loosely over his waist and her tail twined gently around his, leg hooked slightly over his hip. She blinked sleepily and yawned, twisting her head slightly to hide her face against his chest.

Tags: