Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Failing Façade

Started by Draconian, June 23, 2018, 12:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

[ @nephero ]

Pallaton hadn't said anything after Valys told him that maybe he'd be impressed. There was a quick glance to the sunshine coloured elf, a slight pull of his lips but nothing beyond that.

Instead he just gave a clipped polite smile and started to walk, hands held behind his back again. Cape trailing behind him with his head held high. Pallaton led the pair through the castle, casting a glance behind him at the rushed steps of Rho catching up to them. Decked out and ready to go. Good. He paused briefly for the other elf to catch up before continuing again, steps brisk and long because he would not be out paced by Valys. There was a sneaking suspicion the elf would try it even though he had no idea where they were going.

As it was, the walk there was a decent one. Cheeks flushed when they finally got there. The thin mask he'd been wearing since learning of his son's disappearance was cracking. Showing up as his eyes looking a little more intense. His stare hard. His lips a thin line in an effort to keep himself a solid strict being.  If he frowned too much he knew he'd break just a bit more and Pallaton wasn't sure how much more he had in him before he gave into the anxiety churning in his chest. He could feel his pulse in his throat and it was a constant reminder that he was breathing just the bit faster than normal.

Still, he willed himself calm. Pallaton took a deep breath while guiding them to the large building. It looked like stables. Nests were in a few far too large for horses, one or two had eggs momentarily left alone. A few Adelans were shuffling around the little dens and one even smoothed their hand over an egg, giving a pleased noise before continuing. Pallaton tossed back his head and gave a cry. Not a wail but a yell, a yell that turned into a song of sorts. A quick song that was repeated a few times before he finally grew quiet and a shadow grew before the sound of beating wings filled the air and grey clawed feet gently touched the ground.

It was comforting to be so close to Arcturus again. Neither of them had seen one another often since he'd been made Regent - he didn't need to practice or do drills with him anymore. "Hello," Pallaton said, reaching forward and pressing his cheek to Arcturus's head, who gave a low vibrating grumble and nuzzling back.

"These are why Adela is so well protected," Arcturus chuffed, eyeing the group of elves before giving a look to Pallaton who nodded to his companion.

"They're our friends," he said gently, pressing a hand to Arcturus's neck. A lovely beast. Arcturus was more than large enough to carry the weight of three grown men, his wings thick and strong, his body large. He was a bigger dragon, a unique blend of Adelan lowland beast and Thunderblack blood. His horns turned transluscent and glass like the longer they got and his eyes were a startling vibrant blue.

"Avalaton is missing," Pallaton said softly, turning his attention to the dragon. Arcturus's eyeridges lifted in surprise and then fell into a frown, he nodded towards the elves and Pallaton nodded. "Arcturus suggested you help us find them," he gave a tired chuckle and he smoothed a hand along Arctrusus's neck again who leaned into it gently. He kept his gaze on the little blue elf, leaning in and pressing his nose to that ones chest before moving to the other two.

"He's never seen your kind before. He wishes for me to tell you that you smell like good people," Pallaton smiled slightly, glancing at Valys, "And that's a good a welcome as any. I informed two other Dragonriders to bring Arami and we'll take them with us to begin our search. It's forested so the most our friends will be able to do is drop us off, the trees might give them trouble and Arcturus is bigger than most." Pallaton paused for a moment, looking a little shocked.

"Ah, I forgot to introduce you. Anastolyr. Rhosiris, Valys...  This is Arcturus. Before I was Regent, I was a Dragonrider and he was my partner. He's in a semi-retirement now that I'm not part of active duty. I think he's expecting his first clutch, aren't you?" The Dragon looked at Pallaton before giving a nod, nudging his head against Pallaton impatiently. "I know you want to go find him, Arc, but we have to wait. Rho, Valys and I are ready but we need to wait for the soldiers to suit up." He sighed and looked past the elves towards the doors, nothing for a moment so he focused on them again.

It wouldn't hurt to ask them what they thought. "Do you still want to stay here? These aren't our pets. They're our friends and partners. At least in Ketra, they are. The other places have their quirks, which you'll learn if you choose to leave here."

nephero

If he was honest, Valys barely heard Rho's approach. Which was a little bit alarming, considering Valys' entire job centered around keeping alert and ready for trouble. He'd been fully prepared to bare fangs at a couple of nurses, after all, and yet there he was, oblivious to someone who held far more potential to be dangerous than someone whose occupation involved helping to rear children.

As wonderful as Lucille was, he sincerely doubted she had any assassination plots or weapons expertise. A thought that, for all its silliness, made Valys wildly uncomfortable. Something about foxes and geese, and not being able to plan for every single possibility. If someone got through, if someone got past the guards littered all through the castle, past the nurses, what then?

It was probably a marker of things that he wasn't concerned in the same manner as this for his own people. But, in all fairness, his own people had survived a trek countries long, down from blistering cold and into skin-ripping winds, across mountains and rivers and marshes and grass— and they were all so much older. So much more experienced. So much wiser to the terrors of the world.

Terrors like this. Like the possibility that something completely routine and innocent could result in utter disaster at any time. Could leave a man tense and lost and scared, no matter how much Pallaton was trying to hide it. Valys could hear it, in the way his breath hitched so slightly, in the way his heart thudded and took the heavy tang of fear along with it. Valys could see it, in the tightness around the Regent's eyes, in how his shoulders were set beneath his cape. In the way the corners of his mouth struggled to keep from dipping low and harsh and agonized.

Valys pushed his stride longer than perhaps he might have, normally, putting himself just behind Pallaton and to the right, only barely just. For a wild moment, Valys wanted to reach out, to touch the man's elbow, to squeeze tight to him where the other could feel the pressure and maybe, just maybe, take some solace from it. But it was a wild moment, a wild thought, and though his fingers twitched in response to his desire, they didn't move.

Not that it went completely unnoticed, though. Rho and Ana exchanged soft looks, knowing and nervous all at once. If Valys had eyes in the back of his head, he might have scowled, but he was altogether too busy scowling at what he was seeing ahead of him, brows knit tight and lips pursed into a thin line.

At the very least, all three elves were thoroughly distracted by the time they reached the stables, though as foreign as horses were to all of them, they were all of them very sure horses did not lay eggs. Or have nests. Or were that big.

Valys, for his part, had forgotten his scowl in favor of raising his brows, looking about before jerking back to look at Pallaton at the sudden noise the human made. It was apparently startling for the other two elves as well, though not for any of the Adelans nearby. It wasn't anything they'd ever heard before in their lives, though the sound of large, beating wings was unmistakable.

Rho jerked, stepping just so to place himself in front of Ana, while Valys moved forward, towards Pallaton just as the... the fucking dragon came to a landing before them. His hand still outstretched as if to grab onto Pallaton's arm, Valys stared bug-eyed at the huge creature, and then turned that same bug-eyed 'what the shit is even happening' look to Pallaton himself.

Because a giant lizard with wings was one thing. But talking to the creature as if holding an entire, genuine conversation was quite another.

Fate was a tricky bitch, and it seemed like Fate had decided Valys would be entwined with an absolute lunatic.

A quick glance to Rho and Ana showed that the other elves felt much the same, which wasn't helpful. Still, it kept them shocked long enough for the great beast to get close, and Ana made a soft, squeaking sort of sound as he was nudged. Rho stiffened, for his part, and for a moment Valys felt the wild panic of a much smaller and much lower-on-the-food-chain creature.

But this beast, this dragon, this Arcturus... Valys took a breath, and the hand that had been partially held out towards Pallaton curled back in, Valys' palm pressing to the great muzzle before him, thumbing the line of scales in an idle sort of way as he beheld it.

"No shit no one fucks with Adela," he said, finally, arching an eyebrow at Pallaton as if seeing the man in an entirely new light. Which was true. Because Pallaton was still talking as if Arcturus was speaking, which Valys' very acute hearing decided was not the case.

Ana seemed to be collecting himself rather quickly, and was already opening his mouth to speak before Valys cut him off:

"We said our allegiances. Your friends are ours. Even if you talk to yourself. Er, to your partner." Valys licked his lips a bit, before deciding he may as well double down on the lunacy. Feeling a bit like an idiot, he raised his hand up to give the dragon a little wave. "Hi."

VIGILANCE WALKING THE TOAST
Characters here!

__guilds, yo__
The Territok Orcs // The Oratok Orcs // Fausteth // The Ashmen

Draconian

Valys had the amazing ability of making Pallaton surprised.

In fact, he barked out an inappropriately loud laugh when the confirmation of 'no one fucks with Adela' was uttered. Arcturus nudged his middle and looked at Valys again. Pallaton smiled down at Arcturus before his expression became cool again. Finding it difficult to keep any expression except for 'depressed' off his face. Pallaton took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Trying not to think too hard about all of this. About the child who will be forced to return to the site of a massacre.

Pallaton reached forward and gently pressed a hand to Valys's bicep, giving it a squeeze in a hopefully calming way. The last thing he needed was for his guests to scream and faint at the sight of a dragon. He couldn't help the smile at the 'Hi' and Pallaton smoothed a hand up between Arcturus's eyes for a moment before he took Valys's hand and pressed it forward. Arcturus leaned in and the hand pressed fully to the spot between the eyes. A deep rumble rose out of the dragon and continued, almost like welcoming purr.

"Arcturus say's he'll let the other dragon's know about you and yours," Pallaton held Valys's hand for a moment before pulling away and looking to Ana then to Rho. Another glance behind them and there they were. Two Dragonriders. Suited up. Their own capes trailing behind them in the grass and rock. Arami looked so small beside them, a freshly washed uniform though the Greenclaw emblem wasn't on this one. Pallaton looked to Arami who cast a nervous glance to him before darting their eyes away. They looked at the elves, their gaze lingering on Ana and Rho for a moment before their elbow was caught by one of the Dragonriders with high ponytail, green eyes and a line down his chin from his bottom lip.

The other one had his hair shaved on the sides, a distant look in his golden eyes before he looked between Rho and Valys. He knew one of the orangey-yellowy ones were going to go with him, he just didn't know which. "Pallaton," He said, voice deep but soft, tattoo's peeking out from under his armor along his neck to rest at the bottom of his jaw, "I'm taking one of them, right?" He nodded over to Arami who was petting at a dragon, the rider hovering closely behind. "Arami will lead us there and stay in the sky with Eyrienes and Xakzon, which means I can take one of these two," He nodded between Rho and Valys.

He paused for a moment before reaching a hand out and smacking Pallaton's arm, "Your son is strong and smart, they all are. We'll get them home," He said softly. Pallaton looked down at the Dragonrider and nodded gently, glancing away and speaking "I'll take Valys. Rhosiris can go with you." Pallaton pat Arcturus on the cheek and nodded to him, "Go get ready, please. Tell them it's important and you need to be saddled immediately, bring Xakzon and Talupa with you," A nod from Arcturus and he turned away, a few hops a bit of a running start and he was up in the air again, headed to the Keepers to be given a quick clean and be saddled.  Xakzon, a lovely bronze-y coppery boy and Talupa, a smaller iridescent lady followed close behind.

Eyrienes looked to Kouta and they shared a nod. A quick glance to the elves, curious, before they looked to Pallaton again. With Arami farther away, Kouta spoke, though quieter, "Arami said it was a slaughter. Only Daxten, Kesrel, Sincovu and your son survived. My Lord, Arami feels so guilty, they haven't slept a wink and I had to force them to eat. I've been with them since they got here and..." A glance over his shoulder and fatherly concern was written on his face, "I suggest that once they get us the trail, Eyrienes and Arami return here. I can take Rho and Talupa and we can cover the sky. Three pairs of eyes. Talupa likes flying so I'm sure she won't mind." Pallaton sighed and nodded. He'd wanted Arami to guide them better but... What would they guide the group to?

Pallaton frowned gently, giving Valys's arm another squeeze before he turned to Ana. "I promise no harm will come to your kin," and then, as if on cue the dragons landed. Little more than glorified seats on their backs with some belts and hooks. Pallaton looked to Valys and nodded to Arcturus who had crouched down for optimal mounting. "Well, go sit, in the front or back, neither bothers me - though if you're in front of me I won't be able to see," He nodded to Rho, "Same for you. You two have long torsos."

Kouta gave a long look to Rho before eyeing him up and down. These elves were damn tall. "Sooner everyone gets belted in the sooner we can go. The tracks are a few days old already and the weather's been unhelpful. We need to bring back our Greenclaws." Kouta and Eyrienes nodded solemnly and Arami just kept their gaze down, hands trembling gently - though at least they were already saddled and slowly being belted in by Eyrienes. Unlike two fancy coloured elves.

nephero

To say that Valys was pleased with himself for making Pallaton laugh was an understatement. A more accurate and less misrepresented statement concerning Pallaton's laugh was that Valys had once been drunk enough to strip down to his skin and run directly into the northern sea whooping and hollering the whole while.

The moment Pallaton laughed, well, alcohol had nothing on the level of tingling warmth that struck him right then and there. Considering the direness of the circumstances, Valys figured it was only right for him to feel a little bit proud of himself. Just a little. A feeling that only skyrocketed whenever Pallaton reached out and touched his arm.

It was almost as if Valys had completely forgotten that the man had been effectively talking to himself, so bright eyed and warm faced as he was. And probably staring like a sap, at least until he was reminded of the others of his kind gathered not more than a few feet away. Clearing his throat a bit, Valys shot Ana a glance, pretending like he didn't see the bittersweet smile on the Procyon's face. Rho, as always, stood completely blank-faced, ever the sentinel and ever in control of himself. Bastard. Just wait until it was his turn.

Luckily for Rhosiris, though, the arrival of the other Dragonriders and the young soldier seemed to be a suitable distraction from much anything else. After all, the elves themselves were tagalongs in this operation, there for additional muscle and tracking prowess. All they needed was their orders, and so the elves stood silent, though Ana chanced a small smile towards the tiny soldier, Arami. If only to prove that the starstriders, gigantic bright shining beasts as they were, wouldn't suddenly pounce and try to eat them.

It didn't stop Valys from looking even more pleased with himself, however, at Pallaton's decision to have him ride along on Arcturus. It wasn't as if it really meant anything, he knew that. But the tiny knowledge that Pallaton would prefer his company, well. There went that suitably-drunk-enough-to-do-something-stupid feeling again. He was already moving, only distantly aware of Ana speaking behind him, the wordsmith eyeing Valys' back in a way that made him itch.

"I know," Ana said, giving another smile and inclining his head forward in a motion of acknowledgment. "I know you will look after them, but, if you'll forgive me saying so, my lord, they both have about three centuries a piece between them. I don't believe they'll need much in the way of gentle care."

"Wouldn't be much for bodyguards if so, now would we be? Can you even imagine? I think I might die of shame." Valys quipped from where he'd perched himself in a fluid motion, towards the back of the saddle so Pallaton wouldn't be flying blind, elbows rested on his knees as he looked down at the others still gathered. "Go on, your highness, get a move on."

Rho gave Valys a long, pointed stare, but didn't argue, turning back towards the only Dragonrider left without cargo.

Which left Ana the task of moving back to get out of all of their way, stopping only to toss a parcel of parchment up at his kinsmen after they were both seated.

"You've got three uses a piece," Ana explained with a grimace. "Try to avoid needing more than that, will you?"

"No promises," Rho said, already shoving the papers into his armor between the leather and his shirt for safe keeping.

"All right, Regent Valerius," Valys said after doing the same with his own bundle. "Let's go bring some seabirds home."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Draconian

Pallaton almost choked on his own tongue.

Your highness?

There was a tightness in his gut at the idea he was dragging a member of a foreign royal house to a slaughter. Golden eyes glanced to Rhosiris, watching for a moment. Watched the tall golden gentleman sort of just look grumpy and sit behind Kouta. Talupa, Kouta and Rhosiris were ready. NameLess Dragon Rider Name I Couldn't Find, Arami and Xakzon were ready to go.

Pallaton sighed heavily and took some comfort in having someone at his back. Even if it was a perfect stranger. His thoughts dwelled on his children, face dark and head low. What would happen if he lost his son? He already had to mourne the rest of the Greenclaws. He glanced to Arami, who plainly stared at the elves.

Ana grabbed his attention when little slips of paper were handed out. A curious glance but no questions. "We're just waiting for Xakzon," Pallaton said after they'd been seated and not moving for a few moments. Quickly enough, after a brief conversation between Dragonrider and tired passenger, they were off. A running start and Pallaton watched them take off into the sky.

Getting into the sky and landing were always the hardest parts. Pallaton's heart started beating. He watched when Kouta and Talupa go up. Circling and waiting. Then Arcturus started to run, wings folding out, beating the air until... Weightless.

Unconciously he'd held Valys' arm right around his middle. "There's no graceful way to do that," Pallaton said apologetically, voice raised to be heard over the wind. Then they were off. Arami and Xakzon in the lead.

"Get comfortable," Pallaton said, "It's bumpy but faster." Still, his grip didnt let up on Valys' arm, and he watched as Kouta and NameGoesHere kept a tight hold on their passengers.

nephero

Whatever smugness Valys felt about teasing Rhosiris, it left him almost immediately. Being up in the north didn't leave much room for things like horses, the largest animal being the wild caribou that moved in herds on the frozen islands Valys had once called home. Even so, his people had always been so much larger, it took teams of the beasts to pull a sled any considerable distance. Usually, it was quicker and quieter to just run.

Horses were a conundrum. Ungainly, finicky, prone to biting and kicking and rearing and just entirely not worth the trouble to buy and train just to get where they needed to go. It was quicker, and less painful, to just run.

Dragons were worse.

Valys leaned forward as Arcturus began his run, the rocking motions unfamiliar and terrifyingly close to throwing Valys right out of the saddle. It was even worse as those giant wings unfurled, flapped hard and took them all into the sky. He didn't need any incentive to cling to Pallaton's middle, both his arms clutched tight around the human's chest and face buried against his back. Valys didn't even have the chance to feel a little giddy at that— no, he was far too busy making sure he didn't die a horrible death plummeting out of the air.

If he'd had the courage to look out and over the skies between them and the other dragons, he might have had a little fun seeing Rhosiris looking equally unhappy about his situation. The prince didn't seem to take taking off too well, his face ashen though not hidden against his dragonrider's back like Valys himself was.

There was no way Valys could look. He sucked in breath even as the wind threatened to take it away. Everything was so loud— the wind, the thunderous flap of wings, and the equally thunderous sound of Pallaton's heart beating. The last part at least was a balm, kept him focused on the task at hand and not on the fact that one wrong turn and Valys would be very much dead.

Eyes squeezed shut, Valys took a breath, and shifted his head to where his forehead was pressed against the base of Pallaton's skull. A bit overly familiar, but then again, Valys had done worse. It wasn't a high benchmark to meet.

"NOT TO COMPLAIN—" He all but shouted against the wind, and thus, Pallaton's neck, "BUT HOW LONG ARE WE GOING TO BE UP HERE, I HATE IT!"

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Draconian

It was freeing to be up in the sky again with his partner. Pallaton closed his eyes, falling into the regular motions of being dragonback. He'd wished this had been a better situation. For what it was worth though, a silver lining, some spark in the dark sky. The giant elves being terrified was a little entertaining and Pallaton was rational enough to let himself feel such.

They were secure, and he saw how Arcturus turned his head slightly to eye his passengers. The dragon as well, was enjoying flying again, despite the fact that the situation wasn't ideal. Pallaton made sure to keep one hand on Valys' around his torso, as a sort of comfort. He wasn't used to passengers anymore. He wasn't used to flying anymore.

Pallaton didn't want his passenger to freak out overly much, so he turned his head slightly and awkwardly. Still, the Regent did his best to comfort his passenger. Except for the next thing he needed to say.

"A few hours," He said giving Valys a pat on the arm, "Until Arami recognizes something or we see smoke from a fire." Pallaton wasn't looking forward to finding the bodies of the Arami's comrades. Up ahead, he saw Eyrienes turn slightly, and suspected that maybe it wouldn't take a few hours after all. Maybe Arami had gotten lost, coming back from the tragedy. His heart flickered. The dragons were fast enough. The group was no doubt moving. They'd find the greenclaws. They'd take them home.

The wind was loud and cold, and Pallaton didn't know how to properly entertain his guest.

nephero

A few hours.

The last time someone said to Valys that it would take a few hours, they had to huddle around a single scraggly tree in the afternoon sun while Anastolyr had worked to acquire room and board for their merry band without having to sell off every scrap of clothing they had owned.

A few hours then had seemed to go on for a century, but now with the prospect of being in the air, jolting with every flap of Arcturus' wings, and the constant terror that one bad move and Valys would be little more than a smear on the ground far, far below...

Valys would have rather been stuck under that stupid tree for a whole day.

He tightened his grip on Pallaton, and fought to keep his breathing under control despite the wind's efforts to rob him of air. Both of his hearts were hammering, the jittery sensation echoing into his stomach. He held on even tighter, unable to help the high pitched tone that was escaping him with every breath outwards.

A tone that quickly became a squawk as he felt the dragon turning, a string of his native tongue spilling out in very long, very intense bursts of sound, and very easily understood to be specific curses.

All he could do was cuss and pray and cuss some more and hope that the little human spotted something soon.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Draconian

The panic from behind him was a little surprising.

Pallaton had assumed that for a race of people that were so large and so well structured, surely they did more than read books and learn languages. The noises and the final squawk had him worried for his passenger and he reached a hand to rest on the wrist of Valys. "You'll be fine, I promise," the wind ripped the words away so they were barely an echo even though he'd fully yelled them but he remained silent, watching for the signal that they were close.

It took as long as Pallaton had been worried for and he eventually just did his best to sooth his unfortunately panicked companion by the easiest thing to convey for the moment. It was a small comfort but while they were flying, he'd made sure to smooth his hand over one of the arms around his middle. He talked some too, about very random topics, reciting dinner etiquette and how to form a properly political letter that said so many things but also nothing, maybe the vibrations of his voice could be felt with Valys's face right there.

Finally the signal and Pallaton tightened his grip on Valys's arms and started to descent. It was the clearing arami recognized - one he knew was full of butchered bodies now ravaged by wildlife but there was smoke from a fire not long away. It didn't take long to descend, but finally Arcturus took to the ground.

"Valys, are you okay?" His voice was rough and Pallaton was worried, his hand moved up and down the Starstriders arm and he looked over his shoulder, " I forgot how rough flying can be for ... Everyone else."

nephero

Valys wobbled a bit on his feet once they dismounted, still hanging onto Pallaton's arm. The descent had been absolutely the worst part of the whole thing - the sudden view of the ground, racing up faster to meet them, was entirely too much for Valys' poor overworked hearts to handle. Still, he tried to feign nonchalance, patting his arm right back and voice slightly higher than normal - which was saying quite a bit, actually.

"Fine, I'm fine. Little fork first, right?" He'd really tried hard to listen instead of think of how high up they had been, but the reality was that etiquette was lost on him at the best of times. That was more Rhosiris' or Anastolyr's bag.

Speaking of...

He looked over to where the other dragons had landed, and saw his former high prince looking none too great, either. His dark skin had turned ashen, but unlike Valys, Rho seemed to handle the transition better and was already moving toward the clearing with slow, meticulous steps. Doing the job they had been brought along to do.

Valys grunted, shrugged off the heat of shame, and followed the other elf into the clearing. The stench was unbearable, which was to be expected. Blood stained the ground, the dirt kicked up some by passing scavengers, but otherwise undisturbed save for the clouds of flies that swarmed to feed on the rot. The big prizes were a little further to the sides of the clearing. Valys sniffed a bit, stepped lightly around a pool of blood, and followed the signs of dragging into the brush. Even though he was expecting it, the gore was a little startling. Valys blinked in reaction, then looked harder at the corpse. Slit throat, that was the killer. Everything else had been chewed on, leaving cylindrical marks behind.

He had to move around the splayed limbs, and gently pushed the head to the side to get a better look at the face. He sniffed again, before withdrawing, moving back into the clearing and staring at where Rhosiris was crouched similarly over another heap of remains. Valys clicked his tongue, and Rhosiris stood in a fluid motion, stepping back to the clearing as well.

"Who've you got?" Valys asked, in their native tongue, the words lyrical despite the bluntness of their meaning.

"The other kind of human, two of them." Rhosiris replied, his voice quiet as both elves moved across the clearing again, this time staring down at the dirt. Rhosiris frowned some, nudging Valys' side to pull him away from a third heap of remains. The other Phaeton pointed to the ground, and Valys squinted. That was a lot of footsteps moving all in one direction.

"Check to see if it goes far. Might just be part of the ambush." Valys looked around the clearing, frowning heavily. The stench wasn't as bad down this path. He cocked his head to the side to listen. Ravens weren't far away, chattering to themselves in annoyance at having their mealtime interrupted, but ravens were far too smart to go up against a dragon. Valys watched them for a moment, and they watched back. Finally, Rho called from the path, and Valys turned back to Pallaton and the other humans.

"There's tracks leading off. They're moving tight and their strides are small. They've got prisoners, and they think they have time. They've done this before." Valys spared a look at Pallaton, and said in a much gentler tone as he could manage, "They killed the adults. They were after the young."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__