Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Lost Tome [Xcavus]

Started by Juno, November 26, 2017, 05:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

The legend of the lost tome had drawn Narelle's intrigue of late. Supposedly the lost knowledge of secretive and ancient magic, the book was taken from a mage, Awynn Lark of La'marri, some two thousand years ago but was never to resurface again. The scholar had poured over everything she could find still preserved from the time, both about the mage and the western Le'raana region. There were other supposed volumes the mage had penned but they appeared to be spread among private collections and of little academic importance.

There was little said about who it was that had disappeared two thousand years ago, though. Some writings used her disappearance as a warning, implying some wrong had been done and punishment had been mete out for her crimes. Others spoke of her sacrifice as a blessing, for the land bloomed with radiant prosperity after her assumed passing. There were hints of dark magic being involved, but the consensus seemed to be that she was a known traveler to the Niahi Woods about two thousand years ago and was never seen again.

Narelle was suspicious that several separate accounts around the time would be documented yet none stated the identity of the elf besides the occasional proclamation that she'd been a thief and attempting to deliver sacred knowledge to outsiders. It seemed odd that so much effort would be placed into writing about her great failures without sharing who'd she'd been or what she'd escaped with. Someone important at the time, it seemed, and something that was perhaps quite important to the people of La'marri or the mage it had been stolen from.

The old books she'd found in the libraries were kept in wonderful condition through enchantments. There was an effort being made to keep some record of the story intact even though it was scattered out among other, more factual historical accounts. She couldn't help but wonder if the story was true, if there was a book perhaps lost and forgotten in those woods that hadn't been read for thousands of years. Finding such a thing after so long would surely have its value if she could manage to restore whatever knowledge it might hold to the scholarly community, especially if it had been preserved in a similar way.

She made the trek from her home in Arca to La'marri in hopes that perhaps the locals would be more helpful in her search, probably knowing their own spoken history better than a written account. They had nothing to share with her, though, either because it had been forgotten or they didn't trust her as a stranger to their community. She'd been allowed to thumb through a few of their older books, though, and the only additional information she'd found was that the thief had disappeared north across the river and seemed to have been an elf.

A rough map was her only guide as she'd made her way across shallowest parts of the waters beyond the village, not understanding why there were no bridges for safe passage. Perhaps the majority of the inhabitants had magical means to cross the river, but Narelle had never honed any practice of magic herself even with all of her studies.

With no real destination to go by the Serenian wandered towards the deepest parts of the northern forest for days, searching every hallow and hidey-hole she could find along the way. Every night she bed down among the dense brush, only returning to the sounds of the river when necessary for water and washing. She very quickly grew to regret her choice in clothing for her journey; loose, thin trousers and an oversized tunic breathed comfortably but had caught and torn on everything as she'd picked her way through the lush forest with no real roads to follow for comfort besides the occasional deer trail. Still, she carried on with dogged determination, not the least bit disgruntled or disappointed as her search stretched further and further into the densest parts of the forest.

almighyxcavus

2000 Years ago...

Tome of The Guardians of Le'ranna
Preface:

These beings we're said to be created since the arrival of Le'ranna. Born of stardust, the guardians were immediately assigned to the land they are sworn to protect. I am lucky to be one of the first to observe the guardian of the forest, named Aetroskos. I spent every day gathering research about this beautiful being. Within this tome lies everything I know about Aetroskos, but I have barely scratched the surface. Maybe someday someone will take over my research for me long after I pass. This tome serves as a testament to the knowledge of old Le'ranna, may it never be forgotten nor the beings that protect this great land.

Aetroskos set the Tome back onto the ground. His elven form manifesting rather quickly than normally. "Thank you, I don't understand your ambition or reasoning to write this on me, but I will cherish it." Aetroskos looked down at the elven woman with a grin. The woman looked back up him with the kindest smile he had ever seen. The woman's body soon became lifeless as it laid against the tree. "Cancer takes yet another victim. But your life will not be in vain." Aetroskos placed his hand on the woman's shoulder. Within seconds the woman's corpse became a wellspring of life. Moss, flowers, and a tree sprout grew around the body. "You will be the grandest symbol of life I can offer. May your soul rest in nature, but your body forever stay with the woods." Aetroskos placed the book in a hole just in front of the body, covered in orchids and roses.

Present day...
Aetroskos had finished his daily check of the woods. Stopping by the tree of Awynn, the largest and thickest tree in all of the woods, it served as a symbol to one of the most interesting humanoids he had ever met. The encounter with that woman changed his life. It was the first person to ever take true genuine interest in a guardian. Although he had never dwelt on it before, he realized just how lonely he had been to this point. He shifted into his elven form. He placed his hand onto the base of the tree. 2000 years, it's been quite a long time dear friend. He backed up a few paces before bowing to the tree as per tradition.

The clouds rolled in quite fast. It wasn't too long before the rain started to pour heavily. "What perfect timing." Aetroskos jumped up to a branch and proceeded to remove his clothing. The leaves above him carried just enough water before spilling to allow for a quite relaxing shower. He looked up to the sky. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now.