Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Power of Rumors [Whim]

Started by emeraldknight, February 17, 2018, 09:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emeraldknight

Hylop was a small village, but it seemed nice enough. Bartley wandered the streets in search of the lost fae city known as Myr Danann. It had only been a day ago when one of the salesman's best customers had strode into the shop, asking for something small that could hold many objects.

"50 gold coins? It simply cannot be that much!"
"You know how this works, and judging by how long it's been since I've seen you, I would say you could get a pretty impressive discount!" Bartley smirked, knowing he had him.

The customer proceeded to tell of his recent trip to a town in the province of Ravenswood known as Hylop, in order to meet with some farmer friends, and have a countryside holiday. "Alright, enough with the details, I know you're just winding me up! What did the locals tell ya?" Apparently, an old folktale told of an old fae city nestled somewhere near the town, out of sight. Of course, in this day and age, no-one believed it could possibly exist, as no-one had ever seen it, and a city like that would have been found a long time ago. Yet others claimed it was shrouded in magic, unable to be seen by greed-filled humans. Whatever the case, Bartley was interested. Having sold the bag of holding for just 20 gold pieces, he called out to the leaving customer: "You do know you just payed full price for that bag, right?"
The man just smiled and shook his head.

After asking around for a while, to no avail, Bartley came across a farmer who looked to be in his early forties. He said he knew of the legend, and that he speculated it may have come from the forest to the south, as there had been chips of stone there that looked like some part of a column. Bartley thanked the helpful man, and began to leave.

Whim

What's even the point of having goats if they can't pull things? Colby grumbled as he tugged along a cart of turnips. It was a long way from his Arrynstead, his family's farm, to the Dancing Owl. The owner was kind enough to give the dirt-streaked boy a cup of milk and a (very small) slice of apple tart, which he ate somberly in the corner. His ears perked up, however, when a gnarled old man started badgering Mister Honeycutt from down the road. Myr Danann? Was he going there?! And stupid Mister Honeycutt wasn't even close! Their exchange was quick. Honeycutt eager to get back to his beer and count the money.

Wolfing down the renmnants of his tart the boy dashed outside to catch the gnarled peddlar. "Miffiff! Honeyfuff wuff ffong!" Colby paused and finished chewing. "Hey! Mister Honeycutt was all wrong, you know. He's pretty dim and all he cares about is sheep. Got real angry once when I tried to play with his dog.

"Myr Danann is south but you gotta go across the river. The left side on the rope bridge is busted. I went once with my da but he said he'd thrash me if I ever went in alone. It's real pretty. Why are you going anyway?" the boy bounced on his heels, cheerfully bombarding the newcomer with questions and commentary.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

emeraldknight

"Woah, hey, slow down, kid!" The boy had come out of nowhere, talking of Myr Danann like it was just another part of the town. Bartley couldn't believe his ears, a boy as young as this telling him exactly where the city lay. It must have been a practical joke, or maybe he just didn't know any better. But on the off chance...

"Right. Well, thank you for that. I'd best be off, unless there's anything else you'd like to say on the matter?"

Whim

Slow down. Why was everyone always saying that? Colby knit his face into an indignant pout, expecting to be shooed off. Except that he wasn't. "Anything else? Um..." The boy shot a furtive glance to the ricketty handcart beside the stable. The sun had barely risen. "I could show you if you wanted! My three stupid sisters can do my chores. They don't do anything on our farm.

"Why do you wanna see Myr Danann anyway?" That was a dumb question. Who wouldn't!? But pointy ears and green eyes, he wasn't just any old man was he? "Are you like an explorer? Or a wizard? Or a faerie?" Colby trotted around Bartley in a circle, as if trying to see if he had a magic staff or a sword or hidden away.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

emeraldknight

"Holy shit, this kid is annoying!"

The child manically bounded around him, like he was searching for something. Again, a flurry of questions were fired off at Bartley in quick succession, and he had no time to react. "Look here, I am not a faerie, or a wizard. What I am is none of your business! I'm going there in search of oddities to..."

At this point, Bartley realized that the more questions he answered, the more that would come. Deciding to leave things as simple as possible, he simply stated, "I enjoy exploring old things. Now, if you would be so kind as to show me where you believe Myr Danann to be, I should be quite grateful"

Whim

"Oh." Colby's shoulders sagged as Barkley's exasperation became apparent. Stupid old crank. He'll probably get too tired and need a nap and then a bearbeak will come and then he'd be sorry. "I was just curious was all. I can can show you.

"What's your name anyway, um, sir? I'm Colby by the way." He extended a hand, dirt caked beneath ragged fingernails.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

emeraldknight

Bartley saw the child's expression change, immediately realizing he had hurt his feelings. Eager to make things better, he shook his hand. "Nice to meet you, Colby. My name's Bartley, Bartley Nock."

Before beginning the journey, the merchant took a quick look through his bag, making sure he had everything he needed. Thankfully, it was all there, the magic-detecting spyglass, indentification scrolls, map, a canteen of infinite water, a few apples, and a fire-flinging ring for self-defense.

Deciding it would be good to keep the kid happy, at least until he found the city, he pulled an apple from his bag and tossed it. "Hey, Colby, catch!"

Whim

Colby squirmed and fidgeted and nearly had to bite his tongue as Bartley rummaged. A spyglass like a pirate! Except on the land. But that's kind of what an explorer is anyway? And did that ring just shoot smoke?! It took incredible effort but the boy managed to keep his mouth shut while gawking. "Oh gosh! Thanks Bartley! What did you - oh..." His face twisted into disappointment when the gift turned out to be an apple.

Still, he munched it happily as they set off. The road was unpaved and twisted its way through a sea of wheat and barley. Far in the distance loomed the old, towering firs of Ravenswood "So what are you looking for in Myr Danann? Is it Calen's Cup?! A lot of people don't know about it but its a great story! He was a boy from Hylop who found a cauldron in Myr Danann and became a mage when he drank. The faeries even came back, and let him be their king! We got a statue of him and everything."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

emeraldknight

"Calen's Cup, eh? Well, that certainly sounds interesting!"

As they walked towards the forest, Bartley couldn't help but feel excited about the journey. "I can't get ahead of myself. This kid could just be crazy" But the prospect of all the treasures that could be hidden within those trees was just too much, and he gave way to the jovial air, a stronger spring in every step.

"So how has the city been hidden, anyway? You said you'd been there, so how is it that it has been reduced to mere folklore?"

Whim

Colby gave Bartley a blank stare. Why hadn't anyone thought to look around such a fantastic and forgotten place? Was it because most grown-ups were scared of such things? It wasn't like everyone was going to become a wizard-adventurer. "I don't know. Its just really far into the woods I guess? The trees are all big and old, and Master Briarfoot did say the gods would get angry if they ever got cut down. The only faeries there now are dumb little pixies who steal your stuff

"I mean they're kind of fun. Ma and da don't like when I cross the stream to look at them. Keep saying I'll get myself turned into a toad," the boy rolled his eyes. "Maybe they scare people away? In Finn Firebloom book three the snow pixie queen Aurana did shrink him down and then he had to kill a giant beetle in a fighting pit! Well I guess it was a regular beetle, but he had to ride a dragonfly and-" he gave the old peddler a sheepish look and shut-up. Most people in Hylop didn't read. Or at least not the books Colby liked.

Darkness fell on the pair as farmland gave way the Ravenswood. The cobbled road was well-kept but could surely be overwhelmed by moss and brush in a season. Colby stopped them at a crude statue of a smiling bear, and pointed up into the hills. A dirt trail zigzagged its way through the brush. It was barely visible but for little stone markers, carved to be squirrels and rabbits and badgers. "So if you're not a wizard how did you get all that stuff? Because- because your ring smoked? Didn't it?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

emeraldknight

"Oh gods, he's rambling again!" Colby went on and on, talking of some work of fiction he'd read. After a while, he shut up, much to the relief of Bartley, who was quickly becoming tired of the child's pointless chatter. Afternoon became late afternoon as the light faded, and he began to enjoy the peace that came with darkness, away from the village. He let himself space out, feeling the cool breeze float by, smiling at the little moments when it picked up. "If I could bottle any moment in time..."

Bartley became aware of something in front of him. Looking up, he saw a rather unfortunate-looking piece of art that seemed to depict a bear. Looking to his right, he saw Colby pointing off into the distance. A hill had come into their path, statues of woodland creatures not unlike the bear marking the way up. The young one turned to him, and asked about his supplies, specifically the fire-ring. Feeling jovial enough, Bartley decided to answer him. "I am a curiosity dealer, meaning that I collect many rare artifacts and oddities, mainly of the magical variety, to sell in my shop. However, some of these, I keep, such as the fire-ring, which I use for self-defense". Guessing at what was coming next, he added, "Not that I've ever had to use it!"

Whim

Colby and his companion forged their path up the hill. Squirrel, otter, wolf, and beaver watched their progress closely. The boy grumbled some after catching his foot in a pricker-bush. "Dukb-stupid-yow!

"So do you, um, need to have magic to use curiosities?" Colby tried to conceal the glimmer of hope from his tone. It seemed almost as good as being a wizard, after all. The boy was also angling to try the fire ring himself, but knew better than to seem over-eager. "So how's it work? Like, um, say if that was a real wolf?" A devilish little smile crossed his face and he pointed to the crude idol.

A narrow gorge, bisecting the forest, came into view as Colby and Bartley crested the hill. A stream, swift and deep, coursed through it. The only path to the other side was a rickety old rope bridge; several slats missing and rotted.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

emeraldknight

"Well, that depends on the item in question, though most of my wares require no magical ability at all. In fact, many were designed to give non-magical folk a way to use it. If the magic is in the ring, boot, or whatever else, and there is a mechanism to cast it, then the user simply has to activate it." Bartley was actually happy to make conversation for once, at least now that it was about his specialty. This, however, was quickly replaced with skepticism when Colby asked about the fire ring. In his experience, it was often kids like him that got into trouble with these things, and so he was quite reluctant to sell potentially dangerous apparatus to children.

"Maybe the best way to go about this would be to scare him? If he sees a rather large display, maybe he'll refrain from getting into trouble with it while my back is turned." He sifted through his bag and picked out the ring, holding it as if it were dangerous to even touch. He slowly slipped the ring on and held his hand out towards the wolf statue. "You see, Colby, if you press this button..." He gingerly tapped on the button on the side of the ring with his thumb, and a small jet of fire came out. However, he then held the button down, and flailed around, stumbling backwards as if the force from the recoil of the flames was too strong to withstand. He then dramatically stumbled backwards into a bush. This was supposed to be the end of the display, but he forgot to take his thumb off the trigger, and the dry leaves immediately caught fire, singing the back of his robe. He leaped up and yelped in pain, shaking the ring free of his finger and clutching at his canteen, pouring a small pond's worth of water onto his back and the bush. Panting, he looked the kid in the eye. "That's why I don't like to use it often".

"If the kid wasn't scared by the recoil, he surely will be now!"

Whim

"Do you think I could..." he trailed off in a small voice, trying to hide his excitement as the peddler prepared his demonstration. No one ever liked it when he got excited. But maybe Bartley would let him try? The grubby old man seemed to enjoy discussing his various knickknacks. And they couldn't be that expensive. He was pretty shabby.

And then the fire came. Colby shrieked in surprise and danced back, bouncing from heel to heel as his mind weighed whether or not to take cover or be a hero and help Bartley. And then the fire was out. "I- I'm sorry. I didn't mean-" the boy stammered, his pale and freckled face whiter if that were possible. "I won't touch touch anything." He looked down with a disappointed sigh. Bartley's put point hit home loud and clear.

"You're okay, right? My ma has this stuff made from bark for when the animals fight...."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

emeraldknight

"Do I look like an animal to you?" Bartley was too busy weighing up the chances of finding a decent robe at Myr Danann to think about Colby's feelings.

The salesman looked over to the other side of the gorge, wondering how in the world they could get over. It seemed that this was why no-one ever ventured here. But Bartley wasn't no-one. "Hey Colby, any ideas on how to get over there?"

Whim

"Well ma says dogs and people ain't so different..." Colby's lip quivered at Bartley's remarks, thoroughly chasened. Stupid old crank. He was gonna get his own curiosities and shoot fire and be a great adventurer!!

With newfound determination Colby trotted to the bridge, arms spread to grab the rungs. The boy expertly vaulted himself over a pair of missing slats with a grin. The rocks and rushing water below were of little concern. For he complained about the drudgery of farm chores, Colby had the muscle jump and climb like a squirrel. His toes knew all the planks by heart: the ones that were wobbly but held, and the sturdy ones that started to splinter when you put weight on them.

"It's easy! I'll tell you where to step." He twisted to face the peddler, beckoning him forward with exxitement. This would be his time to shine!

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

emeraldknight

"Oh, crap", thought Bartley, as he watched Colby jump onto the bridge. The boy seemed to know it well enough, but how the hell was he supposed to do it? Tentatively, he stepped towards the bridge, and tested the strength of each slat with his foot, careful not to put too much weight forwards. The gap Colby had easily passed seemed rather dangerous, and Bartley closed his eyes as he hopped across, hoping to hell and back the landing spot wouldn't break away under his weight.

Gaining a bit of confidence in doing so, he stepped onto the next plank, and the next thing he knew, he was falling. He managed to keep his upper body on a nearby slat, but the whole bridge shook with the impact. He laid there, too shocked to consider getting up at this point. Whispering as if the very sound of his voice could kill him, he managed to get out a barely audible "Colby, are you okay?"

Whim

Colby cheerfully hummed a bawdy tavern song, passed down from a friend, as he danced over the slats. It was his first real adventurer after all! And he was pleased to be so far ahead of the peddler. "And they argued all night! Over who had the right- wah!!!" And then the old bridge shuddered! The farm-boy was near vaulted over the side. Between his grip and the net, instead

"Yeah! I'm fine!" he staggered to his feet with a groan. Green eyes widened into saucers at the sight of Bartley dangling through the bridge. It had happened to Colby several times. That a small boy who climbed trees might more more agile than a man with a large pack had not fased him. "Mister Nock! Ya gotta be-" the weight of Colby's scampering caused the bridge to sway dangerously. The boy stopped with a gasp.

"Can ya pull yerself up?" his voice fell to a whisper mimicking Bartley's. "Maybe I can help!" Carefully padding across the bridge he extended a scrawny, freckled arm. Could that support the old man's weight?

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

emeraldknight

It was not a matter of being strong enough to pull himself up, but rather one of courage. Bartley slowly reached for Colby's outstretched hand, but as he was about to grab hold, he paused. "What if he isn't strong enough to pull me up? He'll go over with me!" He dropped his arm down to the bridge and instead attempted to find a strong plank that he could use to pull himself up. The search proved futile.

Just as he was about to start calling for help, the merchant had an idea. A crazy idea, but an idea nonetheless. "An idea I'm already starting to regret". His bag was still hanging from his belt. "Colby, I'm going to need you to..." he gulped, "Reach down into my bag, and take out the fire ring!"

Whim

Colby stared open-mouthed, puzzling over just how he was going to get Bartley out. He imagined himself heroically pulling hoisting the peddler out. Of course he was far too small. The farm-boy dropped his hands and knees, crawling to the very edge. His knuckles were white from holding on so tight and the familiar bridge suddenly seemed very scary. "Are, are you sure?" his voice quivered with excitement and fear. "What are ya gonna do with it? Because the bridge is wood you know..."

He leaned forward, hooking a foot around the frayed net. A grubby hand reached out toward Bartley's pack to find the ring...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Tags: