Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Don't Fear The Reaper (Drosera!)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, September 25, 2017, 04:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Wallace ducked as he ran, rock barely missing him by inches. The sound of the mob behind him was one he had grown all too accustomed to as of late- this was the third time this month he'd been run out of the village he'd been staying at. Gripping his stave tightly, Wallace ducked into an alley. "Gotta get out of here," he thought numbly as the mob dispersed, presumably to try and cut him off at the other end. "Gotta get out of here, Mayor Appletooth will have my head if don't."

What had Wallace done wrong? He only wanted to help the mayor rebuild the town hall, what was wrong with that? He even told Mayor Appletooth not to freak out before he created the zombies! I mean sure, the mayor didn't know Wallace was a necromancer before hiring him, but that's no reason to call him a freak! And how was Wallace supposed to know that one of the bodies he resurrected was the mayor's great-grandmother? He had tried to calm things down by explaining that a body is nothing more then the shell a soul inhabits, and that it wasn't really Granny Beatrice, but Mr. Appletooth would have none of it. And then Wallace had given him his name, and Appletooth realized whose son he must be...

Reaching the end of the alley, Wallace sighed in relief. His pursuers hadn't gotten there in time to cut him off it would seem, giving him a chance to escape! Rushing out of the alleyway, Wallace turned to the right...

And immediately slammed face first into somebody. 

Drosera

Quote from: Eckhart_Von_Musel on September 25, 2017, 04:49:27 AM
Wallace ducked as he ran, rock barely missing him by inches. The sound of the mob behind him was one he had grown all too accustomed to as of late- this was the third time this month he'd been run out of the village he'd been staying at. Gripping his stave tightly, Wallace ducked into an alley. "Gotta get out of here," he thought numbly as the mob dispersed, presumably to try and cut him off at the other end. "Gotta get out of here, Mayor Appletooth will have my head if don't."

What had Wallace done wrong? He only wanted to help the mayor rebuild the town hall, what was wrong with that? He even told Mayor Appletooth not to freak out before he created the zombies! I mean sure, the mayor didn't know Wallace was a necromancer before hiring him, but that's no reason to call him a freak! And how was Wallace supposed to know that one of the bodies he resurrected was the mayor's great-grandmother? He had tried to calm things down by explaining that a body is nothing more then the shell a soul inhabits, and that it wasn't really Granny Beatrice, but Mr. Appletooth would have none of it. And then Wallace had given him his name, and Appletooth realized whose son he must be...

Reaching the end of the alley, Wallace sighed in relief. His pursuers hadn't gotten there in time to cut him off it would seem, giving him a chance to escape! Rushing out of the alleyway, Wallace turned to the right...

And immediately slammed face first into somebody.
It would be hard to immediately tell what sort of person Wallace had slammed into, what with the explosion of papers, scrolls, and books that erupted like feathers from a startled goose. Words like "Fell", "curse", "cure", and "heart" were common enough to be noticable among the flying literature.

Also quite noticable was the high-pitched "Oof!" that erupted from the poor bystander as she fell flat on her tush. Wallace hadn't hit her that hard, but she wasn't exactly the most intimidating physical specimen even in the best of circumstances.

The small woman struggled to push the mane of flaming red hair from her face with one hand while scooping at her freed documents with the other, utterly failing at both tasks.

"I'm so sorry, I should have been looking where I was going," she stammered. Road dust had coated the back of her white dress, but she didn't seem to have noticed that - or else she simply lacked a third hand with which to do anything about it. "I wasn't paying attention, I was too busy trying to figure out what all the commotion was, it's all my fault."

Finally, she gave an exasperated sigh and ceased her frantic scrambling. She peeked up at Wallace with the only eye that was unhindered by her hair. "Are you ok? Did I hurt you?"

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Books and scrolls were scattered on the ground as the woman Wallace ran into fell over. "Uh, um, sorry!" the young necromancer sputtered as he hastily looked behind him. "I can hear the mob, but I can't see them. Did I lose them?"

Wallace bent down and quickly began to help the woman gather her papers. "Well, uh, I'm fine." he said awkwardly. "I'm more worried about you, you're really small..."

Wallace trailed off. "Did I just say that to her face?"

"Um..." he said, handing the papers he'd gathered to the woman. "Uh, here." Wallace stood back up, offering his hand to the woman so as to help her do the same...

"There he is!" a voice yelled from down the street. "There's the necromancer! And he has a friend! Get them!"

"Shit" Wallace thought. He gave the woman a timid look. "We gotta run!"

Drosera

D'mina accepted the proffered hand and scrambled to her feet. "No, I'm fine--"

Quote from: Eckhart_Von_Musel on November 10, 2017, 05:34:07 AM

"There he is!" a voice yelled from down the street. "There's the necromancer! And he has a friend! Get them!"

"Shit" Wallace thought. He gave the woman a timid look. "We gotta run!"

Mina gawked at the angry mob, regretting at once her decision to look for the source of the commotion. She nearly acted on her first impulse, which was to step forward and proclaim in an authoritative voice that Serendipity was a nation of laws, and this sort of vigilante justice was entirely inappropriate.

A thrown rock bounced off the wall of the building just over her left shoulder, and she thought better of it.

"Yes, let's do that," she muttered, wide-eyed, as she took a shaky step backwards. "Running is now authorized."

Mina hugged her pile of notes and books to her chest and turned to flee. "This way!" she called out, hoping the strange man wouldn't pick this particular moment to argue or ask questions. The mob reacted to her sudden retreat with an angry roar, and surged down the lane in their direction. "Turn left up ahead! It's a shortcut to the market! Maybe we can lose them there!"

'Left up ahead' would turn out to be an even narrower alley between two closely-spaced buildings, littered with refuse shoved up against the walls. The second stories of the houses were wider than the ground floors, and nearly touched each other above the passageway, giving the whole path a dim, seedy vibe. One might wonder, if one had such luxury of time to wonder anything, how often a prim woman prone to wearing white would actually use such an alleged 'shortcut'.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Authorized?" Wallace thought dryly as he ran beside the woman. "Gee, didn't realize I needed to be authorized."

The woman had the right idea to lose the mob in a crowd of people, but Wallace had to question her sense of direction. "Ummmm." he said as the alley they had run down seemed to grow a ceiling. "Are you sure you know where we're going? If this is a dead end, we're screwed."

Drosera

Quote from: Eckhart_Von_Musel on November 13, 2017, 12:54:45 PM
The woman had the right idea to lose the mob in a crowd of people, but Wallace had to question her sense of direction. "Ummmm." he said as the alley they had run down seemed to grow a ceiling. "Are you sure you know where we're going? If this is a dead end, we're screwed."

In spite of having to dodge piles of trash while clutching her books and notes to her chest, Mina was doing a fair job of keeping up with her extemporaneous racing partner.

"Of course I'm sure! I always study the maps very carefully when I'm going to be in a new place!" she snapped, annoyed at having her competence challenged. She navigated a slight bend in the alleyway, then came to a skidding halt.

The path they were on ended in a T-junction, with alleys going left and right, but no further forward. She looked down one, then the other; it was a maze of twisty passages, each one alike.

"Wait, this isn't right! This wall isn't supposed to be here! Just a moment, I should have a map with me I think."

Mina began paging through her stack of notes, completely forgetting, in her incredulity, that an angry mob was somewhere not nearly far enough behind them.

Tags: