Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Least Dangerous Game (SDB!)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, January 04, 2018, 10:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Perfect! They're in view."

Sarah Whitechalk sat in a tree on the outskirts of Zantaric. She was practicing her assassination skills today, and she had been following her "target" for the better part of the day. She didn't know the person she was following- she'd chosen them at random. Sara held her binoculars up to her eyes. "They're alone. Nobody else in sight. Awesome."

Finally, it happened- her target craned their neck to look at something, allowing Sarah a perfect view of their carotid artery. She grinned. "Yes! This is the part where I'd kill them! I win!"

Sarah, of course, didn't actually kill her target- she had no reason too. She liked knowing that she could have killed them though, and that's what mattered. Satisfied, she began to climb out of the tree...

...And with a loud *SNAP*, the branch she'd been sitting on broke off of the tree. Sarah yelped as she plummeted to the ground, landing with a dull thud. In a daze, she looked up to see her target staring at her. Sarah went pale- the binoculars in her hands made it fairly obvious that she'd been watching somebody, and since they were the only other person around...

"Shit! It's, uh, not what it looks like!"

Celegwen

After a long week in the middle of Zantaric's hectic crowds, Calypso Stern decided to take some time off and relax on the outskirts of the village.

For the better part of the day, the girl felt like she was being watched. Her elven hearing even picked up on rustling leaves, but the absence of any other signs made her dismiss the sounds and feeling as wind combined with her paranoid mind.

Just in case, Cal kept her right hand resting on the pommel of her knife.

Under the mid afternoon light, the girl stopped, pulling a bag of nuts and seeds out of her satchel. She crouched down, tossing a few of the seeds onto the ground. With her hand as a visor, Cal craned her neck upward to look at the few birds attracted by the seeds.

*SNAP*

Cal whirled around at the sound of a branch cracking. She whipped her knife out with wide eyes, seeing a blonde girl with binoculars next to her, who quickly tried to cover up what was clearly going on. Cal scoffed, sizing the other girl up. "Really? 'Cause it looks like you were stalking me!" Cal said. She decided that the girl didn't seem too threatening, so she put her knife away and offered the girl a hand to get back on her feet. "Why are you spying on me, huh?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"I wasn't spying!" Sarah said quickly, accepting the girl's hand. Pulling herself back onto her feet, she was able to get a closer look at the girl. "Huh. I kinda thought she was older from where I was sitting. She's what, like, twelve?" 

Sarah crossed her arms, feigning offence. "Spying, really? I was just birdwatching, calm down."

"Ha! That's the perfect alibis. Just try to prove me wrong- oh wait, you can't."

Celegwen

"Birdwatching?" Cal spat, raising her left brow. She folded her arms and cocked her head to the right. "Do you seriously expect me to believe that?"

Little does she know, I actually do birdwatch!

Cal gestured to the four birds that had gathered around the seeds, then to the empty sky. "So, exactly what birds have you been watching? The few common sparrows that I fed, or the magical invisible birds flying around right now?"

Her arrogant smirk and pursed lips gave off an annoying confidence, but Cal knew when she was right.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sarah pointed to a small yellow finch that was perched on a tree branch not far from where they were standing. "That one! Goldfinches are native to Serendipity, so seeing one here in Zantaric is exciting!"

"Huh, I wonder why Carolina is here. Maybe Iggy needs something..."

Sarah gave the girl a concerned look. "Are you okay? You seem kinda on edge."

Celegwen

Cal peered at the yellow bird that was sitting on the branch. She took some birdseed out of her bag and tossed it near the base of the tree, hoping the little bird would help itself.

"I'm fine, considering I was just being stalked," the girl said, narrowing her eyes at the blonde. "And it isn't that strange to see one here, though. There's a weird boy with makeup around here who has a pet goldfinch. I see him all the time!"

That was a lie. She maybe saw the kid once, but remembered him because the goldfinch seemed to willingly stay perched on his shoulder.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Perfect! I can use this to change the subject."

Sarah snickered. "Wait, you know Iggy?" she asked, eyes twinkling. "I didn't think he had any friends outside our little circle."

Carolina looked down at the seeds the girl had thrown. None were thistle, so she didn't bother eating any. She returned to glaring at the girl. "Yo Ignatius, where'd you go?"

"Looking for you." the boy replied. "I'm still over by Ogre St."

"Well, you better getcha ass over to the clearing by the old schoolhouse, some bitch is shittalkin' you."

"What? What is she saying?"

"She's tellin' Sarah that you look funny, which is bullshit. You should show her some knife tricks, that'll show her."

"Okay! I'm on my way!"

"Good. Just for the record, I think you look kickass."

"Aww, thanks! I think you look cool too." 

If birds could blush, Carolina would be doing so. "Yeah well, just hurry before she leaves. I don't want her spreadin' rumours or nothin'."

Celegwen

"Oh, no," Cal said, smirking slightly. "I mean I've seen him around, but we don't exactly know each other."

Our little circle? The girl thought to herself quickly.

She folded her arms and squinted. "Wait, you two know each other? How many people people are in this 'little circle' you mentioned?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Well of course I know him!" Sarah laughed. "He's a good Friend." She scratched her head. "Uhm... We're like, forty people? I dunno, I lose track of us sometimes."

"I can't say I'm with Lady Hildegarde, I'm not in her territory."

Sarah shook her head. "So you birdwatch too? Well it's a nice day for it!"

Celegwen

"No, no, no!" Cal said. "We aren't just moving past that so fast!"

The girl was quick, so she was able to put two and two together. At the mention of forty-something people and 'Friend', Cal couldn't help biting her lip slightly.

"So, you and...Iggy, was it?" She waved her hand, dismissive of her own question. "You and Iggy are Friends? Like, you guys are part of the Friends?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Whaaaaaat?" Sarah said, putting her hands to her face. "Why, whatever are you talking about? I'm no-"

"Heh... You know it, girl."

Sarah's eyes drooped. She peered behind the girl, waving hello to the teenager who had just shown up. "Iggy! It's good to see you!"

The boy spun his butterfly knife menacingly. Well, he thought it was menacing. "Heard you were talking shit like I wouldn't find out." he said, eyes glancing to the goldfinch on his shoulder. "And it's Ignatius."

Sarah smiled. "Of course! Sorry!"

Celegwen

"Ignatius," Cal repeated, turning around. She grinned at the dramatic boy who had appeared seemingly out of nowhere.

Why didn't I hear him coming? She thought to herself. Cal didn't have an elf's height, but her elf-like ears definitely operated like her human half didn't exist. Not hearing Ignatius approaching kind of put her on edge.

The girl shrugged at the boy. "I called you weird," she said plainly. "If you think that's talking shit, I'm surprised you can make it around the folks in Zantaric!"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Alright champ, you gotta play this cool."

"Don't worry, I got this."

Ignatius covered half of his face with his hand, leaning to the side. His butterfly knife twirled in his other, making a soft clinking sound. "Heh..." the teenager said dramatically. "Most people here are afraid to say even that." Ignatius grinned nastily. It made him look more desperate than anything. "Mind telling me who you are... Kid?"

"How was that?"

"Perfect! You nailed that!"

Sarah raised her hands in the air nervously. "Ahaha, lets not get into a fight, okay?"

Celegwen

I'll let him have this, Cal thought, stifling a chuckle. He's clearly worked way too hard on that routine.

Normally, Cal would've called him out for making himself look stupid, but it was just too entertaining to actually be on the receiving end of his little act. The girl put her hands on her tiny waist and shrugged her left shoulder at his comment. "I'm not 'most people'," she said, flashing a grin.

Hiding her self-satisfaction, Cal couldn't help but be impressed with herself. That sounded kinda badass.

"Name's Calypso," she said. "Calypso Stern. Call me Cal."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"She's not backing down! What do I do?"

"Shift gears! Show her just how dangerous you are!"

Ignatius changed his pose, now leaning backwards with his hands behind his head. "Calypso, huh? Heh..." He smiled nastily. "I killed a girl named Calypso once. She was-"

"Iggy, you've never killed anybody." Sarah snapped. "Calm down."

"What the fuck?" Carolina said indignantly. "Who's side are you on, bitch?"

Ignatius twirled around to face Sarah. "My name is not Iggy!"

Sarah rolled her eyes. "Sorry. I forgot."

Celegwen

That Cal didn't try to hide her satisfaction. "I don't care either way!" The girl said, rolling her eyes. "Did you kill me? No? Then, why should I care?"

She knew that the whole act was meant to make him seem tough, but Cal had gotten bored of it. It was funny in the beginning, but too much of that shit just started to get on her nerves. Besides, the other chick seemed to be pretty finished with the act also.

Cal turned to the other woman. "Sorry... I forgot if you told me your name?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"It's Sarah!" the assassin said cheerily. "Sarah Whitechalk! It's a pleasure meeting you Cal."

Ignatius stomped his foot on the ground. "What the hell? She's stealing my thunder!" 

"Do a cool knife trick! That'll show 'er!"

Narrowing his eyes, the teenager began to twirl his butterfly knife, occasionally tossing it into the air and catching it. "There's no way she'll be able to ignore this!"

Ignoring the boy, Sarah continued. "Are you new in town? I haven't seen you around before."

Celegwen

Cal smirked at the boy, now flipping his knife around. If he pokes his eyes out, that'll be amazing, the girl thought, not actually acknowledging his attempt to gain back their attention.

"Sorta," she said with a slight shrug. "I've been here for a little while, about four months, but I can't say I'm shocked that you haven't seen me. I try to keep out of sight. Usually better for surviving here, if you know what I mean."

She thought about her past, not wanting to dive into the conflict that eventually brought her to Zantaric: it wasn't really something you would discuss with strangers, anyway.

"Keep to the shadows mostly," Cal continued. "Pretty easy when you don't have to use the streets to travel! What about you? How long have you been here?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Oh, I totally get it." Sarah said, nodding. "It's pretty foolish to act out in the open unless you're part of a group." She scratch her head. "Even the tough ones lose eventually. Having Friends help to prevent that."

"Ahaha, another one! I'm so good at finding potential recruits!" Glancing behind Cal at the increasingly desperate looking boy, Sarah smiled. "He'll get bored in a few minutes."

Sarah returned her attention to Cal, a wide grin on her face. "As for me, let me see..." The assassin tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Um... Three years now? I'm from Adela, but I couldn't find any work there." Sarah clapped her hands together eagerly. "So! What is it you do here? I, for one, am a master assassin."

Celegwen

Master assassin, Cal thought, putting on a smirk. Yeah, right. Fell out of a damn tree.

"I'm a spy," the girl lied, "and transport. Of course my methods are unique, so they don't come cheap."

She was really just a common thief, stealing only enough to make sure she didn't starve. Then again, there was no way she would kick her pride into the dirt by telling that to a total stranger.

Tags: