Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dangerous Virtues [Private]

Started by quaggan, July 09, 2018, 10:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

Willander nodded, carefully putting a stack of papers in the drawer. "Acceptable. Now then, about publishing your results..." He stared morosely at the pearl. "Since you don't have a title or any formal training, I don't know if that's what you're after. Is it?"

Keisen

Evan turned his eyes to the elf, looking not quite at him, but rather behind him. It was a valid question. He didn't remember if he had any titles before amnesia, but given the fact that he had yet to encounter anyone referring to him by any sort of meaningful title, he was sure there was none to his name. If Evan was his real name - he was fairly sure it was though. He caught himself wandering and quickly set his mind back on the question at hand. It was an easy one anyway.

"That depends on what kind of results we are discussing," he concluded. "If it is my theory of magic, then I might try and get it published if I get enough data during my stay in here. Some theories I might come up with and prove - too. Inventions... well, I think I decide on that what I actually get there."

quaggan

Willander picked out one of the pages he was browsing and slid it forward. It was detailing the terms of intellectual property ownership, as established earlier. He frowned, although it was hard to say whether he was reacting to Evan's words or just the whole task he's been assigned. "I see. How long do you intend to wait until publishing?" He quickly hurried to expound on his question. "Counting from the day of reporting your progress, not from the moment of making the discovery."

Keisen

"It depends," Evan replied, reading the contract presented to him. "Discoveries can take time to test and properly analyze... I think I would like some wiggle room when it comes to the timetables of publishing. Say, two month after reporting. Will that work?"

Yes, bureaucracy was rather tedious and the elf was not intent on discussing magic, so Evan was getting bored. That was why he didn't like dealing with this paper-pushing. Politeness was the only thing preventing him from sighing. Nevertheless, it was necessary, so he would endure and, if he's lucky, time for science may come soon.

quaggan

The elf finished forming another stack of papers, pushing them aside to make even more unnecessary room. "How long would you be willing to delay the publication, should need arise?" he asked. This time, he didn't offer any additional explanation, but the matter was simple enough to grasp. After all, if a scholar under the Whitechalk patronage discovered something important enough to seriously alter the political, economic or literal landscape, the family would probably want time to get their pieces in place before the discovery went public.

Keisen

Evan raised an eyebrow at this. "Two months should be ample time for a need to arise, make itself known, be discussed and satisfied," he replied. "If the noble house wishes wishes to delay the publication any further, then I believe a case-to-case approach will be appropriate. The agreement can make provisions for such discussions and decisions, but I see little need in specifying it any further."

Honestly, bureaucrats...

quaggan

"Couldn't have said it better myself" Willander muttered, apparently sharing in Evan's distaste of the bureaucratic bullshit. He quickly cut himself off, rather than risk acting unprofessional again. He pushed one last sheet towards Evan and began putting the rest down in the drawer. He freed up one hand, telekinetically making up for it, in order to indicate the quill and inkwell. "I recommend reading the details before signing."

Keisen

Evan took the paper and carefully read through it. Looking at all those letters and words detailing the nuances of their agreement Evan just couldn't suppress the though of it being a waste of both paper and ink. In a better world people wouldn't actually break their promises, but unfortunately there was little choice. Thus, having finished the paper, he took the quill with a quick "thank you" and put his signature in the appropriate place. Hopefully now he would be able to get to his magic.

With the bureaucratic part being officially over, Evan let out a small sigh of relief.

quaggan

Willander nodded and collected the papers, muttering a few spells under his breath - probably something to keep all documents together and preserve them from harm. "I will have a copy for your use, signed by Highmaster Whitechalk, delivered to- do you have an address? A place you're staying at?"

Keisen

"Yes," Evan nodded. "That tavern... Can't for the life of me remember it's name."

It was a completely unremarkable tavern the likes of which Evan had seen hundreds if not thousands though, so remembering each individual name became somewhat a challenge for him somewhere along the way. There was something about land,asses in the name though. Mountains... Oh yes!

"It believe the name is Mountain Whispers tavern," he said. "Not too far from here. I'm renting a room there at the moment. Should I change my 'residence', I will notify you."

quaggan

Willander didn't say a word, waiting patiently for Evan to find the name of the tavern. He didn't volunteer any, despite being clearly more familiar with the area - either he wasn't the kind to frequent taverns at all, or didn't think that this sort of jogging one's memory would work. He took the name down on a free piece of paper. "Very well. We will send a message once your laboratory is set up, or should there be a problem you need to know."

As Evan was leaving, another servant approached him - an nondescript-looking halfling wearing the colours of the family. "Highmaster Whitechalk wishes to speak to you". She thrust a small box into his hand. "Open it exactly at ten hour this evening."

Keisen

"Thank you," Evan replied, giving the elf a polite smile. "I'll be waiting then." With bureaucracy out of the way Evan expected to have some free time, maybe explore the local area a little, he was distracted from these thoughts by the Whitechalk servant. He accepted the gift with a polite nod.

"Very well," he replied. "Thank you for the delivery." With his curiosity now renewed, Evan decided to go exploring for some time, but be back to the tavern by ten. It promising to be a very interesting evening.

quaggan

The box, as it would turn out, contained a small frame made out of metal twisted in ways that would give any student of geometry a solid headache. There must have been some sort of a trigger to it, for upon unfolding, it would stretch to its limits to form a doorway tall enough to reach the ceiling and wide enough to almost not fit in the room. Clearly, it was designed to accommodate a variety of species, not just the humanoid majority. At exactly 10 hour, a portal shimmered into existence, fitting cleanly between the frames.

Keisen

Evan grinned when he saw common sense denying shape of the object within the box. He made a mental note to ask Siana about the way one creates such forms. It would be quite interesting indeed. He had to make another mental note as the frame unfolded and formed a doorway. Now this was not just nfolding, it looked like creation of matter. Or perhaps the matter on question was collapsed into some sort of secondary dimension which existed in an inactive portable frame. Oh, that was certainly something to ask about.

The other, albeit less interesting ridddle was, of course, the purpose of this frame. Based on its shape - a doorway - one would infer that it was supposed to lead somewhere. Considering that it was without a doubt a magical artifact, it was entirely expected that it was indeed a portal. The construction of such artifacts was a process Evan had long been curious about, but ultimately considered his theory a little more important, thus never actually taking the time to properly research portals.

"Well now," Evan said with a small smile on his face as he looked at the nearby clock, it was exactly ten in the evening and the frame filled with shimmering magic, "isn't that simply interesting."

Smile never leaving his face, Evan stepped through.

quaggan

Behind the portal was a lavishly decorated office. A rich plush rug covered the floor, thick enough to completely muffle one's footsteps. Very little of the walls was visible - large bookcases guarded them jealously, proudly displaying their contents. There was a window at the back of the room, but one glance was enough to determine that it was an enchanted surface rather than a real one - both the landscape it was showing and the warm daylight it let in could not have come from outside.

In front of the window stood a gathering of comfortable-looking armchairs, surrounding a fancy table. One of them was taken by Siana Whitechalk, behind the other stood a large golem bearing a tray with a full tea set on it. "Please sit" she motioned to the other free seats.

Looked like Bianca did her job well and delivered the temporary portal. Now they could start having a conversation - and better get to the point fast. She could command the time to move faster, but not recover any. "I am willing to work with you on your research" she began. There was value to be found in it, and this sort of insight was irreplaceable when advancing the cause of progress. And perhaps even she'd learn something new about her ability - that alone would be worth it.

"I have some conditions for any sort of work that involves my magic, but I believe we can reach an understanding."

Keisen

Evan passed through the shimmering veil of magic and took a moment to look around. Well, his guess was correct, the doorframe contained a portal. He stood in a fairly nice room, probably considered quite fancy among the local nobles. Well, such details mattered little to him, as long as science was discussed, he would hold that conversation under a bridge in a rain. Though it was always nice to sit in a comfortable chair which Evan too with a nod of gratitude and a quick "thank you".

"Well, I'm quite glad to hear that," Evan replied. "Opportunities like this arise once in a lifetime - a fact I am sure you recognize, otherwise we would not be talking at the moment. Any and all limitations are acceptable, as long as they are reasonable," he hummed. "You probably want to keep some findings about the hows of your chronomancy a secret, that's fine, not all theories have to explain everything about their sources of data, especially if said sources are sensitive."

quaggan

She nodded. "If I am to let you on confidential information such as the mechanics of my magic, I can allow it if you took the Twilit Bond." His face didn't express recognition - of course, he said that he had amnesia, she shouldn't assume that he would know what was she talking about.

"It's a magical oath. It prevents the subject from speaking about the matters tied to the sworn subject. What we learn would only be discussed in my presence alone. It would not affect your ability to share the knowledge you had previously - it doesn't work backwards. Are my terms acceptable?"

Keisen

"That sounds reasonable," Evan nodded after some consideration. "Though I have to ask if you will be able to allow public disclosure of certain facts which we both deem harmless."

He leaned back in his chair, looking at the windows. "We'll need a very precisely worded description of the oath, it wouldn' be prudent to just agree to a magic bond on a general phrase."

quaggan

Siana's lips formed a confident smile. "But of course." She chose it for this exact reason - it could be highly specific and precise. She heard stories about clever people tricking someone into taking the Twilit Bond and taking advantage of the wording. It wasn't relevant to the current situation, but it described well the accurate nature of the spell.

The golem began walking, heading to one of the bookshelves. Its heavy footsteps were muffled by the rich carpet. It kept balancing the tea tray in the crook of its elbow as it tried to pull one book out with its thick fingers. The chronomancer kept talking, oblivious to the creature's troubles. Finally, the construct managed to pull one tome from the bookshelf and place it on the table. Siana traced a glyph on the enchanted leather making up the cover, and the book opened to the desired page. She turned it over for Evan to read.

The golem stood up awkwardly, moving the tray to its hands again. With no other directive, it began to pour some tea.

Keisen

Evan spared a passing glance at the golem - the contracts were fairly interesting, but rather inconsequential for his research. He had a fairly good guess how one was created, but it was neither engaging nor important enough to conduct an in-depth research. He took the offered book and looked through the intended pages. The information was as expected, details on the oath and whatnot.

"Agreeable," Evan nodded, giving the book back to Siana. He did not really like the idea of entering a magic bond. It was very restrictive and he liked his freedom... The possible information far outweighed these reservations though. Yes, tea looked indeed rather appealing amidst these deliberations..