Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Comfortable existence...most of the time.

Started by Anonymous, March 16, 2006, 10:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Yes, please," she replied, laying her dress on the table and returning to the drow's side.  "Felyn'afay," she asked quietly, "where...why am I being taken?  What's going on?"

Anonymous

He reached over hand handed her his water after she put her dress down.  Then she asked more questions.  Hmmm...  "You're coming with me to our guild.  And as for the second question, I do not know.  I was told to keep you safe.  But I wasn't told why.  And I chose not to ask. "He answered simply, grabbing his mask from the counter.  He sat down at the table after pulling a seat out for her.  He leaned over and placed his elbow on the table, his palm propping up his chin, and he crossed his legs, a little more feminine than masculine.  He sat and waited for her to finish asking any questions and eat her apple.

Anonymous

She sits in the chair he pulled out for her.  "An asassin's guild?" she asks, watching him come around and sit.

Anonymous

"More or less." He answered.  He sat with her through her questions and answers while she ate.  Once she finished, he got up and replaced his mask.  He told her to wait by the door while he put the lights, and then he met her by the door and walked her out.  He wondered which clothes she had chosen.  He closed the door behind him, the familiar click heard, and then they were off.  More questions could be asked on the way.  They strolled down the streets and he kept on his guard.  He'd been feeling a presence since thy left.  He touched her arm, running his hand down to hers, taking it gently, and making sure she was close to his side.  He didn't want t worry her, and kept his cool.  He seemed like he was before.  Just casually holding her hand as they walked.  

It would be a while before they reached their destination, so they had time to converse.  It would be daylight before they got there at this rate.  But he didn’t mind.  He wasn’t tired at all.  He was used to these long nights, although, Temesca probably wasn’t.  Soon, she would probably fall behind and he would end up slowing pace with her.  Having her tired wouldn’t do.  So they walked leisurely, Fel still keeping his hidden guard up.  He seemed nice enough, answering her questions to the best of his ability.

Anonymous

She was getting tired, and it was still a few hours before dawn.  She was having trouble lifting her feet and keeping her eyes open.  They had long ago passed the inn where she worked, and though the apple and water had been good while they lasted, she was now running low on energy, and would soon be hungry, if she didn't fall asleep first.

She forced herself to keep from leaning against Felyn, though she really wanted to, and asked another question, though this was the first in some time.  "...I'm so tired...when will we arrive?"

Anonymous

Their stalkers used her voice as a cover for their darts.  Felyn'afay's hearing was far too sharp for that sort of ploy.  Spinning in place, he simultaneously nudged Temesca aside and, in rapid succession, batted the four deadly missiles out of the air with the blade which hadn't been visible a mere moment ago.  His free hand was presented to Temesca's face, palm first, to indicate she should remain silent for the time being.  The rest of his body was a taught spring, ready for the most subtle of movements, and his mind had quickly shifted into a kind of killing trance that heightened his latent abilities to detect aura.

The attackers were numbered two, and they knew their greatest chance at success had been foiled.  One at a time, they presented themselves for close combat.  One would try to distract the drow and draw him away from his charge.  The other would go in for the kill.  For starters, however, they would both attack him.  They, too, wore dark clothes, not that Fel would notice.  The first one visible to Temesca, however, weilded a single ornate dagger.  The second carried a chained sickle.  If her eyes weren't too tired and the darkness too thick, she may also have noticed the small symbols emblazoned on the assassins' headbands which would more than likely clue her in to why she was under attack in the first place.  Alas, it was not to be revealed until she arrived at Fel's guild.

Time wasn't to be wasted, and the sickle user flung his weapon at Fel.  With staggered timing, the dagger user rushed in low.  The trick was to distract Fel's weapon so the dagger could score a hit low on the drow's body.  Hopefully, the dagger user could continue to keep Fel occupied while the sickle user could utilize his range weapon for the girl's disposal.  That was not to be so, either.  Rather than foolishly tangling his blade with the sickle's chain, Fel avoided it, instead focusing on the charging dagger user.  Not completely expecting such, but hardly incompetent, the dagger user parried Fel's leading blade and danced aside, giving his partner the chance to pull his weapon back to him.  Dagger jabbed at Fel's back from a crouch, but he somersaulted over and behind the man's foolish attack.  He would have been spitted on the drow's weapon at that moment had not the sickle deflected it.  The weapon had been set in a whirl and was cycling around for another pass, this one aimed for Fel's ribs.  Seemingly, the whirling blade passed right through the elf, but he appeared perfectly fine a foot or two away from where his after image had been sliced in two.  Jumping toward this assailant, Fel's body disappeared and reappeared in a series of blurry after images that zigzagged their way toward the sickle user who was still trying to bring his weapon back under complete control.  It was too late for him when the tip of Fel's own blade was pushed through the man's wrist.  He would have screamed had not the point continued on through his vocal chords, so he was merely left with a look of agony hidden by his own mask.  

The other assassin, catching his chance to act, turned away from the grappled two to attempt to accomplish his task.  He thought he'd have enough time to do the deed before Fel might free himself of his dying comrade.  Sprinting toward the place Temesca had taken cover, he flipped his dagger to a more balanced grip which he used to hurl it with precision accuracy once he'd gained a favorable angle.

Anonymous

((I'll assume that he hasn't thrown the knife yet, and is only preparing to.  That last bit was kinda confusing.))

Adrenaline had forced Temesca back into consiousness for the time being, and she had thrown herself behind some barrels as Fel fought the two asassins.  Her metaphysical shields were thrown up so she woudln't feel the pain of the assassin being killed, but she didn't see the other one charging her until it was almost too late.  With a cry, she pushed the barrels she was taking cover behind towards Dagger, then fled as quickly as she could to the side, trying to put as much distance as she could between her and the blade-weilder.

((Bah, short.))

Anonymous

Fel's blind eyes watched his victim.  Once the man was dead, his blade was pulled free. That instant, could feel the dead man's partner heading toward his task.  This was inconvenient.  The sound of metal clashing was heard, and as a spark lit the air as kunai knocked the dagger off its path, sticking into a wall and the dagger spiraling as it flailed to the ground.  It skidded along, coming to a stop beside Temesca. How he saw the shot, was a mystery in itself, but he never missed his target.  In the instant the dagger hit the ground, the spot he stood was empty. A gust of wind hit the assassin and a voice whispered in his ear from behind, one bladed arm around his neck.  "You fail." For a moment, he stood silent, as if reading the man mentally.  He came to a final decision after his brow furrowed.  "...And this will be your fate." He said softly, ad of predicting the man's death. He had been judged, and his life would end here. His blade retracted with a swift shink, and he twisted the man's neck, a snap heard.  

He had felt the man before he died.  If it were not is end, he would have lived. The dead man fell forward on the ground when Fel let him go, a hidden blade dropping from his hand.  He would have gutted Fel.  The man would have lived if he had not swung his blade at the last second. His life would have been spared in mercy.  The trouble was gone, and fell relaxed, his mental state reverting to what it once was.  He sighed and looked over to Temesca.  She should have stayed where she was.  If she were behind him, she would have been safer, but making distance put Fel at a slight disadvantage with his handicap.  Calmly he walked on over to her and extended a hand.  "Stay with me, next time.  You could have been hurt... " His eyes softened and he sighed. "Okay?" he tried to coax gently.

Anonymous

Tem could only watch Fel kill the second man with horror in her eyes.  Once more, he killed in front of her, and for her.  These were no common thugs, though.  These were trained asassins, men who, for whatever reason, wanted her dead.  What had she done to merit that treatment?  She'd never killed anything in her life, not even little bugs!  So why would asassins want her dead....?  Such murderous talent was not necessary for her.  She didn't know how to fight.  A street thug could overpower her and kill her if he so pleased, so why were such lengths taken for her?

She looked up at the blind drow's outstreched hand.  "I'm sorry," she replied, taking his hand and pulling herself to her feet, feeling her legs tremble.  "I just got so scared, I had to run.  I'll stay behind you next time..."  She looked down at the one whose neck had been snapped.  "They were after *me*," she says.  "Why would they go after *me*?  I-I'm not dangerous, I've never hurt *anyone*...."  She looks back up at Fel, not expecting an answer, but she had to ask it of someone.  "Why were they trying to kill *me*?"

Anonymous

He helped Temesca to her feet and held her hand still.  His blind eyes faked looking at her while she explained herself.  He could only shrug at her questions though.  She would find out as soon as he took her to his guild.  So, he waited for her to become silent again, but she wouldn’t give him a chance to speak.  A finger now rested on her face like before, brushing from the side of her face to find her lips again. He held them there for a moment, taking in the silence. He knew she was scared, but she had to cam down.   "Well, you know now.  The closer you are to me, the safer you'll be." He replied softly.  He slowly removed his finger and veered his eyes away.  That comment could be used much more personally if, you though about it.  It practically asked her to cling to him.  But he had though about that after he said it...as usual.  "Come.  We should be on our way." He was about to walk with her in hand, but stopped.  She was tired...  "Do you need something to eat...?" he offered softly.  She would need energy, because they couldn’t stop now.

Anonymous

Food...how could anyone think of food at a time like this?  Of course, the same could be said of sleep, or the light flush on her cheeks at his finger on her lips.  How could she think of such things when her life was in the hands of the assassin before her?  After seeing the talent he had, one would think that it would be a bit easier, and it was.  Felyn'afay was obviously capable of doing what needed to be done, so she needed not worry about losing her life while under his charge.

She nods a bit.  "I am a bit hungry," she replies, "and tired..."  She thinks for a bit on this.  "...will I be safe enough to rest when we reach your guild?" she asks.

Anonymous

"Yes." Fel replied to her question with certainty.  "We will get you some food to keep you awake. And then be on our way." He continued.  He altered course slightly.  He needed to find a place that was open all night.  That would be the only thing open late enough right now.  He heard the sound of a pub a little bit later.  It was better than nothing.  When they got closer, he could smell food.  Good, there was a small diner in there.  He led her inside.  He could smell it better.  There were good people in here.  Honest people.  "Find a spot you'd like to sit." He told her.  It was more of a reason for her to guide him along, but he wouldn’t admit something like that.  She guided him to a table (I assume) and sat down.  He sat down across from her and pulled off his hood and took off his mask.  The people didn’t seem to mind.  They did take note of the guild seal on his arm.  He was official and that’s all they needed to know.  

A cheerful waitress came up and handed them both a menu.  She greeted them kindly and told them to take their time and she'd be right back over the general music and chattering at the bar.  Fel opened his menu, trying to act normal and pretended to skim the selection.  He was quiet and 'Indecisive.'  "What would you like?" he asked Temesca softly.  He'd be better off if he ordered what she did.

Anonymous

She was still terrified.  It didn't matter that this seemed to be a safe enough place.  She had thought she was safe enough in her own neighborhood, and look how wrong she had been then.

She watched Fel pretend to scan the menu and wondered why he kept up the charade of being sighted.  She hadn't even looked at the menu when he asked her what she wanted.  "I don't know," she replied.  It was harder to think on what her stomach was asking for than she had anticipated.  Six men dead in one night, and all because of her.  What was going on?  She looked down at the menu.  None of the food seemed appetizing.  The full weight of everything that had happened was finally hitting her.  She was wanted dead, and badly.  She couldn't understand why.  It was like wanting to kill  a nun, right down to the "chaste and virginal" part.

Anonymous

Fel lowered his menu and sighed just then.  "I know you're scared.  But please...calm down." He told her.  "I wont let anything happen to you." He coaxed her softly.  "I know this isn’t going to be easy for you, but relax.  Please relax." He slid his hand across the table and found hers.  He grabbed it softly and held it.  "There is nothing else I can tell you." He said quietly, but loud enough for her to hear over the general noise.  "I cannot share the pain you hold right now.  But I can tell you that the pain you are causing yourself is wont help." He told her calmly.  "You need your strength, so eat.  We will arrive at the guild soon enough." He still held her hand, but looked down at the menu before him, pretending to read it.  

"Have you decided on anything?" he asked after a few moments.  And that’s about when the waitress came back around.  She greeted them cheerfully again and asked their orders, or their drinks if they were still deciding on their meals.

Anonymous

She was only half-listening to Fel as he took her hand and pleaded with her to calm down, promising her safety.  He didn't *really* understand, per se, but he did truly want her to calm down.  The guildhall was close, he said.  If she could just stay calm enough to make it to the guildhall, then she'd be fine.  She'd be safe.  She forced herself to focus on the ebony elf before her.  He had kept her safe twice already.  She'd be fine, as long as she stayed with him.

The waitress came up and asked in an almost impossibly cheery voice what they wanted.  Tem simply ordered a water, but kept her hand in Fel's, desperate for some kind of comfort.  She looked back to Fel when the waitress took Fel's order and walked off, and realized that they were still holding hands.  Sure, she had decided to keep holding on to him, but she didn't quite realize what was implied by it until she stared point-blank at their hands and felt her cheeks burn half-heartedly.  She was just too tired, too exhausted to worry about what the people around them thought their relationship was.

"I'll calm down," she murmurs.  "I'm too tired to be scared anymore.....I just want to be safe."

Anonymous

The waitress distracted him for the moment and asked his order.  Hmmm...  Hoping for something easy, he ordered a simple bowl of soup and a glass of water as well.  The waitress took Temesca's order and then his, looking him over with a near flirty smile.  He smiled back at her innocently, unable to see what she was up to.  The waitress walked away just as cheerfully as she came and brought their orders to the cook.  

He relaxed a little, his hand loosening ever so slightly on Temesca's with relief.  "That's good. Your trust is all that I need to ensure your complete safety."  He replied gently.  It was true.  If she trusted him, he could act more freely and protect her closer.  Though it may have sounded a little corny, he meant it honestly.  "Now, are you sure you don't want anything to eat?" he asked with a hint of concern lingering in his voice.  She only ordered water...she should at least eat something...

Anonymous

"I lost my appetite when those assassins attacked," she replied quietly, looking down and slowly releasing his hand after a few moments.  She didn't even notice the waitress' flirty glance at Fel; not that she would've really cared.  What good would a visual flirt do to attract a blind man?  "I just want to sleep now."

Anonymous

"Hmmm..." he replied to her response, his hand returning to his lap after she let go.  "I understand..." he answered to her first statement.  She needed to eat...  He wasn't about to force her to eat though.  If she wasn’t hungry, she wasn’t hungry...  "But you should still eat.  You need your strength." He said after Temesca mentioned that she wanted to sleep.  "You can rest once we arrive at the guild." His words were kind and his voice attempting to be understanding.  

A little while later, the waitress returned with his soup and their water.  She set it down on the table accurately and swiftly, happy to serve.  She had no idea Fel was blind, and still made her subtle attempts, assuming there was no relation between the Drow and the woman.  He was a guild boy, so that made him up for grabs in her mind.  

Fel thanked the waitress and smiled kindly before she walked off.  He returned his attention to the bowl before him and took in the heat and smell.  It smelled good, though he could bet he's had better.  "Are you sure you wouldn’t like any?" he offered Temesca some of his soup before he started.

Anonymous

She looked at the soup.  It looked quite delicious, and she felt her stomach complain slightly at just having water to look forward to.  Even though she hated to think of taking his food, he *was* offering....maybe just a little bit, then..... "I'll have some," she replied, wondering if she was doing it for herself or for him.  She gently took the bowl and spoon from Fel, keeping her eyes on him, then looked down at the food while she had it.  Just a few bites, she told herself, just enough to satisfy him.  She took a small bite and almost made a face.  She'd cooked much better before, though this soup wasn't *too* terrible.  She took another bite and another, catching the eye of the waitress as the woman passed by a few more times, trying to catch Fel's attention.  Then Tem realized what the woman was doing, and she did make a face.  Fel didn't need the distraction of a woman flirting with him, whether he could percieve her advances or not, and so makes sure the woman sees when Tem gives Fel the soup back, murmuring "thank you" quietly enough that only he could hear.

She then settles into drinking her water, telling herself that all this madness would be over soon enough.

Anonymous

Fel was happy that she said yes.  He gladly scooted the bowl toward her and let her have her fill.  He smiled softly again.  He acted a little more relaxed in public, like a normal person.  He could hear her eating and was relieved.  She probably hadn’t eaten anything besides that apple in a while.  Temesca finished and thanked him then.  "It's all right.  It's the whole reason we came." He reminded her.  "You can have more if you like.  Or you can order something else." He offered kindly.

The waitress did see Temesca's little move and she died down, leaving the two alone.  Maybe they were a couple... Drat...  And she'd seen him in her before.  He had no woman then.  She felt unlucky, but still kept her cheeriness for ll the customers she served.