Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

New Person

Started by Mackers, December 14, 2017, 06:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mackers

Hello, I'm new.  I've got a few years roleplaying experience under my belt, in a roundabout way I heard about this place from Remnants. I'm more of a fantasy person anyway, big medieval nerd.

While I've presumably got your guys' attention, I guess I'll introduce myself with a little rant. I saw in the medieval life info section that the author gave a common urban legend about alcohol in premodern eras, that all water was known to be unsafe so people only drank alcohol or milk. I mean...no, that's just not true. Spring water is usually fine, you can drink from a generally unpolluted river if you've been doing it all your life, and well water is perfectly safe to drink as long as the well shaft isn't directly next to an unlined sewage cistern, which was what started happening in the victorian period in big cramped cities like london, which is what helped lead to the discovery of germ theory in the first place. Alcohol is only as old as agriculture, no earlier than 7,000 BC going by the archaeological record. The human digestion and immune system hasn't undergone any kind of drastic changes in that time. What do they think people drank before then?

Draconian

I don't care about your rant

But welcome to SotE. :D Have fun!

Tags: