Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where mages dare to tread?

Started by Wycliff, February 07, 2018, 08:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wycliff

Jace's chest heaved as she caught up to him. It was terribly obvious he wasn't used to strenuous physical activity. "I'm already terribly suspicious, I have a wanted poster! Plus, I wasn't going to actually test my Circle against the possibility of five or more swords at once." His mouth made a line, a sheepish look dawning over his face. "By my math, it could theoretically withstand a dragon, but it's never actually been tested against strong physical attacks."

Behind them, the footsteps slowly drifted off into the wind. Whoever was behind them, they were not in any particular hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DragonSong

Yep.

He was an idiot.

Jasper looked behind with an annoyed hiss, then grabbed at the young man's arm. "Alright- this house you're trying to get to, would they hide you?"

As much as her instincts were telling her to, she couldn't just leave the poor kid. If she could at least get him someone he'd be safe, she could go on her merry way without the memory of him haunting her for the rest of her life.

Wycliff

The moment Jasper touched his arm, her magic would begin to drain out of her. Jace quickly jerked away, the motion almost causing him to trip. Luckily, he reacted fast enough that she wouldn't have lost much. "They hid my father for years, but I'm not going there to hide! I'm going there to make sure _they're_ okay." He had a strong feeling the girl had some misconception about him, but the current situation wasn't one to discuss it.

•-•-•-•-•-•

As they left their alleged pursuers in the dust, the small party of adventurers a few minutes behind them stopped for a rest. A tall redheaded woman leaned exhaustively against a familiar oak. "Why are we in this terrible place anyway? Weren't you listening to Valera's warnings, they kill mages like stray animals here!"
The lead of the party, a tall man with short, white hair waved the comment away. "We won't be here long enough for that to matter. Our mission is simple, just stay on alert."

DragonSong

"Either way!" Jasper snapped a glare in his direction as she continued urging him along. She'd felt the strange tugging from his touch, so she didn't try physically pulling him again- she'd think about the details of that later. "Look, as long as we're off the road, I don't care. Let's just move."

Wycliff

Jace picked up his pace as much as possible, getting them far down the road. In the distance, as she'd surmised, a large village, with an estate at the far edge appeared on the horizon. Jace stopped, his breath completely gone at that point. "Ha... ha... can we... take a breather..." Jace couldn't remember the last time he was so out of breath. Well, scratch that, the dodge training he went through with Aven was at least as intensive, if not a bit more periodic. "We... could have... just hid..."

DragonSong

Jasper bit back a groan and herded him off the road as he just about collapsed. "Gods, pretty boy, pull it together," she grumbled- a little out of breath herself but not exactly willing to show it.

She glanced back down the road, then up toward the estate, where he seemed to be trying to get to. Her brow furrowed.

She'd planned to just leave him somewhere he'd be safe and take off, but if those people back down the road had even a chance of knowing her, either from wanted posters or some kind of informant...

Maybe she'd be better off laying low for a while too.

Wycliff

Jace slumped against a bush, not even bothering to find a solid surface to rest on. Running was hard, and they'd done a hell of a lot of it. "You know... I don't think... we ever introduced ourselves." He raised a hand in exhausted greeting. "I'm Jace Kilandre-Alveron, a magic eater.... whew... Can I ask your name, Miss?" It was strange to not know her name for so long after meeting her, the thought just never crossed his mind. A breach of etiquette, to be sure, though she didn't seem the type to sweat the small stuff.

DragonSong

She eyed his hand warily and took a step back, but gave him a sharp nod of acknowledgement. "Jasper," she responded curtly, eyes still watching the trail behind them warily. "And you'd probably do well not to announce abilities like that out in the open where anyone could hear."

Wycliff

Jace waved the chide away, his breath slowly recovering. "Nice to meet you, Jasper. As for keeping secrets, that hardly matters at this point. I'm already a wanted mage, revealing my name is enough to convict me for anyone who would actually attack me. Besides," He leaned off the shrubbery, moving to a crouching position, "It was obvious from your actions that you're a mage as well. It's very pertinent information for a fellow mage to know that if they touch me, they'll be quickly drained of their magic power." He'd started to learn to control the ability, but he still couldn't turn it off, persay.

DragonSong

Jasper gave an even warier look, if that was possible. "And so you just decide to...what? Traipse around Connlaoth? Do you have a death wish, or are you just stupid?"

Her brow furrowed as she tried to follow a trail of logic that didn't add up. "Hang on- if you "eat" magic, how can you use it?" She unconsciously lowered her voice as she asked the question, as though afraid they'd be overheard.

Wycliff

Jace smiled, and made a circle in the air with his finger, and a black light trailed behind it. "You're exactly right, if I tried to use magic, I would just absorb it. What I use is a physical form of power, not exactly 'magic' as it's defined. It's what let's me galavant around Connloath without caring too much, as even an Adhara can't prevent that physicality."

DragonSong

"Oooookay." She took a step back, frowning. "That's...profoundly creepy. But useful, I guess." With a shrug, she threw another glanced behind them and then curled her fingers at him in a "get moving" gesture.

"Come on, you seem to have your breath back. We should keep moving."

Wycliff

Jace glanced over at the Estate, through the trees. "Unsettling, maybe. It's not a power I would have chosen, but you don't get to choose these kinds of things." He shook his head at her gesture. "I'd rather just teleport, I have a decent excess of magic from Serendipity." He offered his hand out, and what looked to be a light film of magic surrounded it. "I might drain a small bit of magic from you, but probably no more than a mundane spell's worth. This barrier mitigates the effect of my body somewhat."

DragonSong

Jasper eyed him warily. Her hand moved to the knife at the small of her back as the other reached out to take his.

"If I get even a hint of malice from you, I'll slit your throat so fast you won't realize you're dead," she warned him with a scowl as her fingers touched his.

Wycliff

Jace chuckled at the idea, taking her hand. Only a trickle of magic seemed to drain from her as she touched him. "if I wanted to kill you, Jasper, the last thing I'd do is let you near me."

With that, an odd wavering in the air around them spoke of powers at work, and the next moment, the scenery around them changed, bringing them in front of a large Manor. On the front hung a banner with a tongue of flame surrounded by laurels embroidered on it, the symbol of the Alveron Family. Jace whistled, letting go of Jasper's hand. "Dad grew up here? Talk about privilege, you could house a whole platoon in there!"

DragonSong

Her stomach lurched and she staggered slightly from the vertigo as she snatched her hand back to her chest. Gods, she hated teleportation.

Wait a second.

"Dad?" She blinked at him, then her eyes went wide. She looked from the manor rising before them to Jace and back. "You're related to these people?!"

Wycliff

Jace paused, turning and raising an eyebrow. "Of course I'm related to them, why else would I be coming here? They're my Grandparents, though I admit we've never actually met." He pulled out a patch of cloth, emblazoned with the same emblem as the banner. "Well, shall we?" He strides forward and knocks on the door.

Only a moment passed before a neatly dressed maid opened the door. She was young, maybe twenty five or so, held the door half open. She have the two of them a once over. "Sir, this is the Manor of Lord and Lady Alveron. Do you have an appointment?" A quick flash of the emblem, and the maid's eyes went wide. "Y-y-young master?! Please, please, come in!"

DragonSong

Young master?

Young master?!

Oi. Maybe she'd be better off hoofing it.

But...those guards might still be on the road. Gods damnit. Hoping no one would question her presence- as unlikely as that was- Jasper shuffled awkwardly behind Jace, trying to almost hide behind his frame.

Wycliff

Jace stepped into the manor, taking a good look around at the interior. It was incredibly lavish, the kind of finery you'd expect in a noble household. However, the number of servants seemed lacking. In fact, it seemed abandoned by noble standard, the young maid being the only person in sight besides them.

The maid shuffled around nervously, a slight panic in her eyes. What was she to do? They'd received a letter from Master Aven decades ago about his progeny, but hadn't heard since: twins, Elenoir and Jace. The young man was obviously Jace, bearing a striking resemblance to the Late Master Aven. That meant...! She quickly spun and bowed to the two of them. "Welcome home at last, Master Jace, Lady Elenoir! I am Pella, Lady Alveron's personal attendant. Please, make yourselves at home, and if there is anything you need, do not hesitate to call!"

Jace's eyebrows raised. That was right, they'd never actually met Elenoir, so Pella was assuming Jasper was his twin. He wouldn't correct her, as it worked in their favor for the moment. It'd be much easier to explain to his grandparents than Pella, she seemed stressed enough already.

DragonSong

Jasper's eyes widened and she whipped her head around to glare at Jace. "Lady Who?" she growled under her breath.

She wasn't stupid enough to outright tell the maid she was wrong- if they thought she was some lady or another maybe they'd be more willing to let her hide out for a couple of days. But that didn't mean she had to like it.

Tags: