Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lost in the Woods

Started by Incandesa, December 31, 2018, 10:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incandesa

When the young woman awoke in the forest that night, she did not know who she was or why she was there. She only knew the whispers of the trees, though she knew not how she knew. "Run! Malala, Run!" they both shouted and not. And she did, as soon as she heard the sounds of a rather large creature coming towards her. Whatever it was, was making loud, terrifying noises. Man or beast, she did not wish to find out. While the trees did their best to clear a path for her, they couldn't always move in time, and in the dark she could barely see. She cut herself on a sharp branch on more than one occasion. It didn't help that she already seemed to have cuts and bruises at various stages of healing that she seemed to have gotten before she woke up in the forest. Confused and alone, all she could do was continue to run.

Draconian

It was his turn to take watch.

Well, Lucas usually took first watch so the boys could get some real sleep. He ran himself ragged but over the years and the stint he did with the military taught him the valuable lesson of being able to fall asleep very quickly for short amounts of time. If there was a moment to spare, Lucas was probably taking that moment to sleep.

Usually nothing happened. When they were found out, it was usually during the day time and he and the boys could hear who ever it was coming.

Luc usually did small carvings to waste time and stay awake. Various tiny wooden creatures that were supposed to be animals were left just about everywhere they stayed and he was working on one such animal when he heard a rustling in the bushes. His head jerked up and he lowered his hands, eyes staring out into the darkness because it didn't sound like many people.

One person he could take. These days it took more mental energy to come to terms with slitting a throat than actual effort to press a blade into flesh.

Slowly, he placed the little carving down and held his knife out, brushing his hair from his face and de-tangling it from the beard he'd let grow a little too much.

To his surprise, a young woman shot past him like a spit. He blinked, confused, before he got up and gave chase. Just what was she running from?

Regardless, he couldn't get a stranger go and his boots hit the ground and he rushed after her. It wasn't much effort to catch up, people running on terror instead of calculation took strange turns and weren't exactly faster.

"Stop!" He shouted before he curled around her chest and he lifted her off the ground with a grunt. "What's chasing you?" Lucas held her up off the ground so she couldn't run away, glancing behind where she'd run from, "I want to help you, but if you choose to run away from me, I'm not following you."

Incandesa

Art by Me

Malala gave a startled yelp as she felt her body leave the ground. Her legs continued to kick in the air and she struggled to push the stranger's arms off her to no avail. Awkwardly, she looked over her shoulder, trying to catch a glimpse of his face. She assumed this was her pursuer. Was he a bandit? She began to panic even more. How was she supposed to deal with a bandit?

Then, she heard his words, though it took a few moments for them to sink in. The young woman's heartbeat still pounded in her chest, but she began to calm down. "I-I don't know," she said, shakily. "The trees..." Malala wasn't sure how to finish that statement. Talking Trees. How ridiculous would that sound?

She was a pleasant, if foreign looking woman. The soft sound of her voice not carry an accent as one would expect. The light green dress she wore seemed originally decent for practical wear, but it was not so now. It was covered in dirt, and tattered.  Her dark skin blended into the night, but her fearful emerald eyes seemed to glow in the dark like a cat's. Her silver hair and white freckles on her cheeks reflected the light of the moon.

In the distance, the subtle sound of branches could be heard crunching, and on the top of the hill stood a mountain lion ready to pounce.