Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strangers in the Woods

Started by Celegwen, July 15, 2018, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

Mathena Arkoniel sat on a small stool that she had unmasterfully carved from a fallen tree. It was clear that craftsmanship was by far one of her weaker skills, but she didn't need to impress anyone with her woodwork. She just needed to survive.

The smells of fresh pastries spread through the nearby woods, and Matti was pretty sure that animals, other than the few rodents which had already visited, were bound to show up. Baking was more than her way of feeding herself; it was her way of coping. Baking made her happy and was a harmless way to kill time.

She sat next to the fire, carefully watching the pastries so they didn't burn. Unconsciously, Matti glanced around her, unsure of what the sounds were. The evening brought a slightly darker atmosphere, but it was difficult to tell the difference from the afternoon, but the young woman felt the turn of the land more than watching the path of the sun.

A sudden hush fell near her, and Matti sensed the presence of a new energy. She wasn't sure who or what it was, but she felt an uneasiness settle in her bones. Standing up and approaching the small hut she was staying in currently, the woman clenched her fists, heart racing and blue energy surging through her arms. Two blades made of purely condensed energy appeared from her fists, and she looked nervously around her for the newcomer.

Keisen

Evan was just taking a nice stroll through the forest, when he noticed the smell of baked goods He loved pastries - it was perhaps his greatest weakness. Such a bizarre location for a bakery was on the other hand quite a conundrum. Thus Evan decided to investigate and should he get a cake in the process - well, that would be just a wonderful bonus.

The trip would not be quite as simple, it soon became apparent. Seeing a young lady with two glowing magical swords in her hands did raise some questions.

"Well now," Evan said as he stepped into the clearing, "when I was told that Atlas Verde is a little different from the rest of Serendipity, I didn't quite expect bakers to wield magical swords at the sight of a customer."

Celegwen

"Customer?" Matti said cautiously, narrowing her electric blue eyes at the man. "This isn't a bakery, sir."

She looked the newcomer up and down, too many thoughts running through her head to pick out a single one of them. Matti's instinct was to pick up and run, especially given his immediate confidence and lack of fear upon seeing the young woman's magical weaponry. Most people would've taken that as a clear sign she was wasn't open for friendly conversation.

Stepping into the open a bit more, Matti clenched her fists, slightly extending the blades unconsciously. "Identify yourself," she said. "Who are you?"

Keisen

"Not a bakery?" Evan asked, not even trying to hide his disappointment. "That's a pity..."

A gust of wind flew by and rustled all the nearby leaves, and Evan took a deep breath to appreciate the atmosphere of the forest in the evening. It seemed the woman in front of him didn't quite share the sentiment.

"A beautiful place you found for a... house," Evan said, taking off his coat. He really should have done it before entering the woods, now he had to mend it. "You really should relax a little," he commented, looking at the swords. "I just wanted to find a bakery, not pick a fight," he shrugged. "Oh by the way," Evan smiled and rubbed his neck. "The name's Evan, I tend to forget the introduction."

Celegwen

The girl found it almost difficult to keep any defensive attitude or angry burst around the man, Evan, as he called himself. Whether or not that was real name...

Matti cursed silently, telling herself not to be so assumptive about the stranger's intentions.

"Matti," she said cautiously, accepting his non-threatening aura by allowing her glowing swords to disintegrate into the air's energy streams. "And this isn't where I live. I move around."

Going to have to again now that someone managed to find me, she thought.

"Um..." Matti wasn't exactly accustomed to house guests, especially friendly ones or ones not scared off by her intimidating eyes or tendency to jump to fighting. "I guess, uh, do you want a strudel? I have cherry, raisin, and pecan." She waved her glowing blue hand towards the plate near the fire, still not stepping out from where she was standing.

Keisen

Evan nodded at Matti's introduction, though he did notice the caution. Nevertheless, her mannerisms were none of his business. He was neither a psychologist nor a behaviorologist, so it was of no great importance to him, even if it was curious at to how a young woman would have all the paranoia of a veteran soldier. Instead he decided to focus on the offer of a strudel, his sweet tooth itching. The sight of pastries and the sweet smell woven around like a cloud by the summer breeze did not provide any help whatsoever.

"Oh, I'd love to," Evan nodded. "They are one of my biggest weaknesses," he said with a smile. With a snap of his fingers a small chair, much like the one Matti was occupying, rose from the ground. It had wooden texture, but no finesse of a carved piece of furniture. Instead it seemed monolithic and entirely generic. Evan didn't seem bothered though as he took a seat. "Is there anything I can repay you with?" he asked. "It wouldn't be very honest of me to just munch on your food."