Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Myriads Though Bright (DragonSong)

Started by quaggan, June 13, 2018, 06:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

Coriander accepted her invitation with a bit of unexpressed relief - his legs were getting tired. He could never be called athletic - the only physical pursuits he excelled at were dancing and bedroom affairs. He sat by her and listened attentively to her words. He had a feeling they were getting to a heart of the matter - a pleasant progress, even though he enjoyed dancing around the issue. So she was a free spirit, searching for someone who would not attempt to restrain her. Well, in this aspect, he believed she chose wisely - he would never deny a potential wife freedom to choose her own pleasures - and he probably wouldn't be able to anyway.

Of course, it would be foolish not to question why would she seek a husband rather than live a free life without the constraints of marriage. Fortunately, it would be easy to come up with an answer. While the Coriander family has long since given up on their first child, it didn't look like Ambassador Moonglade held similar attitude towards his daughter. He probably expected Kana to marry, which put her in this situation to begin with, forcing her to embark on a search for someone who would not get in her way. He had to admit, such a direct approach was really attractive.

"If that is the case, then I have to admit that my contacts have indeed chosen well" he conceded. "Although I wonder if your father and mother would be just as pleased with this arrangement. Barring extraordinary circumstances, I will not be inheriting the leadership of my family, which doesn't make me a politically valuable match. Or do we have more in common than I previously thought? Are your parents more concerned with finding you a husband than finding you an useful husband?"

DragonSong

"Ah." Kana smiled brightly and leaned toward him conspiratorially. "But the definition of useful can depend very much on the person involved." She winked at him. "It is very likely I will take over my father's position once he retires. That considered, it would be most beneficial for me to marry a second son-- someone unlikely to be dealing with running an estate, and would be free to travel with me, should we desire."

She tilted her head to the side slightly. "Not to mention there is the Thanati aspect of such a partnership to be considered. I need someone flexible, Master Coriander. Someone able and willing to adjust between two vastly different cultures." Her eyes locked on his, almost challenging. "Was I incorrect in thinking you might be such a person?"

quaggan

The more he heard, the more appealing this offer was. Such a marriage would be the best marriage he could think of - not only he wouldn't have to worry about the wife, but also would be free to live his life the way he wanted. And he wouldn't be marrying some boring bureaucrat or simpering simpleton, but someone he actually had fond feelings and respect for, in what short time he had to interact with her.

And the prospect of traveling to Thanatos was very appealing as well. It would be a new environment for him to explore, full of people to play with - and if he messed up and had to lay low for a while, going to a new country could help. He would be a fool not to take this offer.

"You have convinced me" he admitted. There was no use lying - she was probably capable enough to read the truth from his body language anyway. "But I fear I am just the first person concerned. My parents would have to be informed - unless you'd rather shock the society by marrying without their consent." That would be interesting, although the impact of the scandal would be lessened by the lack of protest on the part of the Baron and his wife. They would probably be pleasantly surprised to hear that not only they got rid of their elder son, but also acquired valuable ties to Thanatos.

DragonSong

"Oh, of course!" Kana beamed delightedly and clapped her hands. "I was thinking something of a whirlwind romance-- we should court for a few weeks before we announce the engagement, but I don't think we'll need to take too long."

Her smile turned playfully wicked and she reached out to grasp his hand gently. "I just wanted to be straightforward with my intentions. This doesn't have to happen immediately."

quaggan

Coriander grinned back. This was about to turn out quite interesting. In a few weeks' time, he might end up married - or the laughingstock of the entire Arca, if it was an elaborate scam. He was willing to take that risk - he's done more stupid thoughts in his lifetime. "I suppose I should use all of my charm! Good thing I have some disposable money to spend on gifts and flowers. Do you have any preference? Perhaps flowers endemic to Serendipity that you can't see in Thanatos? Or should I put in some effort and find out myself?"

DragonSong

Kana's smile brightened and she chuckled lightly. "I'm partial to lilies-- all kinds, but particularly calla lilies."

She withdrew her hand and got to her feet, smoothing out the silk of her robes. "But gifts aren't entirely necessary, I assure you. Perhaps we should simply start with a brief stepping out?" She tilted her head. "Arca has many lovely parks. Would you care to take a walk?"

quaggan

Ah yes, calla lilies. His fondest memory connected to the flowers was receiving a bouquet from a clever shapeshifter whom at the time he believed to be Baroness Yvelines. They were enchanted, as it turned out, and made him fall asleep - something the shapeshifter quickly used to rifle through his pockets. What an entertaining experience, and it looked like he might soon produce another to rival it.

He responded to the invitation with a smile. "I would be privileged to accompany you on a walk, although we'd need an attendant to carry an umbrella - while a pile of smouldering, formerly vampire embers should be able to carry on the role of not interfering the dalliances, the same wouldn't apply to other spousal functions."

DragonSong

She chuckled again and stepped toward him. "Oh, do we really need the attendant?" She mock pouted a bit and placed one hand gently on his arm, leaning into him. "I was so hoping to sneak off for a snog somewhere nice and secluded."

The ambassador's daughter sighed dramatically and pouted. "Well, I suppose there's time enough for that later. Don't suppose it's worth the risk of sunlight incineration."

quaggan

Coriander chuckled in assent. "I suppose there's one way to start a whirlwind romance - scandalize the public by taking a walk without a chaperone! I find myself partial to your idea." He could just make an excuse, something about an elixir that made him temporary immune to sunlight. Or just drop the whole facade - this whole plan he was getting into sounded more interesting anyway.

He offered her his arm. As attracted as he was to tall women, he had to admit that sometimes it was refreshing to go on a walk with someone he didn't have to pay extra attention to in order to correct his gestures. "If my dark magic fails me and I end up incinerated, feel free to take some of my ashes to later use in dastardly plans, such as slipping some into the wine of someone you do not like."

DragonSong

"I shudder to think." She shivered dramatically to back up her claim, tilting her head impishly. "What would vampire ashes even do to a person, do you suppose?"

She took his arm as she asked, settling her hand comfortably in the crook of his elbow.

quaggan

"That's a good question - and one I suppose you might soon find an answer to" he amiably commented. "Should you find the result interesting, please give my best regards to whatever scholar you deem worthy of knowing. I will enjoy my afterlife with the satisfaction of knowing that I advanced the grand cause of research."

Chatting cordially with Kana Moonglade, Coriander headed through the hallways of the manor to the exit. "Do you have any preference about which park to visit?" he asked. He would be a fool to think that just because she spent half her life in Thanatos, she knew less about him - it was best to play to her choices.

DragonSong

"To be honest, I am quite partial to the evening gardens off Arcadia Street. Do you know them?" Kana looked up at him again, a part of her still calculating, getting the real measure of him. "They're entirely encased in glass and enchanted so that it is always cycling from dusk to dawn within. The night-blooming plants are lovely."

quaggan

He's been to the Arcadia Gardens twice before - once, he was sneaking inside in order to intercept a letter, the other time he went to court a knight who scheduled a duel there. She won, of course, and he tried inviting her out for a walk in the gardens. While she rejected him, he had all the beauty of the nature there to comfort him.

"It's a beautiful place" he admitted. Perhaps he should visit it more frequently, but there was a lot of interesting locales in Arca, and he shouldn't discriminate.

DragonSong

"Shall we then?" She smiled, linking her arm through his. "It's not a far walk, we could even go on foot if you like."

quaggan

He would not like to go on foot. One of the advantages of being a noble and wealthy was having access to a carriage that protected him from the outside and the mob. But Kana probably wouldn't have suggested it if she wasn't at least a little partial to the idea, so he was willing to go.

"Well then, it looked like my attempt to delay until the sun has set; failed" he sighed dramatically, reaching with his free arm to his forehead. "So I am forced to resort to this spell in order to survive!"

As they almost reached the gates, he muttered some stupid-sounding words that hopefully could pass for a spell, before motioning for the servants to open it. He decided against hissing on the sun - he knew the line between being entertaining and being obnoxious was very fine, and could easily be blurred.

DragonSong

Kana chuckled politely as they stepped out into the sun, tightening her grip on Corriander's arm slightly.

"Here." The parasol she'd left by the door was still in its place, and she quickly scooped it up, opening it so the scarlet and plum silks blocked the sunlight from falling directly in their faces. Thanati characters marched around the edge of the fabric, though the style was more Serenian than anything else-- another nod to her mixed heritage.

She smiled. "Not a spell perhaps, but the best I can do under the circumstances."

quaggan

As the parasol blossomed upwards above their heads, Coriander's gaze was drawn to it. He couldn't read Thanati characters - something he should probably start working to remedy - but he knew enough to recognize them. The amalgamation with clearly Serenian design was quite fascinating. Perhaps he should start following the trends she's set. He could make it a part of their plan, claim that he was drawn to Kana Moonglade because of her unique style...

But he could expound on this later, right now his priority should not be the parasol, but the lovely lady holding it. "Thank you" he smiled. "I'm glad to see that I am more of use to you in flesh than in ash."

He indicated the turn they would have to take. Kana Moonglade probably knew Arca just as well as he did, but he wanted to make sure that they weren't taking any weird shortcuts.

DragonSong

Kana knew the turn well enough, but she allowed Coriander to guide their walk. Eyes glinting with a wicked kind of playfulness, she noted blithely, "Oh yes. I'm sure you're much more useful in the flesh, Master Coriander."

quaggan

Coriander felt the corners of his lips curve in a grin. He wasn't above this kind of exchanges, but was wary of initiating them - a lot of people in the polite society either found them vulgar, or were willing to fake disgust for their own reasons. Then again, this kind of prudes would probably balk at Kana Moonglade's plan in the first place. It should be safe to respond.

"As pleased as I am to hear that, I must warn you, a word alone is not worthy of your belief. I would suggest testing the worth of this flesh for yourself - but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself..."

DragonSong

"Mmm..." Kana smirked up at him, lowering the parasol slightly to better hide them from the eyes of passers by, though few enough gah seemed to be out on the streets.

Leaning into him, she purred, "What would such a...test entail, hm? There are plenty of quiet, hidden places in the gardens I'm sure we could make good use of. Should that idea strike your fancy, of course."