Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Musings of an aimless Mage [Silver!]

Started by Wycliff, November 20, 2017, 01:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wycliff

If Aven could wipe sweat from his brow, he would have. Issue was, he wasn't out of trouble yet: that stab wound was severe, and because it was some sort of Light weapon, it wouldn't heal quickly, even if it were pitch dark. He estimated at least a few hours before the leg could even be walked on, not any condition for an escape. It seemed Aven's only option was to tag along in Thera's shadow, waiting for the wound to heal. It was a bother, but at least he'd gotten his mind off...

Out of nowhere, a peculiar feeling washed over Aven, a very familiar one. It was the same feeling he'd come to know through his time in the other world, one that kept him as Hakon at ease much of the time. It was the presence of one of his children. If he felt that presence, it meant that one of them was within a ten mile radius, and by the sense of it, to the east. But how? They should both be back in the other world with Hakon! He began to concentrate on the dark matter particles around him, focusing on their pull. They spoke of a high concentration of dark matter, condensed and solid. It's Jace... Somehow, he followed me here. Aven sighed inwardly. He's my flesh and blood, alright. He probably enlisted help from the God of Knowledge to replicate the banishment process. When I find a way to send him back, he'll be grounded for years.

Unbeknownst to him, Jace had likely saved his father from his fate, the rush of sudden purpose breathing life back into Aven. It wouldn't be an easy task, opening a universal gateway without the aid of a god, but Aven had done crazy things before. Why not add one more item to the list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Celegwen

Thera rode into the Citadel, nodding at a few of her friends and associates. She dismounted, tying the reins to a nearby post. "Sir," she said to one of her superiors.

"Captain," he said. "You have a shift with Ambassador Maddox soon. What are you doing here?"

Thera rested her hand on Necrolight's hilt. "Well, sir, according to you, I have to make a report every time I have a run-in with a mage, correct?" The man sighed with a nod. He hated Thera, and she loved it. "His name is Aven Kilandre-Alveron. He uses some kind of magic that my field doesn't affect, and he can use it to teleport. He called himself a 'Shadow Mage,' or something pompous like that. Honestly, sir, I don't like it. I might be paranoid, but-"

"Paranoid is smart, Captain," he said. "I'll find someone to cover your shift tonight. I'm sure the ambassador won't miss you too much."

"Excuse me, soldier?" Came a voice behind her. "You said 'Shadow Mage,' yes?"

Thera turned around to see Father Perry, an older gentleman dressed in robes. She immediately relaxed herself, as she knew who he was and felt comfortable with him, despite not having truly interacted with the man in the past. She nodded briefly. "What do you know of them, Father?"

He looked at her slightly sheepishly. "Ah, admittedly, not much. I mostly deal with demonic and otherworldly forces..." He shook his head. "I just wanted to offer you a blessing."

She felt her cheeks flush. She'd never, to her knowledge, had a priest bless her before. Still, she supposed it would be better to be cautious. "Thank you," she said, approaching him.

Father Perry nodded. "This will be quick." He reached over and placed his hand on her forehead, and she closed her eyes. "Oh, Ansgar, light of the heavens, bless your loyal child. She has fought evil in your name and come out stronger. Touch her soul, so she may be cleansed of any darkness that may follow her still. I ask this of you with true devotion, oh infinite light."

Thera heard a sudden woosh, then a force released from her chest, pushing outwards in all directions. Her heart raced, and she looked at Father Perry with shock and appreciation in her eyes.

Spoiler
Thank you @Eckhart_Von_Musel for giving me permission to use NPC Father Perry! :)
[close]

Wycliff

A holy magic user... it just wasn't Aven's day. He'd met several in his lifetime, a fallen angel and an enslaved Seraphim. They always tried to kill him, but he honestly couldn't blame them. Aven may have been a kind soul, but dark matter was certainly capable of great evils.

As the Father began his chant, Aven disconnected from her shadow, traveling along the ground to the corner of the room. Damn, there's no time! If he was still in shadow form, the spell could deal significant damage. Luckily, with incants as abysmally long as that prayer, he was able to reconstitute before the man completed, clothed only in a thin white shirt and silk pants. As it completed, the sudden outpouring of holy force threw him against the wall forcefully. "Ah....!"

His leg screamed with pain, and he collapsed onto his knees. It was possibly the worst situation: not only was he behind enemy lines, with a wound that wouldn't heal for at least thirty minutes, but there were two enemies highly capable of killing him, given the chance. He'd have to either negotiate, or... no, he wouldn't kill these people. He wasn't the monster this country saw him as, he wouldn't stoop to murder.

He held up his hands in surrender. "You've got me, Miss Thera; please, there's no need for anyone to die today." He was counting on her intelligence to get him out of this mess: surely, that talent in deduction of hers would tell her that he'd spared her life? The real question was, would she do the same?

Celegwen

Father Perry took a few steps backward, clutching his holy book to his chest. "That worked too well," he said quietly.

Thera moved her hand from the hilt of her sword to grip the handle tightly. Seeing the wound on the mage's thigh, she huffed. I fucking knew I was right, she thought. He collapsed to his knees in front of her, and everyone in the Citadel looked over. Priests, soldiers, mordecai, and civilians alike all gave their attention to the shadow mage in front of the mordecai woman.

She glanced over at her superior who she had first spoken to. He gave her a hard stare. "I don't want to kill you, Aven," she said, turning back to the man. "I've never killed any man who has surrendered to me, but-" she gestured to everyone surrounding them, "-you've really tied my hands here."

The shouts coming from the massive crowd were deafening, and she could barely make anything out. The overall message was clear; kill him. She looked at Father Perry, who gave her no inclination as to which way he was leaning. Then, she looked to her superior, who made it clear what he wanted her to do.

Thera drew Necrolight, holding it in a steady hand. "I'm sorry," she whispered, "but this won't be quick. Just...close your eyes. I feel you'll find death will feel more natural than you'd think."

The mordecai drew her sword back and plunged the blade through his heart.

Wycliff

Aven had imagined what death felt like many times, having been close enough to touch it more than once in his time. It always seemed a cold truth, an inescapable inevitability. But... why do I feel... warm? He looked down to the blade embedded in his chest, the steady pump of his heart ebbing dark particles from the wound. As they floated away, however, something strange began to occur: the dark particles metamorphosed into light, and dissipated into the rays of the setting sun.

Aven's eyes widened, as the same began to happen to his body, light spreading along his torso and down his limbs. It wasn't painful, he found, but... peaceful. It was as though a great burden was being lifted from his shoulders. No, it was more than that: he could feel his dark matter corrupted soul brighten, free of the shackles by which it had been chained.

As the transfiguration ended, the last of the darkness leaving his eyes, all that remained were the steel-grey eyes of a man who'd lived too fast. He'd seen the world, battled evil, lived for both his ideals and for love: but tears welled into those eyes as Aven saw, for the first time in twenty five years, drops of red blood, falling from the blade in his chest. A peaceful smile fell over him, the final wish of his love, Hakon Kilandre, finally come to fruition, even if only for a short while: he was just a normal human.

Blood began to fill his chest, and he looked slowly toward Thera, his voice just a whisper. "Tha... nk... you." With that, the newfound light in his eyes dimmed, twinkling one last time, just like the Emerald eyes of the eagle on his wedding ring. The Father, watching nearby, would feel a small holy presence lift from the corpse... or did he imagine it?

Jace was having a strange day, that was for certain. He'd learned quite a lot about the new world he was in, it's customs and nuances; Apollonia had been very helpful. Still, he'd reached Reahj, and still hadn't found a single trace of his father. He'd wandered for so long through the city. A scene caught his attention, a large chanting crowd. It was chanting to kill something... no, someone? Jace's stomach twisted, it was probably a Mage. Still, curiosity drew him to the spectacle.

Nudging his way to the forefront as they people began to cheer, he came upon the sight of a man in a blood dyed shirt, impaled on a glowing blade. Those spectacles really were gruesome, he didn't know how people stomached that kind of scene and be joyous. Suddenly, his gut twisted in pain as he recognized the man. No... His golden eyes broke into tears. No, it can't be...! "Dad...?" He croaked, his body cold. That was his father, that was Aven! "DAD!!!?"

He tore out of the crowd, sprinting forward toward Aven's lifeless body. "DAD, NO!" He got halfway to them, before he caught glimpse of his father's eyes: grey, not a single spark of life left. He collapsed onto his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks, eyes wide. "Why?"